'Blue Impact' / 'Red Flash' Japan's XY8 Sets, Next Set Block Titled 'XY: BREAK!'

I don't think they look bad, but that fact they took the spot of exs kind of makes me dislike them.

Also will they have ridges and texture or not? I think I'd just consider them ace specs in that sense.

Lvl X cards were some of the best cards in the format that came in the GE era. And Great Encounters to HGSS block was considered one of the best blocks by most players. People don't understand them but when more come out and people make brews out of the meta people will see the worth in them. I am excited and this makes me want to get back into the TCG.

All the Level Up cards you used for examples level up from Basic Pokémon; they behaved as pseudo-Stage 1 Pokémon and not pseudo-Stage 2 or 3.

Half tempted to quote several others because of points they made (some I agree with, some I don't), but let me answer the opening questions made by @Water Pokémon Master in the update:

The TL;DR version is that BREAK Evolutions are another example of recycling a gimmick to distract from the failures of the company to fix what is broken and not touch what isn't. Yes I want as many different Pokémon viable for competitive play as possible regardless of Type or Stage; that goes with enjoying the product (everyone likes something different) and improving overall value (because the less "bad" cards, the better quality the product). The issue isn't power though it is pacing; the game is going way too fast anymore and the only reason it isn't the fastest it has ever been is because of the first turn rule against attacking and that ironically hurts another good way of pacing the game: the "set-up" attack. Make Evolving Pokémon worthwhile and stop making Basics, Evolutions etc. that "go off" first or second turn, preventing anything else from having time to set-up.

I generally like to try to make bad cards work, but other than Golduck, I don't see how with the break cards so far. Maybe if break pokemon did 40 more damage when using the previous evolution's attacks or something...

I think Chesnaught BREAK has potential, though simply because of Broken Vine Sp... I MEAN Forest of Giant Plants. And even then I would only play 2 at most of the BREAK card. Normal Chesnaught is just good enough to be playable with Bats and Ariados to get some extra damage.

Zoroark BREAK is pretty nice, too. Mainly as a tech though. However it could be a pretty nice line in a Vileplume deck. Mind Jack AND Foul Play is a sweet combo with a Rush In-esque Ability.

Good news! The Pokemon Laboratory has the attention span of a five year old, so two or three more sets of the BREAK mechanic and then we'll be on to the next "great idea."

I just don't care enough anymore to write a Pokemon Laboratory Theatre entry for this latest batch of news. Sorry folks.

They made a mistake in hyping the break mechanic up as much as they did. If they are properly testing their cards before revealing them, they would have known the mechanic is underwhelming, so why the hype only to set up disappointment? They must have thought being gold was a sure sale with collectors, but their opinions on these cards have been mixed at best.

Last edited:
"Unfortunately, BREAK Pokemon probably won’t see much play since they’re essentially Stage 2 and Stage 3 cards. And not very good cards in the first place."

do you even see what your saying it is totally wrong

raichu gives extra hp and a backup attack to the xy raichu
noivern gets the ability of the xy noivern and has a better attack making it able to take more damage while dodging and attacking

golduck is a more powerful fairy box
zoruark can appear out of nowhere and for 1 energy crush a pokemon with its own attack which wrecks any high damage attackers like dragon rayquaza or colorless if you have a good bench size also primal groudon mewtwo X and mega tyranitar

do you even see what your saying it is totally wrong

raichu gives extra hp and a backup attack to the xy raichu
noivern gets the ability of the xy noivern and has a better attack making it able to take more damage while dodging and attacking

golduck is a more powerful fairy box
zoruark can appear out of nowhere and for 1 energy crush a pokemon with its own attack which wrecks any high damage attackers like dragon rayquaza or colorless if you have a good bench size also primal groudon mewtwo X and mega tyranitar

And while you're trying to BREAK evolve them, everyone else will just be OHKOing the base forms with EXs.

I didn't realize how much I didn't like the BREAK cards until I just went off on them one day while talking to a friend. Both from a competitive standpoint and from a collector's standpoint, I don't care for them; they're pointless. (It's possible they'll become better in the future, but as of right now, there are no redeeming qualities.) Incoming rant:

I started playing the TCG at the end of the DPPt era, when the Arceus set had just come out, and Lv.X's were awesome! In my opinion, when comparing BREAK's to Lv.X's, I think BREAK's are just a little bit better, mechanic-wise, since your Pokemon doesn't have to be the Active Pokemon in order to BREAK evolve. But when comparing the two in the formats they were in, Lv.X's worked because they were the big, strong cards in that format. BREAK's are in a format with big Basic EX's, making them obsolete. Why on earth would I want to spend a minimum of three turns setting up a BREAK Pokemon that is not as good or is on par with a sub-par EX? There's no way Pokemon doesn't know that the general consensus of Stage 2's is that they're not very viable when compared to EX's. (Which is a shame since there are many Stage 2's with either strong or interesting attacks or Abilities--or both!) If they really wanted to BREAK evolution, I think they should have made some mechanic to speed up evolution while possibly also giving an increase in HP or damage or possibly both, just to be on par with EX's. (But who knows. Maybe that would spiral out of control and create even more of a power creep.)

