5 Gen Competitive Play

Chillarmy

El problemo?
Hello Beachers! I'm starting this thread to discuss the 5 Gen metagame. here are some things to discuss: What is the potental for certain pokemon? Who will counter who? How will pokemon from prevoius generations be affected? What will dream world abilities do to the tiers and metagame? Also, discuss possible new movesets for any pokemon, new or old (if you are discussing specific pokemon, please include an image to help others follow you).

Here's one set to get you started:

609.png

Shandera
Base stats:
60/55/90/145/90/80
Abilites: Flame body/Flash Fire DW: Shadow Tag

Shandera shows major potential. How could you refuse base 145 base special attack AND shadow tag? Shandera, with its ability Shadow Tag, could be used to trap Forry, Scizor, and Skarmory and anhilate with A STAb fire type attack. With the introduction of Shandera (depending on its tier), we could be kissing these three goodbye!

Shandera @ Leftovers/ White Herb
Shadow Tag
Modest Nature
252 HP/252 Sp. Attack/ 4 Def

- Calm Mind
- Overheat/ Fire Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Energy Ball

Shandera would switch in on a resisted choiced move or a wall, and procede to set up with CM. +6 STAB 140 base power overheat with 145 base sp. attack.... even blissey should be scared!!! Fire Blast is an option if you don't like the Sp. Attack cut. Shadow Ball for Stab and coverage. Evil Eye could also work nicely with toxic spikes support. Energy Ball has great coverage, Super Effectively hitting waters and grounds. For the item choice, if you love overheats AMAZING power but hate its stat reduction, White Herb could be used to give one extra overheat turn. If you're running fire blast, use leftovers for the extra bulk.

Discuss, share ideas, and lets get prepared for Generation 5!!!

Scarly enough, but I would use Scope Lens if you use Fire Blast, to increase its accuracy...
BUT, i think that Shandera could be really funny with;
@ Zoom Lens
252 Sp. Atk, 252 Spd, 4 HP
-Pain Split
-Fire Blast
-Evil Eye
-Payback
--

This is funny if you have the right support.
With Mew-passing, you could have much fun.

Mew @ Leftovers
Modest
252 Sp. Atk, 252 Spd, 4 HP
-Sunny Day
-Nasty Plot
-Baton Pass
-Thunderbolt

Funny.
--
Mew uses Sunny Day, Nasty Plotter, then passes it over to Shandera. I thunder bolt possible threaths for Shandera. The last place could be.... Forretress
@ Leftovers
252 Def, 252 Sp. Def, 4 Atk

-Explosion
-Toxic Spikes
-HP: Fire
-Protect

Much funnier now.

Flamethrower with 4 Calm Minds does take around 600 HP on Blissey with Shandera. Try to guess a Fire Blast with 120 base, 180 stabbed, then 270 stabbed with Sunny Day! 270 is enough to OHKO Blissey with Shandera's 145 Sp. Atk!!

All I can say is, this thing is amazing thus far:

Shibirudon (M) @ Chesto Berry
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 212 HP / 40 Atk / 56 Def / 200 SDef
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Snake Coil
- Wild bolt
- Crunch
- Rest

It's like Kingdra, without the speed boost, but with a better, no-weakness typing. The Ev's allow for 361 HP, 276 Atk, 225 Def and 270 SpD, making for a VERY bulky sweeper. This thing can get 4 boosts and then rest all the damage off like nothing happened. The recoil from Wild Bolt can be a pain, but Rest is there for a reason. It's a shame he doesn't have any high power physical moves, outside of stab. Trust me, you're going to want to give him a chance.

If you do use him, make sure you run something to let him get in easily. Erufuun with encore is great for this, almost acts like a Wobbers, but without the trapping fun. Have Erufuun encore an opponent using something such as Shaymin-S setting up a substitute for sub seeding. Then proceed to your Electric snake of death, to begin your slow, yet powerful, sweep.

Shandera seems to be not as scary, and not sazandra either. Erufuun and zoroark will be used a lot i think. Most will use them wrong but oh well.
Zoroark can easily play as any ghost, especially shandera or gengar.
Someone will switch in with burugeru (wtr/gho) or try a psychic type. All you do is pursuit while they change then pursuit on the new victim.
Zoroark escapebutton
pursuit (switch in STAB)
nightburst (special STAB)
extrasensory (fighters beware)
flamethrower (good move, bugspray)
Ho-oh helped make most of the set.

Remember to include images everyone!!
Zoroark is quite a tricky poke. Illusion really can be deceptive, especially if you have Machamp, Gengar, any ghost type, or any other psychic weak poke on your team to take advantage of illusion. I have seen him quite often on Pokemon Online.

Here is another poke with some great potential as a lead:

545.png

Pendora @ Leftovers
Poison Point
Jolly Nature
252 HP/ 252 sp/ 4 att
- Toxic Spikes/ Spikes
- Swords Dance/ Agility
- Megahorn
- Payback/ Baton Pass

Forgive me for my EVs, I'm not very experienced. Pendora has options as a lead, either a Baton pass or Spiker/Toxic Spiker. On the Baton Pass side, Pendora can learn both Agility and Swords Dance,working well baton passing to a good physical sweeper. Also Spikes or Toxic Spikes is an added bonus. 90 Attack and 112 Speed is also the oppurtunity for an antilead, or a choiced sweeper. However, its typing gives it many weaknesses. With all factors included, I predict Pendora will fall into BL or UU.

^That set's too spread out. It's like a Boosting Spiker Passer Attacker. Also, Payback isn't so good do to Pendora's high speed.

here is another lead

Iwaparesu @Custap Berry
196 HP/252 atk/60 Spe
Adamant
Spikes
Stealth Rock
Stone Edge
X scissor

It is one of the 3 pokes to get sturdy+SR/Spikes(skarm,forry). In my testing it has done fairly well being able to set up an SR and maybe 1 spikes. sometimes 3. It has STAB Stone edge and x scissor which help.

How about this dragon duo:

Sazando@Choice Specs
Levitate
EVs:252Sp.Att./252Spe./4Att.
Timid Nature
-Outrage
-Crunch
-Fire Fang
-Acrobat

Ononokus@Choice Scarf
Rivalry
EVs:252Att./252Spe./4Sp.Att.
Adamant Nature
-Dragon Dance
-Outrage
-Reversal
-Payback

Sazando hits as hard as possible with everything it has until it faints, the Ononokus revenge kills.

Sazandra is only good when it uses its higher special attack.
Draco meteor
Fireblast (much stronger)
Crunch (hits harder then darkpulse)
U turn/ outrage
Sorry i dont know how to link pictures :(
Erufuun 252 def 252 special def 4 spd
Leech seed
Taunt
Sub
U turn/cottonguard/etc.
Always goes first with the non damaging moves, EVs in defenses to protect it.

I'm sorry, that Ononokusu is really awful. DD on a Scarfer? What? Payback and Reversal? What? 4 Sp. ATK EVs with no Special attacks? Really, what were you thinking? The Sazando set is just as bad. It's a Specs set with no Special Attacks.

Assassin's Shibrudon works extremely well. I've had something like 20 rage quits after Chesto Rest :p. People also make the mistake of using Earthquake, but that will change as people become familiar with the metagame. Even with Wild bolt's recoil, you can Rest off the damage. An amazing bulky sweeper, thanks Assassin.

Ononokusu looks like he's just going to be a better Infernape. 147 base attack is very attractive, but 97 speed just isn't enough. A choice scarf is almost essential, pokes like Swana, Starmie, Sazandora, Frosslass, Weavile can all outspeed ononokusu and hit hard with ice beam/shard or outrage. Also, anything with ice shard spells death for ononokusu. To give you an idea of how frail ononokusu is, he has the same defences as Azelf, Electrode, and rapidash. Quite frankly, Ononokusu NEEDS choice scarf.

Ononokusu.png

Ononokusu @ Choice Scarf
Hasty Nature
Mold Breaker
252 Attack/ 252 Sp/ 4 HP

- Outrage/ dragon Tail
- Earthquake
- Brick Break/ Reversal
- Draco Meteor

A basic Choice Scarf set. All four of these moves provide exceptional power and coverage.

That sounds really good. I like having dracometeor and not caring about the stat loss. Id go with brickbreak or maybe nightslash over reversal though. Doesnt seem to be bulky enough or fast to make reversal great.
Im going to try burungeru....
Burungeru water/ghost
Leftovers 252 sp def. 252 sp atk. 4 hp
Boiling water
Shadowball/evil eye
Recover
Energyball/Other filler
Point is to wall special pokemon (shandera), and be capeable of attacking too. Boiling water is strong and the burn annoys physical pokemon. Plus, evil eye gets boosted. Recover for healing and a filler.
Think i screwed up the EVs, anyone want to try desukan?

