(1) New Pokemon Game, ‘Pokkén Fighters’? [8/20]

Am I the only one who would like to see a WiiU version like XD and Colosseum and a 3DS version with fights like Street Fighter or Tekken? I mean, 3DS already has Pokemon X and Y, so why should there be a Colosseum/Stadium for it? It'd make more sense for WiiU since WiiU doesn't have those games and 3DS could have another spinoff like this, as it would likely work so much better on there with the pokemon thing. Like, you activate a special attack and you follow the lines on the bottom screen to perfectly initiate it, or like a power struggle kind of scene where you tap the screen at the right time.

The Pokemon company has said that the mysterious footage is just conceptual, so the footage probably isn't related to the trademarked titles...

I believe Nintendo's official statement on the clip shown was that it's just concept work. That said, Nintendo is notorious for lying about things they don't want to be made public, so who really knows.

That said, why does "Pokken Fighters" instantly mean a fighting game? The clip certainly didn't resemble any sort of fighting game, and for all we know it could be a Colosseum-type game with a more in-depth story about heroic fighters and such.

Salamencetrainer34 said:
This is farfetch'd but I hope they have 649 pokemon! It could be like Super smash brawl, have lucario be a reskin of mewtwo.
Farfetch'd indeed. Even the most extensive fighting game roster doesn't come anywhere close to that number, with new games often having around 20+ characters in all. Also...

Salamencetrainer34 said:
It could be like Super smash brawl, have lucario be a reskin of mewtwo.
*facepalm*
...you don't really play Smash do you, since that's the only way anyone could actually believe Lucario is just a reskin of Mewtwo...

J.D. said:
That said, why does "Pokken Fighters" instantly mean a fighting game? The clip certainly didn't resemble any sort of fighting game, and for all we know it could be a Colosseum-type game with a more in-depth story about heroic fighters and such.

How so? The camera angle? There's about 3 fighting games like that already, I believe. I know the kinect avengers game is one. If you're talking about how it's not strictly to the side like Street Fighter and SSB, then you don't know how Tekken and Soul Calibur look.

Totally knew it. Pokemon Street Fighter-like game. Oh my gosh I can't wait for this if it turns out that I'm right... *salivates all over keyboard*

It can easily be a 3d based fighting game, the lack of UI and 2d environment this early on development doesn't mean much. Besides, When almost anyone hears pokkén, we think of tekken (even I, and I never played tekken). Something pretty awesome would be if it looked a little bit like the dragon ball Z budokai tenkaichi, and it would fit with the mega forms.

It would be an ideal aplication of the simple combinations style from the SMB games, since pokemon only have 4 moves, the rest would be physical hits, and not much complicated button presses would be needed.

And if I get to say something outlandish, it might have something to do with namco's partnership with nintendo to do SMB4? sakurai borrowed his dev team from namco bandai after all, maybe they will also do a pokemon tekken.

FloodBadge said:
J.D. said:

How so? The camera angle? There's about 3 fighting games like that already, I believe. I know the kinect avengers game is one. If you're talking about how it's not strictly to the side like Street Fighter and SSB, then you don't know how Tekken and Soul Calibur look.
Aye... I forgot about those... only had Street Fighter and Smash Bros in my mind when I posted that bit.

I heard someone say on twitter that the Pokkén Fighters could be NFC figures and Pokkén Tournament could be the game they are used for. I thought it was an interesting theory. Also, Pokkén could be from Pokémon and ken, which means fist in Japanese supposedly.
Personally, I don't believe that the image shown at the end of the trailer was 'concept work' unless they mean the concept is already established. If they didn't want to show anything, they wouldn't have. Fact is they showed something they wanted fans to get a tiny bit hyped and speculative about before they show us anything concrete.

MegaBreloom said:
I heard someone say on twitter that the Pokkén Fighters could be NFC figures and Pokkén Tournament could be the game they are used for. I thought it was an interesting theory. Also, Pokkén could be from Pokémon and ken, which means fist in Japanese supposedly.
Personally, I don't believe that the image shown at the end of the trailer was 'concept work' unless they mean the concept is already established. If they didn't want to show anything, they wouldn't have. Fact is they showed something they wanted fans to get a tiny bit hyped and speculative about before why show us anything concrete.

