(1) New Sword-like Pokemon, Hitotsuki [7/4]

...I don't know how I feel about this one. I'm not usually one to hate item Pokemon, I think a lot of them are fine. But in this case, its a lot more sword than it is Pokemon... o_O

But that typing is pretty dang awesome.

EDIT: Reading back at all the comments.. using Golem so it can be The Sword in the Stone... bahaha why did I not notice that before. And It does look like it could be an offensive counterpart to Bronzor, I could totally see using it as a shield. :p
And I have to say, this is one of the better item Pokemon I suppose. It isnt as bad as Trubbish/Garbodor for example.. (although I personally don't mind them)

Better than some of the 5th gen Pokemon "objects" I still haven't grown to like. Although, I am tolerant of them even though they aren't my cup of tea, there are other people that love them.

This one actually has a cool typing. I like that they added a sheath instead of just being a sword, too. It gives the design that extra punch it needs to not be so bland. I am hoping it'll evolve into something cooler though. This could similar to the Chandelure line, and the end result being a possessed suit of armor.

One of the most interesting and best defensive typings in the game...
...so they made it look dumb to compensate.

Having the first Steel/Ghost is pretty exciting, I wish they were a little bit more thoughtful with the design.
Of course, it's all opinion.

A possessed suit of armor sounds cool, but it makes me think of Golurk.. we pretty much already have something like that.

However, there are many styles of armor, so they could have a completely different take on it. A sort of knight would be kinda cool even if Excavaliar is already based on one.

Mitja said:
Teal said:
It would be SO much better if it could not unsheat. I would have nothing against it them. But how is a sword (with an eye) and a ghost hand a Pokémon? It's just a sword with a cool cover... wtf?

"How is a bronze mirror, bell, sarcophagus, floating lamp with arms, doll, balloon with face,....a pokemon?.
Uhh... no. All those Pokémon look like creatures, monsters. This looks like a sword. It does not look like a monster.

And FYI, I have Cofagrigus and Chandelure (and Klinklang) on my team and I considered Drifbilm too. No problems there.

This is incredibly awesome and I don't usually like inanimate object Pokemon! I can't wait to see it in action!!

I don't think it looks bad, just bland. I like it, but would absolute adore if it evolved into a spirit holding a sword, but the Pokémon itself being the sword.

Why is there so much hate on this awesome sword! If you hate this you obviously hate any inanimate pokemon in exsistence. If you like, let's say Klinklang and dislike this sword I don't get you. But I agree if this gets a crappy name I'm convinced this gen is the worst in pokemon names

Masuda's video (French, no actual audio unfortunately :()
[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUYEfV4Q6xg[/video]

Translation:

It's the first worldwide simultaneous release for a pokémon game
which means that people will be able to start doing fights or trades at the same time!
I'm very excited at the idea of seeing that!
So, I recorded this message adressed to the Nintendo stand of the Japan Expo in Paris
to reveal a certain number of information on Pokemon X and Pokemon Y.
The setting will take place in Kalos, which is actually based on France.
I had decided that one of the thema of the game would be beauty.
By thinking to the place that would match the best, one country came to my mind.
the country that would be visited by most tourists ;
the country of fashion and culinary sophistication ;
the country of the linguistic refinement... France!
By the way, Kalos comes from ancient greek, which means "Beauty".
The first time I came in France, was in 2000, for the release of the first pokémon film.
10 years later, in 2010, i came back alone for a one-month long journey,
after the end of the project Pokémon Black Version and Pokémon White Version.
I went through Paris, Avignon, Arles,
Marseille, Nice, Eze, Mont Saint-Michel,
Versailles' Castle, and castles of La Loire.
I found that everything was pretty.
Then, in 2011, new travel, serious and with all the team this time, to gather work material.
Lumiose, the central city of Kalos, is inspired by Paris.
Obviously, all the team went there to do researches.
The heart of France, it's really Paris!
So we included everywhere parisian elements.
Of course, we didn't limit ourselves to Paris!
We took inspiration from Lyon and from Reims, among others.
Look carefully at Kalos' map.
Right on the left, you should see some kinds of aligned stones.
I got the idea with Carnac.
From Japan, it was impossible to find informations on the alignments of this town,
so I went there with a guide.
During this journey, we were accompanied by members of the team in charge of the french translation of the game,
so there hasn't been any linguistic problems.

