‘CoroCoro’ Revealing Updated Character Designs, Contest Pikachu [7/11]

I'm digging most of the redesigns, especially Brawly. I couldn't care less about the Pikachu outfits, although they make more sense when you realize they represent the contest categories.

The Pikachu outfits are pretty cute and I think Flanney has the worst resdesign, I personally prefer her R/S/E design though.

Omg people are complaining about the stance of a character in an artwork. I'm outta here.

AW!!!! The Pikachu costumes all look so cute. I almost thought the "cool" Pikachu was wearing Kamina glasses though, but they were colored eye brows. I love the designs on these Gym Leaders!!!

I love Brawly's new look, they really combined his surfer side with the fighter attribute of his gym.

And the GBA Pokedex. I can't stop smiling. I want to redesign mine like that. XD

I love the throw-back Pokédex, and most of the new redesigns.

As for the whole dress-up thing; meh. I'm just going to do what I always did in all the previous Generations: ignore all of that cutesy mini-game junk and head straight for the League and/or Battle Frontier.

Wow this game is gonna be epic!!! I'm digging everything they've shown so far. Sidney looks great with that bad boy attitude that's so suitable for a dark type trainer. Brawly, Norman and Flannery look pretty cool as well and my favourite joyful grandpa has a very casual look now! And those pikachu costumes are adorable. Am I too delusional for hoping every pokemon will get their 5 outfits as well? I know it might be a lot of work for them to do that but how cool would it be indeed.

everyones talking about the redesigns, but the thing that got my attention was Dusknoir.

Dusknoir is a unique item+trade evolution. That is interesting, because last time they were adding a bunch of evos into the regional dex of a remake, they wanted really hard to keep as many out as possible (so all the stone evolutions, item evolutions and item+trade evolutions were excluded), meaning no Togekiss, no Electivire, no newer eeveelutions, no Weavile etc etc... just the 4 that they couldn't exclude due to evolving with learning moves (closest to natural level evolution they've come with later evos).

Meaning if the extreme of the spectrum, Dusknoir, is in the Hoenn-dex, then ALL new stages to any Hoenn-dex pokemon are given.
(yay Roserade, yay Froslass, yay Magnezone, yay etc.)

And if they're adding actually noticable pokemon (and coupled with the fact they're adding megas and new formes all over the place too), there is no reason why they would pretend like the dex is the same, and would likely add a few dozen more regular pokemon too.

Conclusion: I bet the New Hoenndex will be 300 pokemon long (or at least 250)

YAY POKEMON AMIE RETURNS :D I was hoping for that.

I love Roxanne and Norman's new looks. Wattson's electric jacket is nice. Brawly's look fits him more now, but he kind of reminds me of Naruto, so I'll have to wash that association from my brain (I don't like Naruto). Flannery was a character I never payed that much attention to and was completely indifferent about in the original RSE, but I like her new design.
Sidney looks psychopathic O_O He doesn't need Pokemon; his expression would be enough to scare me away from the Pokemon League. He should have the Intimidate ability. Phoebe looks the same, but I like the twirly position; its very elegant. And I'm glad they included evolutions that have been added since 3rd Gen and gave her a Dusknoir; her and Glacia's teams were ridiculously repetitive.
The Pikachu are all so adorable ^_^ as is Professor Birch. And the GBA Pokedex design is neat. #throwbackthursdays #itsactuallyfridaytho

The moment I saw Flannery, I thought of this

306358_451349364919027_630909503_n.png

Leaf_Ranger said:
Wattson just looks like he can have a double personality looking like Dr. Robotnik/Eggman from the Sonic series. Btw, a jumpsuit right after Clemont? Yeah, that' really original. Sure, they're both inventors but they look like grandpa and grandson.

Wattson has always worn a jumpsuit. It was just more concealed in the original games.

http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/upload/b/b8/Ruby_Sapphire_Wattson.png

DevinTheWelf said:
Can't really complain about any the Gym/E4 leader redesigns except for Sydney. They tried way too hard to make him seem like a dark and edgy kinda guy, but that might just be because of the pose, I'm sure he'll look better standing up like a normal person.
His redesign pose is the exact same as the one in the original games. If the pose is an attempt to make him dark and edgy, then that's what they had in mind for Sidney all along.

http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/upload/8/86/Spr_RS_Sidney.png

To be honest, I think it's the face that make him seem so dark and edgy.

Mitja said:
everyones talking about the redesigns, but the thing that got my attention was Dusknoir.

That was the thing that caught my attention as well. I don't remember when, but one of the official sources said that Hoenn would have new/more Pokémon this time around. This confirms that they weren't just referring to Mega Evolutions, but to old Pokémon that didn't exist at the time of Ruby and Sapphire as well. I think your estimate of 250 sounds pretty plausible, unless they're going to readjust the locations of the native Pokémon to create a system like in X/Y where most Pokémon are exclusive to a specific route.

