(1) This Week's 'Pokemon X' and 'Y' News Releases [6/10]

Alix Rooker said:
NoDice said:
Ice should definitely resist Grass. Never quite understood why it doesnt.
Grass shouldnt be weak to Flying either. Whether the Flying type move is representing airborne or wind, it still doesnt make any sense.
Strong winds such as Typhoons always sort of halted my crop production in Harvest Moon games, so it makes sense that Flying types are Super Effective to Grass types.

It's also the reason bug is super effective on grass, bugs eat/destroy crops and poison is obvious

DorianBlack said:
I think we all overlooked something kind of important: Talonflame's Japanese name is ファイアロー, which is six characters

Where did you find that? (I'm trying to find a Corocoro scan or something of Talonflame and I don't see one up.)

DorianBlack said:
I think we all overlooked something kind of important: Talonflame's Japanese name is ファイアロー, which is six characters - for the entire history of the series, the character limit on Japanese names has been five. This plus Parabolic Charge (whose 16 characters probably aren't a mistake/fluke in English now, as I thought it might be) means that character limits are confirmed to be going up for moves and Pokémon, and probably for a lot of other things too, including item and player character names.

Overlooked? No. It was noticed with the reveal of Helioptile and as you mentioned, Parabolic Charge. Not by me, as much as I'd like to take credit for noticing small details like that, but by a few others. Most notably, Serebii mentioned it in his original article detailing the localizations of those Pokémon and moves on May 14th.

Quote from Serebii: "Pokémon names and move names seem to have increased beyond the 10 & 12 respective character limit. France has called Pancham Pandespiègle which is 2 characters longer, while Parabolic Charge is 16 characters long"

Good job on catching Talonflame's Japanese name length though :)

EDIT: So I thought I had also seen it pointed out here on the Pokébeach forums at the time Parabolic Charge's English name was revealed, and thus I was doing some digging... turns out it was indeed mentioned... by you. O_O'

DorianBlack said:
Oh geez oh geez oh geez.

SO many cool little touches, like the being able to actually sit on a bench, and the way the screen narrows when Pancham uses Parting Shot. This is looking freaking incredible.

Also, unless the name's not final, Parabolic Charge is an indicator that move names can be more than 12 characters long now. Wonder if that applies to anything else?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DNA said:
DorianBlack said:
I think we all overlooked something kind of important: Talonflame's Japanese name is ファイアロー, which is six characters

Where did you find that? (I'm trying to find a Corocoro scan or something of Talonflame and I don't see one up.)

Well since Talonflame was revealed at the E3 developer roundtable and not in the latest CoroCoro, you won't find any such scans. Bulbapedia has its Japanese name listed, which they most likely got from some source in Japan. Talonflame on Bulbapedia

The Japanese official page has it. (Bulbapedia doesn't ever put up information that isn't officially confirmed, so there's always a primary public source.)

I knew I had noticed Parabolic Charge, but I thought there was a chance that it was a misunderstanding or that it only applied to moves, which is why Talonflame's Japanese name as a second corroboration was cool. :) And I totally hadn't noticed Pancham's French name. XD

The question now is whether any weirdly-abbreviated past Pokémon like Feraligatr will get a retcon. I'm guessing no, but that would be nice.

Ah, that works; thanks. I was looking for a good primary source and there it is. Much obliged!

DorianBlack said:
The Japanese official page has it. (Bulbapedia doesn't ever put up information that isn't officially confirmed, so there's always a primary public source.)

I knew I had noticed Parabolic Charge, but I thought there was a chance that it was a misunderstanding or that it only applied to moves, which is why Talonflame's Japanese name as a second corroboration was cool. :) And I totally hadn't noticed Pancham's French name. XD

The question now is whether any weirdly-abbreviated past Pokémon like Feraligatr will get a retcon. I'm guessing no, but that would be nice.

I am aware that Bulbapedia doesn't post unconfirmed information, which is why I listed it as a source for the Japanese name :)

As for past Pokémon being retconned, personally I doubt it... though I could maybe see some old move names getting it. I prefer the Pokémon names as they are anyway, gives them uniqueness attributable to the limitations of the formats on which they were released.

Froakie-lvl-5.jpg

Fennekin-lvl-5.jpg

Have these been posted around here before?

Notice how fennekin and froakie have elemental moves at lv.5, the other starters had to level up before getting them.

Sky Pillar said:
Froakie-lvl-5.jpg

Fennekin-lvl-5.jpg

Have these been posted around here before?

Notice how fennekin and froakie have elemental moves at lv.5, the other starters had to level up before getting them.

I've been thinking about that too...

Since I'm pretty sure that Calem/Serena will get the starter super-effective to yours, and Shauna will get the one you're SE against, then C/S may be your first battle which you're programmed to lose (as in your attacks do minimum damage and C/S will always use their STAB), and then against Shauna you have a much more fair fight.

Or they could just be there to show off the elemental moves they learn first, but since we've seen them at level.8 (and 11 for Fennekin), it seems that they'd learn moves via level up quickly, almost too quickly. (and since they were shown with 2 different levels for each one, this seems more unlikely)

Or, you know, actually make the initial rival fight challenging.

Just tweeted by Pokemon's official Twitter: Mr. Masuda is recording a very special message for Pokémon X and Pokémon Y fans! Stay tuned!

What does this mean? More new info maybe?

Oh, really? Yeah, you're right. Wonder what it could be and when. They've teased a lot of info already so far like the Sky Battles and Pokemon Amie, I almost don't want them to spoil TOO much of it. I wonder whats even left to spoil now besides all the Pokemon.

I am in need of more new info. Hopefully, when CoroCoro leaks in about two weeks, it will reveal a few new Pokemon, gym leaders, or even the Pokemon Professor.

Do you think the demo, if there is one, will be like Mystery Dungeon so that you can save and the demo data can be used for the actual game? I would imagine so anyway and hope it is.

Back