(1) Extremespeed Genesect [12/12]

DNA said:
The names of the first three Eeveelutions (as given in the logo) start with Bu, Sa, and Sh(a) respectively.
The names of the second four Eeveelutions (again, by the logo) start with Bu, Gu, Ri, and E respectively.
So it's kinda alphabetical (with the respective groups), provided you put the vowels at the end of the alphabet.

No, no it isn't at all. IDK where you're getting this from, but it's not even close.

DNA said:
And in so doing they are making the older games obsolete.

Oh boohoo, you have to rebuy the games. Big whoop. It's worth the new content. Although I'd much prefer sequels over remakes, that would have a lot more potential to be unique and interesting. Furthermore, I think it's unreasonable to deny people a remake because it won't be the same experience, that's the whole point. Things change, and the series evolves, that's life. If you want a 3rd gen experience, then keep your copy of RSE and play that. But for the rest of us, those that never got the opportunity.

DNA said:
Now, for RBY and GSC, this might be due to the fact that the Pokemon stat system got reworked, but RSE has no such barrier.

Physical/special split says hi. And plenty of Pokemon have gotten new moves, abilities, and stuff to work with.

DNA said:
If they end up making an RSE remake, I fear I will end up hating the original and the remake will be stuffed full of new features that look new and innovative but in the end turn out to be really boring and dull - and if they do so much as dare botch the Battle Frontier like they did with Platinum and HGSS, there are going to be riots in the streets.

But to remake RSE in the style of FRLG and HGSS would be downright unacceptable and an insult to the Hoenn region and those who loved it.

If it were like FRLG, then I might be a bit put off by that. But I could live with something like HGSS where the region itself is completely reinspired. I liked how they handled HGSS as a remake a lot better than FRLG. With FRLG it seemed like they were trying to make it a carbon copy as much as they could, and that was pointless. Why would I want to rebuy the same thing I've played before with marginal improvements? But HGSS went a bit further, they seem to go into it with the mentality of "if I were making this now, how would I do it?", and that works out better. The overworld feels more realistic than it used to. New areas in Johto's southwest improved the distribution. Team Rocket's executives had actually identities and personalities instead of being nameless trainers. And Kanto got a much needed facelift and reinstated many of the areas that had been removed. The idea that remakes will "ruin" the experiences you had with the old games is nonsensical, if anything it will only serve to enhance those experiences

Bolt the Cat said:
No, no it isn't at all. IDK where you're getting this from, but it's not even close.
I'm getting it from the Japanese. Obviously, no Eeveelution's name in English begins with a B.

Oh boohoo, you have to rebuy the games. It's worth the new content.
Matter of opinion. Not fact.
You're also assuming that I will by the new games by default - again, not a fact.

I could just stop my post right here and tell you to be quiet and go away and be done with it...but I feel you deserve more than that, so I'll explain a little more.

But I could live with something like HGSS where the region itself is completely reinspired. I liked how they handled HGSS as a remake a lot better than FRLG.
I never said I didn't like HGSS. On the contrary, I loved it! But I disliked how it made GSC completely obsolete...and unfortunately, that came after I started hating GSC due to HGSS existing. I do love HGSS because it re-imagined the Johto region and gave it a wonderful aesthetic appeal, and for the few months I was playing it, it was quite an experience. But was it worth it at the cost of shunning my very first game (Gold)? Were the few months I spent with HGSS as an adult enough to outweigh the five years I spent with GSC as a child? No, no they were not, because I grew up and saw Pokemon's progression throughout the years, becoming incredibly cynical of them as a result. (I am also not a fan of the youth of this generation, hence why I do not like seeing most new fans to Pokemon, but that is another story.)

(I'd also like to point out that, despite Team Rocket's Executives being given names, they still remain as faceless nobodies for the most part.)

I'll say that the video games fare better than the TCG. With the TCG, it's whatever it takes to get a buck. With the VG, they do want to make us happy and give us an experience. Unfortunately, that experience is not something that lasts a long time. I haven't even racked up 200 hours of playtime on my HG, whereas with B1 it was the first game I've EVER had to surpass 1000 hours of playtime. This could be because it was the first game in a generation, and I tend to have more hours on those. But is that the defining reason? I may never know.

