Anime Discussion Thread

To keep it within the PG13 level, yaoi is essentially an anime where the protagonists, and I guess many characters within the anime, are gay (of the male/male variety). Simulcast is a simultaneous broadcast, which I guess in your case the sub and sub are released together.

Specifically yaoi focuses on romantic or sexual relationships between the male characters, and if Wikipedia is to be believed it targets mostly female readership, as opposed to say actual homosexual readers.

Simulcast means you can watch the show outside of Japan either at the same time or shortly after it airs in Japan. For example, Crunchyroll simulcasts have just an hour delay, just enough time to quickly subtitle a show. Note that I am not saying the delay is always for this purpose, but that there are some shows they (and other streaming sites) subtitle themselves.

Edit: Got a little something wrong in the spoilers, so I fixed it. Sorry. ^^'

So... I haven't been paying close attention to the current season's new shows. That means I can stumble across something that others are already talking about pretty easy. Today it led to Re: Zero.

I ended up watching the first nine or ten episodes (Crunchyroll has an Episode 1A and 1B) earlier today. I went to watch Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, this caught my eye and I figured "Why not?" and yeah, just sat through 10 episodes in a row. @_@ I've done a few other things since then, but I am itching to see the next episode tomorrow!

I don't want to spoil too much, but the basic premise requires some spoilage so I'll still put it in tags.

So a lot seems typical. 18 year-old male Japanese protagonist: Subaru! This one is the slacker, shut-in except he also works out to try and stay in shape. You know, the kind of unicorn-jackelope that could exist in real life, but is really, really hard to believe in.

He is crossing the street when he somehow crosses into what is becoming more and more the typical pseudo-medieval fantasy style world. For those used to more classical takes on such things like Lord of the Rings, I just mean inject more D&D or World of Warcraft or whatever style flavor into it. From there he has adventures often expecting more than he can do because his one real power is... re-spawning from the save point.

While it isn't presented as being stuck in a video game, that is what it amounts to: when Subaru dies in this world, he goes back to a particular moment. He retains his knowledge, but the rest of the world resets. This is his big advantage, and his big curse. He isn't dying in typical video game fashion, but typical fantasy game fashion, like having his stomach slit open and bleeding out to death. So yeah, it isn't horribly graphic, but some of that is because so far we are only seeing the broadcast version, and that is censored. Watching a review some of the censorship I didn't even notice because I wasn't expecting that level of gore... and also because it wasn't so crazy that you couldn't help but notice the censorship, a la Jojo's Bizarre Adventure. If you're a fan of copious amounts of gore you might be disappointed and if you are sensitive to it, you might find it too much.

Probably the most spoiler-y thing I'll mention is

once he gets past a certain point, apparently the "check point" does move ahead. He doesn't re-live the same day over and over again, at least not once he gets past a certain point. So far I believe there have only been two such "checkpoints".
Also I'm a bit worried it is going the haram route, but it might just be the "Half of the characters will be attractive female types, with the rest split between attractive male types, cute animals, and then everything else."

Last edited:
i like the jojo anime too... it may have left out stuff from the manga, but i'm cool with it

also a special mention for fairy tail... as far as shonen goes, i quite like it somehow

If you want a good anime my favorites are Code geass,Seraph of the End (Owari no Seraph), Blue Exorcist (Ao no Exorcist), and Servamp.

Just PLEASE if you want to watch Servamp do NOT watch dub tbh it stinks.

And I may or may not be in love with Lelouch's voice from code geass, it is my favorite anime and always will be!

So lately (with minor spoilers if you've never seen any of these) I've been
  • Trying to get into the mood to rewatch Death Note as it is slated to leave Netflix September 1st. Weird, it released waaaay before XY: Kalos Starter Set so I would have thought it would have rotated out a while ago. ;)
  • Sort of enjoying Re: Zero. This is a hard show to sit through; it isn't that it is bad or anything, the story just takes a turn that from a literary standpoint may be quite good but which from a "Relax and enjoy" standpoint is counterproductive. I basically can only handle about five minutes of it at a time anymore, and even find myself "cheating" and skimming the episode because I almost literally cannot stand the suspense as the protagonist so often does something stupid and... well if you're watching you know. So odd that I can handle what should be the disturbing aspects with little issue, but its the stuff I can so identify with that take "cringe" to a new level.
  • 91 Days surprised me by being pretty awesome. The prohibition era setting is a nice change of pace from my usual fantasy or modern/near future based shows.
  • JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (Part 4) actually nearly pulled a Re: Zero on me as I got to a two-parter where I kind of also had to skim. I am such a wuss when it comes to stuff that I guess resonates with my real life screw ups. Escapism take me away! XD
  • One Piece got back onto its story! Yay! Even if the pace is still so slow, its hard not to like or even love this series. At least for me and I'm guessing a lot of others.
  • Naruto Shippuden is similar, but it has worn out more of its welcome. Unlike One Piece I'm ready for this to be over. If I hadn't made it this long without spoilers, I'd just try to read the manga. I even am "cheating" and skipping most of the filler content until after the fact (though I have heard that some of it is quite good).
  • Not what most would consider animé, but I did watch Dreamworks' Voltron series on Netflix and I really enjoyed it! I vaguely remember Voltron from when I was quite, quite young (like four or five), and it didn't actually air on normal local networks; instead one just must have got the rights to 2 weeks worth of episodes periodically as an "event" (probably trying it out in terms of ratings or something).

Back