(1) Extremespeed Genesect [12/12]

The Pikachu Mafia said:
for the most part I agree, but I think that a few of the 5th gen designs were just weird compared to older pokemon (Garbodor the trash bag, Gothitelle the goth princess thingy, Sigilyph the... wait what is that thing?)

Compared to Muk, Alakazam and Magneton, huh?
And add Porygon, Exeggcute and Koffing for any other ones you might have brought up :p

They're perfectly in line with the pokemon universe and designs. Its just that everyone has expectations now, and notices the weird ones that they can criticize. But while that was quite applicable to gen 4, it backfires for gen 5 because it specifically aimed to reuse old concepts and make fresh versions of them.

DNA said:
It might be! ...but I was actually being dead serious about the Reshiram/Zekrom thing. They're white/black from head to foot, and the only real special feature to either is that there's an engine in their tails. They're based off an abstract concept (yang/yin, or truth/ideals in English), instead of some force of nature like the others (although that might be because the other ones were taken).

You'd think for dragons owned by legendary heroes, they'd have more going for them in the design department. But they don't. They're both decidedly bland. I'm sorry; they just are. You have a whole host of interesting Unova Pokemon lining the Pokedex (with only a few really annoying ones), and then by the time you get to the signature legendary, it's...! ...a monochrome mess. You can love Gen 5 all you want (I love Gen 5 immensely), but Reshiram and Zekrom being bland isn't going to change any time soon.

Conceptually they are only half of the story without considering Kyurem too.

While the birds in Kanto were just randomly chosen awesome types, the exact same 3 types were used here with actual reasoning behind them.
Reshiram and Zekrom have energy source tails, Kyurem is lacking one.
They are the 2 types that have to do with energy: Fire, Electric
The only 2 types related with the 4th and most energetic state of matter: plasma (hence Team Plasma)
Two polar opposites, but both representing positive.
Kyurem, as the Wuji on the other hand is the absence of energy, hence Ice.

I actually liked their monochrome colours, instead of being an obvious red for fire and yellow for electric like with the less important legends most of the time.

And the Original royal dragon of Unova is an intriguing idea to me. I haven't felt this kind of mystery about legendaries since GS, when I was wondering what Pokemon the beasts were before Ho-oh supposedly revived them.

As for the designs, yea they don't have some actual creature-inspiration like say the hebrew backgrounds for the Hoenn legends, they're just contrasting monsters based on Dragons.. which is the most curious mythological creature nonetheless (with how it has been known across the globes by all cultures even though there is no reference that would invoke the concept in the real world..).
The themes regarding their details are a nice further play on them being complete opposites. I mean how Reshiram is so heavenly, soft and feminine, while Zekrom looks so tough and masculine, I immediately knew their stats would be special/physical opposites.

I think the Dimension trio was a bit less thought through than these actually, but I like those a lot too, especially if you include Arceus.

It was also a nice touch IMO to go back from over-the-top creation stories to casual legends like GS.

PMJ said:
Why are you guys assuming that the older games are made worthless with remakes? It's not like the invention of a remake makes all the fun times you had with the base game irrelevant, lol.

Thank you, this is exactly the point I was trying to make. Just because the game gets remade doesn't mean that every copy of the original RSE magically stops working. You can still play the originals while the rest of us enjoy the remakes. I can respect that you wouldn't like a RSE because it tramples on your memories or whatever your reason, that's fine. But that doesn't mean that no one should be able to have them, there are a lot of people out there that would love to see the games get remade, and to say that they should be denied such an experience because you want to protect the way you experienced the game when it came it is quite frankly very selfish.

Anyway, this thread has gotten way off topic.

DNA said:
I'm getting it from the Japanese. Obviously, no Eeveelution's name in English begins with a B.

And not even that matches up, if you're following Gojuon ordering, it'd be more like:

Eevee, Espeon, Jolteon, Vaporeon, Leafeon, Glaceon, Flareon, Umbreon (actually I'm not 100% sure where Glaceon, Flareon, and Umbreon would go since Gojuon doesn't account for G and B sounds, but either way it definitely isn't alphabetical in either language).