I know that my view of Pokemon in recent years is largely negative. It is something I am well aware of, and it has been built up by watching both my growth with Pokemon over the years and the growth of Pokemon itself, as well as their MO for marketing. (Unova had two of the suckiest legendaries ever and TPCI does not cease to force them into our faces. Say what you will, Reshiram and Zekrom are objectively of bad design.) And just as I think I see a glimmer of light and think things might be getting better...they aren't. I'm still waiting for my Meloetta and I want her now. And that's the reasoning behind my disdain for an RSE remake - I don't want what happened to me and RBY/GSC to happen to RSE as well. Odds are it will not, but I do not feel like taking that chance; I do not wish to be met with more disappointment.

But that is what it is...it is my personal view. So please...don't dare suggest that my view is wrong because it does not match your view or any other optimistic view. My view will change based on my own experiences, past and present, with playing Pokemon. It will not change based on what you believe.

"Reshiram and Zekrom are objectively of bad design."

objectively? *facepalm*

How dare you destroy my recent joyful memories?

I don't get it. Is this some sarcastic thing you're doing? e.e

DNA said:
I never said I didn't like HGSS. On the contrary, I loved it! But I disliked how it made GSC completely obsolete...and unfortunately, that came after I started hating GSC due to HGSS existing. I do love HGSS because it re-imagined the Johto region and gave it a wonderful aesthetic appeal, and for the few months I was playing it, it was quite an experience. But was it worth it at the cost of shunning my very first game (Gold)? Were the few months I spent with HGSS as an adult enough to outweigh the five years I spent with GSC as a child? No, no they were not, because I grew up and saw Pokemon's progression throughout the years, becoming incredibly cynical of them as a result. (I am also not a fan of the youth of this generation, hence why I do not like seeing most new fans to Pokemon, but that is another story.)
This whole quote is just, wow. You can have your opinions and your views, but I will say this, they're really screwed up. Hating remakes because they somehow ruined your original experience with the original game? What? Also at the bold part: I want to say so many things to you, but I won't because you're a mod and it'll probably get me banned. All I'm going to say is no, just no.

(Unova had two of the suckiest legendaries ever and TPCI does not cease to force them into our faces. Say what you will, Reshiram and Zekrom are objectively of bad design.)

seinfield.gif

This whole quote is just, wow. You can have your opinions and your views, but I will say this, they're really screwed up. Hating remakes because they somehow ruined your original experience with the original game? What? Also at the bold part: I want to say so many things to you, but I won't because you're a mod and it'll probably get me banned. All I'm going to say is no, just no.

Just because his views don't agree with yours it doesn't mean you have to tell him his views are screwed up. It's a video game series he's voicing his personal opinion on, not politics.

scuba steveE said:
DNA said:

(Unova had two of the suckiest legendaries ever and TPCI does not cease to force them into our faces. Say what you will, Reshiram and Zekrom are objectively of bad design.)

*snip*

Funny because he said that other peoples views wouldn't change his.
EDIT: Also why wouldn't you argue? Just because he's a mod doesn't mean you can counter what they have said.

I agree with you DNA, that while remakes are good they make the original obsolete.
R/S/E2 would be better, new story, characters & more.

What I know from my personal experience and from what I get in my country, I don't even know anybody in person that likes Pokémon, so the only people that like Pokémon I'm aware of are people I see in Portuguese pokémon forums, and if I'm not wrong, most of them are around my age, meaning most of us here are the ones that started with Pokémon from the beginning (Gen 1), and a lot of people that used to like Pokémon when the fad started, are now gone and only know the first and maybe second gen. In my country, kids are now into things like Bakugan or Gormiti or wtv that crap is or some other franchise that looks cool to little kids and what not. Also, from what I read in The Deck Out blog entries of Pokémon around the world, the scenario doesn't seem very different in most other countries, the big exceptions being US and of course, Japan. So, my point is, I agree with DNA, they should stop targetting Pokémon towards new kids, they should target Pokémon to those that already know the franchise well and are actual fans of it. Of course, since Japan is the source and the situation there is different, they won't probably do that.

