Contest Autumn 2018 CaC: Counters & Markers! (Results Up!)

Nick Tornell

Haha, art go brrrr
I think, because this was the most confusing and zany card I’ve ever created, I maybe took 20 minutes. If I had enough ideas, I could create 20 cards in maybe an hour, 3 minutes per card. CaC cards (checking references and proofreading and all that) usually take me 5, max 10 minutes. I tried to image fake once, but GIMP confused me and I have forever left that part alone. I think (just me) that if an image faker spent 15 minutes a day on card creation, and the month was 31 days, that would be a total of 7 hours and 45 minutes of work. I think (think, and please please please count my lack of experience) that an image faker could get a single card done in that time.
But hey, why am I speaking for a group I’m not even in?
But for text fakers, one month was just the best.
I got this one done, paint and all in the computers paint app in about eight hours so it makes sense.

GamePhoenix

Fellow Mortal
I think that the best way (at least for me) would be to make one month for sign-ups, and one month for submissions. It took me about 30 minutes to make my submission (granted I didn't really word check) so a month would be good at least for me.

Anime Psyclone

System Failure
I think, because this was the most confusing and zany card I’ve ever created, I maybe took 20 minutes. If I had enough ideas, I could create 20 cards in maybe an hour, 3 minutes per card. CaC cards (checking references and proofreading and all that) usually take me 5, max 10 minutes. I tried to image fake once, but GIMP confused me and I have forever left that part alone. I think (just me) that if an image faker spent 15 minutes a day on card creation, and the month was 31 days, that would be a total of 7 hours and 45 minutes of work. I think (think, and please please please count my lack of experience) that an image faker could get a single card done in that time.
But hey, why am I speaking for a group I’m not even in?
But for text fakers, one month was just the best.
I agree, personally. It takes me no more then 10 minutes to write a card, only more if the attacks have to be complex. For some artists that do really detailed work, it takes them around 15-30 days, give or take. Normally card making image wise is simple if you know how to do it.

Jabberwock

#Jovimohnaeliackvid
Forum Mod
Articles Staff
Thanks for your input, y'all. In light of it, we'll be reverting to a one-month period for entries for the next contest, followed by an "off month" for our judges to do their work. The next round will be up soon! :)

Gabs Kazumi

Amateur Illustrator @kazumi.draws
I'm late, sorry hahah

I don't know what happened with the borders of the card >.>

Thanks for judging! The 15/15 in Creativity specially made my day AAAAAAAA

And I'll pay more attention in the wording errors next time! Actually, I would like to know where can I get these infos/references. If I don't remember a card with a similar effect to the one I'm doing, I easily get lost in the wording <.<

Jabberwock

#Jovimohnaeliackvid
Forum Mod
Articles Staff
And I'll pay more attention in the wording errors next time! Actually, I would like to know where can I get these infos/references. If I don't remember a card with a similar effect to the one I'm doing, I easily get lost in the wording <.<
Many of us use pkmncards.com to check wording references. They have a nifty search function that lets you look at all the cards printed with any given text, so you can check to see if your wording has been done before. The search syntax is +text:"flip a coin", with "flip a coin" being replaced by whatever you please.

Pokémon.com may also have a search function like that, though it's been years since I've checked, so idk. :/

Lord Goomy

Got Goomies?
Many of us use pkmncards.com to check wording references. They have a nifty search function that lets you look at all the cards printed with any given text, so you can check to see if your wording has been done before. The search syntax is +text:"flip a coin", with "flip a coin" being replaced by whatever you please.

Pokémon.com may also have a search function like that, though it's been years since I've checked, so idk. :/
They DO have a function like that, but based on how it’s performed earlier, pkmncards.com is probably way better.

GamePhoenix

Fellow Mortal

Wow, that's so helpful, up until this point I've just been looking through my collection to try and find wordings! :D

FourteenAlmonds

Helipotile
This is a good point. I'd be interested to hear from our image fakers whether the extra time for submitting actually helped, or whether you just procrastinated for the first month. I noticed a definite uptick in quality among your submissions, but I suppose that could've been coincidence. :p

I'd be open to changing it to a bimonthly system, and agree that it'd be a lot better for the text-based faker base. I do want to hear further input from more members of the community (text and image!), though, so in that regard I'll hold off posting a new contest until January 4. It's also just very sudden to make a change to the contest's format the day before posting it, so I want to make sure everybody's informed and to get their thoughts on it.

To you, reading this thread:

Was two months too much time for submitting, or did you effectively make use of the extra time? Would you prefer cutting the submission time back down to one month for the next contest?

As a Text-based faker, I do like the one-month schedule because it doesn't really take me that long to make a card. This one probably took one to two hours total (referencing, wording etc.) which was a lot more than usual, but well rewarded. Over time, as I try to make better and better submissions, I expect I may end up taking a bit longer, but I'll never realistically end up needing two months.

A longer period does let me build up a bit of a stockpile of rejected ideas that I might post to my own TCG fakes thread (if I decide to make one), but the end one month is still my preferred time frame.