(1) Chandelure-EX from ‘EX Battle Boost’ – Basic EX? [6/29]

(goes to scream a bit)
Although I do not like the idea of making evolved Pokemon Basic EX's, I suppose it's like the star mechanic. I actually think this card is very, VERY good early (40 snipe? I'll take it) but not as good late.

BUT
It is too similar to the NVI Chandelure for me to believe it until it's confirmed.

Could this mean that they are making beefed up Basic EX versions of Stage-2 cards? Hopefully they're not all this sucky.

I'm so much disappointed. The way things are going, they'll take out Stage 2s from XY completely. Oh no, they'll keep them, since 3/4 of the sets are filler garbage anyways...

Sorry for the negativeness. It's just sad to see this game undevelop so much.

I can see a potential Slyveon EX that is designed SPECIFICALLY to loosen Darkrais ever present grip on the metagame

Here's hoping Chandelure EX is a fake as well.

To reiterate what has been said... this defeats the purpose of the Pokémon-EX mechanic.

Why did they start releasing Pokémon-EX the way they did? As far as I can tell, so that Legendary Pokémon could be as powerful as they were in the video games... with the two Prize penalty expected to balance them out. We've done "powered-up Pokémon" mechanic how many times by now? That is all Pokémon-EX will be if non-Legendary Pokémon start sporting the gimmick.

Evolution is pretty much the defining mechanic of Pokémon, both in the TCG and the video games. If the card designers wanted to dump it that bad... they just need to start from scratch. Part of why I am hoping this is a fake. If they want to make Evolutions equally viable to Basic Pokémon, stop making Basic Pokémon (EX or otherwise) that can hit for great damage first/second turn, and stop releasing so many support cards where the primary usage is just that; upping damage fast.

1) Easiest (but slow) way to do it is to just stop printing Basic Pokémon (at all) with damaging attacks that can be powered-up (e.g. take Energy acceleration into account) on a player's first turn and hit for damage... at all. Because there are too many "boosters" right now so that even a little damage can get out of hand.

2) Start printing lower Stages worth using. Start "front loading" HP scores; we already aren't representing HP the same as the video games, might as well put most of a cards HP on its Basic form. Start giving worthwhile attacks and Abilities to Evolving Pokémon, preferably ones useful for transition (e.g. not something that will just make people play the lower Stage and ignore the rest). I am thinking mostly attacks and Abilities that are a one-shot aid in setting up... and remember that they have to be good enough to basically replace an Item, as that is what most Basic Pokémon focused decks will run in place of an Evolution.

Do these two things hopefully and when we go to X&Y-On, players can choose to run a mono-Basic Pokémon deck stuffed with Trainers, but their non-Evolving Basic Pokémon won't set-up super fast and be jack-of-all-trades (you know, useful attacker and Ability Bench-sitter). They'll have uses, but just not being balance-threateningly over efficient. Then Stage 2 Pokémon will have the set-up time they need.

Because in the end, don't we want fully Evolved Pokémon (be they Basic, Stage 1, or Stage 2) that are meant to fill a similar role (attacker, Bench-sitter, opener, closer, whatever) to end up being roughly equal? Thus balancing them out has to come through making Evolving a benefit, and one on par with extra space destined to mostly be filled by Trainers.

Isn't this described as a special set similar to shiny collection? with these sets the usually break the rules ( what's normal in a set)... Like how they made emolga into a full art in shiny collection, & all holos in a set. Non legendary EXs probably won't be something normal (aleast with the BW era).

This isn't a special set. Special sets (IE Dragon vault/Shiny collection) Tend to have way less cards and are considered mini-sets which are special sets. This is just a big wrap-up of all the BW-era pokemon card sets, with quite some surprises!

Guys guys guys, I just thought of something.
Bare with me on this one. It's slow (at least, in this format), but it could be a funny rogue.
Chandelure EX/Cofagrigus/Garbodor

Chandelure to open and lay down the special conditions,
Cofagrigus with Slap Of Misfortune - 70 damage and whenever your opponent flips, count it as tails,
Garbodor to prevent Keldeo, Darkrai and Virizion.
Perhaps tech in Jellicent to bump Retreat Costs, and play a ton of Tool Scrapper against Float Stone.