You know what, I'm just gonna say this. I want them to make gen 6 and then just stop! I'm serious, I simply don't see, I don't know, like in 2050 something, new gens of Pokémon still coming out. I don't want Pokémon to end up like digimon and start to lose popularity (as in pratically dead) for good but still coming out with new digimon (crappy I must say, but that's another story), and have like thousands of creatures and where most people won't probably even be able to name them all from memory... Plus, imagining a game where we have to complete a national dex of 1568 pokémon or something is just insane. This probably just sounds silly to most of you, but I want Pokémon to end (because it will end eventually, it's inevitable) while it's still good (I have no complaints on Gen V) and I'm still able to enjoy it. I don't see myself with 60 years old still playing Pokémon games and collecting cards. I don't know If I will do that with 40, let alone 60...
I can only think about the Dragon Ball franchise to exemplify. It ended (the main story), but it is still popular today (there's games and all that and there's even going to be a new movie next year) but it's mostly for people who grew up with it. Again, I speak for my personal experience, in my country, I'm pretty sure the little kids have no freakin' idea who Son Goku is... So, what I'm actually saying is not that Pokémon should stop or end like right now. They should just make gen 6 and then stop making new gens and the anime, and just continue to produce things with what we already have and know.
I probably contradicted myself in the whole post but it's kinda hard to explain exactly what's crossing my mind in regards to that subject. It's just my random thoughts about it. Actually, I'm probably just being selfish because I'm afraid to not be able to accompany Pokémon forever...

@ Metalizard, that is a good idea but they could release new Pokemon every now and then to keep things fresh.

They can go aim the 10k mark for all I care. As long as the quality stays as good as it is and the pace is perfect (like its been, ~125mons/3.5years), YESSSSSSSS

Theres millions of species and hundreds of mythologieas around the world. I never get bored of hearing about more.

Btw, the notion to "catch them all" has been abandoned 2 gens ago for a good reason.
Sure theres a fancy shiny charm for the people who will do it anyway, but in BW you dont need to even SEE the regional ~150 anymore or anything else.

I can see them totally running the franchise all the way to the ground by releasing over 1.5K+ Pokemon years from now, but when its popularity falls down to Digimon's level I can see them going back to the original 150 once that happens with new anime (original series, original clothes too maybe) and remakes of Gen 1 games yet again. After that I don't know where they can go from there.

Well in the last 17 years they seem to have always cared about maintaining a healthy pace, even after it became a popular and profitable.

I don't see them doing something stupid that would disturb their progress unless some serious changes happen to the people running it xD.

Blui129 said:
@ Metalizard, that is a good idea but they could release new Pokemon every now and then to keep things fresh.

Well, yes, I guess that would be okay...

The way I see it, and I understand what Mitja says, there's tons of myths and creatures in the world but, I don't know... I think they shouldn't pass the 1.000 pokémon species mark. After that, it will start being too much... It's not that I don't like to see new pokémon, in fact, I'm anxious for gen 6, but it's what I said about digimon, it will start to be too many species and there's already tons of people who hate gen V, I'm already expecting even more hate for Gen 6 because the feeling I get is with each new gen, there are more and more people who start to dislike the newer pokémon and lose interest in Pokémon... By gen 9 or something, pokémon will probably start (if not earlier) to lose popularity and eventually die, and I'd prefer if they stopped while it's still popular... just my opinion, maybe I'm being too pessimist...

btw, Mitja, the main reason I play the games is actually to catch all the species, either because I'm a collectionist by nature or because I like to feel that I have all those incredible creatures in that one game and I can play with any of them any time I want (as if they were real) or maybe both.

I have great faith in Pokémon, as a company, to adapt. I think they've done incredibly well in keeping a video game franchise active and thriving for over 15 years, with games that people of all ages can play and enjoy. They've already shown us, with Gen V, how they can switch up their own formulas to keep us on our toes. I believe that as the franchise continues, they will continue to grow and change, and to explore their concept of the game in new directions.

I don't think the people at Game Freak are really thinking ahead to times of having 10k+ Pokémon, but I'd be honestly shocked if they weren't considering new strategies as the number approaches 1k, and what they'll do to keep things fresh but not overwhelming, how to keep the spirit of the series alive without being overly constrained by previous formulas. They have a lot to gain by keeping as much of their audience as possible, catering to old and new players alike. It's a difficult balance, and it's one of the many reasons why I'm so interested to see what Pokémon comes up with in the future.

