'Alter Genesis,' 'High Class Pack 2019' Sets Announced for Japan!

Frost

Ice/Fairy Stan Account
Rust in pieces, Gen 7 TCG, just don't make things even worse for us in Gen 8.

Blob55

Aspiring Trainer
At least Gen 7 TCG brought back old formats like Babies and Mega Evolution (though we don't know if only Sableye of the missing Megas will be the only one to get one), as well as long neglected Pokémon that haven't had a card since Gen 5.

MasterGallade

Instagram: @theavalonlegacy
I'm just gonna take a shot in the dark here and say that having Dialga/Palkia and Solgaleo/Lunala for the dummy artwork is just a placeholder for what the real mascot of the set is, since they've never had more than one Tag Team on a single pack artwork so far, they previously had Buzzwole/Pheromosa as a placeholder for Fullmetal Wall before Lucario/Melmetal was revealed, and Alter Genesis seems too cool of a name for a set starring only those two new Tag Teams lol

By now we know that each main set in this block features 3 Tag Team GXs. This may just be a pipe dream, but I think the mascot could reasonably be Arceus & Silvally-GX; not only can the words "alter" refer to Silvally and "genesis" refer to Arceus, but Dialga/Palkia are from DPt, as is Arceus, while Solgaleo/Lunala are from SMU, as is Silvally. Plus I feel like if any Pokemon would fit being in a Tag Team with Arceus, it would have to be Silvally :D

Frost

Ice/Fairy Stan Account
At least Gen 7 TCG brought back old formats like Babies and Mega Evolution (though we don't know if only Sableye of the missing Megas will be the only one to get one), as well as long neglected Pokémon that haven't had a card since Gen 5.
When every set is nearly 200 cards and there's 50 ultra rares a set, I should freaking hope they would have dusted off every forgotten Pokemon.

Green778

It's always darkest before the dawn...
If you exclude Vileplume/Decidueye, there weren't any "Seismitoad EX" level of degeneracy... but that's subjective, isn't it?

Pikachu6319

Scooby
When every set is nearly 200 cards and there's 50 ultra rares a set, I should freaking hope they would have dusted off every forgotten Pokemon.

Hmm, too bad they didn't dust off all the alternate types as well. While fighting Steelix is showing soon I'm still waiting for fighting Chesnaught and Psychic Delphox among several others. In fact we still need a fairy Igglybuff an a fairy Mime. Jr. And for Mega Sableye, Tag Teams are not how I personally would have preferred to see the return of megas.

Grass-Type Farm Owner

Aspiring Trainer
I KNEW Alter Genesis had to involve either Dialga or Arceus. It just made too much sense. I wonder if we'll get a Sword & Shield Pokemon in the set, like Magearna in Steam Siege. Perhaps not, since that set released around the time of the Magearna movie.

As for SM12a speculation:
-With the huge success of GX Ultra Shiny, I'm sure they'll do shinies again.
-We can probably expect a gold Zeraora-GX, since all of the gold cards in GX Ultra Shiny (barring Koko) correlated to Pokemon with unobtainable shinies in the video games (at the time).
-My personal prediction is that we'll see something like Ultra Necrozma & Guzzlord TTGX. Seems like an appropriate "big Tag Team" kind of thing to end the generation on, plus Mitsuhiro Arita hinted at another UB Tag Team in the Unbroken Bonds interview.
-I would predict alternate full arts of Red, Giovanni, and maybe Blue using their (U)SM designs, but the cards aren't staples on the level of Guzma and Cynthia so I'm not too sure on this.

Last edited:

Water Pokémon Master

I like Pokemon more than you! :p
Webmaster
Elite Member
Advanced Member
I'm just gonna take a shot in the dark here and say that having Dialga/Palkia and Solgaleo/Lunala for the dummy artwork is just a placeholder for what the real mascot of the set is, since they've never had more than one Tag Team on a single pack artwork so far, they previously had Buzzwole/Pheromosa as a placeholder for Fullmetal Wall before Lucario/Melmetal was revealed, and Alter Genesis seems too cool of a name for a set starring only those two new Tag Teams lol
The set's deck box features Dialga and Palkia, so those should be the mascots.

Chrswrites

Aspiring Trainer
The High Class Pack artwork does resemble this. Well, that's my opinion!

Factory-Sealed-JAPANESE-POK%C3%89MON-NEO-GENESIS-STARTER-DECK.jpg

Chopingboard

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
I was not playing during the time when Best of XY was released. Did it extend the legality of certain cards?

Mega Charizard X

Mega Charizard X
0oooooo the cards in the set that I want is

• Garchomp Holo Rare (Dragon Type)
  • Garchomp GX (Dragon Type)
  • Lucario Holo Rare (Fighting Type)
  • Regigigas GX (Colorless Type)
  • Giratina Altered Forme GX (Dragon Type)
  • Giratina Origin Forme GX (Dragon Type)
  • Arceus Holo Rare (Colorless Type)
  • Arceus GX (Colorless Type)
  • Turtonator GX (Dragon Type)

postmodern_pinko

So postmodern
I won't rest until we get Kyogre & Feebas TTGX. But seriously where has the love been for my large moody whale and her best friend, Literally Behemoth From Revelations?

OVERGRO

Pokemon is lyfe.
Alter = Altar of the Sunne / Moone? Unless it is actually "alter" as in alternate or "change" in which case... idk.

Genesis though -- yup, that's a Dialga / Palkia / Arceus thing haha.

bbb888

Same user name as my Pokémon YouTube channel
If they're going to do reprints, please do Base Set 3 !!!

... oh, wait

Scoop

Literally a sheep
If you exclude Vileplume/Decidueye, there weren't any "Seismitoad EX" level of degeneracy... but that's subjective, isn't it?
I think it's moreso some of the decisions they made on the collector's side of things that made Gen 7 leave a bit of a bad taste in some people's mouths (such as my own). I've gone on record saying it 10000000 times, but I still do think that Rainbow Rares and the full art items are the worst ultra rares ever printed in the TCG's history. However. I think everything @Blob55 said earlier does apply.

Gen 7 took a LOT of steps forward and a lot of steps back. I would only hope Gen 8's TCG keeps what they did right this time, and not make the same mistakes again. But who knows, they could be even worse than this era. I would hope not, though.