(1) 'CoroCoro' Reveals Mega Pokemon and Three Kalos Pokemon [8/8]

King Xerneas

Icy Goth
Game freak is totally toying with us. Pokemon Z and now in battle transformations!! Trolling in the best way possible :D

SuperDuper

Aspiring Trainer
Well if Blaziken is getting one, I would like to see every starter get one then. And I would also have prefered it if Absol's and Mawile's (Mawile's especially) were just regular evolutions. But other than those little things, I think they look fairly interesting. They probably could have done a bit more with Amparos' design, but I still enjoy it.

But if these Mega, or "Awakened", forms are supposed to be the pokemon's true potential and power, would it then be considered its true form rather than the ones we already knew of? Unless it is caused by a synthetic manmade process, then I suppose that idea would go out the window.

Hmm, anyway, it's interesting, to say the least.

Card Slinger J

Aspiring Trainer
Bogleech said:
They probably wanted to do this a few generations ago, but wanted to wait until Digimon was truly dead and unrevivable, so the fans and the makers of Digimon won't start complaining and do the lawsuit thing haha.

Um....dead and unrevivable? Where have you been? Digimon has had steadily had new games and new anime since its debut and is going as strong as ever right now. Its latest series only ended last year and was a huge hit in Japan...it's not going anywhere any time soon.

Transforming during battle is a common theme in anime, manga and games that they couldn't be sued over anyhow.

The only reason why Digimon is dead in North America is because the people behind the franchise don't see an interest in importing it over again like they did 10 years ago due to Pokemon's popularity in North America. 4Kids just got lucky with the Pokemon dub at the time cause If it wasn't for them this forum wouldn't exist and Digimon would still be as big in North America as it is in Japan right now.

Digimon was the first Monster Breeding JRPG of it's kind to have "transformations during battles", not sure If other popular JRPG's like Monster Rancher had something like that as well but for the most part Pokemon didn't incorporate "transformations during battles" until just now with Gen VI. To people who have followed Pokemon since Gen I they feel like it's a cop out by Game Freak to incorporate something very similar to "digivolving" in their games.

wereborg

~Mega~
Seeing the new "Mega", personally i feel conflicted, on one side i was happy to see ""3rd stage"", on other side, this didnt feel like pokemon

jdivinity

Still a dorky art student
So will next months CoroCoro (which is said to reveal more Pokemon, more Mega Evolutions, and an updated type chart) be the last before we get X & Y or do you think there will be another revealing more info a day or two before the release?

Jaime Runt

Aspiring Trainer
So can't we rule out the possibilities of an evolution for absol and mawile? Or do you think preevos will be able to get them as well? I need farfetch to get a megaevolution but first he has to evolve. Charizard and gyarados megas have to be part dragon too.

Anyway, I know no japanese. Does it say anywhere that only some pokemon can be mega? It doesn't seem fair that not every final stage gets one imo.

King Xerneas

Icy Goth
Since the Megas will insanely OP I have a feeling they'll be banned from competitive play, unless they add a new tier with just Megas. Hopefully some of the pseudo-legendaries get a Mega evolution (MegaHydreigon anybody??). I'm actually glad gamefreak added Megas to the game, it adds something fresh and new to the games; which has been needed for a while now.

TokenDuelist

YGO TCG is Cheaper. Fight me.
Card Slinger J said:
Bogleech said:
Um....dead and unrevivable? Where have you been? Digimon has had steadily had new games and new anime since its debut and is going as strong as ever right now. Its latest series only ended last year and was a huge hit in Japan...it's not going anywhere any time soon.

Transforming during battle is a common theme in anime, manga and games that they couldn't be sued over anyhow.

The only reason why Digimon is dead in North America is because the people behind the franchise don't see an interest in importing it over again like they did 10 years ago due to Pokemon's popularity in North America. 4Kids just got lucky with the Pokemon dub at the time cause If it wasn't for them this forum wouldn't exist and Digimon would still be as big in North America as it is in Japan right now.

