Discussion Standard Meta Tier List

Couple things.

2 Grass and a Colourless, you'd have to play Max Elixer to power him up quickly.

You will never have four sunny day Lurantis on bench.

I do think Sunny Day has potiential, just not with Tapu-Bulu. Golisopod would be a better pairing. Maybe even Vespiqueen.

I think it has a ton of potential in Serperior. No one will see that one coming LOL!

I think it has a ton of potential in Serperior. No one will see that one coming LOL!

As long as they can get into play quickly, that seems like a good idea. 140 base damage +30 for choice band is 170 which is enough to KO most EX. One Sunny Day gets you a OHKO on big basics like Turtonator-GX, and two Sunny Days" let you take down a stage-1 GX. This isn't counting the damage of Coil, so you get a 2HKO on anything.

As long as they can get into play quickly, that seems like a good idea. 140 base damage +30 for choice band is 170 which is enough to KO most EX. One Sunny Day gets you a OHKO on big basics like Turtonator-GX, and two Sunny Days" let you take down a stage-1 GX. This isn't counting the damage of Coil, so you get a 2HKO on anything.

Yeah. I haven't built it yet because I don't have the promos. I think it could be sneaky good. Especially if you happen to hit any of the paralysis flips. That it attacks for 1 energy and can evolve T1 is gravy!

Disagree with Ninetales GUR being in tier 3.

I've played close to 300 games on PTCGO since GUR came out and it's by far my most consistent deck.

In my experience, the only 3 tough matchups for Ninetales are
- Rainbow Force Xerneas 40/60
- Vespiqueen 35/65
- Metal Decks, 30/70 against Sogaleo/Metagross, 20/80 against Scizor

As for the MetaGame,
- It can outspeed turbo dark decks with aqua patch and 1HKO them with choice band. 65/35
- Without Sudowoodo and rescue Stretcher this will be a 20/80. But I run one copy of each in my deck as it's 60/40 so far.
- The deck is tanky and isn't over reliant on items so it's not terrible against Plumes Variants. Plus RoughSeas can mitigate the attack from FeatherArrows. 55/45 against DeciPlumes and 50/50 against MantisPlumes.
- At 210hp, Waterbox/Lapras will need Kukui+Choice Band to 1HKO it but it can 1HKO lapras with just a choice band. 70/30
- Volcanions are faster but Ninetales has the type advantage plus it isn't reliant on abilities so you can hex them. 60/40
- MMewtwo and MGards hits about as hard but is less consistent since they require spirit links. 65/35
- Slyveon GX is terrible against anything that is versatile and can hit hard. 80/20
- Lastly, against Garbs variants, which is like 50% of the decks on PTCGO now. Vulpix's Beacon attack can search out pokemons with no energies and it's just an awesome attack to avoid using items/dealing with dead hands(searching for Shays/Leles). Iceblade is good for sniping out garbs and avoid hitting Tauros until you have a choice band to 1HKO it. At 210hp, Dramps/Tauros can't 1HKO Ninetales but Ninetales can 1HKO them. Espeon GX can be harder to deal with since Ninetales requires heavy energy attachment(usually 2 water and 1 colorless for setting up the next attack) + Espeon is faster + confusion can be tricky to deal with + Ninetails cannot 1HKO Espeon unless with Kukui.
65/35 against Tauros, 60/40 against Drampas + Magma SecretBase(Rainbow Energy is too slow), 40/60 against Espeon.
And needless to say Ice Path is one of the best GX attack in the game.

I play a mix of Garb/Drampas, Garb/Espeon, MegaRays, Lapras Waterbox, Turbodark and DarkDragon on PTCGO. Most of those decks hovers at a winning percentage of 60-70%. The only deck that has more than 100 plays with >75 winning % is Ninetales GX.

I will put Ninetales GX in tier 1.5 or even tier 1 just for how flexible it is in dealing with the MetaGame ATM.

PS: My first post! Let me know if the formatting is terrible.

Last edited:

I've played close to 300 games on PTCGO since GUR came out and it's by far my most consistent deck.

In my experience, the only 3 tough matchups for Ninetales are
- Rainbow Force Xerneas 40/60
- Vespiqueen 35/65
- Metal Decks, 30/70 against Sogaleo/Metagross, 20/80 against Scizor

