Contest Autumn 2018 CaC: Counters & Markers! (Results Up!)

Vom

livin' in a lonely world
Forum Mod
[Basic] Deoxys GX – [P] – HP190

Ability: Wow! Signal
When you play this Pokémon from your hand onto your Bench during your turn, you may put any amount of Energy attached to your Pokémon in the Lost Zone. Put one Alien Virus counter on each Pokémon that doesn't have any Energy attached to it for each card put in the Lost Zone in this way. The attacks of Pokémon with Alien Virus counters cost [C] more for each Alien Virus counter on them. (If a Pokémon evolves, remove 1 Alien Virus counter from it.)

[C] Close Encounter
This attack does 30 damage to each of your opponent's Pokémon for each Alien Virus counter on it. Also apply Weakness and Resistance for Benched Pokémon. If a Basic Pokémon (except for Pokémon-GX or Pokémon-EX) would be Knocked Out by damage from this attack, that Pokémon is not Knocked Out and its remaining HP becomes 10 instead.

[C][C] World Ender GX
Knock Out each Pokémon that has any Alien Virus counters on it. Neither player can take more than 2 Prize cards during the turn you use this attack. If this Pokémon has 60HP or less, this attack does nothing.

Weakness: [P] x2
Resistance: -
Retreat: -
GX Rule: When your Pokémon GX is Knocked Out, your opponent takes 2 Prize cards.
Tapu Lele GX
Blacephalon GX
Head Ringer
Focus Sash
Espeon PLF
I tried to go for a card that had a lot of decision-making involved for both players, reflected by its ability and attack. Do you sacrifice more Energy to get more counters? Do you not evolve your set up Pokémon in order to avoid potentially being Knocked Out, or is getting an important KO more important? How many of your own Pokémon do you infect?
On to the card itself, I chose Deoxys because it's one of my favorite Pokémon. The Ability and attacks are like a possible sequence of events of alien contact, the first being the famous wow signal , followed by the actual first encounter, and then by the plot of every alien sci-fi movie ever. It's important to note the Ability interacts even with Deoxys itself, so the attack costs have been balanced around that. You could not use the ability and have super small attack costs, but then the attacks would do nothing.
Going first, you can use the Ability to mark all of your opponent's Pokémon, although without any Energy acceleration most of your counters will be gone by your next turn, so you can't just dunk your opponent then (the first attack also has a built-in non-dunking, punishing only big basics.) Then again, you might just be adding 30 more damage to your own Pokémon if your opponent has a Deoxys of their own.
The GX attack has a lot of restrictions as to not make it an insta-win, but not so obnoxiously hard to achieve that it's unplayable. The HP restriction is there partly alluding to the fact that an alien machine would need a lot of resources, but also as to not make it super sacky that you get into a 'might as well GX attack' situation that swings the game completely into your favor.
I'm overall pretty satisfied with how the card turned out (after going through many iterations of it) but it I'm not 100% sure about all the numbers.

Kavross

Aspiring Trainer
If im totally fine with the edit penalty, can I make a completely different card than my first draft?

Nyora

A Cat
Hoopa-GX HP 180 Darkness
Basic Pokémon

[D][C] Malevolent Swipe 50
Move a Pokémon Tool card or Special Energy attached to 1 of your opponent's Pokémon to this Pokémon. You cannot move a Pokémon Tool card to this Pokémon if it already has a Pokémon Tool card attached to it. When that card is removed from this Hoopa for any reason, put this card in its owner's discard pile. If you do, put a Ringed marker on that Pokémon. Any Pokémon with a Ringed marker on it has -10 maximum HP.

[D][C][C] Mystical Emanation 50
For each Special Energy card attached to this Pokémon, put 4 damage counters on 1 of your opponent's Pokémon. (You may choose the same Pokémon more than once.) You cannot put more than 20 damage counters on your opponent's Pokémon in this way.

[D][D][D] Six Ring Seige GX
If there are exactly 6 Ringed Counters on your opponent's Pokémon, you win this game. (You can't use more than 1 GX attack in a game.)
When your Pokémon-GX is Knocked Out, your opponent takes 2 Prize cards.

Weakness: Fighting x2
Resistance: Psychic -20
Retreat: 2
Bronzong BREAK - Mystical Emanation wording for "(You may choose the same Pokémon more than once.)"
Head Ringer - Malevolent Swipe wording for "When that card is removed from this Hoopa for any reason, put this card in its owner's discard pile." plus edits to Head Ringer's original wording to fit the card.
Unown/Slowbro - Six Ring Seige GX wording for "you win this game."
Gardevior ex δ - Malevolent Swipe wording for "put a Ringed marker on that Pokémon." plus edits to fit the card.
Now for that wonderful feeling of "Ah, it's good! There's no mistakes or anything!" only to spot an error like a minute after posting >.>

SmiteKnight

Destroying half the universe one snap at a time
Gigalith ex- [F]-HP 150
Stage 2- Evolves from Boldore
Pokémon-ex rule: when Pokémon ex is knocked out, your opponent takes 2 prize cards.
[Poké-POWER]- Total Sandstorm
Once during your turn, when you play Gigalith ex from your hand to evolve 1 of your Pokémon, place 1 Sandstorm Counter on both active pokemon. At the end of each turn, place 2 damage counters on each Pokémon equal to the number of Sandstorm Counters on that Pokémon. Do not place any damage counters in this way on any Pokémon with the Total Sandstorm Poké-POWER. Sandstorm counters remain in play until the Pokémon they are attached to is knocked out.
[F][F]- Blades of Sand - 20x
This attack does 20 damage times the number of Sandstorm Counters in play. Place one Sandstorm Counter on both active Pokémon.
Weakness [G] Resistance [] Retreat cost [C][C][C]
Known for its ability to absorb solar rays into its body, it makes for a fearsome fighter.