If you dont mind me asking, what have you been using with Shibby? Like, are you running a specific core alongside him? I'm still working on a core to be built around a sweep by him, although it seems that he may be better used if aimed for a mid-game sweeper. Also, Scarf Waruvial (Dark/Ground Gatr) with Earthquake Spiral as an ability, is scary good. 1 Attack boost with every kill is probably the scariest thing i've seen so far.

Oh yeah! I called Warubiaru being good. I'm interested to see specific team cores people are using, as that's how I build most of my teams.

Sorry Assassin, I'm not up with 5 Gen. slang (Shibby) yet.
Here is the poke that has forced me to alter my entire team, the cute yet deadly little puffball, Erufuun. It shows major potentail, and I can see it putting subseeders like Jalorda, Venusaur, and even Shaymin out of competitive play. Now you might be saying: Chillarmy, 60/85/75 defences is absolutely HORRID! How does that compare to Shaymin's 100/100/100, What gives? Well, lets go in depth and you shall see the deathliness of this horrendous little puffball.
547.png

Erufuun @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
Mischievous Heart
252 HP/ 200 def/ 56 Sp. Def

- Giga Drain
- Substitute
- Cotton Guard/ Encore/ Taunt
- Leech Seed

Behold, the new subseeder! What gives it the edge on shaymin? Mischievous Heart, that's what. Mischievous heart gives non damage inflicting moves priority. So you can switch into a resisted attack, or come in off of a fainted fellow, and get the guarenteed leech seed, sub, or cotton guard off of their switch, or even use cotton guard against a physical sweeper like Metagross or Lucario. +6 defence makes it look like it's Forry taking resisted attacks. It's CRAZY. Then, with Leech Seed and Leftovers running, you recover almost equal amount of HP you lose using substitute. Cotten Spore is the best choice, pairing extremely well with mischievous heart to wall all physical sweepers. Taunt can work on a lead, as well as encore. So, with this potential, what could POSSIBLY counter an amazing poke like this?! Here are some of my ideas...
461.png

Weavile- Weavile will fair decently, but it will have a tough time when cotton guard is set up. Ice Shard will do good damage, and it gets priority. It will fair decently, but will still be downed by the stalling power of +6 sub.
561.png

Shinpora- With its ability magic guard, it reflects leech seed and hits hard with Air Slash. Shinpora will wreck any annoying Erufuun, and it is my top choice.
547.png

Erufuun- Yes, it is its own counter. Being a grass type, Erufuun blocks leech seed and won't take any damage it can't recover with leftovers. It isn't as much of a counter as a stall.

Well, that's erufuun! All comments are welcome with open arms! As for Warubiaru, I will test and evaluate.

I totally called that cute little demonic puffball. People called me crazy but i knew itd be big.
I thought sub/seed/taunt with a good attack move. If even weavile gets scared....
Also desukan could be a fun sand annoyer. Itd mess up sand scatter on doryuuzu which is always fun.

i'm surprised this hasn't been mentioned yet:
jaroda_sprite_by_arceus2072-d2yzgjr.jpg

Jaroda @leftovers
modest nature
Perversity (the DW ability, the translation has probably changed again)
4HP/252 defense/252 special defense
-Substitute
-Leech seed
-Leaf Storm
-Toxic
This is kind of a stall/DW moveset

It hasnt been said on this thread but plenty of variations instead of toxic are all over some other threads.
I prefer HP (fire) over toxic now since it will eventually be good at sweeping(high speed, and then great special attack).
Or you could go with electric to combat dragons a bit better.
Planning to use one on a sunny team.

IMO, Jalorda will not be used at all as a subseeder in OU. It is outclassed by both Shaymin and Erufuun. I predict it fighting for the spot as the better subseeder with Venusaur in UU.

Banette's new Dream world ability could it up a tier

Bannete
Cursed Body

-Will-O-Wisp
-Evil Eye
-shadow Ball
-Sucker Punch

Cursed Body make Banette almost invincible and can block major sweepers. Will-O-Wisp can help in the long run while Combined with evil eye gives evil eye 100 power!
This could be seeing OU

Back