Mitja said:
The Pikachu Mafia said:
for the most part I agree, but I think that a few of the 5th gen designs were just weird compared to older pokemon (Garbodor the trash bag, Gothitelle the goth princess thingy, Sigilyph the... wait what is that thing?)

And add Porygon, Exeggcute and Koffing for any other ones you might have brought up :p

They're perfectly in line with the pokemon universe and designs. Its just that everyone has expectations now, and notices the weird ones that they can criticize. But while that was quite applicable to gen 4, it backfires for gen 5 because it specifically aimed to reuse old concepts and make fresh versions of them.

You're probably right, it's just that we have expectations now, but still... the 1st gen seemed to have more pokemon based off animals and nature than the 5th gen did...

Bolt the Cat said:
And not even that matches up, if you're following Gojuon ordering, it'd be more like:

Eevee, Espeon, Jolteon, Vaporeon, Leafeon, Glaceon, Flareon, Umbreon (actually I'm not 100% sure where Glaceon, Flareon, and Umbreon would go since Gojuon doesn't account for G and B sounds, but either way it definitely isn't alphabetical in either language).
Yeah, I know. The ordering is weird and I have no idea where they got the ordering from. I was just throwing something out. But eh, whatever. I guess it doesn't matter that much. The Japanese are funny like that.

Mitja said:
[and then more words besides this but I didn't feel like making this post really big]
Mm, fair enough. I just found them really...well, meh, and for good reason. But yes, it's only one part to the whole story.
I would have loved to see the Omnidragon in BW2, but we didn't, and that made me very sad. Instead, I got to see Kyurem corrupted by the other two. (Yes, I do not like Kyurem White or Kyurem Black, but that's just me.)

Mitja said:
The themes regarding their details are a nice further play on them being complete opposites. I mean how Reshiram is so heavenly, soft and feminine, while Zekrom looks so tough and masculine, I immediately knew their stats would be special/physical opposites.
A lot of legend pairs (Kyogre/Groudon, Dialga/Palkia, Reshiram/Zekrom) have had stats swapped around as opposites, so there are no surprises there. (Dialga and Palkia swap defenses instead of offenses.)

DNA said:
Bolt the Cat said:

Yeah, I know. The ordering is weird and I have no idea where they got the ordering from. I was just throwing something out. But eh, whatever. I guess it doesn't matter that much. The Japanese are funny like that.

Mitja said:
[and then more words besides this but I didn't feel like making this post really big]
Mm, fair enough. I just found them really...well, meh, and for good reason. But yes, it's only one part to the whole story.
I would have loved to see the Omnidragon in BW2, but we didn't, and that made me very sad. Instead, I got to see Kyurem corrupted by the other two. (Yes, I do not like Kyurem White or Kyurem Black, but that's just me.)

Mitja said:
A lot of legend pairs (Kyogre/Groudon, Dialga/Palkia, Reshiram/Zekrom) have had stats swapped around as opposites, so there are no surprises there. (Dialga and Palkia swap defenses instead of offenses.)

I was really hoping they would make a 650th Pokemon based on the original dragon, though I knew it wouldn't happen... I dont like Kyurem's new forms either, and I dont like that they put white and black in front of its name. I mean, Giratina is still called Giratina with its forms. I will say, though, I dont dislike Kyurem's forms as much as I dislike Keldeo's new form. Its not really much different. And since the new movie revealed that all the Musketeers can wield a sword, it makes his form even more gimmicky. Also, I HATE Keldeo with a passion. I hate how he looks, his annoying dialogue in the movie and that he is basically a MLP for Pokemon.

If anyone corrects me on the misspelling of "form", I understand I'm not spelling it how Pokemon does it, but is not how you spell form.

evilpacman said:
Also, I HATE Keldeo with a passion. I hate how he looks, his annoying dialogue in the movie and that he is basically a MLP for Pokemon.

Nah, MLP's too good for Keldeo.

Bolt the Cat said:
evilpacman said:
Also, I HATE Keldeo with a passion. I hate how he looks, his annoying dialogue in the movie and that he is basically a MLP for Pokemon.

Nah, MLP's too good for Keldeo.

Would it even be possible for a pony-based Pokemon not to look like MLP?

