5 Gen Competitive Play

I tried out the Aianto/ Dugtrio combo mentioned by Bacon, and it actually works VERY well. This is set i've been running:

Aianto @ Leftovers/ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
Truant
252 HP/ 252 Sp/ 4 Def

- Befriend
- X- Scissor
- Iron Head
- Stone Edge

Dugtrio @ Focus Sash
Jolly Nature
Arena Trap
252 Attack/ 252 Sp/ 4 HP

- Claw Sharpen
- Protect
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

Shandera @ Balloon
Timid Nature
Shadow Tag
252 Sp. Att/ 252 Sp/ 4 HP

- Calm Mind
- Protect
- Fire Blast
- Shadow Ball

The basic idea is to pass Truant with Aianto, trap with Shandera or Dugtrio, and boost to +6 while using Protect on their attacking move. then SWEEPAGE.

DawnOfXatu said:
Sableye is probably the second most annoying Pokemon next to Politoed, but after a Paralyze/Burn/Toxic it pretty much has to run and wait to be death fodder later in the game.

Ahaha, that was probably my Sableye you are thinking of, I played you on the ladder with it. Priority Taunt, Recover and Will-o-wisp is pretty awesome.

A Pokemon that's caught my eye recently is Landlos. His Earthquake is obscenely strong, and that's complemented with Stone Edge for near perfect coverage. His ability boosts both of these attacks in a Sandstorm too. Landlos also has two options to raise his attack in Swords Dance and Bulk Up, and even a +1 attack boost is enough to kill pretty much everything in a single shot. His Speed stat is a mightily trollish 101 too. I've been partnering him with Scarf Tyranitar to remove Pokemon such as Starmie, Latios and Gengar who would otherwise revenge kill Landlos. It's so simple, but its effectiveness is almost disgusting.

I've been having a lot of fun using Bronzong with Trick and Lagging Tail, he's surprisingly useful for beating/crippling some of the top threats. He has no problem coming into Doryuzuu, Tricking away its Balloon, and then going first the next turn hitting it with Earthquake. It's also a great way of messing with Porygon2 and its prevolution stone thing.

How good is a dugtrio against shandera? I figured it could hit first w/its higher speed and keep shandera locked too with arena trap.
How good is a gyrados w/ overconfidentrage
252 Atk 252 Spd 6 HP
Overconfidence
Choice Scarf
Outrage (powered by cs and overconfidence)
Standard moves like waterfall
Thinking outrage would just continue to grow in power.
i doubt politoed stands a chance. Most people can just get around with a slightly slower ninetales w/drought or take advantage of the rain.

Dugtrio could be useful against Shandera as long as Shandera isn't scarfed. If you know its scarfed, you would have to use Sucker Punch obviously.

Gyarados with Earthquake Spiral is just a beast. I've swept a lot of teams with one. Choice Scarf is something I would stay away from. Either have it be a recipient of Baton Pass or have it be a DD set. Blaziken is an excellent passer to Gyarados due to also having Speed Boost as its ability and not having the 4x Stealth Rock weakness that Ninjask has. The only downside to the Earthquake Spiral Gyarados is that it is unable to have Bounce legally.

Any more feedback on the tiers? Here are some pokes that I am unsure of:

Muurando
Genosekuto
Kyurem
Kerudio
Virizion
Pendoraa
Waruvial
Abagoura
Archeos
Morobereru
Denchura
Shibirudon
Tornelos
Meloetta

Testing is appreciated, and all intelligent comments are welcome :D

Muurando is stache dog, innit? He's a beast in-game, and Sand Whatever is a great ability if you try to use him in OU. That said, I don't think he'll be used much in OU, although Intimidate is always nice. I haven't used nor seen any in PO.

I talked about Genosect in my earlier post. He's headed for OU, where he'll sit comfortably. Ditto Kyurem.

Kerudio is a solid hitter but without a super-effective Hidden Power, he gets walked all over by the water ghost.