The NFC Figures are for Pokemon Rumble U.

TokenDuelist said:
MegaBreloom said:
Personally, I don't believe that the image shown at the end of the trailer was 'concept work' unless they mean the concept is already established. If they didn't want to show anything, they wouldn't have. Fact is they showed something they wanted fans to get a tiny bit hyped and speculative about before why show us anything concrete.

The NFC Figures are for Pokemon Rumble U.

Maybe I could have phrased that better:
The Pokkén Fighters could be new NFC figures made exclusively for the Pokkén Tournament game for Wii U. As in the new (possibly fighting) game would interact with the figures in some capacity.

There's no way it's not a new game. It crackles in and out - it's definitely a teaser for something to come, otherwise they would've just shown a fancy cut scene or something.

I just don't want all Pokémon in it to be Fighting type, as it would kind of contradict every Pokémon game ever made beforehand, and that is all Pokémon can fight.

Blob55 said:
I just don't want all Pokémon in it to be Fighting type, as it would kind of contradict every Pokémon game ever made beforehand, and that is all Pokémon can fight.

Most likely it won't, there are a lot of non-fighting type good additions to a possible roster, depending on size variations and how big it can the roster be, for example: zoroark, bisharp, maybe even tyrannitar and krookodile, haxorus, ampharos, electrivire, magmortar, typhlosion and charizard, dusknoir, golurk, sceptile, tangrowth, nidoqueen, nidoking, golem, garchomp, seismitoad, beartic, garbodor, alakazam, gardevoir, medicham, deoxys, gallade, meloetta, kabutops, aggron, blastoise, feraligatr, samurott, kangaskhan, snorlax, ursaring, slaking, exploud, lopunny, those stupid monkeys and of course, most fighting types (I wouldn't mind if the entire game was only F-types, though, they have plenty).
That, and the megaforms, of course.

professorlight said:
Blob55 said:

Most likely it won't, there are a lot of non-fighting type good additions to a possible roster, depending on size variations and how big it can the roster be, for example: zoroark, bisharp, maybe even tyrannitar and krookodile, haxorus, ampharos, electrivire, magmortar, typhlosion and charizard, dusknoir, golurk, sceptile, tangrowth, nidoqueen, nidoking, golem, garchomp, seismitoad, beartic, garbodor, alakazam, gardevoir, medicham, deoxys, gallade, meloetta, kabutops, aggron, blastoise, feraligatr, samurott, kangaskhan, snorlax, ursaring, slaking, exploud, lopunny, those stupid monkeys and of course, most fighting types (I wouldn't mind if the entire game was only F-types, though, they have plenty).

I hope all the pokemon in it wouldn't be fully-evolved bipedal pokemon. Talk about wasting all the variety of pokemon design... not to mention hurting the hype when people can't play any of the cute ones they like

garbodorable said:
I hope all the pokemon in it wouldn't be fully-evolved bipedal pokemon. Talk about wasting all the variety of pokemon design... not to mention hurting the hype when people can't play any of the cute ones they like

Like Arceus! or... RAYQUAZA!

garbodorable said:
professorlight said:

In a way, the body type is determined by the king of game, I mentioned the ones I thought more likely based in size and equality of strength, the same way that if you make a racing pokemon game you won't have snorlax or hariyama in it (you are welcome for the idea, GF, now get on with it). The real possibilities will be clearer when we know what exactly is pokken fighters and how does it work.
Besides, people will find something. I only like cute ones and in that list I have gardevoir, gallade and meloetta.

garbodorable said:

Well, there's two main reasons I could see them largely sticking with bipeds.

For one, it should go without saying that for the sake of a fighting game (especially a 3D fighter, if indeed Namco or one of those studios on their payroll is behind this), fully-evolved bipeds that are around the same size as each other would be far easier to work with than "shorties", quadrupeds or amorphous beings (re: Muk). When even the likes of Yoda (SCIV) or Gon (Tekken 3) can cause so much in the way of eyerolls because of their "unorthodox body types"? That's the kind of thing you may want to avoid for the sake of balance, assuming everybody is going to be made "to scale" proportionately.