Am I the only one that hopes they "unlock" a new biome of ice types? Besides shoal cave...
I know Hoenn is the tropical region, and I LOVE that, but I want a place to find some nice ice types in a nice frozen environment. Since they're expanding the Hoenn dex, they're going to probably have more ice types. Do you think Shoal cave is an appropriate place for them to be housed in?
P.S. From what I recall I haven't seen any snow on the Hoenn map.

Bapozos said:
Am I the only one that hopes they "unlock" a new biome of ice types? Besides shoal cave...
I know Hoenn is the tropical region, and I LOVE that, but I want a place to find some nice ice types in a nice frozen environment. Since they're expanding the Hoenn dex, they're going to probably have more ice types. Do you think Shoal cave is an appropriate place for them to be housed in?
P.S. From what I recall I haven't seen any snow on the Hoenn map.

Hoenn doesn't have any snowy areas. It is, after all, a tropical region.

Nevertheless, Hoenn does have two pure Ice-types (Snorunt/Glalie) I totally forgot where you can catch them (I'm assuming Shoal Cave) anyway, they have to add more Ice-types because Glacia previously had two same kind of Ice-type on her team and that's just stupid. Seeing Dusknoir as Phoebe's pokemon and that possibly means Glacia will get different Ice-type pokemon besides Sealeo/Glalie/Walrein.

tumblr_n8kzz3tYYI1s9xyz4o1_500.jpg

This is my analysis of the new Hoenn map. I didn't see any new possible Ice biomes, but I hope those clouds are covering up other places. ADVENTURE AWAITS!!!

P.S. If I missed any locations, or you believe I mislabeled a location, PLEASE let me know.
P.P.S. I know the routes may be inaccurate... I didn't want to outline every single crook and cranny of the region... too tedious of a task.

EDIT:
I find it interesting that they cut off the route with the abandoned ship and Dewford town... something may be hidden there!!!

Can I just say that I REALLY like Brawley's redesign? I went from near hating him to him probably being my favorite fighting gym leader now- not that I really had a favorite to begin with, but now I do. But yeah, now he actually looks like he, you know, brawls.

Im kinda indifferent about this whole Pokemon dress-up thing. On one hand, its a little unnecessarily overdone, and on the other, THAT MADAME PIKACHU IS THE CUTEST THING EVER. I have a ton of questions, though. Is the black end of female Pikachus tail a permanent redesign? Will the male get a change? Can the clothes appear in battle? Can they actually be worn by every Pokemon? I feel like the clothing must be very limited for it to fit on all 700+ models... Im interested to see where these cute little costumes go though. I do kinda hope every pokemon has a fitting costume.

I'm really excited for contests to be back. I always partook in them and always had a blast! Well, that I almost always won. Pfft, computer trainers. Complete rookies.

And well, Magic Bounce for Mega Diance? I was expecting some sort of gem ability. Like, I dunno. Just not Magic Bounce.

Seriously what is it with Gamefreak and giving Magic Bounce to everything. What's next, Magic Bounce Mega Metagross.

Bapozos said:
tumblr_n8kzz3tYYI1s9xyz4o1_500.jpg

This is my analysis of the new Hoenn map. I didn't see any new possible Ice biomes, but I hope those clouds are covering up other places. ADVENTURE AWAITS!!!

P.S. If I missed any locations, or you believe I mislabeled a location, PLEASE let me know.
P.P.S. I know the routes may be inaccurate... I didn't want to outline every single crook and cranny of the region... too tedious of a task.

Several corrections.

Basically all the added routes are unlikely (that one going up to the "new area"-island with nothing on it, the one going from sootopolis to the sky tower for no reason, and the mess in the lower right, where the Battle Tower/Frontier is hiding).

The legendary spot that you probably put there for Rayquaza, actually goes in the cloud northwest of it, because that's where the Sky Tower is hidden. Yours is where Mirage island was replaced with seemingly another place accessed by diving.

Now the "unknown areas":
-the big one in the east is just the islands that were there before already. The island with the 3 fishermen seems to have more rock on it, but it's not changed much.
-the crater-like area northwest of it is a an area accessed via diving, that was also in RSE exactly like that
-the are southeast is new, but it's likely yet just another diving accessed area to make the route less boring.
-the dark cloud in the north is something I'd put in the mysterious or legendary location category
-I also doubt the big island south of Pacifidlog has a purpose, since we will take the ship to the Battle Tower/Frontier to go past it anyway

An area of interest that's not marked is the Abandoned ship, as it looks nothing like a crashed ship and is way too big (the part of the map is cut off in your picture)

grassdragon said:
corocoro8149.jpg

Mega Diance gets Magic bounce

AND next months issue (August 12th) will include a "MegaEvolution scoop"
I'm praying for Mega Milotic, Tropius, Flygon, Salamence, Kecleon, Slaking, Breloom, Armaldo, Cradily, and Gallade. That's just a 1/3 of my list.

I find it interesting that Diancie's shield of gems are similar to Sabeleye's huge red gem. That must be one impenetrable shield she got there.

Back