And from a collector's standpoint, this might just be me, but it's frustrating to see even MORE ultra rares in sets. BREAKthrough is going to have 8 EX's + 10 FA's + 2 secret rare FA's, which is 20 ultra rares; that's plenty. Oh, but wait. NOW there's 6 BREAK cards! Let's bump the ultra rare count up to 26! What's the typical ultra rare count for a booster box again? 4 to 8? Sure feels good knowing that after spending around $100, I'll just be putting a dent in completing this set. And on top of that, the fact that the BREAK cards are being panned as not playable, that will probably mean they'll be worth less. (Thundurus EX from Roaring Skies, for example? $3.) So not only is the number of ultra rares increasing, but so are the chances of getting an ultra rare that's not playable. I will say, though, if they treat the BREAK cards like they did with Prime cards (making them take place of the reverse instead of the rare in a pack and also having 4 to 6 of them in a booster box on top of still having 4 to 6 other ultra rares), I would be completely fine with them. But I don't see that happening. They'll probably just take the place of the rare, like any other ultra rare.

As for aesthetics, I get why they made them sideways. It's just so you can still see the previous card's attacks, Abilities, Weakness, Resistance, and Retreat Cost. It looks kind of silly, but it's fine. As for the holo effect, I've always found that sort of design/pattern cheap-looking. It's like something you'd find on a sticker from one of those sticker vending machines. (Maybe it'll look better in person, but I don't think I'll be sold on it.) And the golden CG Pokemon themselves... I've never found CG appealing when compared to more traditional artwork. With traditional artwork, you have so many visually appealing options. The artist's style, the colors used, the detail--there's so much that can make a card's artwork visually pleasing! With CG, it's just that Pokemon. In 3D. With a 3D background. It all mostly looks the same, aside from maybe the effects added. I can absolutely appreciate the effort put into 3D models! It's just not my cup of tea. And making the Pokemon golden is pointless, in my opinion. Is it just to try to make them look more important than they really are?

TL;DR: Competitively, BREAK's are pointless when EX's also exist. They're increasing the amount of ultra rares in a set while also increasing the likeliness of pulling an ultra rare that isn't playable and is, therefore, basically almost worthless. And the holo pattern looks cheap and CG isn't visually appealing to me; golden Pokemon or not.

As a collector I don't think I ever been so disappointed in a set before! I will definitely not buy a box or any lose packs from this set, maybe some promo box with a nice promo at best =/ The BREAK cards are ugly and boring and I hate that they took the non-mega EXes places. Also really disappointed in Houndoom Full art, on of my favorite pokémon and they managed to make it look ugly! :(

In Break Through,we have 6 FA Mewtwos,including secret rares and Megas.So collectors and players,good luck for pulling,and guys also help me on our way of translating Pokemon's attacks because for me some of these attack names today were very common to the previous cards.

''Oh there's a card I don't like, this new set is awful'' -_-

Anyway this decision must be a real bummer for people that were planning to use Golduck Break... Now break don't particularly impress me either. But I still think Noivern Break can be pretty good.

No Booster Box for me but I'm going to buy some singles for sure.

it might be but in the japan set it doesn't look like it but remember we got full art steven in our AOR and nobody was expecting that but I guess anything could happen.
Even me,I didn't expected on that but I predicted it. I'm sure that Max Potion will be in XY8,along with the Muscle Band that I hope it will be reprinted,and the other possible reprinted Trainer Cards.

Even me,I didn't expect on that but I predicted it. I'm sure that Max Potion will be in XY8,along with the Muscle Band that I hope it will be reprinted,and the other possible reprinted Trainer Cards.

I don't think Muscle Band will be reprint because of giovanni plans but hey what ever the future holds. I'm with you as well though I would love to see old cards get reprints.

Is Max Potion still being reprinted in this set?

Does not look like it...

It's possible it will come stateside in XY9, since it will come in the Golduck BREAK + Palkia-EX combo deck(in Japan) in October...

Until then, fairy decks will likely have to rely on Whimsicott(AOR 56) for a psuedo-Max Potion until XY9 arrives Stateside in February '16... :(

Back