Metalizard said:
Blui129 said:

The way I see it, and I understand what Mitja says, there's tons of myths and creatures in the world but, I don't know... I think they shouldn't pass the 1.000 pokémon species mark. After that, it will start being too much... It's not that I don't like to see new pokémon, in fact, I'm anxious for gen 6, but it's what I said about digimon, it will start to be too many species and there's already tons of people who hate gen V, I'm already expecting even more hate for Gen 6 because the feeling I get is with each new gen, there are more and more people who start to dislike the newer pokémon and lose interest in Pokémon... By gen 9 or something, pokémon will probably start (if not earlier) to lose popularity and eventually die, and I'd prefer if they stopped while it's still popular... just my opinion, maybe I'm being too pessimist...

It started with 150. Unless that was overwhelming too, arriving at 1000 in 20 years is not even a growth of 7x... I don't see why 1000 would be the point between okay and too much, when it was literally hundreds of creatures from the start.

The difference between pokemon and digimon in their monsters from what Ive seen, is that digimon just goes and makes ANYTHING that comes to their mind, whereas most pokemon have at least some if not several interesting origin or inspiration, and the details chosen with great care instead of simply stuffing as much details as possible on them.

Mitja said:
It started with 150. Unless that was overwhelming too, arriving at 1000 in 20 years is not even a growth of 7x... I don't see why 1000 would be the point between okay and too much, when it was literally hundreds of creatures from the start.

The difference between pokemon and digimon in their monsters from what Ive seen, is that digimon just goes and makes ANYTHING that comes to their mind, whereas most pokemon have at least some if not several interesting origin or inspiration, and the details chosen with great care instead of simply stuffing as much details as possible on them.

for the most part I agree, but I think that a few of the 5th gen designs were just weird compared to older pokemon (Garbodor the trash bag, Gothitelle the goth princess thingy, Sigilyph the... wait what is that thing?)

also on a side note I remember reading somewhere that pokemon would only have 7 generations, it's probably just a rumor and I hope it's not true (since everyone seems to think the 6th would-to-be second to last gen is around the corner) but I'm not sure...

Mitja said:
Metalizard said:

I just said 1000 because it's a perfect round number to me...

THE ORIGINALS ARE BECOMING OBSOLETE BECAUSE THEY ARE 10 YEARS OLD! Seriously, its not the remakes that are making them obsolete. Its he technology that is advancing. You all sound like old people who cant accept change. I'm done here though. I have my opinion and you have yours. Nothing is going to change that. Just mind other people when you try and decide what should and shouldn't be made.

"Reshiram and Zekrom are objectively of bad design."

objectively? *facepalm*

How dare you destroy my recent joyful memories?

I don't get it. Is this some sarcastic thing you're doing? e.e
It might be! ...but I was actually being dead serious about the Reshiram/Zekrom thing. They're white/black from head to foot, and the only real special feature to either is that there's an engine in their tails. They're based off an abstract concept (yang/yin, or truth/ideals in English), instead of some force of nature like the others (although that might be because the other ones were taken).

You'd think for dragons owned by legendary heroes, they'd have more going for them in the design department. But they don't. They're both decidedly bland. I'm sorry; they just are. You have a whole host of interesting Unova Pokemon lining the Pokedex (with only a few really annoying ones), and then by the time you get to the signature legendary, it's...! ...a monochrome mess. You can love Gen 5 all you want (I love Gen 5 immensely), but Reshiram and Zekrom being bland isn't going to change any time soon.

This whole quote is just, wow. You can have your opinions and your views, but I will say this, they're really screwed up. Hating remakes because they somehow ruined your original experience with the original game? What?
377604721652c61cd233o.jpg

I'd say more, but I do believe this debate has run its course, so I'll drop it here and move somewhere else.

Also at the bold part: I want to say so many things to you, but I won't because you're a mod and it'll probably get me banned. All I'm going to say is no, just no.
Me ban you just because you disagree with me? lol, that's petty. There's no way I'd do something as stupid as that.
Don't be intimidated just because you disagree with me. In fact, I welcome it, and I won't be offended in the slightest.

...yes I'm aware my views are jacked-up and I always expect to get shouted at for them. But I look out more for the people who respect my views, because those people are a lot harder to find.

Why are you guys assuming that the older games are made worthless with remakes? It's not like the invention of a remake makes all the fun times you had with the base game irrelevant, lol.

Back