In other words, it's all cute and fun until you have someone, like say, Pangoro (at 6' 11") trying in vain to hit someone like Riolu (at 2' 4") in the context of a much more traditional fighter. Most of his moves would stand to sail above Riolu's head. Unless you're willing to scale characters up (but I'm not sure if TPC would go for that much).

The other reason might relate more to an "in-universe" answer. Suppose this game is entirely based around the P1 Grand Prix (see: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/P1_Grand_Prix)? If so, then it would make much more sense for them to stick with the Fighting types, because...that's exactly what this tournament is about. It certainly helps that "Fist" icon seen in that shot with Lucario and Blaziken matches up to what has been used in the few times the tournament has been mentioned (as well as the designated icon used in the TCG).

The one thing I would hope is that if this is true, is this game would actually utilize the the P1/TCG's "definition" of Fighting types, so that it would actually mean, that some Ground and Rock types would be up for consideration, as well. Not to mention that even the likes of Nidoking and Blastoise have had cards that contain Fighting type aspects, which could leave a lot to interpretation!

Needless to say, this type of collaboration is the kind of thing that really interests me! I'm hoping that Nintendo's Fall Direct update in a few weeks may finally tell us more... :D

TreIII said:

For one, it should go without saying that for the sake of a fighting game (especially a 3D fighter, if indeed Namco or one of those studios on their payroll is behind this), fully-evolved bipeds that are around the same size as each other would be far easier to work with than "shorties", quadrupeds or amorphous beings (re: Muk). When even the likes of Yoda (SCIV) or Gon (Tekken 3) can cause so much in the way of eyerolls because of their "unorthodox body types"? That's the kind of thing you may want to avoid for the sake of balance, assuming everybody is going to be made "to scale" proportionately.

If Namco is incapable of balancing characters of different sizes and body types, that's their problem. The MvC series has had characters as big as a full-screen sentinel, and quadrupeds like Amaterasu. And they're fantastic games, all told. Those characters aren't gimmicks and have both been upper-tier fighters.

hqdefault.jpg

In other words, it's all cute and fun until you have someone, like say, Pangoro (at 6' 11") trying in vain to hit someone like Riolu (at 2' 4") in the context of a much more traditional fighter. Most of his moves would stand to sail above Riolu's head. Unless you're willing to scale characters up (but I'm not sure if TPC would go for that much).

It would be a real shame if characters weren't scaled up and down, considering that's what happens in every depiction of them. Seriously, nobody pays attention to the pokedex heights. The anime doesn't, Super Smash Bros doesn't, the handheld games haven't (but I guess we'll see with the 3d models). When pokemon are actually scaled correctly, it looks wrong. Nobody imagines Bulbasaur on all fours being twice the height of Chespin.

tumblr_mrw9tmteLr1qhxv3jo1_1280.png

So a pokemon fighting game would be wise to scale pokemon to be closer in relation to each other, small to small, large to large. But characters twice to 2.5x the height of other characters is very doable.

As for the P1 Grand Prix, I wouldn't be totally against something solidly in-universe like that. But it is the anime universe, and there's a good reason why the handheld games have never done a restrictive tournament like that. It's kind of against the spirit of pokemon to exclude certain types (or practically all of them) from a competition. Aerial battles are the closest thing they've ever done, and there's a good thematic and environmental reason for those.

TreIII said:

Unorthodox characters might be worth eyerolls from more hardcore players, but Pokemon is not, nor has it ever been, a hardcore franchise. Its main goals are
1. Casual fun and connectivity with friends
2. Collecting
3. Tons of gimmicks (for better or worse)

Now, this isn't quite as consistent for all of the side games, where you have difficult oddballs like Conquest, but it still never presents itself as a serious franchise. I would be shocked if there weren't a fair share of unusual Pokemon that one wouldn't expect to be included in a traditional fighting game. Like, can you see Pikachu getting excluded? o_O

Back