Talked about Verizon above.

Pendoraa uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh god. The uhhhhh poison bug? Fast spiker and can remove Toxic Spikes. STAB Megahorn is always good. Pretty sure he's gonna be in UU though. Most bugs are.

Waruvial I keep seeing as a mix between Waluigi and vile. lawlz. Only seen like two and they got creamed instantly.

Ababa I have seen exactly one. He tried to Shell Break as I attacked, got OHKOed. So much for that.

Archeos is fairly uncommon, mainly because he is dead weight after he loses half his life. Sky Jewel Acrobat, then derp derp derp the rest of the match. Only seen a few of these, but until you get him to half, he's menacing.

Moroboro is the mushroom I know this because I've been using one. He's pretty awesome because Spore rocks and Regeneration keeps him healthy. He can take him some hits, too.

When I started on PO I saw a Denchy or two. For a bug, he's pretty fast with a troll speed (speed ties Infernape), and considering he can fire off high-powered, accurate, STAB Thunders, I'm surprised he isn't used more... I suppose it's because he's reamed by Blissey and the SR weak never does anyone any favors.

Shibbity-dibbity I've seen... like... twice. He can learn Flamethrower. I know this because every one I've fought has had it. Decent, but nothing special. I'm thinking he'll sit comfortably in UU.

I have never seen Torneros. Ever. So I can't comment on him.

Meloetta is one of my favorite gen 5 pokemon, mainly because she's so darn cute in her Voice Forme. I've seen a few; only one took advantage of Step Forme. This is probably because you can't switch into Step Forme (high Attack) without using Ancient Song (special), so it ruins any possibility of a Choiced set. Still, Step Forme is pretty viable, since no one will ever try to switch in a ghost to block the attack, and STAB Close Combat is always gonna hurt. The ones that took on Voice Forme were all Calm Mind boosters, and they were all annihilated before they could do much damage.

I've been seeing more and more Deoxys-A. You basically need priority or he's gonna wipe out a third of your team.

Has anyone thought much about doubles/triples? Manaphy's Tail Glow + A Pokemon using Simple Beam = Manaphy with +6 Special attack in a single turn. Food for thought.

Man, why couldn't Nattorei exist in gen 4? He's such a great counter to offensive Starmie, Specs Latias and Specs Jolteon. lol :(

I found an intesting set for Garchomp as a lead of all things.
445.png

Ability: Sand Veil
Nature: Impish
EVs: 176 HP, 8 Atk., 176 Def., 92 Sp. Def, 56 Spd
Dragon Tail
Earthquake
Aqua Tail/Protect
Stealth Rock

The ability has to be Sand Veil otherwise it can't learn Stealth Rock.

Thanks for the help.

Denchura seems to be a lot of fun with keen eye.

Denchura
Keen eyes
252 Sp atk 252 Spd 6 HP
Thunder (+30 for almost perfect acc)
Bug buzz (good STAB)
Thunderwave (status for faster/ annoy foes)
Energy Ball (good strong filler move)

Any ideas on genesecto? All i got is bolt beam w/ stab signal beam and flash cannon.

Gimmick or useful? Iron Fist Ape.

392.png

Infernape@Life Orb
Jolly/Adamant Nature
EVs: 252 Attack 252 Speed 4 HP
~ Swords Dance
~ Fire Punch
~Thunder Punch
~Mach Punch

Calcs:

+2 life orb Jolly infernape's iron fist Fire punch

vs max Def bronzong - 124.85% - 147.93%
vs max Def celebi - 116.34% - 137.13% (if it weren't for Iron fist, itd still KO with SR)
vs 252 HP cobalon - 135.75% - 160.1% (iron fist doesnt matter)
vs 252 HP gliscor - 76.55% - 90.11%
vs max Def jirachi - 116.34% - 137.13% (without iron fist itd always KO with SR damage)
vs 0 / 0 landlos - 111.91% - 131.66% (still KO without iron fist). with +2 and iron fist, for Landlos to survive fire punch, it needs 252 HP with 128 Def EVs with a +def nature or 252 / 224 with a neutral nature to always survive a +2 Fire punch. with no Iron fist.
(no iron fist +2) vs 0 / 0 landlos - 93.42% - 110.34%
vs 252 HP machamp - 102.34% - 120.57% (without iron fist itd only have a 41% chance to OHKO with SR)
vs 252 HP metagross - 76.37% - 90.66% (yeah its never OHKOing)
vs 252 HP roobushin - 82.61% - 97.34% (iron fist win. with SR thats a 20% chance to OHKO. not much but still).
vs 252 HP skarmory - 111.38% - 131.14% (even with no iron fist and Skarm running max Def, it still gets OHKOed)

The problem I face is it seems Iron Fist just doesn't matter anywhere. Can anyone find a few more cases where Iron Fist Ape gets key 2HKOs or OHKOs that the Blaze SDApe can't get?

620.png

Adamant / Jolly Kojondo@Choice Scarf
Ability-Regeneration
252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 Def
U-Turn
Hi Jump Kick
Stone Edge
Payback / Retribution

Kojondo has a base Attack stat of 125 and Speed of 105. While it may seem like it is outclassed by certain Pokemon, the trick lies in its ability – Regeneration (which is not a Dream World ability). You gain 30% HP every time you switch out. U-turn is Kojondo's main attack for this purpose; it can attack whatever is in play, gain 30% HP (or 26% if Stealth Rock is up) and just switch to something else. Hi Jump Kick is there as Kojondo's strongest STAB move and Stone Edge is mainly for coverage. The choice between Payback and Retaliation is very simple. Payback is recommended, but Retaliation's base power doubles if one of your Pokemon fainted last turn (making Kojondo a better revenge killer to an extent). However, it doesn’t give any coverage, something that the combination of Dark and Fighting does extremely well.

With Choice Scarf and Jolly, you outspeed everything up to neutral base 105 Scarfed Pokemon. However, you can choose Adamant, but you won’t be able to outspeed positive base 100 Scarfers.

286.png

Adamant Breloom@Choice Band
Ability-Technician
252 Atk / 248 Spd / 8 HP
Mach Punch
Bullet Seed
Superpower
Spore / Stone Edge

With the addition of a Choice Band, Breloom becomes both a decent revenge killer and a great stall breaker by using either Mach Punch or Bullet Seed. This set uses Breloom's new generation 5 addition, Technician, to make it much better at doing its role. With Technician, Mach Punch gets 60 base power, making it just as powerful as a Choice Band Scizor's Bullet Punch. With Mach Punch, Breloom can OHKO a minimum Defense Aerodactyl, Archeos, max HP Empoleon, Jolteon, Infernape (73% - 86%), Jalorda and Sazandora if Stealth Rock damage is taken, while 2HKOing a minimum Defense Aianto, Agirudaa, 248 Defense Blaziken, Dageki, Electivire and Shibirudon, as well as a max Defense Blissey and Cobalon. It also has a 58% chance of OHKOing a minimum Defense Dorryuzu, and will OHKO any Magnezone who does not invest heavily in Defense.

Bullet Seed seems like an odd choice, but it has many merits for Breloom. With a Technician boost and 25 base power in this generation, Bullet Seed replaces Seed Bomb as Breloom's best Grass STAB option. 2 hits will give Bullet Seed 75 BP, just slightly less than Seed Bomb. However, 3 hits means that Breloom with get 112.5 base power, much more than Seed Bomb. In addition, Bullet Seed has a lot more PP and a higher critical rate than Seed Bomb and the ability to break Substitutes and even Focus Sashes, putting Seed Bomb directly into the second-best category. It is worth noting that 75% of the time, Bullet Seed will have much more than Seed Bomb because of the chance of 3-5 Bullet Seed strikes.