Digimon was the first Monster Breeding JRPG of it's kind to have "transformations during battles", not sure If other popular JRPG's like Monster Rancher had something like that as well but for the most part Pokemon didn't incorporate "transformations during battles" until just now with Gen VI. To people who have followed Pokemon since Gen I they feel like it's a cop out by Game Freak to incorporate something very similar to "digivolving" in their games.

Actually to be fair, Digimon dug it's own grave with the video games by progressively making it's main DS Series games incompatible with each other, progressively having less digimon, ruining evolution lines, to borderline giving you a maximum of 30 Digimon.
We do not talk about the Xros Wars DS games, those do not exist. They are an illusion. Yes, an illusion that never came to be. Nothing so awful could exist.

but yeah, lately it's been getting strong again, it's a shame their DS Games got bad after the second one, and that's not just a biased opinion, they were just...not needed.

On the subject of the Mega Evolutions though - I think a lot of you saying "IT'S BREAKING THE GAME" need to take a few things into consideration.

Say Person A has a Dragonite, and they go with a neat strategy. But a MegaDragonite pulls it the opposite direction, they wouldn't use it, but it would still be powerful.
Person B has a Mawile, but alone - mawile stands no chance against Dragonite, but MegaMawile does.

See what I mean?

PyroPokeman

Aspiring Trainer
TokenDuelist said:
xxashxx said:
Guys Digimon died about 10 years or so ago.

No it didn't.

Um, for the record, if anyone can see my avatar, that is a Digimon from the 2012 Digimon series Digimon Xros wars, and believe it or not, there has been trailers for the English dub, and it may be coming this fall., if I recall. And I've never played the games, but the anime is coming back.

and I'm getting nostalgia again, excuse me for a moment.

Anywho....
If you don't like the Megas, that's ok, they are hinting that it is temporary and requires a Mega stone. No Mega Stone, no Amphabulous Amphabio, or any other Mega Pokemon, you can enjoy the game, and take the challenge of just fighting them off IF they are used by NPCs. There, problem solved.

I wonder what the Blazikenite does though.....

jdivinity

Still a dorky art student
I think I may have stated this previously and I'm not sure if anyone caught it because the whole MegaEvolution thing made everyone crazy, but I'm actually rather saddened by the four gym leaders shown so far.

Gen V's gym leaders were perfect, by far my favorite. They has pretty neat designs as well. These new gym leaders just really seem, boring.

Tensho

Aspiring Trainer
Can someone point out where in the scans that says not all pokemon have Mega Evolution. Just try to verify the info.

FennekinWright

Aspiring Trainer
Bogleech said:
The wings added to Absol are the worst thing, though. It's become a cliche' of terrible, unimaginative OC's and fakemon to just slap angel wings on something. I can't believe this is official and not a fake. It's unbelievable they'd really do something so tacky, cheap and lazy.
Absol's entire shtick is that it tries to warn people about disasters, but just ends up getting blamed for them. From that perspective, I feel like it makes sense for Mega Absol to be, in a very literal sense, a Dark-type guardian angel. I understand what they're getting at. Now, if they'd slapped angel wings on one of these other Pokémon, I think I'd be rolling my eyes as much as you are. Especially Mewtwo. That would just be the worst!

Wailady

Aspiring Trainer
Now that it's confirmed an eligible pokemon needs to hold the Mega Stone to transform in battle-only, I'm liking this update a lot more. I just don't like that they get beefed up stats with apparently no draw backs like lower defense or speed. It puts the 500/600+ Pokemon that aren't getting a Mega-form at a pretty big disadvantage.

Also, Blaziken is my least favorite final starter evolution, but his Mega-form is really cool looking.

TokenDuelist

YGO TCG is Cheaper. Fight me.
jdivinity said:
I think I may have stated this previously and I'm not sure if anyone caught it because the whole MegaEvolution thing made everyone crazy, but I'm actually rather saddened by the four gym leaders shown so far.

Gen V's gym leaders were perfect, by far my favorite. They has pretty neat designs as well. These new gym leaders just really seem, boring.

I felt that way up until Koruni because personally I really love her design, I'm a sucker for skater girls though.

I am kind of annoyed that people are saying she might be a dark-type gym leader.

