Contest Autumn 2018 CaC: Counters & Markers! (Results Up!)

Jabberwock

#Jovimohnaeliackvid
Forum Mod
Articles Staff
C3PQlQf.png

Welcome to the Autumn 2018 round of the Create-A-Card! This is the first CaC under the new system –– for more information, see this thread.

This month’s theme is Counters & Markers. For this theme, you’ll need to incorporate some sort of effect into your card that involves a counter or marker that you invent. This needs to be something that you put on a card to indicate an effect that goes on for more than one complete turn cycle. To get a sense of what this means, take a look at Tyranitar-ex DF or Gardevoir-ex DF.

The ex-era was notable for having these additional markers, but it should also be noted that as always, your card can be from any era you choose. However, if not otherwise stated, we will be assuming that the card you create is for the current TCG era.

This contest has two sections, text-based and image-based fakes. For text-based fakes, all you have to do is create a card in text form and post it in here! For the image-based fake, you’ll need the help of some software to let your creations come to life. But one thing remains important between both of them: your cards must be completely original!

Registration

• To sign up you must reply to the thread below. Make sure to include whether you’re in for text or image-based fakes!
    --
  • You may register with a partner and work together on the same card. This way each member can use their different talents and combine their skills, especially if one of you is an artist and the other is a TCG player. (Feel free to post in the thread that you’re looking for a partner if you want one.)
    --
  • We have a total of 20 spaces available for text-based entries and 20 for image-based. If you’ve never done an image-based card before, now is a great time to learn! PokéBeach has many card blanks and guides available for use.

Judging

--------
Text-Based
--------
  1. Creativity/Originality
    We’re all tired of effectless attacks! Without images, part of the intrigue with text-based fakes is the creativity of Pokémon Power / Body / Ability / attack effects. Let’s see something cool and new!
    Total: 20 points
    ---
  2. Wording
    Proper wording is key in designing any fake card. Try to ensure wording is correct for the era of card you choose as card wording has changed many times over the years. Naturally, grammar and spelling are also taken into consideration.

Text-based fakers may format their entries any way they choose, but for those who are new or would like a guideline to follow, this is a simple formatting guideline you can follow:

Pokémon – Type – HP50
    Stage 1 – Evolves from Pokémon

Ability: Name
    Ability Effect

[R][C] Attack 20
    Attack Effect

Weakness: Fire (x2)
    Resistance: Psychic (-20)
    Retreat: [C] [C] [C]
    Pokédex Information

Total: 15 points
    ---
  3. Believability/Playability
    Text-based fakes rely heavily on their believability. Think of your entries as if they were real cards. Try to avoid those 400 HP monsters which do 200 damage for [R]! Proper type (unless Delta-species), Pokédex information, and ballpark HP will be taken into consideration. We will assume that your card is being created for the current TCG era unless otherwise stated, so if you are making a card for a previous era, you must mention this in your entry post.
Max Points: 50

--------
Image-Based
--------
  1. Creativity/Originality
    This should be a given. With the proper photo editing tools, let your imagination run wild! This can involve innovating new gameplay mechanics, blanks, templates, etc.
    ---
  2. Wording
    Proper wording is key in designing any fake card. Try to ensure wording is correct for the era of blank you choose as card wording has changed many times over the years. Naturally, grammar and spelling are also taken into consideration.
    ---
  3. Fonts and Placement
    Correct fonts are imperative when creating realistic fakes. Placement of text / symbols / etc. is also taken into consideration.
    Total: 10 points
    ---
  4. Believability/Playability
    Because this division of the contest is so image-heavy, the believability and playability takes a backseat here. However, it’s still worth a portion of the total points, so try to keep it in the realm of believable! Proper type (unless Delta-species), Pokédex information, and ballpark HP will be taken into consideration.
    Total: 5 points
    ---
  5. Aesthetics
    Aesthetics is all about how your card looks as a complete whole. Aspects of this category include using creative and appropriate artwork, using neat or custom blanks, and overall having an appealing card creation. Additionally, You may not use existing artwork from the TCG for your cards. If you’d like to use Ken Sugimori stock artwork, you may do so, but it must be transformative in nature.
    Total: 5 points
Max Points: 50

So that’s the point breakdown for this quarter’s Create-A-Card. @Jabberwock will be judging image-based once again, and we’re welcoming another new judge for this quarter –– @Lord o da rings!

