Anime Discussion Thread

I watched the first arc of JoJo and will watch more eventually.
I have to make this clear: Yamada-kun is not a harem. Obviously it's a romcom but yeah.
Oh. I had assumed based on the whole 7 girls thing and the kiss power that it would be. I might just pick it back up then if for nothing else than Saori Hayami's voice.

I finished the first half of Fate/Zero yesterday and I'm liking it so far. I've heard some criticism about all the talking but it hasn't really bothered me. There was one scene in ep 1 where two guys literally walked in a circle while talking for minutes straight that was ridiculous, though.

Anyone else here a fan of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure? I haven't read the manga at all (and that stuff is decades old) and I never touched the 90's anime of part 3 either, but I was pretty hooked when I came upon the 2012 anime adaptation, which is nearing the end of the third part originally done in the 90's. Meanwhile the manga is on part 8, and the parts keep getting longer. JoJo is... well it's just about the most absurd thing ever, but man is it entertaining. I'm fully caught up with the anime, I watch it weekly and it's probably my current favorite anime. It's not everyone's cup of tea since it's so, well, Bizarre (hueh) and it can be seen as a typical macho-man-fighting anime of sorts and I understand that. Between the non-stop classic rock references in character names and ending songs and the action and comedy, though, it appeals to me pretty well, and the fanbase has kept strong for what's probably thirty years now. It's always been huge in Japan but this anime revival has really caught everyone else's attention, and I'm no exception.

JoJo's is absolutely one of my favorite mangas ever, I think I picked it up and blazed through it right around the time the Phantom Blood arc was getting an anime adaptation. Stardust Crusaders is still ongoing and has done a wonderful job in both keeping to the source material and throwing in small surprises every now and again. I'm sure I've said this before, but I highly recommend that everyone give the series a look.

Just finished season one, of Log Horizon and thoroughly enjoyed it, I admit I watched it because of SAO but it's so different to SAO. I prefer dub, so probably will wait for the season two dub later this year.

I finished the first half of Fate/Zero yesterday and I'm liking it so far. I've heard some criticism about all the talking but it hasn't really bothered me. There was one scene in ep 1 where two guys literally walked in a circle while talking for minutes straight that was ridiculous, though.
I can't recommend Fate/Zero enough; keep watching! The first episode is arguably the worst in the series, as it's essentially a 50 minute info dump. Hopefully you found the next handful of episodes to be a lot more enthralling. The second half of the anime is better than the first half, imo.

Also,
Kotomine needs to die a slow, painful death for literally stabbing Tohsaka in the back & strangling Iri to death

WARNING MASSIVE SPOILERS FOR ONE OF THE BEST SCREWED UP ANIME EVER AND ANY ANIME I COMPARE IT TO!

I have watched Angel Beats and not even that could prepare me for this, not even Angel Beats could prepare me for this!! *cries in a corner*
Code Geass had one of the best endings ever, and still made me sad and it does not compare to this. (watch it already if you haven't yet, it's awesome and dubbed!)
I cried for 5 hours when I finished watching freaking Angel Beats (I do not wish I was kidding when I say this, as an Otaku only has pride for any feelings they feel when they have watched an anime), and it barely gives me half of my current feels. Oddly enough I am not crying for more than 30 minutes over the end of this one, but it's still massive amounts of FEELS! *cries* She had his heart the entire tiiime and and they found each other in the next life! *floods my state with tears and contributes considerably to rising sea levels*...ok I now see that NOTHING is as sad as that, even a mountain of orphan puppies suddenly dying, but Future Diary still gave me too many FEELS. *cries more*

Can any one else recommend a really awesome and shortish anime like Code Geass, or something awesome and sad like Angel Beats as long as you can send me anti depressants that don't react negatively with my anti-anxiety meds? My gore limit is pretty much Attack on Titan and/or The Future Diary.

Now if you'll excuse me I have to cry myself to sleep and deal with possible PTSD induced nightmares of FUN as it's 6:30 am where I am and I am tired. *note to mods I was very tired when I wrote this as of right now, sorry if the top warning had too much caps lock in bold*

Hello fellow Otakus I have to sleep really soon (3 minutes), however let me say this, Lelouch vi Birtania is my spirit character, and on my death bed I hope to have done as awesome things as he has.

Also if you or a friend has not watched Code Geass (both seasons) and you/they have been watching anime for over a year I will now just start weeping openly for humanity's future and pray to Arceus that you are not banished to a world of eternally bad anime (cough cough Fairy Tail, it's 200+ episodes in and no one has died yet? Are...are the writers stupid or just out of touch with what makes a show decent?)...yet.