The Pikachu Mafia said:
Mitja said:

You're probably right, it's just that we have expectations now, but still... the 1st gen seemed to have more pokemon based off animals and nature than the 5th gen did...
cle2.jpg

nostretches.png

Or maybe even / slot fitting map:
unova_inspired_by_kanto_by_moderndrift-d4w4o9i.png
Mewtwo should be below Genesect.

Ive been trying to show something like that in several ways across several fansites for a decade now, because it was going on since the beginning (just not as direct and obvious as gen V did)...but I actually saw a few new conenctions on these pics O:!

Some stuff can be even more connected tho.

For example,
Parasect-Crustle
; )

Mitja said:
Would it even be possible for a pony-based Pokemon not to look like MLP?

Kind of. The ones in FiM look more cartoony, so if they make something more realistic and imposing, it'll be different enough. But since Pokemon are typically cartoony as well, the resemblance will still be there.

DNA said:
Mitja said:

That's what I was expecting too. The original dragon. But that doesn't make me dislike the Kyurem formes... Honestly, I already liked normal Kyurem but the new formes look much better (or should I say, I'm like those kids that look at them and say "wow, they're so cool") than both normal Kyurem and Reshiram/Zekrom to me. They're not as bland as Reshiram and Zekrom like you say and they are like evolutions for Kyurem.

Still, I also wonder why did they decide to make 2 halves of the original dragon (meaning fusing Kyurem with either Zekrom or Reshiram) instead of making it in full (like, why can't Kyurem fuse with both Zekrom and Reshiram?). Not saying Kyurem is the original dragon, but if it is the one that absorbs the others, I thought the original dragon would be a complete Kyurem forme (a mix of Black Kyurem and White Kyurem, kinda like the sprite I made that's in my signature, though it most likely wouldn't look like that).

Well, that didn't happen this gen so that's why I'm so anxious for gen 6 to see if they will finally make the original dragon, most likely as a new pokémon, to be the trio master of the tao trio or something and of course, to see how it is supposed to look. It's like Mitja said, it's such a mystery that I always feel that urge to know (like I NEED to see how the original dragon is) that consumes me.

Is this the second time shiny legends in movies?
I'd like them to make an event for this like they did with Crown Beasts. Include an add-on to the game like Zoroark did. But we already have early Genesect promotion Pokemon.
I see another shiny event coming in 2013. :D

Omni5cent said:
I'd like them to make an event for this like they did with Crown Beasts. Include an add-on to the game like Zoroark did. But we already have early Genesect promotion Pokemon.

Both were pre-order events like the shiny Genesect
M13 - Shiny Beasts (the main event was Zorua unlocking Celebi)
M12 - Shiny Pichu (the main event was the Shinto ruins unlocking Arceus)

Either way, if the past 7 movies or so are any indication, there should be another pokemon they give out, which is either a previously not revealed Pokemon, or unlocks somethign related to one that starred in the movie.

Since there is no hidden pokemon left, it smells like Lucario/Zoroark of gen VI is coming up next 2 months.

scuba steveE said:
Extremespeed Genesect? That's such a weird title, though I guess it will be changed when it hits the west.

And a mini-movie featuring Eevee, hmmmm...

A new eveelution

Mitja said:
Omni5cent said:

Both were pre-order events like the shiny Genesect
M13 - Shiny Beasts (the main event was Zorua unlocking Celebi)
M12 - Shiny Pichu (the main event was the Shinto ruins unlocking Arceus)

Either way, if the past 7 movies or so are any indication, there should be another pokemon they give out, which is either a previously not revealed Pokemon, or unlocks somethign related to one that starred in the movie.

Since there is no hidden pokemon left, it smells like Lucario/Zoroark of gen VI is coming up next 2 months.

I'm guessing the Extremespeed forme of Genesect is unlocked. This isn't the first suprise of a new forme, as they did it with Rotom as well.

Wow. I've read a ton of comments. My opinion on GENESECT is that if it gets extremespeed at least it has a +2 priority move.On the ORIGINAL DRAGON, I appreciate your thoughts about getting it but no thats not going to happen. If they did, we would have something with a BST like Arceus.

Back