SM10a \'GG End\' Mini-Set in April

SharKing

I won't bite... much.
I'm legitimately upset that Reset Stamp is a thing. N was already annoying in the late-game, but he had two major factors balancing him.

One, he also forces the user to shuffle their hand away, which becomes a double-edged sword if the user's taken some prizes.
Two, he's a Supporter, so not only is he limited to one use per turn, he also has to compete with whatever other Supporter the user has access to that turn.

Reset Stamp sees neither of these downsides: it doesn't cost you anything to use, and you still get to use a Supporter. The only "balancing" factor this card has is that it's not good early-game, but that's hardly sufficient for how broken it is late-game.

Wechselbalg

brb
Also, stall wins by you decking, so them shuffling your hand into your deck makes it harder for them to win.

Not if they stamp you to 2-3 and remove your energy, counter catcher etc., and let's not forget Lt. Surge, this stamp is a gift for stall/distruption. Marshadow is a much better counter to stall since giving the stall player a new hand of six doesn't hurt them that much, whereas shuffle to 4 after a Steven can basically win the match for you against anything, not just stall. The strategy of stall/distruption in this meta is to run you out of resources/energy until you just have to concede which is much easier if they can make you brick and stamp helps with that a lot.

If they were to bring a hand disrupter back, my preference would have been Ace Trainer: It only works when you're behind on prizes, and drawing down to 3 should be the maximum effect of any hand disrupter.

I've also been waiting for an Ace Trainer reprint, although with Lt. Surge in the format that card would also be a lot stronger than it should be. I guess PCL/TPCi just seem to have a boner completely f*cking up this game. Ever since the release of Team Up the game has started to go downhill really fast and it doesn't look like it's going to stop anytime soon. The last time standard was this bad was between the release of BUS and SLG but that only lasted 2 months.

Flygonite

Meta/budget player
Not if they stamp you to 2-3 and remove your energy, counter catcher etc., and let's not forget Lt. Surge, this stamp is a gift for stall/distruption. Marshadow is a much better counter to stall since giving the stall player a new hand of six doesn't hurt them that much, whereas shuffle to 4 after a Steven can basically win the match for you against anything, not just stall. The strategy of stall/dsitruption in this meta is to run you out of resources/energy until you just have to concede which is much easier if they can make you brick and stamp helps with that a lot.

I've also been waiting for an Ace Trainer reprint, although with Lt. Surge in the format that card would also be a lot stronger than it should be. I guess PCL/TPCi just seem to have a boner completely f*cking up this game. Ever since the release of Team Up the game has started to go downhill really fast and it doesn't look like it's going to stop anytime soon. The last time standard was this bad was between the release of BUS and SLG but that only lasted 2 months.

Do you even play stall? The hands you get by playing against stall get pretty damn big, you don't want to draw stuff at the late game. Returning all your opponent stuff to the deck is horrible.

>the strategy of stall/disruption in this meta is to run you out of resources
Got it, you don't play stall. Unless you think that your 4 Crushing Hammers and maybe some Plumerias are enough to counter PikaZekrom, Zapdos (remember Thunder Mountain is a thing), Malamar... Wailord stall aims for strong disruption early turns (hence Wondrous Labyrinth and not even playing energy disruptors aside from Crushing Hammer), and the opponent drawing more and more cards. Stamp runs counter to that philosophy.

Last edited:

Wechselbalg

brb
Do you even play stall? The hands you get by playing against stall get pretty damn big, you don't want to draw stuff at the late game. Returning all your opponent stuff to the deck is horrible.

Got it, you don't play stall.

So, pray tell me, my lord, how do you approach stall in the current standard meta so that I might bask in your infinite wisdom?