Can any one else recommend a really awesome and shortish anime like Code Geass, or something awesome and sad...

Since L is your icon I can tell you have seen and are a fan of Death Note, which is my personal favorite anime of all time. It's not an anime, but they made a live-action Japanese Drama TV show for Death Note and it just ended a few weeks ago. If you're a fan of Death Note I HIGHLY recommend it. They take the story in a different direction and put in more human emotions. One scene in particular was very sad that wasn't in the manga/anime. The actor that plays Light is phenomenal and played the role perfectly (I didn't like the Light from the live-action movies). L on the other hand is changed a bit and is kind of bad. It doesn't ruin the show, but the actor/portrayal of L definitely holds the show back. Regardless, it was really fun to watch.

Even better, at the end of the last episode they revealed a trailer for a live-action movie sequel to Death Note taking place 10 years later and involving 6 notes in the human world. Get hyped.

Since L is your icon I can tell you have seen and are a fan of Death Note, which is my personal favorite anime of all time. It's not an anime, but they made a live-action Japanese Drama TV show for Death Note and it just ended a few weeks ago. If you're a fan of Death Note I HIGHLY recommend it. They take the story in a different direction and put in more human emotions. One scene in particular was very sad that wasn't in the manga/anime. The actor that plays Light is phenomenal and played the role perfectly (I didn't like the Light from the live-action movies). L on the other hand is changed a bit and is kind of bad. It doesn't ruin the show, but the actor/portrayal of L definitely holds the show back. Regardless, it was really fun to watch.

Even better, at the end of the last episode they revealed a trailer for a live-action movie sequel to Death Note taking place 10 years later and involving 6 notes in the human world. Get hyped.
*Squeals like an exploud on helium*
Also I changed my profile picture to L because I thought having conspiracy though battles with people would help in the current game of werewolf going on now.....it didn't and people now hate me there for making "contentless posts". I tried to get into character and help OK! *cries otaku rejection tears*

I honestly liked Code Geass more because the ending.....there are no words asides from perfect.
But my problems with Death Note were 1 Light kinda sucked because of what he did to the poor wife of the detective trailing him at first! Heart = sad. :(
Also he was a bit of a jerk read CRAAZY god complex, I pretty much watched past the first few episode going "what will this crazy nut job do next *grabs popcorn* "
The last thing I truly didn't like about the show was "the second half of the series never happened, the second half of the series never happened, the second half of the series never happened, Light is still alive, Light is still alive, Light is still alive. *rocks back and forth while crying* "

I...I fell asleep while watching anime today after working on homework for 18 hours then going to league, wait I was actually awake for more like 25 hours straight. This is the first time I've ever fallen asleep watching something anime related, now how many Hail Lelouches do I have to do in order to repent my Otaku sin?

Woops, bumpin' an old thread, but I've gotta spread my love for this anime everywhere I go.

Baccano! is my all time favourite anime. I've watched it 14 times. It's 16 episodes long, and has some of the best action I've ever seen. It's the spiritual prequel to Durarara!!, as they are by the same author, and take place in the same universe.

Here's my elevator pitch for it:
It takes place in 1930s New York, and features a cast of gangsters, bootleggers, murderers, alchemists, and immortals, set to an exhilarating '30s style jazz soundtrack.

It's also where my username comes from.

Just finished watching all of Gurren Lagann, and I have be hit by this feel copter inbound.jpg I...I think I need a medic we need a medic he was hit by the feels.jpg....there must be a sequel, there must be.....I feel too empty inside to internet now.... Anyone have any advice on what to do with my life now?

Well, you could always watch the two movies (which are basically just a retelling of the TV series with a few new scenes), or read the high school spin-off manga. :p

Well, you could always watch the two movies (which are basically just a retelling of the TV series with a few new scenes), or read the high school spin-off manga. :p
Oh my glob those sound worse, make my brain stop thinking of them and thus catching on fire, MAKE IT STOOOOP!

All school spin-offs are horrible; it's just a fact of life.
What's with anime's obsession with highschool? It's just the place you go to to learn even more stuff you only remember until the test, forget about it forever, take more standardized testing that doesn't test you on anything you should reasonably know or use in real life, EVER unless you're a mathematician or get a major in useless and utter BS.....or in my case get PTSD that sticks with you FOREVER and weekly nightmares, and no, not even the Knightmare Frame kind, which would be a MUCH better use of the funds that the US sinks into terrible education.

What's with anime's obsession with highschool?

An interesting question!

Part of it is actually something of a Japanese cultural thing, where it's pretty common to feel a sort of nostalgia for your high school years (even if they may have been crappy or uninteresting in reality). Media in general makes a lot of money from nostalgia, especially recently (which is part of the drive behind the massive amount of reboot/remakes we've been seeing in the movie/game industry lately), and Japanese media (like anime) is no different.