Keen to join the judging team? You can learn how to apply here.

General Rules

• For those entering image-based, you must include the symbol here on your card (such as the set symbol) or else your entry won’t be accepted. It was designed by the lovely Nekoban Ryo who continuously creates resources for the faking world and faker himself. In addition, we do not allow any image-based entries that have been made using automatic, online card generators.
    --
  • If you edit your post you’ll have an instant deduction of 2 points from your overall score, and posting your entry again on a different post also deducts 2 points. When you submit, make sure you’re done! If you mess up the tags or have a similar coding disaster, contact myself or the month’s judges as to get it fixed. If you forget to credit someone, do so in a new post instead of editing.
    --
  • Participants who fail to submit a card by the deadline, if the particular portion is full, will automatically lose 2 points for next round (similar to losing 2 points for the current round for editing). If the portion you have signed-up for is full and if you wish to drop out, you must do so with three days remaining before the deadline to not incur the penalty. Continuing to fail to post a submission in future rounds will result in a possible ban from the contest for a couple of months. Please keep a close eye on the deadline.
    --
  • All CAC entries should not be posted elsewhere in the PokéBeach forums while the current month’s contest is ongoing. If you have a personal thread or gallery where you post your fake card creations, you must wait to post your CAC card there until the contest is complete and full judging results have been posted. This is to ensure that CAC judges can continue to give proper feedback both within the contest and in the forums.
    --
  • Artists (illustrators) are free to post in this thread, letting participants know that they are available.
    --
  • All entries should meet the forum rules. You should always credit the artist, and never use someone else’s art without their permission, else it is considered art theft.

Deadline: November 30th (Fri.) 12:00pm EST
Here’s a deadline countdown for convenience: [link]​

Anticipated Entrants

Image-Based:
  1. @Nyan
  2. @TeamAqua4Life #HEYNICK
  3. @Yog
  4. @TheR3DX
  5. @Kavross
  6. @Gabs Kazumi
  7. @KnightofDust
  8. @Blui
  9. This could be you!

Text-Based:
  1. @Blakers
  2. @Zero Umbreon
  3. @quakingpunch73
  4. @SmiteKnight
  5. @GamePhoenix
  6. @Anime Psyclone
  7. @FourteenAlmonds
  8. @VioletValkyrie
  9. @Lord Goomy
  10. @Professor_jplap
  11. @Nyora
  12. @Luplayz
  13. @The Last Shaymin
  14. @A Dragon of Destiny
  15. @pikachuuuu101
  16. @FlashRayquaza
  17. @GM DracLord
  18. @47bennyg
  19. @Vom

Bold names means I have seen your entry in this thread.

Want to help advertise the contest? Just paste the code below for the banner in your sig!
Code:
[url=http://www.pokebeach.com/forums/threads/autumn-2018-cac-counters-markers-sign-ups-open.148419/][img]https://i.imgur.com/C3PQlQf.png[/img][/url]

Credit goes to @Nekoban Ryo and @Jabberwock for the banner.

Last edited:

Anime Psyclone

Guiding Light. Will Unchanged.
Misdreavus /Basic/ HP:100 / Psychic
[P] Perish Song
When you use this Attack, place a Perish counter on every Pokémon in play. At this point, both players may swap out their Active Pokémon. Five turns from now, both Active Pokémon are Knocked Out. Take no prize cards for any Pokémon Knocked Out in this way.
[P]Grudge: 40
Weakness: Darkness 2x
Resistance: N/A
Retreat Cost: [C]
PKDX: “This Pokémon is known for causing fear in others and feeding off of it. People who like good scares keep this Pokémon around.”
I spent some time working on this card and brainstorming ideas. I threw around ideas like Embargo, Powder, etc. which all acted like they did in the games. I looked to other Perish songs in the TCG but none acted like this.