With Confusion they can't attack, because Cofagrigus.

IT MIGHT HAVE A USE YET! Let's see how speedy our next format will be.

This is either a Photoshop job or PCL making a really bad spiritual successor.

...The sad bit is that both of those possibilities are equally likely.

Salamencetrainer34 said:
This isn't a special set. Special sets (IE Dragon vault/Shiny collection) Tend to have way less cards and are considered mini-sets which are special sets. This is just a big wrap-up of all the BW-era pokemon card sets, with quite some surprises!

Don't know how accurate bulbapedia is , but quote: "The release is described as a Concept Pack, similar to Shiny Collection" . And as others have mentioned, there is no rarity on theses cards, so I assumed this would take it out of the "regular set" category.

Link to set info: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/EX_Battle_Boost_(TCG)

This...I don't buy it just yet. Could be true, but it's so close to the other card of it that I have to question it. Kinda cool concept but...what?

Dracidius said:
What I thought when I saw this: Maybe there are no regular holos in this set, only EX cards! Think about it, no regular holos have been revealed yet. And there are already 11 EXs confirmed (yes, the commercial on the official website shows regular Kyurem EX as well).

Emboar is alluded to be holo on the official site.

bw10_photo_10.png

Delta Nite said:
I'm so much disappointed. The way things are going, they'll take out Stage 2s from XY completely. Oh no, they'll keep them, since 3/4 of the sets are filler garbage anyways...

Sorry for the negativeness. It's just sad to see this game undevelop so much.

They better not take out Stage 2's from XY completely or I'll quit the TCG, I also find it insulting by TPCi that they feel the need to make EX Pokemon into Basics because they have this mentality that Stage 1 and Stage 2 evolutions are bad for the game when they're not, at least that's what I'm getting at with Chandelure as an EX Basic when it should've been an EX Stage 2 Pokemon. Sad to see potential like this go to waste ya know.

This is also the direct result of TPCi's disconnect with the people who play the Pokemon TCG as well and I remember J-Wittz addressing this problem on his own YouTube channel awhile back. This situation I feel could only get worse If TPCi and P!P feels the need to rotate out Rare Candy in the next Modified Rotation which would mean that unless Rare Candy got reprinted in EX Battle Boost and they rotate out Dark Explorers it would dumb the game down much further thus causing alot of people to quit the TCG.

Card Slinger J said:
This situation I feel could only get worse If TPCi and P!P feels the need to rotate out Rare Candy in the next Modified Rotation which would mean that unless Rare Candy got reprinted in EX Battle Boost and they rotate out Dark Explorers it would dumb the game down much further thus causing alot of people to quit the TCG.

Rare Candy isn't going anywhere. It's getting a Shiny Reprint in Plasma Blast (well, I can't say that for certain, but it's in Megalo Cannon).

Woah, woah woah! Everybody, calm the heck down! What if I told you, that just because they are making a stage 2 pokemon as a basic EX, doesn't mean that all stage 2's will be gone forever.

Ryan Sinclair said:
Guys guys guys, I just thought of something.
Bare with me on this one. It's slow (at least, in this format), but it could be a funny rogue.
Chandelure EX/Cofagrigus/Garbodor

Chandelure to open and lay down the special conditions,
Cofagrigus with Slap Of Misfortune - 70 damage and whenever your opponent flips, count it as tails,
Garbodor to prevent Keldeo, Darkrai and Virizion.
Perhaps tech in Jellicent to bump Retreat Costs, and play a ton of Tool Scrapper against Float Stone.

With Confusion they can't attack, because Cofagrigus.

IT MIGHT HAVE A USE YET! Let's see how speedy our next format will be.
What? This doesn't make sense.

Salamencetrainer34 said:
Woah, woah woah! Everybody, calm the heck down! What if I told you, that just because they are making a stage 2 pokemon as a basic EX, doesn't mean that all stage 2's will be gone forever.

pic_morpheus.jpg

Back