But several times, people asked me:
"Aren't you Mr Masuda from Game Freak?"
and I was thinking: "Damn, people will know the game is based on France!"
Attention: it's not because Kalos is inspired by France
that it's a copy of reality.
We created a new world,
and I hope that you will like it.
There will be of course plenty of new pokémon in this region.
About twenty of them were already introduced.
While I'm here, I'm going to reveal one more.
its french name is Monorpale,
its japanese name is Hitotsuki.
This pokémon is steel/Ghost typed
and is in the form of a sword containing an antic soul.
There are only three months left before the release of the games.
In order to not disclose everything and that everyone can discover
what they have to offer in october, I will stop there.
Hold your breath!
Oh, yes, before I forget, one last little thing.
Poké-amie! It's a new feature we have worked a lot on.
I hope you will like it. Personally, I love to scratch/rub(?) my pikachu.
With this, good bye everyone!

Sauce: some awesome french dude from /vp/

Reggie McGigas said:
Why is there so much hate on this awesome sword! If you hate this you obviously hate any inanimate pokemon in exsistence. If you like, let's say Klinklang and dislike this sword I don't get you. But I agree if this gets a crappy name I'm convinced this gen is the worst in pokemon names
Only because you are able to hate a whole category of Pokémon (FAIRY TYPE) it doesn't mean that other people hate whole categories of Pokémon like you do.

Also, I don't hate it. I just don't get how this is supposed to be a monster as it is just a sword. Maybe better pictures can convince me otherwise.

Honestly, I like this one.

I think with it's sheath it looks cooler, but c'mon. You got to love swords.

Steel/Ghost is great, and I know kids would LOVE this new Pokémon, as it will be good in combat and is something that kids can relate to.

I feel that the sheathed pic will be a form of it. It would be more defensive, with its un-sheathed would be a nice attacker, which could be both Special and Physical with its typing.

I don't think it will have an evo though. Doesn't seem like it. I don't want it to be forgotten though, like Durant or Heatmor, being OK Pokémon with no evolution.

So much hate, this thing is amazing.

It's a simple concept, and cleverly made. I also like the fact that it it has just one eye, we don't have much one-eyed Pokémon.

Still more complex than Voltorb, and Voltorb is fine as well, I don't see the problem.

The problem is that it looks stupid. I guess I'd have to see it in action to gauge it better, but I am not impressed with it.

The video does point to it having levitate (but magnezone...), I like how he holds his sheath

Edit: I'm really curious, what do you guys think would be a good design for a sword pokemon? Since there are so many people calling it plain, when the majority of the new pokemon are plain, what would make it not-plain?

Skulblaka_Shur said:
a Japanese friend of mine is convinced this Pokemon is based off Kusanag, a legend about a sword.

Now that you mention it..... I remember a sword from my favourite childhood RPG, Golden Sun.

After defeating a dragon boss enemy in a dungeon on the minor island equivalent of real-world japan (which is why that one is probably based on the Kusanagi you speak of).. you obtain the Cloud Brand, which has a blue spot close to the handle that always looked curious to me.

CloudBrandDiscovery.png

I absolutely love it! It looks even better animated. Some serious effort went into animating everything I've seen so far - I'm very impressed!

Pokequaza said:
So much hate, this thing is amazing.

It's a simple concept, and cleverly made. I also like the fact that it it has just one eye, we don't have much one-eyed Pokémon.

Still more complex than Voltorb, and Voltorb is fine as well, I don't see the problem.

cleverly made?
no it's not

they took a sword and put an eye on it. There is nothing else to it than that. A regular, plain old sword and they put an eye. Right there in the middle. There's nothing clever about that. I just hope it has an amazing looking evolution.

AdamantKaiiya said:
The video does point to it having levitate (but magnezone...), I like how he holds his sheath

Edit: I'm really curious, what do you guys think would be a good design for a sword pokemon? Since there are so many people calling it plain, when the majority of the new pokemon are plain, what would make it not-plain?

http://k-hots.deviantart.com/art/Cutlash-185108834

Back