'GX Ultra Shiny' Pack Featuring Shiny Pokemon, Worldwide Card Legality After All?!

TheRealBro..

I like the design of a lot of these Prism cards. Simple and stylish, reminding me of holo's from past times, although I do not necessarily like the big figure in the middle.

Nyora

A Cat
I’m not used to baby Pokémon being entirely different species.... this is weird :x

It looks good though, def a good tech in ray

George

Plays 4 Ultra Ball in Every Deck
You know, I'm really happy that we are seeing some of our favorite Pokémon having some competitive chances!

Duo

RIP Nessa 2023
Never knew Rayquaza could learn transform to become a Shaymin.

No questions asked inclusion in every Ray GX deck.

Swampert Full Art

#GROOKEYGANG
Is GX Ultra Shiny the end of Prism Stars? Dark Order has two, and if it turns out GX Ultra Shiny has two, that means there are none in Tag Bolt!

DuoForce

Semi-Ace Trainer
What makes this worthy of being a Prism Star? Doesn't look special to me, especially considering the fact that it doesn't count special energy

ShaunTheBoufflant

Like No One Ever Was
I like how everyone's obsessed with how it's a one prizer Ray that they've totally overlooked it's ABSOLUTELY AMAZING Other trait.
It's free retreat. Like legit there isn't a free retreater in any good day decks. An attacker like this with free retreat is absurd and it's a good thing it's only a one of

FourteenAlmonds

Helipotile
What makes this worthy of being a Prism Star? Doesn't look special to me, especially considering the fact that it doesn't count special energy
It's basically a Rayquaza-GX that gives up one prize. That is the reason. Nothing more*, nothing less.

If you could have 4 of this in a deck, there would be no hope for the meta.

-----

*Actually, it's even better, in that it has free retreat and can attack for 2 energy instead of 3. BUSTED card.

DuoForce

Semi-Ace Trainer
It's basically a Rayquaza-GX that gives up one prize. That is the reason. Nothing more*, nothing less.

If you could have 4 of this in a deck, there would be no hope for the meta.

-----

*Actually, it's even better, in that it has free retreat and can attack for 2 energy instead of 3. BUSTED card.
Are you implying the Meta isn't already busted with Tapu Lele's being played in every deck?

Alex Sableye

Official Pokemon Connoisseur of the Unova Region
Are you implying the Meta isn't already busted with Tapu Lele's being played in every deck?
That's exactly why it isn't busted, or at least unfairly so. Every deck can play it, meaning no player has an unfair advantage from it.

although if you ask me Lele GX shoulda been a prism star.

FourteenAlmonds

Helipotile
Yeah, I am. At least Lele is used in a variety of decks, like Buzzwole, Malamar, Zoroark, Metagross, etc. etc. etc. Some decks don't even use it at all — Shrine of Punishment decks spring to mind.

I'm also saying that if Shaymin wasn't limited to a one-of, the meta would be Shaymin and (almost) nothing else. It would be nigh unbeatable. Again, it is a much better Rayquaza-GX, and we already know how good that is. The only* reason Rayquaza-GX doesn't already dominate is because it gives up 2 prizes and can be easily countered by single-prize attackers that win the prize game.

Vikavolt (although sometimes clunky) gives Rayquaza-GX a lot of the support it needs to get moving quickly and getting big KOs. However, the 2-prize main attacker really hinders it, and Vikavolt doesn't have the right single prize partner right now. Dhelmise saw some play, and it's still doing well in the occasional tournament, but Shaymin is so much better. Giving Vikavolt that tool would be severely unbalanced and would see the excellent variety of top competitive decks that we currently have all but dissapear. Sure, some decks could survive, but it would be nowhere near what we have today.

A large number of viable decks is a sign of a healthy metagame, and Shaymin would cause that metagame to be reduced to only a small handful of cards and stagnate overall until it finally rotates out of Standard. But, until that happens, TPCI would be forced to bring out new, stronger cards to restore a balance of power. The power creep would be insane and would utterly destroy Expanded**, so that is likely why TPCI decided to keep Shaymin to a one-of as a Prism Star.

TL;DR Lele is mostly balanced, Shaymin would be too overpowered for either format, and I still don't know what to call Vikavolt/Shaymin***.

-----
Wow, that took a while to write. Note that I am by no means an expert, but I do like to form opinions and make predictions.

Let me know what you think!
-----

*There are other things that hold it back, but this is probably the most significant, and imo it is still a beast in the current format.
**Archie's Shaymin could be a thing, but most Expanded decks would be instantly unviable.
***ShayVolt? VikaShay? VikaMin? Vitamin!

birdboy2000

Bird Keeper
When I saw the headline I was thinking we'd get Set Up or something like it, with how prominent *that* Skymin card's been...

This one's less exciting, did VikaRay really need the extra support? (though maybe it will by the time the card drops, Lost Thunder should shake things up a bit and all, who knows)

cardgjammer

Aspiring Trainer
Is GX Ultra Shiny the end of Prism Stars? Dark Order has two, and if it turns out GX Ultra Shiny has two, that means there are none in Tag Bolt!

Maybe Tag Bolt(Team Up! internationally) will get no prism stars in Jap, but since the prism stars came from GX Ultra Shiny, since the cards are new cards, in English, we'll get them in Team Up!, and that will be all the Prim Stars we'll ever get...

Chimecho3000

Aspiring Trainer
They've thrown in Seviper, Lucario and Celesteela in this set but don't even give them the alternate arts that we got as prerelease promos. Wonder if Japan will ever get them, along with the many others. They still don't even have Raikou GX, Tornadus GX and Thudurus GX yet.

Last edited: