5th Gen Competitive Movesets and Metagame

What a goof-up. I actually trained a Jolly Simisage based on your set. Wow...

Also, a Simipour for randomness:

Simipour @Flame Orb
Gluttony
130Atk/126SAtk/252Spd
Naive/Hasty
-Fling
-Scald
-Brick Break
-Acrobatics

It's basically a followup to Yoda's Simisage/sear, but it takes advantage of a SAtk STAB boost to get around physical walls like Cofagrigus. I tested it online, and it made a decent lead. FOF is one of my favorite combos of this generation. In all due credit, thank you Yoda! (What an odd thing to say...)
~AoH

^since you can fling the flame orb, replace scald with surf or a physical move. Also, here's a random zekrom set I made:

Zekrom
-bolt strike
-outrage
-crunch
-zen headbutt
4 hp 252 atk 252 spd
Teravolt
Choice band/scarf
Jolly/adamant

^
I'd replace Zen Headbutt with something that gives more coverage. Poison or Fighting types aren't common in Ubers. Try using Stone Edge instead for all of the Dragon/Flying Ubers. :)
Also I'd replace Bolt Strike with something more reliable, like Fusion Bolt, which has a strong 100 base power, is physical, and has 100 accuracy.

Cofagrigus@Leftovers
252 HP, 252 Def, 4 Spe
Ability:Mummy
Bold (+Def, -Atk)

Calm Mind
Hex
Will-o-Wisp
Rest

First, I have no SpD EV's because he has a decent SpD to start, and I hope to set up multiple Calm Minds (Hence why I also put nothing in SpA). Will-o-Wisp to weaken physical moves or just get some added damage every turn. Hex gets STAB and doubles in power from a burn plus Calm Mind(s) equals :D me. Finally Rest to heal status conditions and restore health.

JacobeTheElf said:
^^Why would speed matter if his ability makes non-attacking moves get priority? It actually just depends on the set you're using. If you have attack moves included (i.e. U-Turn), then go with Careful. If not, (like the set I use) go with a Speed decreasing nature.

Why does Speed Matter? It does however Victory Star only increases accuracy for each of your Pokemon including Victini, but yes I guess in a sense it does help make your non-attacking moves get priority. That doesn't mean it can't be a good sweeper.

So you're saying a Special Sweeping Victini at Modest Nature is bad? It's Base Stats are 100 on each stat from what I understand due to being Legendary. Are you suggesting I run a Calm Mind set with Victini due to it's Weaknesses similiar to Celebi?

I don't have any plans on running Victini in a Trick Room team If you're suggesting a Speed decreasing Nature. Careful would just make it be able to take Sp. Atk's well but focus more on Physical Attacks instead of Special Attacks.

Regirock @ Leftovers
Trait: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 56 Def / 200 SDef
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Curse
- Rest
- Drain Punch
- Stone Edge

Firstly, this is only for Sandstorm teams, since you get the Sp.Def boost from it. Basically you Curse at the opponent once or twice and proceed to Drain Punch or Stone Edge your way through their team. This thing is EXTREMELY bulky on both sides, but you have to win the weather set up battle. Just make sure if you're facing a rain team or something, switch in your Hippo/Ttar often to negate their rain.

Card Slinger J said:
Why does Speed Matter? It does however Victory Star only increases accuracy for each of your Pokemon including Victini, but yes I guess in a sense it does help make your non-attacking moves get priority. That doesn't mean it can't be a good sweeper.

So you're saying a Special Sweeping Victini at Modest Nature is bad? It's Base Stats are 100 on each stat from what I understand due to being Legendary. Are you suggesting I run a Calm Mind set with Victini due to it's Weaknesses similiar to Celebi?

I don't have any plans on running Victini in a Trick Room team If you're suggesting a Speed decreasing Nature. Careful would just make it be able to take Sp. Atk's well but focus more on Physical Attacks instead of Special Attacks.

I think he was referring to someone else's comment about Whimsicott.

Also, @hatman, oh man, that thing is a monster. I was battling it yesterday. I just sent out Conkeldurr. Once we both got to +6, it was just waiting to see who would get a crit first.

Hatman said:
Basically you Curse at the opponent once or twice and proceed to Drain Punch or Stone Edge your way through their team.

I don't see how shouting nasty comments at your opponent helps you win, but okay. I used to run a set similar to that back in Gen. Four on a NU team. It worked nicely, especially considering that everything down there had a low base Attack stat. ;P

Here's a set I used a long time ago for Scrafty:

5kj3oh.jpg

Scrafty @ Leftovers
Ability: Shed Skin / Moxie
Nature: Careful
EV's: 252 HP / 40 Atk / 216 SpDef
- Bulk Up
- Payback / Crunch
- Drain Punch
- ThunderPunch / Ice Punch / Rest

Scrafty isn't winning any awards for Speed, that's for sure. What it lacks in Speed, it makes up in defenses. STAB Dark and Fighting offers nearly unresisting coverage. Bulk Up is the main focus of this set, boosting Scrafty's average Atk of 90 and his excellent 115 Def. Payback and Drain Punch offer great coverage. You can option for Crunch for constant damage and Def drop, however, since it has low Speed, why not abuse it? To add to this, Drain Punch serves as Scrafty's source of recovery outside of Rest. ThunderPunch is for bulky waters and Skarmory, who can potentially wall him and Whirlwind away his boosts. Ice Punch can be run for dragons, who can set up on Scrafty without worry.

The ability should be chosen wisely. Shed Skin can get you out of Status conditions, like burn, poison, or paralysis, which can ruin Scrafty's chance at a sweep. Moxie can boost your attack with every KO you get, which is very nice bonus that lets Scrafty set up easier. This works very well with Drain Punch since it will be able to recover more HP the more damage you do. The EVs allow Scrafty to take special attacks very well, and putting the remaining EVs into attack. This also takes advantage of Bulk Up boosting its Defense. You could move the EVs in Atk to SpDef if you want more bulk.

