5 Gen Competitive Play

@6-Dimension
One of my most successful team cores in the combination of Agirudaa, Skarmory, and Heatran. Agirudaa has a great movepool for a lead, being the new fastest spiker, Yawn, and Unburden. Coupled with a Focus Sash, Agirudaa becomes faster than any unboosted poke in the game, and from there can U-turn or hit fairly hard with Bug Buzz and its decent base 100 Sp. Attack. Skarmory works well, taking any physical attacks that are targeted at Agirudaa. Heatran takes any fire attacks, and hits back hard with Fire Blast. A spin blocker is also a necessity on this team, because this team relies on damage from entry hazards. I chose Burungeru, who can take hits like a beast and Will-o-wisp any troubling physical sweepers.

I doubt burungeru will be very good at spin-blocking with the introduction of the bull's eye item (which eliminates type immunities). Because of this, spin-blockers should know embargo or magic room (neither of which burungeru can learn). Dusclops (with evo stone preferably), dusknoir, and spiritomb can learn these moves, however.

The bull's eye item removes the holder's type immunities, not the opponent's.

Kay, s'more battle stuff

Probotran (#526) is a sweet lead. The buff to Sturdy makes this guy a king. The fact that he can literally survive any attack from full life means you can either safely set up rocks or decimate their lead with your sexy 405 Attack. Say their lead is Erufufu. Derp derp here comes Taunt, STONE EDGE POWWWWW and they're like OH MY GOD MY LIFE IT'S DRAINING and then it becomes zero because all Fufus carry Leftovers. Then it's 6-5 and you are still at full life.

But let's say you're up against Hippowdon. Oh man, what to do. You know EQ is coming. Throw dem rox up, dude. Not only will you survive Earthquake (and that's assuming Hippowdon doesn't predict your switch and set up his own rocks, in which case you get rocks _and_ Sturdy intact), but you'll survive with about a third of your life assuming min HP max Defense), which lets you come in later on a resisted hit. This is where Custap shines. If you're low enough on HP you basically get one free priority attack. This works beautifully even against defensive leads who attack instead of Taunt in an attempt to break Sturdy. Priority rocks are always nice.

Espeon come in on your rocks? Who cares? Take that LO Grass Knot like a man and KO with Stone Edge, then Custap Rocks next turn. Bwahahaha. I love this guy.

Not to mention he is one of the most BA-looking mons gen 5 has to offer, with a pimpin' shiny form to match. Long live Probotran.

Did I mention that his other ability, Sand SuperStrengthWhatever, boosts Stone Edge even further? And he's pure Rock, so he gets none of that 4x weak garbage, but keeps that sexy spdef boost in the sand? Oh man.

Still, every mon has his bad side, and here's his:

- Skarmory takes only about 45% max from Stone Edge, so unless you can predict a Roost, you will get walled. As an aside: the fact that Skarmory takes nearly 50% from a neutrally effective physical attack should give you an idea of how other, less bulky leads fare against his monstrous Stone Edge.
- He may as well not have any Speed at all. Twenty-five base Speed means he's slower than Bronzong, and being slower than Bronzong is a pretty tall order. That said, he's like greased lightning in Trick Room, so...
- Predictable. As I mentioned earlier, all Probotrans basically have the same set: Stealth Rock, Stone Edge, Earthquake, and Explosion. He hits tremendously hard, which is to be expected from something with 135 base Attack, but his predictability makes him easy to play around. Anything physically bulky that can resist Stone Edge and take neutral Earthquakes, like Hippowdon and Nattorei, can really make his life miserable once he's set up rocks.
- Stone Edge. 'nuff said, am I right or am I right
- Extremely vulnerable to Trick. Probotran needs move freedom.

Despite this guy's apparent weaknesses, he's an awesome poke and everyone oughta give him a shot.

Smogon Battle of the Week, BW OU. I'll be playing imperfectluck on Smogon's PO Server on Wednesday at 11:00pm EST.

Good luck, that's at 4am in the morning for me lol. You can tell that there's no euro people in that matchup ;P

Since this is my last post I can do here, let me ask all of you about furiijio. Do you think it can act as a special forretress? I think that it has a lot of potential for a rapid spinner/special wall.

I'm wondering how have people been setting up their team structure? Have you had to make changes to your team because of ceratin threats? (Please note this is NOT an RMT!!! This is an example of my team structure in Gen 5) Through my team building processes, my pokemon teams have this general set up:

1. Lead (Agirudaa)
2. Physical Wall (Skarmory)
3. Special Wall/ Spinner (Tentacruel)
4. Mixed Sweeper (Deoxys N)
5. Revenge Killer/ Bulk (Heatran)
6. Spin Blocker/ Sweeper (Gengar)

This is very close to my Gen 4 team, but with the addition of Agirudaa and a couple of changes. Note I have oppurtunities to use all three entry hazards (Toxic Spikes, Stealth rock, Spikes) with Agirudaa, Skarmory, and Tentacruel. Mixed Deoxys is a nasty surprise, he comes with the destructomatic move Psycho Boost, physical STAB Zen Headbutt, Superpower, a nasty surprise for Ttar and Umbreon, and priority in Extremespeed. PainSplit Gengar is a great Spinblocker, being bulky with SubSplit and deadly with the unresistable combo of Fight and Ghost. Walls and Lead pretty much speak for themselves.

tanker: try smogon, serebii, etc.
Im looking for help looking for strong walls, supporters etc. I plan on using Erufuun as my subseeder. I was thinking maybe burunkeru and nattorei as walls.

So far I have a lead if sableye that works well with my victini and Kerudio. I plan to use a perversity Jalorda as my subseeder because I just don't have fun playing erufuun.

Somebody asked for a Offensive Core awhile ago. This is one of the most effective ones that I have found.

Breloom @ Shed Shell (Technician)
Adamant 6/252/0/0/0/252
~Bullet Seed
~Mach Punch
~Spore
~Swords Dance

Tyranitar @ Leftovers (Sand Stream)
Relaxed 252/0/252/0/6/0
~Earthquake
~Pursuit
~Fire Blast
~Stealth Rock

Doryuzuu @ Balloon (Sand Throw)
Adamant 6/252/0/0/0/252
~Earthquake
~Rock Slide
~Aerial Ace
~Swords Dance

As we have all learned Dory is a beast, as is Breloom. You can send in Breloom to take out a threat, possibly your opponents Dory. The most common Breloom counter is Shanderaa, which is countered by switching out Breloom and Pursuiting it with Tyranitar. From there Dory should be able to sweep effectively.

Battle of the Week didn't work out with imperfectluck. He was unable to play. I will be playing locopoke tonight at 7pm EST.

If you count DW abilities, you will not be able to switch out Breloom for Ttar. I really don't see much point in AA on Dory either because quakeslide hits any for at least neutral anyway. The only Pokemon I can readily think of that it doesn't hit for at least neutral damage is Bronzong.

^He had it holding a Shed Shell :p
Also, thanks for those sets, they're pretty cool. IMO, Chople Berry>Balloon. The only thing that will outspeed Dory and hit it with an Earthquake is other Doryuuzu. I would use a Chople Berry so that you can take a Mach Punch from Roopushin who try to revenge you. So long as you have a SD up, you should be able to kill it with EQ. I would also make Doryuuzu Jolly, to tie other Doryuuzus, and use Rapid Spin or X-Scissor over AA. Still, nice sets.

Doryuuzu can hit bronzong neutrally with x scissor i think, which i why doryuuzu always has the same set with either rapid spin or x scissor.

Back