Stone Edge provides Breloom with almost perfect neutral coverage along with Mach Punch and Bullet Seed. With Stone Edge, Breloom can OHKO a minimum Defense Kingdra, Landlos and any non max Defense Togekiss, as well as a max HP Blissey after Stealth Rock damage. A max HP Dusknoir and a minimum Defense Shibirudon are also 2HKOed, while Salamence, even after Intimidate, needs significant HP and or Defense investment to survive. Stone Edge is also Breloom's best option against Gyarados and Zapdos, OHKOing a minimum Defense Gyarados even after an Intimidate drop - Gyarados needs to at least be running the standard Bulky Dragon Dance set to survive. As with Superpower, it can OHKO any Hihidaruma, even if it runs maximum Defense.

Superpower is the main STAB attack of this set, offering huge amounts of damage to those that don't resist it. With Choice Band's boost, Superpower can OHKO a minimum Defense Aianto, Agirudaa, Electivire, Kerudio, Kingdra, Genosekuso, Nageki and Shibirudon, while OHKOing any form of Cobalon, Nattorei and Terakion. Any Emburoh and Jalorda without a significant investment in Defense will also be 2HKOed (Jalorda needs 252 HP and 164 Def with a +Defense nature or 252 HP and 252 Def with a neutral Nature to survive). Spore can be used instead of Superpower to scout for common counters to Breloom, although if a team has particular weaknesses to the above Pokemon, Superpower is the recommended attack.

The Speed EVs and nature allows Breloom to outspeed a minimum Speed Tentacruel and all other base 100 speeds that run similar spreads. Breloom has no need for Defense and Sp Def EVs given its low base stats.

If anyone has sets they want me to calculate out against the OU tier, I'll be glad to help with that.

The problem I face is it seems Iron Fist just doesn't matter anywhere. Can anyone find a few more cases where Iron Fist Ape gets key 2HKOs or OHKOs that the Blaze SDApe can't get?

Have you tried calculations for Mach Punch? Fighting type priority is very useful and is one of Infernape's best selling points. If Iron Fist guarantees something like an OHKO against Doryuzuu then that's a pretty good case for choosing it over Blaze. Thunder Punch calcs against *insert bulky Water type* should be useful too.

For Breloom, I'd just go for maximum Speed so you can speed tie with others (as Breloom is a popular Pokemon this should prove more useful that the extra HP EV).

Who wants to post offensive cores? I made my best Gen IV team based off of an article on smogon about team cores, and I would very much like to see some from Gen IV.

I had this weird, yet hopefully effective idea of having these two sets. Don't say this is a horrible idea until you read the description for the second set.

Skarmory@ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
Nature: Relaxed
EVs: 252 Def./252Att./4HP
Moves:
-Spikes
-Toxic Spikes
-Stealth Rock
-Brave Bird

Standard Skarmory set, but with a little twist. This set isn't for walling, but to get down the entry hazards and do as much damage as possible. Also works with Forrestress with Explosion.

Riolu@ Choice Scarf
Ability:Mischievous Heart
Nature: Timid
EVs: 252Spe./252Att./4HP
Moves:
-Safeguard
-Roar
-Encore
-Agility
This is where the other team ends. Riolu gets Mischievous Heart through the dream world. That is essential. What is also essential that it gets max speed, for other Mischievous Heart users. Then the last essential thing is Roar. It is the only Mischievous Heart user that gets Roar, which makes Roar go first, instead of last. That means that the other team has no force of resistance as they get roared into the entry hazards over and over until they faint, or at least until you run into a ghost or the last Pokemon, which is when you send out the last pokemon.

Breloom@ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 252Att./252Spe./4HP
Moves:
-Spore
-Mach Punch
-Bullet Seed
-Stone Edge
This is the new basic Breloom set for the 5th generation. Spore immediately shuts anything down, and then it sweeps with Mach Punch and Bullet Seed. Stone Edge is a nice coverage move.

...ok...
That Skarmory probably won't even get down entry hazards, becase it will die to any Special Attack ever. Also, Skarmory doesn't even get Toxic Spikes.
SOOOO much wrong with that Riolu. Why on earth does it have a Choice Scarf? Why would you run Agility on a Scarfer? You're running Timd with Attack EVs, which makes no sense, AND, you aren't even running attacks! It's ridiculously vulnerable to faster Mischevious Heart Taunters, and the whole idea will not work that often.
Its WAAAAYYY more efficient to run Assist with Whirlwind and Roar, and not use Riolu.

Well, the other three moves besides roar on riolu are just slot fillers, only roar is neccesary. I use Choice Scarf for max speed. You are right with the EVs, I should probably invest the others in defense. And I will replace Toxic Spikes with Whirlwind. And Skarmory was always weak to special sweepers. People still used it, didn't they.

I don't believe anyone has mentioned one of the biggest new pokemon in the metagame: agirudaa (number 617). It is hands down the ultumate darkrai counter. How? Let me show you (sorry I could not get a picture of it. My machine can't really copy and paste images).

Agirudaa
-me first
-bug buzz
-power swap
-u-turn
Ability: hydration
Item: lum berry
EVs: 252 spd 128 def 128 sp def
Nature: jolly/timid

This little pokemon can be very hard on dark and psychic opponents and is probably one of the first bug-types that is not part steel to leave the NU tier. Me first with a 145 base speed is just terrifying to anything that is not deoxys, so I use it as a primary attack. It could probably send moves like dark void back at the foe, rendering them helpless. From there, I use power swap to steal the foe's strength and begin blasting them with bug buzz or u-turn. I chose hydration to prevent special conditions from screwing me up. The lum berry is there for extra coverage.

The riolu needs to be this:
Riolu
Mischievous Heart
Timid
252 Speed 128 Def 128 Spdef
Roar
Filler attack (bulletpunch?)
More useful non damging moves (ie toxic maybe?)

Already said the breloom, though sword dance over stone edge is a very viable option.

The skarmory stands no chance. Its to slow to even think about using its attack with your EV spread out. Its built to last long so invest in 252 Def, 252 Spdef, 6 HP. Unless you need attack (but speed is required.)

Sorry I have to say this, but Roar has the speed priority of -6 and even with the use of Mischievous Heart (1+ priority of all non-damaging moves) it only clocks at -5, faaar from the standards and faaar from being an good option for a Mischievous Heart user.

Here's a oobemu set
Oobemu (Duracell) @ Focus Sash
Nature: Modest
Ev's: 252 HP, 252 Sp. Atk, 4 Defense
Analyze
~ Wonder Room
~ Psychic
~ Guard Share
~ Recover
Pro's: Revenge Killer/ late game hit and run. Opponent: "yay i knocked out his Pokemon. What will he send out next?... What is that Thing?! What does Guard Share do? What's Wonder Room do? Wait, Ha Psychic hasn't been nasty Plotted!... Uhhh how'd i just lose?"
This pokemon is a trickster. I can use Guard Share and then use wonder room and my SP. Attack is Really High. If that doesn't work, either retreat or recover. The idea of this set is to have a unpredictable pokemon do unpredictable things. Focus sash is so that he can try and get a Guard Share up and be ready the next turn to retreat. That's not all. Analyze can help when later in the game Oobemu is at full health, because of his sash he can easily get a better Psychic out and hopefully enough to kill a late game sweeper

^Oobemu's ability goes really well with its high SPA and low Speed, but I'm not sure how effective this Pokemon really is. and @PMJ are you sure the mushroom is good? The only stat it has that is higher then 90 is it's HP. It looks like UU material to me. It seems like it was supposed to be a stall pokemon, but its low defenses except for HP ruined it.

Back