Another part is that it's often done purely for humour's sake, as a sort of contrast to the actual situation of the anime/manga which is in no way similar to a school situation at all. Though usually when it's done with this premise it's kind of a short gag.

The third and most cynical part is purely because it's become very trendy.

The trend may or may not have initially started with Shinji's daydreams in Evangelion.

You would have thought that I would have stumbled upon this thread sooner but... yeah I didn't. >.>

If it has never come up my username is a bit misleading: when I started going by "otaku" I was in that irritating phase where all animé must be awesome and many other annoying things one soon outgrows. Still besides already having used it on various message boards, the fact that I don't get out much and am quite obsessive in general (as opposed to just being an [insert interest] kind of otaku) means I've kept it. Plus... I'm lazy and stubborn.

So now the question is do I answer some of the (now ancient) comments or do I just post what I've watched and enjoyed? How about I do a little of both plus give us a topic for discussion.

...cough cough Fairy Tail, it's 200+ episodes in and no one has died yet? Are...are the writers stupid or just out of touch with what makes a show decent?)

Character death does not make a show decent. Characters not dying doesn't make a show decent. Being decent makes a show decent and character death (or lack thereof) is just a tool in a storyteller's arsenal. Also is the reason this comment wasn't marked as a spoiler because it was inaccurate?

In other words yes characters do die in Fairy Tail, however it is quite, quite rare. I don't think it has so far ever been a hero unless we include flashbacks.

On a scale of "gritty realism" to "downright silly", Fairy Tail exists in a very heightened reality that dips its toes into "silly" every now and then. Death should occur quite rarely in Fairy Tail because it doesn't fit the style of the story and it has a fantastic element (magic) that even though it can make it easier to kill a character also provides in story explanations for why someone could survive something that ought to kill him or her or it, or even why death didn't "stick". I'd compare it a bit to Dragon Ball except instead of faking us out by having characters die just to get wished back, they just don't fake dying in the first place. ;)

I don't know if I've watched a series that uses death too much... plus discussing it seems like spoiler territory so:

Black Bullet might come close, however it may also simply be that the animé is adapted from a longer work so deaths that would have had a bit more build up and lead time seemed to come rapid fire. Attack on Titan has a setting where even the characters that survive are pushing credibility because things are just so fatal. Hunter X Hunter is the kind of show where if you enjoy a character, you hope and pray they survive the arc and never return. Some do survive but the odds are not so great. It does seem to use these deaths well, though.

An interesting question!

Part of it is actually something of a Japanese cultural thing, where it's pretty common to feel a sort of nostalgia for your high school years (even if they may have been crappy or uninteresting in reality). Media in general makes a lot of money from nostalgia, especially recently (which is part of the drive behind the massive amount of reboot/remakes we've been seeing in the movie/game industry lately), and Japanese media (like anime) is no different.

Another part is that it's often done purely for humour's sake, as a sort of contrast to the actual situation of the anime/manga which is in no way similar to a school situation at all. Though usually when it's done with this premise it's kind of a short gag.

The third and most cynical part is purely because it's become very trendy.

The trend may or may not have initially started with Shinji's daydreams in Evangelion.
I'd imagine some of it is an attempt to appeal to their target audience. I've also heard it suggested that part of the high school nostalgia has to do with Japan's workaholic culture so people in their overly demanding workforce would long for the days when all they had to worry about were exams.

What's with anime's obsession with highschool?

What's with the USA's obsession with High School? ;)

Both are featured heavily in works of fiction because both are relatively universal experiences, with High School often serving as that that point where you can blend nostalgic innocence with not-quite-adult-level characters. I mean, Attack on Titan: Babies! instead of Attack on Titan: Junior High... no wait, that one might oddly work. XP

Also

It's just the place you go to to learn even more stuff you only remember until the test, forget about it forever, take more standardized testing that doesn't test you on anything you should reasonably know or use in real life, EVER unless you're a mathematician or get a major in useless and utter BS.....or in my case get PTSD that sticks with you FOREVER and weekly nightmares, and no, not even the Knightmare Frame kind, which would be a MUCH better use of the funds that the US sinks into terrible education.

Without getting overly preachy, the short version is "your mileage may vary". My own education in government schools could have been better, but it was probably at least as much my own fault as that of the system (I didn't take things seriously or try to challenge myself). Of course I'm also likely much older than you. XD

My high school experience was incredibly crappy. At the same time, I'm still nostalgic for parts of it. But also at the same time, I still don't care much for high-school-centric anime/media, so there you go. :p

Back