(1) X/Y Gameplay and X/Y Anime Preview on ‘Pokemon Smash’ [7/20]

Momaster12 said:
Water Pokémon Master said:
That rainbow attack Xerneas uses is the same one the new Mewtwo forme used in the X/Y trailer before the Genesect movie.

Mewtwo Forme confirmed Fairy-Type?

This may sound crazy but is it possible that the new Mewtwo forme is part fairy and know geomancy while the unreleased Mewtwo forme is part Dark and can use Oblivion wing. Also, maybe the new formes could be event Pokemon, have the items they need to change forme be event exclusive.

Fee said:
Since when are cartoons serious?
Avatar:The Last Airbender, Wakfu, numerous superhero shows and movies such as Young Justice/Spectacular Spider-Man/Batman Beyond/Batman:TAS/Batman:Under the Red Hood/All-Star Superman, hundreds or anime.

Cartoons/Anime being "serious" is very dependent on the type of show and the age group it's aimed at. The Pokémon anime definitely does not fall into any serious category, despite people wishing it would. It's aimed at a younger audience, is very repetitive, and filled with filler. That doesn't mean it can't be enjoyable for some people, though.

Cinesra said:
Fee said:
Since when are cartoons serious?
Avatar, Wakfu, numerous superhero shows and movies such as Young Justice/Spectacular Spider-Man/Under the Red Hood/All-Star Superman, hundreds or anime.
And Batman: the animated series and it's sequels. It was the best. And the comics kick ass still today.

Fee said:
Leaf_Ranger said:
I don't know how much blame can we put on GameFreak's shoulders. The guys have been making games whose evolution, I think, in terms of gameplay (when it comes to moving the character, mapping the world...) wasn't that much. Although I think that the landing after surfing is rushed and goofy and that the sand tiles don't blend, there are always going to be errors. Perhaps the jump into 3D was simply too much.
Just look at Kalos' "cities": they are not ambitious in terms of size or height and that might be because of 3D and because GF couldn't make or even think to take, for example, a city of the size of Goldenrod and put it in 3D. I know there's Lumiose City but even this one has mostly small buildings. Looking at the Kalos' map artwork, I would guess that most places are towns rather than cities.

All of the blame can be put on their shoulders they're the ones making the game. Even more so because part of the reason they don't move forward is terrible excuses like "forming a bond between Pokémon". Why can't they get rid of HM's? "They help form a bond between trainer and Pokémon" Why can't we make more than one file? "We feel that if you could make a separate adventure you wouldn't be as attached to the Pokémon and people you met on the first adventure." I love their games but I freaking hate their philosophy(to be fair I don't have actual interviews backing those quotes up). They could have added a lot of new features a long time ago but they choose to go slowly and stick to their old ways. Anyway all the buildings in Lumiose seem to be towering pretty high. Maybe it's not New York scale but they're still pretty big/tall not that that has anything to do with it.

Yeah the first 3D Zelda is hailed by many as the best game of all time and the first 3D Mario is still considered a great game as well. Furthermore that was like 15 years ago? Gamefreak could have been learning from all the 3D games that have come out since then.

@Bolded part: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man Garbodorable said they want it to look as good as Animal Crossing, a 3DS game, or at least Super Mario 64, a Nintendo 64 game. None of the improvements mentioned by anyone here require anything close to PC level graphics.

I was talking more about world design not about specific game elements (like the fact that in Gen.I you couldn't stand behind a building because they really were kinda like blocks, then the games evolved into having some kind of 2D where you could pass behind them and even stand bellow some object (like the tent prize by that guy near Slateport with all the mazes) and in Gen IV we got to see some evolution namely with Giratina's realm).
The buildings in Lumiose may be high, but like you've said they're not as high as others cities and around Kalos we don't see anything like Lumiose being replicated, instead we have all these towns (they may be cities in name but judging by their artwork they seem more like towns (I know Cherrygrove is a city despite having few and small buildings...it should be a town like Oldale)) that seem small. And back to Lumiose, judging by the trailers, it won't be a very lively place, at least in terms of habitants because the streets seem almost empty. You might say that that was already the case in some places in every generation, but back then the overall space or camera view would allow us to see more. With X/Y the camera is pretty much focused on the character and there's less visible space around (in case I'm not being clear, I'm talking about the screen's limits and the portion of world that it "captures" without having to move the character).