I remember using this thing with Light Screen and Reflect support. Everyone would ragequit after about three Bulk Ups. ;P

Here is something you can use if you want some quick kills:

Krookodile @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Moxie
Nature: Adamant
EV's: 252 Attk 252 Speed 4 HP
-Outrage (main move)
-Earthquake
-Foul Play
-Smack Down

The main point of this Krookodile is to kill quickly with Outrage. Witht the choice scarf, it should outspeed un-scarfed pokemon. Keep using Outrage to knock out the other pokemon, and then its attack gets raised more due to moxie. The downside: Confusion. So If you feel lucky, then use Krookodile.

547_whimsicott_front_norm.png

Whimsicott @ Leftovers
Nature: Bold
EV's: HP: 252/Def: 252/Sp.D:4
- Substitue
- Leech Seed
- Rest
- Toxic

The Main Point Of This Build Is To Toxic Damage Then Set Up Sub And Stall With Rest Leech Seed And Leftovers

WhimsicottSubMan said:
547_whimsicott_front_norm.png

Whimsicott @ Leftovers
Nature: Bold
EV's: HP: 252/Def: 252/Sp.D:4
- Substitue
- Leech Seed
- Rest
- Toxic

The Main Point Of This Build Is To Toxic Damage Then Set Up Sub And Stall With Rest Leech Seed And Leftovers

Personally, I feel like this would work better like this:

Whimsicott @ Leftovers
Prankster
Bold
EV's: HP 252/Def 252/SpD 4
- Substitute
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Toxic

Honestly, It doesn't look to different from your standard sub-seed set. You're better off just running toxic spikes rather than using a moveslot for toxic.

The Whimsicott I've used on one team with rain support is this:
Whimsicott (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Prankster
EVs: 12 HP / 248 Def / 248 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Substitute
- Hurricane
- Leech Seed
- Encore

Sub and leech seed for stalling out, encore to ruin stat boosters, and hurrican for 100% accurate 120 base power in the rain.

Manectric @ Choice Scarf
Nature: Timid
EV's: HP:4/SpA:252/Spd:252
- Electro Ball (Main Move)
- Flamethrower
- Hidden Power (Water) better with Hidden Power (Grass)
- Charge / use to be Quick Attack

Manectric isn't winning any Stall Awards, that's for sure. What it lacks in Defence and Special Defence, it makes up in Speed. Electro Ball is the main focus of this set, Taking out well slower pokemons in at least 2hkos. Hidden Power (Water) or (Grass) will offer great coverage over it only natural weakness Ground. Since it has high Speed and special, why not abuse it?.

Why the random Quick Attack? His attack isn't high enough to be doing much damage with it. Or how about Electrode? His Speed is insane, and although he has lower Sp.Atk, he has slightly better defenses.

@ Tortonic

The Ramdom Quick Attack because i dont know what over moves to give it and yes electrode has more defences but it can't cover its weakness that well and its special attack is lower.

416Vespiquen.png

Vespiquen @ Leftovers

Nature : Sassy

Evs : Hp : 200 / Def : 56 / Sp.D : 252

Moves

-Toxic
-Defence Order
-Heal Order
-Protect

Well When I Put This Build Together I Was Looking For A Toxic Stall And This Is What Came Out.

chandelure_animated_sprite_by_devinwarriors-d3dqjfk.gif

Pokemon: Chandalure
Item: ???
Nature: Modest
EV's: 252 Sp. Atk/252 Spe/4 Hp
IV's: 31/31/31/31/31
Move 1: Flamethrower
Move 2: Will-O-Wisp
Move 3: Shadow Ball
Move 4: Calm Mind

I honestly am spanking new to competitive battling so I thought I would start with a standard sweeper and I came across Chandalure

I have a perfect Chandalure (Keep in mind this is for DS battling not simulator) that will be EV'd soon but I need help with a item and moves. Please help I really need it :D

Electro said:
Vespiquen @ Leftovers

Nature : Sassy

Evs : Hp : 200 / Def : 56 / Sp.D : 252

Moves

-Toxic
-Defence Order
-Heal Order
-Protect

Well When I Put This Build Together I Was Looking For A Toxic Stall And This Is What Came Out.
First off, I wouldn't use Heal Order. Roost does the same thing, but Roost gets rid of her horrible second typing.

I'm really questioning Vespiquen as a defensive Pokemon. While her defenses (70/102/102) are great in the lower tiers, her typing, Bug and Flying, makes her useless if SR is up. Her typing is really what limits her so much. Rock-type is often always a common attacking type, plus you have weakness to Fire and Electric, which makes it harder for you to wall anything. Also, her low speed lets many Pokemon take advantage of her rather easily. Plus, I'm not even sure Vespiquen would ever survive in the standard metagame with all the weather, entry hazards, and strong sweepers. Maybe once all the tiers are decided and she's placed back in NU, where she's most likely headed, she might have a niche in NU and UU. Might.

If you really want to run Vespiquen, I recommend using this set:

vespiquen.png

Item: Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP/ 4 Def/ 252 SpDef
Nature: Careful
Moves:
Defend Order
Toxic
Substitute
Roost

Explanation: Basically, you set up subs and then stall with Roost and Toxic. Defend Order increases both of your defenses, making it harder to break your subs. Your ability, Pressure, is also excellent, epically behind a sub. This set really loses to any Steel type, so it's recommended to run a good counter for any steel types you can't handle. I also highly suggest you also have a spinner to get rid of entry hazards, because if SR is up, Vespiquen is basically useless for the entire match.

Back