Yog

Rogue
Okay count me in for image, I have a good idea. Now just to find the time to make it.

FourteenAlmonds

Helipotile
My entry for text!

This card is from the DPt era, by the way.

Scyther GL lv.36 — [G] — HP70
Basic

SP — Gym Leader's Pokémon

Poké-power: Swarm
Each time this Pokémon attacks, you may put 1 Fury marker on your opponent's active Pokémon for each of your Scyther GL in play.

[G][G] Fury Cutter 10+
This attack does 10 more damage for each Fury marker on your opponent's active Pokémon.

Weakness: [R] (x2)
Resistance: n/a
Retreat: [C]

I was only five when the DPt era came out so I don't really know how the meta was back then. Is this overpowered? Is it underpowered? I don't know, but judging from the top 2008 World Championships decks, this would be pretty good. It does need 3 turns to set up, which is more than the winning decks, but once it gets going it really gets going. [G][G] doesn't seem too unreasonable to me, but who am I to say?

Also, I considered adding a second attack for [C][C] where you flip a coin for each Fury marker on your opponent's active and do 20 damage for each heads, but I wasn't sure if any SP Pokémon actually had 3 attacks, or an ability + 2 attacks, so I decided to err on the side of caution instead of risking it for the biscuit.

I'm looking forward to seeing everyone else's submissions! :)

VioletValkyrie

You're out of your mind.
VioletValkyrie's Entry: Darkrai-GX
Autumn 2018 Create-A-Card: Counters and Markers

Darkrai-GX - Darkness – HP180
Basic Pokémon

【 Ability: Veil of Madness 】
Whenever either player plays a Supporter card from their hand, flip a coin. If heads, your opponent's Active Pokémon is now Asleep. Put a Nightmare Counter on your opponent’s Asleep Pokémon between turns. If, at any time between turns, your opponent's Active Pokémon has 6 or more Nightmare Counters on it, that Pokémon is now Asleep.

[D][C][C] Moonlit Purge 50x
Before doing damage, you may move as many Nightmare Counters on your opponent's Active Pokémon as you like to 1 of their Benched Pokémon. This attack does 50 damage for each Nightmare Counter on your opponent’s Active Pokémon. Then, remove all Nightmare Counters on that Pokémon.

[D][C] New Moon GX
Your opponent reveals their hand. You may have them shuffle as many cards as you like from their hand into their deck, then draw that many cards. Then, you may shuffle as many cards as you like from your hand into your deck, then draw that many cards. (You can’t use more than 1 GX attack in a game.)

Weakness: [F] x2
Resistance: [P] -20
Retreat: 2

Pokémon-GX Rule: When your Pokémon-GX is Knocked Out, your opponent takes 2 Prize cards.

AU2018CaC // VioletValkyrie
➤ Thoughts and Creative Process:
This is a tangent. I just realized how I listed AU2018 CaC for August, and had to re-use it for Autumn. Damn you, new schedule.

As anyone who ever knows me (or has probably ever heard of me) knows, I like a little bit of dark things. Things like spooky, scary, stabbing bloody murders. While that's partially besides the point, it's Halloween in just under a whole month from now! <3
To celebrate the Autumn season and the only holiday that's actually exciting (Thanksgiving? What can I do in terms of fakes for that one?) I decided while I do make a lot of Darkness fakes, I'd devote this one specifically to one of the loves of my life, Darkrai. It's a GX because, well, I imagine this, if any CaC prompt, will invite the other competitors to go back to an older era to follow the format that used markers and counters in their prime. I thought it'd be nice to break away from that and have something newer to add some variety and cover familiar territory. GX fakes are so fun to make.