Because ya know - a karate gi themed shirt, sporty gym aswell as appearance, and a mienshao (possibly MegaMienshao indication too) themed helmet totally screams "I'm a dark-type gym leader!" right?

Setosama

Mew Trainer
PyroPokeman said:
TokenDuelist said:
No it didn't.

Um, for the record, if anyone can see my avatar, that is a Digimon from the 2012 Digimon series Digimon Xros wars, and believe it or not, there has been trailers for the English dub, and it may be coming this fall., if I recall. And I've never played the games, but the anime is coming back.

and I'm getting nostalgia again, excuse me for a moment.

Anywho....
If you don't like the Megas, that's ok, they are hinting that it is temporary and requires a Mega stone. No Mega Stone, no Amphabulous Amphabio, or any other Mega Pokemon, you can enjoy the game, and take the challenge of just fighting them off IF they are used by NPCs. There, problem solved.

I wonder what the Blazikenite does though....

Yup! OmegaShoutmon! WOOT!!! Love Xros Wars! (With the exception of that 3rd Season... huh... Xros Wars and My Little Pony have something in common...)

That 3rd Season was copying Pokemon SO hard it was almost unbearable! (Add to that how freaking annoying Tagiru was!) I almost couldn't stomach that 3rd season and if it weren't for the epic Xros Over at the very end between all 5 series, I'd have dropped that season MUCH earlier. WAY too much filler and "Here at Digimon, we like to think Pokemon copies us. Hyukhyuk!"

That said, back on the subject, I wonder what other pokemon will be receiving Mega Evolutions... I agree it's kinda sad that for Pokemon like Absol and Mawile these things aren't permanent. T-T

ashyboy

Aspiring Trainer
Am I the only one at war with myself right now? I mean I love the designs but there are two major things that bug me
1. These mega forms are basically sorta like a 4th stage in battle so then many pokemon should get it and as much as I like the new look Id rather have the pokedex filled with new rather than these megas. I absolutely love Absol and Mawile but I wished they were normal evos.
2. Why do strong pokemon get this boost I mean Ampharos Blaziken and Lucario are pretty strong as it is but this mega will overshadow everything now especially those with stats below 400. And one more thing Blaziken with higher attack wont be stronger than normal banded blaze..but Lucario is really strong now I mean adaptibility and higher speed and attack...OMG at least the mega wont be too insane since they cant hold items.

But as strong as Lucario and Blaziken are Mawile taps them all. Why? Huge power! With a base attack of 85 and huge power it attack can reach a maximum of 590 which not even attack form Deoxis can mess with but at least its not too fast although being immune to dragon and poison makes you a beast.

tso

Aspiring Trainer
man i'm glad i held off judgement for the extra pages. lucario and absol look good in-engine. liiiiking the new absol

Wailady said:
I just don't like that they get beefed up stats with apparently no draw backs like lower defense or speed. It puts the 500/600+ Pokemon that aren't getting a Mega-form at a pretty big disadvantage.

competitively speaking, assuming it functions as "transform when entering battle", it at least uses up an item slot, which is a hugely defining feature.

D.N.A

Aspiring Trainer
I'm particularly interested in how these Pokemon are going to fit into the story. Admittedly they revealed Electivire before release even though he wasn't obtainable prior to getting the National Dex, but he was still a fourth gen Pokemon. For X and Y we've been shown a whole slew of new Pokemon which would be very unusual to see in the Regional Dex. I doubt that Blaziken, for example, would be available prior to beating the E4, but he's one of the unveiled Mega Pokemon...

The Mega mechanic does make using older Pokemon more appealing (though to be honest I'd use Blaziken and Lucario regardless!). For the life of me though, I don't understand why we didn't just get an evo for Mawile and Absol...

At least it's pretty safe to assume the Mega mechanic will be introduced into the TCG as a revived Level X mechanic.

AlvisDBridges

Veteran Trainer
i hope at least some of the megas are permanent, it would be lame for mawile to stay lame half the time....

actually! i hope its like giratina and his origin forme, as long as they hold the mega stone they stay in the awesome forme? that would be baller, and seems like the way they're thinking, (i hope) what with the attribute boosts inherent in the forme, that you'd normally get from held items, right?