As for the MetaGame,
- It can outspeed turbo dark decks with aqua patch and 1HKO them with choice band. 65/35
- Without Sudowoodo and rescue Stretcher this will be a 20/80. But I run one copy of each in my deck as it's 60/40 so far.
- The deck is tanky and isn't over reliant on items so it's not terrible against Plumes Variants. Plus RoughSeas can mitigate the attack from FeatherArrows. 55/45 against DeciPlumes and 50/50 against MantisPlumes.
- At 210hp, Waterbox/Lapras will need Kukui+Choice Band to 1HKO it but it can 1HKO lapras with just a choice band. 70/30
- Volcanions are faster but Ninetales has the type advantage plus it isn't reliant on abilities so you can hex them. 60/40
- MMewtwo and MGards hits about as hard but is less consistent since they require spirit links. 65/35
- Slyveon GX is terrible against anything that is versatile and can hit hard. 80/20
- Lastly, against Garbs variants, which is like 50% of the decks on PTCGO now. Vulpix's Beacon attack can search out pokemons with no energies and it's just an awesome attack to avoid using items/dealing with dead hands(searching for Shays/Leles). Iceblade is good for sniping out garbs and avoid hitting Tauros until you have a choice band to 1HKO it. At 210hp, Dramps/Tauros can't 1HKO Ninetales but Ninetales can 1HKO them. Espeon GX can be harder to deal with since Ninetales requires heavy energy attachment(usually 2 water and 1 colorless for setting up the next attack) + Espeon is faster + confusion can be tricky to deal with + Ninetails cannot 1HKO Espeon unless with Kukui.
65/35 against Tauros, 60/40 against Drampas + Magma SecretBase(Rainbow Energy is too slow), 40/60 against Espeon.
And needless to say Ice Path is one of the best GX attack in the game.

I play a mix of Garb/Drampas, Garb/Espeon, MegaRays, Lapras Waterbox, Turbodark and DarkDragon on PTCGO. Most of those decks hovers at a winning percentage of 60-70%. The only deck that has more than 100 plays with >75 winning % is Ninetales GX.

I will put Ninetales GX in tier 1.5 or even tier 1 just for how flexible it is in dealing with the MetaGame ATM.

PS: My first post! Let me know if the formatting is terrible.
I am currently evaluating decks by how they performed the first 3 weeks which in most cases isn't enough time but people would like to know what the hottest thing is and so I put ninetales on tier 3 because it wasn't as big of an impact as garbodor or greninja. There will be alot for me to update coming this june since league cups will be hosted and we get information from seattle regionals.
This is the deck I was basing it off of. http://imgur.com/a/3fg1E

We did a box tournament with about 15 people I think.

There was a;

1 Mega Pidgeot (Me)
4 Garbodor
1 Greninja BREAK
1 Gyarados
1 Vespiquen
1 Quad Sylveon
1 Volcanion/Turtanator
1 Metagross/Solgaleo
1 Tapu Koko
1 Jolteon/Glaceon
1 Golisopod/Lurantis
1 Alolan Ninetails

Our top cut (before) we decided to split the box four ways was Mega Pidgeot, Metagross/Solgaleo, Volcanion/Turtnator and Garbodor. I feel this was a decently competitive event since there was a 10 dollar buy-in and was pretty competitive. My deck won against two Garbodor decks, Greninja BREAK (thanks to Oricorio) and I got a loss to Metagross/Solgaleo because it could OHKO me. The interesting match for me was Greninja was because it's still strong despite my tech and a deck that isn't designed to be it will lose badly.

Oricorio isn't a main in my deck (it did nothing during three games) and only won me the Greninja BREAK match because my opponent had 13 Pokemon in the discard pile and I was able to take my last two Prize cards on two Benched 60 HP mons. The Greninja payer would have topped if they didn't lose to a Ability lock Garb a friend of mine put in before the event with the advice of another friend.

Personally the on;y bad matchup for my Pidgeot deck are decks that can OHKO it and if it can't do that, they are pretty much autowins for me.

100% agree with you on M Gardevoir, I run 4 links for consistency and I usually give up my supporter for my turn to Skyla for a link.

With that write-up, I have to agree that Ninetales is at least tier 1.5 cause of how useful Aqua patch is for energy acceleration.

100% agree with you on M Gardevoir, I run 4 links for consistency and I usually give up my supporter for my turn to Skyla for a link.

With that write-up, I have to agree that Ninetales is at least tier 1.5 cause of how useful Aqua patch is for energy acceleration.

I don't know what kind of decks you guys are running, but I have rarely had any issues absolutely dominating ninetales. Not just beating. Beating badly. I mean, if you are playing people who just hit into it without a plan, yeah you are going to win. But it isn't like the deck is that hard to take down. Having played against it with a number of decks, tier 2 is the best I would give it.

Does this mean it's okay for me to buy some Darkrai Ex's? I had heard the deck was dead but seems to be not the case. I already have 2, so might as well get 2 more. I was running Volcanion but i've had tons of trouble using that deck of late.

Does this mean it's okay for me to buy some Darkrai Ex's? I had heard the deck was dead but seems to be not the case. I already have 2, so might as well get 2 more. I was running Volcanion but i've had tons of trouble using that deck of late.

The deck isn't totally dead, it just is a little more frail than it used to be. Not all decks play 4 copies of Field Blower, so you should be sort of alright with this deck. Don't put too much money into it though, since Tapu Bulu-GX is going to be seeing some play in the near future.

At the very least hang on to those Darkrai for when Darkrai-GX comes out.

Darkrai is still strong At the moment I would not buy them though if you have a volcanion deck, I would work on the volcanion list since it will be very strong after burning shadows is released and its already pretty strong now. The decks that are close to dropping from tier 1 are Yveltal EX, M Mewtwo and Mega Ray.

Darkrai is still strong At the moment I would not buy them though if you have a volcanion deck, I would work on the volcanion list since it will be very strong after burning shadows is released and its already pretty strong now. The decks that are close to dropping from tier 1 are Yveltal EX, M Mewtwo and Mega Ray.

I think Yveltal and M Mewtwo are pretty much done. It is a sad end to a season for what was at one time the undisputed BDIF. RIP Yveltal. May your dominance in Expanded never fail.

Volcanion does terribly against Greninja, Gyarados, and Waterbox decks. If you're fast enough to outpace them, then maybe you'll beat them, but that also means you're playing more items. Which means Garb will be bad for you. So it's a lose-lose right now. Either way, it's tough for Volcanion and why I'm considering Darkrai or something less expensive to make.

Volcanion does terribly against Greninja, Gyarados, and Waterbox decks. If you're fast enough to outpace them, then maybe you'll beat them, but that also means you're playing more items. Which means Garb will be bad for you. So it's a lose-lose right now. Either way, it's tough for Volcanion and why I'm considering Darkrai or something less expensive to make.
Most of those are true but volcanion does have the potential to win those matchup even with the weakness (Except greninja). If you want something inexpensive and can also stand up to the meta garbodor is cheap especially the espeon list (Don't look at mine was in a hurry to finish it i'll update it later today) and Tapu koko are both pretty cheap to build. I'm saying tapu koko stands up to meta due to experience Garbodor matchup is 50-50(If drampa 40-60), Lapras matchup is 50-50, M ray 0-100, Darkrai 20-80, yveltal 20-80, m mewtwo 60-40, Volcanion 40-60, Gyarados 30-70, Vespiqueen 50-50 and Greninja 60-40. The best choice out of darkrai and volcanion though would be darkrai if you are strictly seeing water and garb, Otherwise Volcanion it really depends on what you are around.

Is Garb/Drampa worth building? I'm worried that everyone will play a counter after Seattle, but Mega Ray isn't doing so well and IDK what to build.

Most of those are true but volcanion does have the potential to win those matchup even with the weakness (Except greninja). If you want something inexpensive and can also stand up to the meta garbodor is cheap especially the espeon list (Don't look at mine was in a hurry to finish it i'll update it later today) and Tapu koko are both pretty cheap to build. I'm saying tapu koko stands up to meta due to experience Garbodor matchup is 50-50(If drampa 40-60), Lapras matchup is 50-50, M ray 0-100, Darkrai 20-80, yveltal 20-80, m mewtwo 60-40, Volcanion 40-60, Gyarados 30-70, Vespiqueen 50-50 and Greninja 60-40. The best choice out of darkrai and volcanion though would be darkrai if you are strictly seeing water and garb, Otherwise Volcanion it really depends on what you are around.

I can vouch for the Lapras match up. Koko is actually one of the more difficult ones because it is one of the few decks you are virtually guaranteed to *not* have that GX paralysis stick AND as soon as you slap down 4 energy, you just lost a Lapras. Add in Aether stadium + FFB (that's what I see mos frequently) and 1 shotting Koko becomes a struggle. I assume your numbers are backwards correct? As in, you beat Gyarados 70% of the time with Koko correct?

Is Garb/Drampa worth building? I'm worried that everyone will play a counter after Seattle, but Mega Ray isn't doing so well and IDK what to build.

Yes it is worth building. I personally don't care for the build, but there aren't a ton of decks that easily counter it either. If you are interested in a counter deck, look up some of the European Turbo Darkrai decks. The deck most definitely is *not* dead.

I can vouch for the Lapras match up. Koko is actually one of the more difficult ones because it is one of the few decks you are virtually guaranteed to *not* have that GX paralysis stick AND as soon as you slap down 4 energy, you just lost a Lapras. Add in Aether stadium + FFB (that's what I see mos frequently) and 1 shotting Koko becomes a struggle. I assume your numbers are backwards correct? As in, you beat Gyarados 70% of the time with Koko correct?

Yes it is worth building. I personally don't care for the build, but there aren't a ton of decks that easily counter it either. If you are interested in a counter deck, look up some of the European Turbo Darkrai decks. The deck most definitely is *not* dead.
Yes it goes from Said Deck - Tapu Koko, I have yet to lose a to a gyarados that wasn't because of dead draws or missing 3 elixirs Baby koko makes this matchup a 70 in koko favor due to flying flip to knockout all hurt gyarados and hex maniac puts mr mime into rest.
Drampa garb is still good but personally I think garb Espeon list does more than the drampa list its just my opinion though.

Drampa garb is still good but personally I think garb Espeon list does more than the drampa list its just my opinion though.
I think the Espeon build is definitely better. It has access to the weakness trio, and this attacks are more well rounded.

Back