Anndddd the edit penalty, dangit. Forgot something.

Last edited:

Nyan

She/They
Mimikyu_Gx.png
Hiya everyone!
I'm happy with how this one came out. There's a few extra things I wanted to do but I decided i'd save them for a new project that's most likely not going to be CaC related. In the meantime though, this exists! The biggest challenge with this card was trying to figure out what a counter could do that an Ability/Special Condition could already do. I think I did a pretty good job finding some unique counter traits; the ability to stack, and the ability to be removed. Once I decided the GX attack and the Ability, the biggest issue was the middle: what attack would I give this thing? I decided on Spectral Slash because it's not spammable, you can't use it right away, and it's power is dependent on your opponent. But, it's punishing, constantly annoying your opponent and not letting them get hits in while you pile up cheap damage. I designed the card to go against hyper-aggressive, fast decks, which I lowkey regret doing, because that's my favorite style of play, lol.

Quick little credit to @Nyora for coming up with the GX attack name, seriously genius lol. Also, major credits for Qesque for the super gorgeous Mimikyu art (COOOOOOOLOOOOOORS!), link to it here.

Jabberwock

#Jovimohnaeliackvid
Forum Mod
Articles Staff
Y'all have roughly 5.5 days left to get your submission in!

If you're in text-based and wish to drop out, you must do so in the next 2.5 days to avoid incurring the drop penalty for future months!

MegaAbsol10

I'm playing Big Blacephalon next quarter :)
I'm going to have to drop. Apologies, have been so busy and completely forgot. I hope to full participate next time.

that ivy guy

Aspiring Trainer
Same here. I already used up my one idea long ago on Arceus, haha. I wouldn't want to make something forced.

Jabberwock

#Jovimohnaeliackvid
Forum Mod
Articles Staff
@Jabberwock with the file uploader down, how can I submit?
If you have a deviantART account, you can upload your submission there and link to the image. Otherwise, I'd suggest making an account on Imgur, which is another image hosting site.

These are the two most common external image hosting sites used by folks on the 'Beach (as well as being the ones I use), but others do exist if for whatever reason neither dA nor Imgur works for you. :)

Nick Tornell

Haha, art go brrrr
If you have a deviantART account, you can upload your submission there and link to the image. Otherwise, I'd suggest making an account on Imgur, which is another image hosting site.

These are the two most common external image hosting sites used by folks on the 'Beach (as well as being the ones I use), but others do exist if for whatever reason neither dA nor Imgur works for you. :)
Thanks, either will work as I have accounts for both sites. I'll put it up tomorrow when I get home from school.

MarshalBry

Aspiring Trainer
I'm probably going to have to drop I'm afraid, I intended on grinding a nice card out over the last day or two but I've had some dumb life issues and really don't feel up to putting that much time into something like this. Sorry.

Gabs Kazumi

Amateur Illustrator @kazumi.draws
Good evening o/

I'm sorry for taking so long to post my entry, I've been really busy in the last weeks >.>

I made two cards for this contest, but since we're limited to one entry (and I compeltely understand it, it's complicated to evaluate all of the cards), I want my Dustox to be evaluated for the contest. However, please considerate the Beautifly is in the same collection. I wanted to estabilish some synergy between them, so the actual strategy wouldn't work properly if you used this Dustox with any other Beautifly card.

Dustox_Card_Finished.png

Beautifly_Card_Finished.png

The strategy is pretty simple between the two cards. The first thing I thought was that I wanted to make cards that were designed to work with a special synnergy between them. So, I went looking for a Pokémon duo that would make sense and Dustox & Beautifly was my choice. The markers/counters concept reminded me of the move Toxic and I kinda adapted it into them.

I think a deck with these Pokémon as the core could work wonders, even in competitions. We have Cascoon/Silcoon in Lost Thunder and they would be a perfect fit with these cards. Also, it is pretty balanced from my point of view (if the opponent's deck has a good support against Special Conditions, for example, you'll have a hard match), and the "Allergy" thing kind of makes sense for the counters to work. They aren't a "Toxic" but they become active when the Defending Pokémon is Poisoned, since they stay in play until the Pokémon afflicted by them is Knocked Out. So, I had to estabilish a condition to prevent them to be game-breaking.

The illustrations were made by me, and I used Asche's blanks and reference sheet from the DA group.

I hope you like them, thanks for the contest!

Nick Tornell

Haha, art go brrrr
Back on that...
For this one I wanted to make a card representing the Pokémon that was my crutch in my recent play through of Black 2 (after a few failures with other ideas). With it being a 160 HP Pokémon, I need to make it balanced, so I gave it the customary retreat cost of 3 for a Krookodile card, made the Intimidate counter reduce only 10 damage and Earthquake do 30 to each of your benched Pokémon as opposed to Dugtrio’s 20 back in Evolutions. I decided to hand paint this one instead of full force the Prismacolors, and I think that turned out well. Finally, I wanted my sand croc. To be sleeping in ruins resembling the ones in the games but with Unknown writings on the wall warning of the potentially dangerous, sleeping beast. (Side note: Now I know why there aren’t many Unknown shown on the same card.)
My initial idea was a Genesect and Melton Tag Team GX, but I couldn’t get the proportions right. The same problem occurred when I attempted a Melmetal GX and then a regular Melmetal card. Eventually, I decided to do this which I like much more!