XY Your Shiny Hunts

Mitja

veteran smartass
An interesting note about my Raikou results.

I was resetting 120 Raikous per hour when completely focused, and 50 Raikous per hour when being lame and doing something else on the side.
With the chance for a shiny with the charm being 1/1365, 17 shinies would take somewhere around 17*1365=23205 resets (my speculation was that I was nearing 30k, so fair enough).
23205 theoretical resets divided by 300 hours = ~77 Raikous per hour.

So as you can see, once you get to such high numbers, they pretty much start looking "average", whereas looking at a hunt for a single shiny will be all over the place, sometimes very early sometimes taking much longer than average etc.

PhantomHaze

Aspiring Trainer
I've been Madusa breeding for a shiny competitive Horsea for some time and am around 300 eggs with the shiny charm
With that I decided to try to get some DexNav shinies and got a shiny Duskull in 29 encounters
On another DexNav hunt for Nuzleaf and am at 350 plus encounter without a shiny

steffenka

Miss Vaanjie
I've managed to get a shiny Mankey (300+) and a shiny Munna (~150) through DexNaving, also managed to get another shiny Swablu and Voltorb through Horde Training. Currently Masuda breeding for a shiny Bonsly (~360) and Fishing for a shiny Luvdisc and/or Corsola

Edit: Got a shiny Bonsly after 440 eggs :D

Last edited:

StarlightSearcher

The Blonde Brainiac
Forum Mod
Advanced Member
Over the last 24 hours I nabbed two shinies in ORAS; last night a Zubat in Meteor Falls and earlier today a shiny Zigzagoon in Petalburg Woods.

Search for my first of two Purple Wurmples on hold until my 3DS battery recharges.

(I want to try and get the entire shiny Wurmple family in my Pokemon ending with a shiny Beautifly and shiny Dustox.)

I wish I posted the next day because I had the luckiest shiny hunt I ever had. 4 shinies in the span of 24 hours; 2 of them coming within 30 minutes of each other.

- I started that day (July 17th) deciding to hunt for a shiny Voltorb in New Mauville. Didn't take a long time but I found a beaut of a Blue Voltorb that I nicknamed "Blue Deuce" who evolved into an Electrode.
- Decided to then go to the Safari Zone to hunt for a shiny Doduo. However, I stumbled upon a shiny Oddish; female, nicknamed "Cauliflower" who's a beautiful shiny Vileplume. This is the shiny I found 30 minutes after the shiny Voltorb.
- Faith then rewarded me with not one, but two shiny Doduo. Both were Male, one nicknamed "Green Bean" that is now a Dodrio and the other was nicknamed "String Bean" that I traded to a friend.

My shiny hunt is on hold right now until I decide to what Pokemon I should hunt for next.

Galaxy Hunter

Shiny Mega Quest!
I was Masuda breeding for a shiny, HA Eevee to become a competitive Espeon. After 3 or 4 boxes, I hatched a naturally flawless, HA female shiny Eevee! And then just a few eggs later, another HA shiny, also female! (missing speed IV) I think I used up all of my luck on that though, since my competitive shiny Glaceon hunt that followed took over 2000 eggs for a HA shiny to hatch.

Omega Soul

I'm feeling dizzy
Just got my first hunted shiny - a spinda. Was horde hunting and got him very early, nine hordes I think. Named him ears due to the spots on both ears. I have a thing for shiny spinda since it's near impossible for yours not to be unique.

Missingno. Master

Aspiring Trainer
I'm currently soft-resetting for a Shiny Pidgey in X. To that end, I don't suppose anyone would happen to know whether said Pidgey is Shiny-locked or not? For those of you wondering, it's the forced Pidgey encounter on Route 2. I only ask because they really seemed to enjoy Shiny-locking things in this game. Hell, they Shiny-locked the Route 7 Snorlax! So yeah, I've been at this a few days now, and I'd really appreciate some sort of confirmation that this isn't just a wild Zangoose chase.

EDIT: Before anyone says anything, yes, I know there are much more practical ways to go for a Shiny Pidgey, but I'm just going for something unique here. I mean, who else could say they've SR'd a Shiny Pidgey, huh? That's gotta be a new one.

Michael J. Caboose

Aspiring Trainer
Currently hunting all the ORAS legends that don't have a lock...though I may not go after Entei, Raikou, Suicune, Giratina, Dialga and Palkia though since I have them from their previous gen events. I currently have Reshiram, Zekrom, Latios, Latias and Lugia, and I'm in the process of SRing Cresselia to get her out of the way because of the Mirage Spot BS. Been like 4 days though (longest hunt yet) and nothing...

Missingno. Master

Aspiring Trainer
Started yesterday trying to get koffing with hordes in firey path. No luck so far :p
Good luck! :) Weezing is my favorite Pokémon, so it's always great for me to see people trying to get a Shiny one.

