'Blue Impact' / 'Red Flash' Japan's XY8 Sets, Next Set Block Titled 'XY: BREAK!'

SilverSilent

Dem Eeveelutions
I think Poke Tactics was referencing the Full Metal Dialga that was, indeed, a Secret Card released in roughly 1/6 Hyper Metal Chain Decks in Japan. To date, it's the only time there's been an SR given out in some Japanese theme decks. It certainly could happen again, but since it's a "secret" there's no way to know until after the deck comes out later this month.

I don't really think it's likely to happen, but it's not impossible either.

I would love to see that happen. I have the Japanese Metal Dialga and I would love to get the Palkia one (I got mine for $15 from Troll and Toad because they didn't know what they had honestly and could of sold it for a lot more.)

Back to Lapras, it may see play as a tech? I don't know 80 damage for three energy seems a bit to much in my opinion.

Robin Aisaga

Ginger Lillie > Regular Lillie
I was hoping for an ability to make use of the break mechanic, an ability that would get Golduck Break in play faster would be nice. Now It's just a card you need in order to Break Evolve with out any other purpose. Though It's first attack could come in handy.

SilverSilent

Dem Eeveelutions
I was hoping for an ability to make use of the break mechanic, an ability that would get Golduck Break in play faster would be nice. Now It's just a card you need in order to Break Evolve with out any other purpose. Though It's first attack could come in handy.

I really enjoy the idea of the break mechanic, but as of right now it feels clunky and very unrewarding. If they make cards concerning break evolutions then maybe you'll see it being played and rivaling major EX decks. Until then, it's just another card that a pain to try and get out there to make work. As you said, I feel like abilities would be nice to add in order make break evolutions more rewarding.

Pinecone

A Pinecone on the Beach
In expanded, Amnesia Golduck BCR is a better play. It can attack in variants not running water, can be searched with level ball, and gives Golduck Break free retreat. The only issue would be if a lightning weakness makes it more vulnerable than the grass weakness.

Otaku

The wise fool?
I didn't realize how much I didn't like the BREAK cards until I just went off on them one day while talking to a friend. Both from a competitive standpoint and from a collector's standpoint, I don't care for them; they're pointless. (It's possible they'll become better in the future, but as of right now, there are no redeeming qualities.) Incoming rant:

I started playing the TCG at the end of the DPPt era, when the Arceus set had just come out, and Lv.X's were awesome! In my opinion, when comparing BREAK's to Lv.X's, I think BREAK's are just a little bit better, mechanic-wise, since your Pokemon doesn't have to be the Active Pokemon in order to BREAK evolve. But when comparing the two in the formats they were in, Lv.X's worked because they were the big, strong cards in that format. BREAK's are in a format with big Basic EX's, making them obsolete. Why on earth would I want to spend a minimum of three turns setting up a BREAK Pokemon that is not as good or is on par with a sub-par EX? There's no way Pokemon doesn't know that the general consensus of Stage 2's is that they're not very viable when compared to EX's. (Which is a shame since there are many Stage 2's with either strong or interesting attacks or Abilities--or both!) If they really wanted to BREAK evolution, I think they should have made some mechanic to speed up evolution while possibly also giving an increase in HP or damage or possibly both, just to be on par with EX's. (But who knows. Maybe that would spiral out of control and create even more of a power creep.)

And from a collector's standpoint, this might just be me, but it's frustrating to see even MORE ultra rares in sets. BREAKthrough is going to have 8 EX's + 10 FA's + 2 secret rare FA's, which is 20 ultra rares; that's plenty. Oh, but wait. NOW there's 6 BREAK cards! Let's bump the ultra rare count up to 26! What's the typical ultra rare count for a booster box again? 4 to 8? Sure feels good knowing that after spending around $100, I'll just be putting a dent in completing this set. And on top of that, the fact that the BREAK cards are being panned as not playable, that will probably mean they'll be worth less. (Thundurus EX from Roaring Skies, for example? $3.) So not only is the number of ultra rares increasing, but so are the chances of getting an ultra rare that's not playable. I will say, though, if they treat the BREAK cards like they did with Prime cards (making them take place of the reverse instead of the rare in a pack and also having 4 to 6 of them in a booster box on top of still having 4 to 6 other ultra rares), I would be completely fine with them. But I don't see that happening. They'll probably just take the place of the rare, like any other ultra rare.

As for aesthetics, I get why they made them sideways. It's just so you can still see the previous card's attacks, Abilities, Weakness, Resistance, and Retreat Cost. It looks kind of silly, but it's fine. As for the holo effect, I've always found that sort of design/pattern cheap-looking. It's like something you'd find on a sticker from one of those sticker vending machines. (Maybe it'll look better in person, but I don't think I'll be sold on it.) And the golden CG Pokemon themselves... I've never found CG appealing when compared to more traditional artwork. With traditional artwork, you have so many visually appealing options. The artist's style, the colors used, the detail--there's so much that can make a card's artwork visually pleasing! With CG, it's just that Pokemon. In 3D. With a 3D background. It all mostly looks the same, aside from maybe the effects added. I can absolutely appreciate the effort put into 3D models! It's just not my cup of tea. And making the Pokemon golden is pointless, in my opinion. Is it just to try to make them look more important than they really are?

TL;DR: Competitively, BREAK's are pointless when EX's also exist. They're increasing the amount of ultra rares in a set while also increasing the likeliness of pulling an ultra rare that isn't playable and is, therefore, basically almost worthless. And the holo pattern looks cheap and CG isn't visually appealing to me; golden Pokemon or not.

As a player, I assumed BREAKs were targeting collectors more to begin with but it sounds like some of the collectors are starting to come to the point where players like me are... wondering what the-powers-that-be are thinking.

I do think there is an even bigger problem being missed. I know there are players that swear this is a great, balanced format. I'm not one of them, because I want balance card pool wide and not just on small fraction of "competitive" cards and it includes balancing out the Stages, the Types and the styles of game play. A TCG like Pokémon that wants to be a friendly, all ages game should not turn itself into "dueling solitaire" where any competitive deck is "I set up first/second turn and begin steam rolling you with raw offense, so even though you can do things, they are all pointless unless I make a serious misplay or have awful luck while you are having good luck and/or making brilliant plays." or other alternative we see a lot, "I set-up first/second turn and prevent your set-up, slowly winning the game while you can do nothing of consequence unless I make a serious misplay or have awful luck while you are having good luck and/or making brilliant plays."

It may not have been for a long time, but I remember when I could still have fun while losing.