About the things you've raised like the different save files, I must say that this feature doesn't bug me. Back in Gen. I I found it odd, because it the only game that I play with that. While not bugging me, I understand your concern and already had some times in which I would like that there was the possibility to create another save file, namely to replay the story element of the game without having to trade all Pokémon or losing/deleting them. I was thinking that maybe they do that also because of the trade system, but then I remembered that even if you could create 3 save files, one with a different starter you would still need to trade to obtain the version exclusives and to complete the Pkdex so that argument isn't logical. Oh, about what you said regarding GF opinion and the lack of a video or something, I remember that was kind of the answer given by the time of E3 roundtable so there's no need for you to back it up.

HM's...add TM's. I've always hated that I would have to hunt for these. HM's I can accept because they are what keeps you from advancing in the game and skipping the scripted story but TM's!? -_- I can't really think of any measure or option that could replace this...I admit that I never have given much thought to this. Maybe create a place with all the TM's?...

You're right when you say that they are taking baby steps. For example, I've been wanting a customization option, even if it were somewhat simple, since Gen.III, and we're only getting it now (and still to see how wide will it be!), in the 6th gen and many games after.
Yeah, they could look to other games but...sometimes it's like game creators look when they intend to mimick every single aspect of a game, making a clone one and when they should look for inspiration or comparison to make a better game and learn with other's past mistakes, they don't do it.

Artemis said:
Cartoons/Anime being "serious" is very dependent on the type of show and the age group it's aimed at. The Pokémon anime definitely does not fall into any serious category, despite people wishing it would. It's aimed at a younger audience, is very repetitive, and filled with filler. That doesn't mean it can't be enjoyable for some people, though.

While I agree with you, I still must ask: what sense is there in aiming a anime that follows the success of a game?
So, based on that, why not make the anime targeted at those that began following Pokémon at the turn of the century instead of trying to bring new fans to the series, namely the games, with the anime!? From what I've always heard, Pokémon is most successful in the game field than in the anime, unlike Digimon which has better audience with the anime rather thatn the games.
I think the games even appeal more to older people (adolescents/young aduts) than children so why can't we have something targeted at us?

Leaf_Ranger said:
While I agree with you, I still must ask: what sense is there in aiming a anime that follows the success of a game?
So, based on that, why not make the anime targeted at those that began following Pokémon at the turn of the century instead of trying to bring new fans to the series, namely the games, with the anime!? From what I've always heard, Pokémon is most successful in the game field than in the anime, unlike Digimon which has better audience with the anime rather thatn the games.
I think the games even appeal more to older people (adolescents/young aduts) than children so why can't we have something targeted at us?

If it were up to me, I certainly would make a series aimed towards an older audience, but it's not (and, hey, if you want to talk about what kind of things you'd like to see in a more adult-oriented anime show, feel free to check out this thread we have going on over in the anime forum). All I said was the current fact that the Pokémon anime, as it is now, is aimed towards young children (and not a serious show by any stretch of the imagination), and according to the interview WPM had with Masamitsu Hidaka, it will likely stay that way for a while.

In short, this is mostly because Japanese companies are, by and large, very conservative, and with that kind of a mindset, it makes sense to them to keep doing the things that they are doing because it is working for them.

Hey, I'm a conservative who wants them to change. :p

I think it's one of those "if it ain't broke don't fix it" mindsets and I can understand that. The anime is successful even if we all hate it so there's no reason why they should change it. Although maybe they could make a secondary anime that's also canon targeted at an older audience or something like that.

Edit: I just checked out the thread you linked, whoops it looks like Mitja beat me to the second anime idea. xD

Artemis said:
Leaf_Ranger said:

If it were up to me, I certainly would make a series aimed towards an older audience, but it's not (and, hey, if you want to talk about what kind of things you'd like to see in a more adult-oriented anime show, feel free to check out this thread we have going on over in the anime forum). All I said was the current fact that the Pokémon anime, as it is now, is aimed towards young children (and not a serious show by any stretch of the imagination), and according to the interview WPM had with Masamitsu Hidaka, it will likely stay that way for a while.

In short, this is mostly because Japanese companies are, by and large, very conservative, and with that kind of a mindset, it makes sense to them to keep doing the things that they are doing because it is working for them.

I already posted on that thread =P Sorry if my post derailed a bit on the wish of a more serious anime, but since you've touched on the nature of the current anime, I couldn't resist to question howcome the anime is targeted at younger audiences when Pokémon fans are found more (at least that's the ideia I get..I don't have any statistics to back this) on the games and most of its players are adolescents/young adults. It seems such an illogical choice.
It seems that the anime producers forgot about the fans that grew up with the series and that deserve (more so if the assumption that I made turns out to be true) an anime that can answer their (our) plea. I think that we should start flooding Pokémon's facebook page and the company with requests for that more serious anime or even a petition. XD

To be honest, I don't really think the older teenager/young adult age group is the biggest Pokémon consumer (though I have no statistics to back it up), they're just the ones that you personally know and interact with. Most young kids don't go online to join forums to talk about Pokémon. And among those older fans you do know, look and see how many started playing (or watching the anime, or however they got into the series) when they were pretty young. Older Pokémon fans are more likely a vocal minority.

