5 Gen Competitive Play

Volcarona is pretty awesome although I probably haven't played a competent opponent with one, as I don't ladder too often. He requires a fair bit of team support (Rapid Spin and elimination of Rain) but the rewards can be great. Tentacruel and Starmie are good partners because they can remove rocks and solidly counter Heatran, Tenta in particular as he can also lay down TSpikes to weaken Blissey/Chansey.

Volc's biggest enemy is the team preview. Anyone playing against it knows the importance of keeping rocks up. It's probably better to build an offensive team for it, that way there's little chance your opponent will be able to get rocks up again or Phaze things.

Volcanora is pretty beastly, but easily countered by Jellicent (Burungeru). Jellicent can spin block, and it walls the standard Volcanora set of Bug Buzz/ Flame Dance/ HP Ground. What do you guys think of the bulky vulture?

Mandibuzz is basically the new skarmory. It can easily stall numerous pokemon and has access to whirlwind and nasty plot.

Cofagrigus is another interesting wall. It wrecks numerous pokemon that require an ability and the burning eye combo works incredibly well with it. I am actually shocked that jellicent is used more often than it.

Hey guys. I've been really out of 5th Gen. I just don't like it as much as I did 4th Gen. But, competitive battling was one of the funnest hobbies I ever had. So, my question is, what's a good way to get introduced to the 5th Gen metagame? I read lots of articles when I started to get into 4th Gen, but unfortunately I haven't found many articles like that, being that 5th Gen is so new. Thanks in advance, and I hope to get good ok at competitive battling again.

Froslass (F) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Snow Cloak
EVs: 252 SAtk / 255 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Spikes
- Destiny Bond
- Taunt
- Ice Beam

Metagross @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Clear Body
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Meteor Mash
- ThunderPunch
- Explosion
- Earthquake

Starmie @ Leftovers
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Hardy Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Scald
- Thunderbolt
- Recover

Volcarona (F) @ Choice Specs
Trait: Flame Body
EVs: 252 SAtk / 12 SDef / 244 Spd
- Quiver Dance
- Fiery Dance
- Bug Buzz
- Hurricane

Haxorus (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Mold Breaker
EVs: 255 HP / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Brick Break

Yanmega (M) @ Wise Glasses
Trait: Speed Boost
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
- Bug Buzz
- Air Slash
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- U-turn

How bout these?
Froslass opening typical froslass, i'm kinda newbie so this was what I could come up with... Suggestions or tips?

Take specs off volcarona and put them on yanmega. Give volcarona leftovers instead (starmie should get shed shell).

The whole metagame is really messed up ATM. I'm running a double dragon team with dragonite/latios and skarmory and rotom-w for support (the rotom forme's aren't ghost type any more what's up with that?) I'm using a smeargle lead which I am going to share with you because its absolutely insane:

Smeargle @ Focus Sash
Adamant/Jolly
Technician

252 Attack
252 Speed
4 HP

Spore
Magic coat
Toxic Spikes/Spikes
U-turn/Stealth rock

This thing is just about the best set up lead ever. Magic coat is a great tool to play around with, letting you set up even on taunt or status leads. The number of times I've seen taunt leads being used - and taunt was always smeargles biggest downfall. Now he has magic coat, yay :)

I'm not happy about so much being allowed in OU though. I think that for the moment the three genies, kyruem, keledo and genesect should be thrown in as uber until a suspect tier can be made. It was better in gen 4 when we started by making everything uber then slowly testing to see what was fair.

What are you talking about? The genies aren't broken, lolKyurem, and Keldeo/Genesect (no Meloetta love?) are banned because they're unreleased, and for no other reason than that (also, they aren't broken either).

The only ubers that were uber in gen 4 that aren't in gen 5 are Latios, Wobbuffet (and by extension Wynaut),and Garchomp. Reshiram and Zekrom are uber, so...

^Salamence and Latias. Granted they both spent lots of time in OU, but they were voted uber in the end. Not that they're broken (which they're not.)

Forgive me if I haven't read through enough, but I read the first 7 or so pages, and this last page here, and there's nothing on Reuniclus (the DNA Teddy bear thing that's a Psychic type.) It has Magic Guard, so it's immune to Stealth Rock, Spikes, Burn, Poison, and Life Orb Recoil. That makes for a pretty good sweeper if you ask me. And it has access to Trick Room or Calm mind, whichever you prefer, along with Recover.

Reuniclus is the boss. He decimates stall and once your opponent's bugs are gone, he's capable of sweeping entire teams. I've come back from a 1-5 deficit with him alone. Reuniclus is the one reason people are even considering using Spiritomb--aka Reuniclus's only counter--on their stall teams, even when Spiritomb apparently sucks eggs this gen.

Oh maybe they are on smogon but not on PO, so I assuemed PO followed smogon tiers. Obviously not.

Smogon has them banned as well, unless you were on the Dream World ladder, but that's not what Smogon's standard ladder is.

One of the things I love using now is CB Terrakion. That thing already hits insanely hard, and the only thing really stopping it is Gliscor. Close Combat and Stone Edge are really the only two moves it needs, as those provide terrific coverage. In the last two slots I would definitely run Quick Attack, which allows Terrakion to serve as a back up revenge killer, and X-Scissor I suppose, even though I've never used the 4th move.

Even Pokemon who resist Close Combat or Stone Edge take a ton. Terrakion can outrun and 2HKO Landorus if it tries to switch in, for example. Like I said, Gliscor is the only pokemon who can easily switch in, and even then, he takes about 25% from CC, or 45% from Stone Edge. If you really want, you could be cheeky and run HP Ice in that last slot. That will easily 2HKO, if not OHKO Gliscor (I haven't run calcs). That switch-in would be fairly easy to predict, especially with team preview.

Back