Flygonite

Meta/budget player
Stall in this format has been winning by decking out the opponent. Not my wisdom, the ones of the people I have dueled against and the topping players. Check out these decklists.

http://limitlesstcg.com/decks/?id=20

Most don't even run Crushing Hammers, considering how easy it is for meta decks to recover from them or outright ignore them (Thunder Mountain, Malamar and Blacephalon). Plumeria is used on the early turns to prevent your opponent killing your Oddishes but that's it. The stamp runs counter to that play-style. By all means, seriously, run Stamp just to deck out earlier than your opponent or make decking out your opponent even longer, so you run out of time in the complete match and if the opponent won game 1 they just autowin.

Wechselbalg

brb

Got it, you don't play stall. Unless you think that your 4 Crushing Hammers and maybe some Plumerias are enough to counter PikaZekrom, Zapdos (remember Thunder Mountain is a thing), Malamar... Wailord stall aims for strong disruption early turns (hence Wondrous Labyrinth and not even playing energy disruptors aside from Crushing Hammer), and the opponent drawing more and more cards. Stamp runs counter to that philosophy.

That's why Vileplume versions are probably the best stall decks right now, and will remain to be so until it rotates since TTGGXes dominate/will dominate the meta, which is further proven by the fact that the link you provided also lists a Vileplume variant.

Last edited:

Number51x

Blasting off at the speed of light!
Reset Stamp is busted and will make people quit (maybe). Seriously, I'll be surprised if this card doesn't end up getting banned after it rotates... And It'll be a long ass time before that happens.
N, but it's one-sided and it's an item. Yeah... Busted.
There needs to be some downside. End your turn, mill yourself, something! Or some good item lock in the same format.

Flygonite

Meta/budget player
The drawback is that it does nothing for you and it only works until late game, while also doing nothing against decks using Jirachi given how they can just search for another draw supporter with their Jirachi. I'm sure it will be game winning some of the times you use it, but it's not as busted as you guys are making it look. If the opponent doesn't have their back-up attackers or bench ready in the late game they're already losing anyway.

JumpluffTCG

Aspiring Trainer
Reset Stamp is actually quite balanced. Hard to search (Volkner, Alolan Ninetails GX, racking my brain unsuccessfully for other examples).

I think Green's Search, so Tag Teams that don't rely on abilities have no issues getting this card when it's needed. Otherwise, I think it will definitely see play in Zoroark variants.

Flygonite

Meta/budget player
The rotation always gets rid of either 1 year worth of sets, or even more, so it's guaranteed to not be a thing. We're getting from Ultra Prism on probably.

iGeek256

I only use Electric types. Help me
Reset Stamp is actually quite balanced. Hard to search (Volkner, Alolan Ninetails GX, racking my brain unsuccessfully for other examples).

But think of it this way: it will typically be a dead card until mid-game or when your opponent is down to 4 prizes or less. When you are setting up and see Reset Stamp in your hand, you are going to want to Ultra Ball it away to improve your consistency. So do you run 1? Not optimal, because it will be hard to find when you need it unless you already run a card that can search it. Run 4? Messes your consistency. I think it will be played a lot and will win games, but I don't think it will be anywhere close to banable.
Green's search?

Mert

Aspiring Trainer
I appreciate TPCI's willingness to experiment with cards sometimes bc it's led to some interesting decks in the past. Reset Stamp is not one of those cards...I mean they banned Lusamine in expanded and that's a rather recent card. Does TPCI ban cards often, or is it something they've recently just accelerated bc of all these new card combos?
The latter.

AngryBokoblin

Guzzlord is fun
The strategy of stall/distruption in this meta is to run you out of resources/energy until you just have to concede which is much easier if they can make you brick and stamp helps with that a lot.
I have an idea. Just don't concede.

Even if stall gets rid of my 11 energy AND I misplay so I get guzma stalled, that doesn't make them win. They still have to run me through my deck before time is called.

And with 3 cynthias and them (allegedly) playing that stamp to shuffle my hand in, they're not going to be able to win.

The best they can do is tie.
Last time I checked, no one is winning tournaments by tying.