By the way, in the anime trailer... They probably showed a new Pokemon? http://prntscr.com/1h4pdt

Tuoko said:
By the way, in the anime trailer... They probably showed a new Pokemon? http://prntscr.com/1h4pdt

Where do you see a new pokemon? The only other pokemon I saw was the back of what looked like a Watchog's head

Tuoko said:
Are you referring to the white dog like creature in the bottom middle of the picture? Other than that I only see humans though I might be wrong.

GlaceonFanatic said:
Tuoko said:
Are you referring to the white dog like creature in the bottom middle of the picture? Other than that I only see humans though I might be wrong.

Yeah, I am. XD Maybe it could be a Swirlix evolution. Who knows.
Some friends of mine said it's a Beartic, though it's too skinny to be a Beartic.. e.e;;

Well a serious cartoon for me are those that teach the viewers some stuff, like I dunno Captain Planet, no matter how dumb that cartoon was. Pokemon tries to teach kids stuff, but things like the Simpsons, Futurama, Family Guy, and its offshoots don't necessarily teach people things, and are only there to make people laugh, just like the Bugs Bunny and Tweety show.

Shows like Batman, and the 2003 TMNT are the more dark cartoons. They are serious and dark, but don't necessarily try to teach kids stuff.

Basically saying, if you laugh all the time, and don't feel any shame seeing the main character brutally get injured, like Homer, Fry, Peter Griffin, uh Wile. E. Coyote etc. then those are not serious cartoons.

Tuoko said:
GlaceonFanatic said:

Some friends of mine said it's a Beartic, though it's too skinny to be a Beartic.. e.e;;

I heard it might be an Absol, but it'd be cool if it's a poodle Pokemon. :3

Lex said:
Tuoko said:

I heard it might be an Absol, but it'd be cool if it's a poodle Pokemon. :3

Hm... Absol? Though, wouldn't it have that dark blue tail? xD

Artemis said:
To be honest, I don't really think the older teenager/young adult age group is the biggest Pokémon consumer (though I have no statistics to back it up), they're just the ones that you personally know and interact with. Most young kids don't go online to join forums to talk about Pokémon. And among those older fans you do know, look and see how many started playing (or watching the anime, or however they got into the series) when they were pretty young. Older Pokémon fans are more likely a vocal minority.

Sorry to be discussing this here but I think it's better (correct me if I'm wrong) than creating a thread (I've searched if there was a thread with this but my results were none).
About the young kids I thought that but then again, we live in the era of the internet. Nowadays, kids began using the internet a lot sooner than a decade ago.
Are we such a minority? I look at the VG and TGC Championships and I mostly see teenagers, not kids. And yes, you might say that (I don't know) there are age limits and that parents don't let kids enter those but then again, today's parents tend to answer every whim of their children.
On a broader range, I consider older fans those that started at maximum with Gen.III (people like us, from Gen.I and II at least, I tend to think as veterans), and even if those were kids back then, now they must be what, around 15? Taking into account that I already see some teens of this age complaining about the anime, like I've said, the producers don't care about older fans. Why don't they try to stop always appealing to newer and younger kids and lock-on to a generation and then keep maturing the series along with the viewers (of course, not getting to a point where there are relationships and all the rest...).
It's true what they say: old people don't get respected! XD
I'll end here this discussion because it feels more about demograpics and sociology, and all based on assumptions, which although tempting don't support arguments.

Tuoko said:
GlaceonFanatic said:

The closest Pokemon i could resemble it with would be either Persian, but the thing in the pic is too white, or Beartic, but like you said, it looks too skinny.

TheRoyalXerneas said:
Momaster12 said:
Mewtwo Forme confirmed Fairy-Type?

This may sound crazy but is it possible that the new Mewtwo forme is part fairy and know geomancy while the unreleased Mewtwo forme is part Dark and can use Oblivion wing. Also, maybe the new formes could be event Pokemon, have the items they need to change forme be event exclusive.

...You just blew my mind. But in all seriousness, that would be awesome! To be honest that would make me like the new mewtwo forme/formes quite a bit more... Plus, a dark type mewtwo? Sweet!

I actually hope that becomes true... Sounds like a pretty good idea.

Back