Darkrai is obviously known for its ability to put things to sleep. It's known as the Pokémon that locks others into eternal nightmares. My options are either to drop the sleep mechanic in order to make something unique but feel like it doesn't belong, or keep it to stay faithful and try my best to rework it.
Supporters are an integral part of the game and are represented by trainers of Pokémon or other important people. The only way a victim can be saved from Darkrai's nightmares is to have assistance from another person, by being brought a Lunar Wing by Cresselia. If other people are needed to awake the victim, wouldn't the perpetrator try to prevent the involvement of others by any means possible? If anyone would come close, it'd definitely set some nightmares off. In other words, lots of flavour to justify the ability. I had a lot of fun.

The first attack isn't too complicated but it's just a nice way to compliment the counters that's still relatively simple. The idea to move Nightmare Counters just came from wanting the card to be flexible on its own. Theoretically it can pass endless sleep across your opponent's board, though I hope adding the mechanic of coin flips helps balance that. We'll have to see.

New Moon GX was a fun attack to write because it's just an idea that came to me almost instantly. I love seeing new and interesting ways to use hand disruption, so I used Supporter cards like Wicke and N as a basis to write something fun and unique.

To close, I really enjoyed making this card. Darkrai, as popular as it is, is one of my favourite Pokémon and I wanted to test the waters and see how we could make fun little twists to the already existing sleep mechanic Darkrai is known for. After checking and devoting a lot of time to my references, I think I'm actually getting really comfortable with the Sun and Moon era's current wording patterns so I'm interested to see how well this is judged for wording. I really enjoyed this one!

See you next month season, hopefully!

➤ References:
On top of the following, my references from last month are still applicable here. This month's entry isn't the most unique compared to my last month's, and that's something I'm not too happy about.

Pyroar [Sun and Moon: Forbidden Light - 19/131]
Checking for an ability that comes into affect upon playing a certain type of card (This being Item or Supporter, changed to Supporter only for the fake) from your opponent's hand.
Hiker [Sun and Moon: Celestial Storm - 133/168]
Optimizing the previous check from the previous reference. Making sure "Either player" is not an outdated wording and is still appropriate to swap with "your opponent's hand" from Pyroar's ability.
Swalot [Sun and Moon: Celestial Storm - 53/168]
Checking wording for "If, (x)" as well as "Before doing damage, (x)".
Infernape [Sun and Moon: Ultra Prism – 23/156, Sun and Moon: Forbidden Light - 59/131]

Checking for wording on an ability adding to a special condition, such as extra damage or additional affects. Also my basis for not needing a clause on simply putting "Put a Nightmare Counter on your opponent's Asleep Pokémon." rather than needing to state if the placement is before or after flipping for sleep.
Spiritomb [X and Y: Steam Siege - 62/114]
Checking if the "as you like" is required when moving counters, as in "Move as many (x) as you like" and when it should properly be used.
Glaceon-GX [Sun and Moon: Ultra Prism - Several]
Checking for proper wording on damage done depending on the amount of counters on the target. Also the GX rules, if you want to throw those in there, I guess.
Zygarde-GX [Sun and Moon: Promos - SM122]
Technically unnecessary, used for the initial check on the wording for your opponent revealing their hand.
Peeking Red Card [Sun and Moon: Ultra Prism - Several]
Massive help on wording the GX attack, with clauses such as "Your opponent reveals their hand", and "then draw that many cards."

Go easy on me, Lorde. <3

VioletValkyrie

You're out of your mind.
➤ References:
On top of the following, my references from last month are still applicable here. This month's entry isn't the most unique compared to my last month's, and that's something I'm not too happy about.

This isn't related to my actual entry, however this is something I accidentally left in from August's entry and it doesn't really apply here. I have a large list of references for this entry and it's something I'm very happy about. You can just laugh at me for not being able to copy-paste things properly.