No luck on Pidgey yet, though I am hoping to get it today- birthday Shinies are the best.

Omega Soul

I'm feeling dizzy
Good luck! :) Weezing is my favorite Pokémon, so it's always great for me to see people trying to get a Shiny one.

No luck on Pidgey yet, though I am hoping to get it today- birthday Shinies are the best.

I love shiny koff/weezing, the smoke turns purple, which along with being my second favourite colour, goes well with the light blue.

Michael J. Caboose

Aspiring Trainer
Currently hunting all the ORAS legends that don't have a lock...though I may not go after Entei, Raikou, Suicune, Giratina, Dialga and Palkia though since I have them from their previous gen events. I currently have Reshiram, Zekrom, Latios, Latias and Lugia, and I'm in the process of SRing Cresselia to get her out of the way because of the Mirage Spot BS. Been like 4 days though (longest hunt yet) and nothing...
Finally caught my shiny moon duck. Used Hold Back from my shiny Mega Metagross and took her down to half health. Took 5 (regular) Pokeballs to catch her. Kinda surprised it was so low. I was really only trying to scout her moves because I didn't want her to kill herself and I wasn't near the computer to check what she had. Overall, painless capture, but the hunt was annoying.

Now, I've moved on to Cobalion, though I feel like I should have went for Ho-Oh...

StarlightSearcher

The Blonde Brainiac
Forum Mod
Advanced Member
Chain fished for a shiny Corphish in Petalburg City and got one on the 50th encounter. It started out as a Chain Fishing attempt, but after my Suction Cups Pokemon (Malamar) fainted, I just kept fishing in the same spot and got a shiny Corphish about 20 encounters later.

Does that still count as a "Chain Fishing Shiny" or no?

Michael J. Caboose

Aspiring Trainer
Switched from Cobalion to Ho-Oh after about 50 encounters last night. Glad I did. Got my shiny rainbow turkey in about 2 hours, once again in a regular Pokeball (thanks to the event Smeargle I've been using since release as a capture assistant most of the time). Decided to save the duo/trios/groups/whatever I don't have any members of for later, and have moved on to trying to obtain Kyurem. So, not including Mythical/Event Legends, this is what I have left:

Heatran
Phione
Uxie, Mesprit, Azelf
Cobalion, Terrakion, Virizion
Tornadus, Thundurus, Landorus
Regirock, Registeel, Regice, Regigigas

Legends I have the events of, but may still do them for my OT
Raikou, Entei, Suicune
Dialga, Palkia, Giratina

Legends I'll get int the future when they aren't shiny locked
Articuno, Zapdos, Moltres, Mewtwo, Groudon, Kyogre

Galaxy Hunter

Shiny Mega Quest!
Chain fished for a shiny Corphish in Petalburg City and got one on the 50th encounter. It started out as a Chain Fishing attempt, but after my Suction Cups Pokemon (Malamar) fainted, I just kept fishing in the same spot and got a shiny Corphish about 20 encounters later.

Does that still count as a "Chain Fishing Shiny" or no?

Yes, as long as you have the Suction Cups Pokemon at the front of your party the ability will be in effect even if its fainted. This also holds true for Synchronizers, Magnet Pullers, Static users, and other abilities with secondary effects in the overworld.

StarlightSearcher

The Blonde Brainiac
Forum Mod
Advanced Member
Yes, as long as you have the Suction Cups Pokemon at the front of your party the ability will be in effect even if its fainted. This also holds true for Synchronizers, Magnet Pullers, Static users, and other abilities with secondary effects in the overworld.

I was going to heal and move but decided to keep Malamar fainted in the first spot and just used the Pokemon in the second spot; my Vaporeon to be the one sent out.

So, okay; it was a Chain Fishing shiny. Thanks for the clarification.

steffenka

Miss Vaanjie
Here's a rundown of the latest shinies I've gotten recently :3

Shiny Audino after ~150 chain on DexNav
Shiny Vulpix after ~90 chain on DexNav
Shiny Bronzor after ~30 chain on DexNav
Shiny Wurmple after ~150 chain on DexNav
Shiny Happiny after 200+ chain on DexNav
Shiny Cottonee after 250+ chain on DexNav while searching for Silcoon :/
Shiny Drilbur after 122 eggs :D

CF1994

Aspiring Trainer
My friend gave me a shiny Houndoom that has 6 IVs and max Sp. Atk and Speed. I could not be any luckier than that for having another fairly devoted Pokémon fan as a friend in my literal life outside of the web. I gave him a Snivy with Contrary + Hidden Power Fire.

I also obtained a shiny Riolu during my ORAS Wonder Trading saga, also possessing 6IVs and a few Egg Moves. It's useful for not only breeding mons in the Field and Human-Like, but also competitively for my team at will.