Discussion Standard Meta Tier List

Dont sleep on Sylveon GX disruption!

So I played a new version of volcanion and absolutely obliterated Sylveon. Everything is running 3 or more N right now and a lot of lists are also running delinquent. Let me tell you, using delinquent against Sylveon gives me no shortage of joy.

It is a tier 3 rogue deck.

Is Metagross-GX going to be the last major surprise from Guardians Rising or is there another "sleeper deck" that we haven't realized the potential of yet?

Is Metagross-GX going to be the last major surprise from Guardians Rising or is there another "sleeper deck" that we haven't realized the potential of yet?

I think there are a couple sleeper decks coming personally. There are several cards people haven't really played much with that could have a lot of potential to do bad things to a lot of the meta if done right. That said, I think SUM3 is where it is all going to go insane. Kiawe opens up a metric ton of card options. People have been thinking fire. I am thinking things that can benefit from a bunch of colorless energy on them (Bewear GX, Snorlax GX, Yveltal EX, Xerneas Break, etc.) and I think that is going to blow the entire meta open. I am really looking forward to the next set.

So I played a new version of volcanion and absolutely obliterated Sylveon. Everything is running 3 or more N right now and a lot of lists are also running delinquent. Let me tell you, using delinquent against Sylveon gives me no shortage of joy.

It is a tier 3 rogue deck.

I have played multiple volcanions in past few weeks and have won 7 of 8 matches due to vaporeon. def wouldnt say tier 3,maybe tier 2 but not 3

I don't understand why people thought it was a sleeper deck to begin with? I knew from seeing the card it would be good. Built in Energy Acceleration, an attack that can OHKO EX/GX, Type Advantage in that it resists psychic. Was everyone thinking that JUST because Volcanian is near Tier 1 the deck wouldn't work? That doesn't make sense. THe deck doesn't auto-lose to Volca the way Scizor did, because Scizor's problem was the damage cap, Metagross GX doesn't have that problem. Why did people think it was a sleeper deck?

I don't understand why people thought it was a sleeper deck to begin with? I knew from seeing the card it would be good. Built in Energy Acceleration, an attack that can OHKO EX/GX, Type Advantage in that it resists psychic. Was everyone thinking that JUST because Volcanian is near Tier 1 the deck wouldn't work? That doesn't make sense. THe deck doesn't auto-lose to Volca the way Scizor did, because Scizor's problem was the damage cap, Metagross GX doesn't have that problem. Why did people think it was a sleeper deck?
It's a stage 2 deck. The last good one fell out 5 and a half years ago.

It's a stage 2 deck. The last good one fell out 5 and a half years ago.
Um, what? Greninja, American Gothic, Blastoise/Keldeo, Vileplume, all within the last 5 years. One placed second at worlds last year. The Stage 2 aspect isn't the problem, its the fact that all EX's were Basic's or Stage 1* (*Mega). They didnt have a Stage 2 that could match an EX's health or dps. But now we have Metagross and Decidueye. Being a Stage 2 isn't why they thought this was a sleeper. And if it was, then that's to be blunt, flawed logic.

Um, what? Greninja, American Gothic, Blastoise/Keldeo, Vileplume, all within the last 5 years. One placed second at worlds last year. The Stage 2 aspect isn't the problem, its the fact that all EX's were Basic's or Stage 1* (*Mega). They didnt have a Stage 2 that could match an EX's health or dps. But now we have Metagross and Decidueye. Being a Stage 2 isn't why they thought this was a sleeper. And if it was, then that's to be blunt, flawed logic.
Let em explain: No stage 2 has been a main attacker without having evolution support. Greninja has Water duplicates and Grass has Forest. There are almost no others.

Let em explain: No stage 2 has been a main attacker without having evolution support. Greninja has Water duplicates and Grass has Forest. There are almost no others.
Again, because of the stat power of the Stage 2's. Look at the power of all the S2's in recent years. Have any of them had 180+ HP and been able to OHKO any EX without some EXTREME set up? No, because S2's were not on the same stat level. Now they are, and you can see the success. You're putting S2's on a lower platform now, because they were on a lower platform before, without taking new factors into account like Abilities, Energy Accelaration, HP and DPS. Its the same reason why in the HGSS format, you never saw big basic decks, because they weren't on the same stat level as S2's. But once they reached that level, Zekrom, you didn't need to play S2's because of where the stat line was. It will be that way again next year when the Big Basic decks are rotated out. Yes there will be Big Basic attackers in the format, but not as a deck, because stat lines won't allow it. No one will play a Big Basic deck unless they release a card that can hit 200-250 Damage without EXTREME situations. Metagross GX and something like Ancient Origions Metagross are on two VERY different stat lines, so it makes no sense to compare basic S2's vs GX S2's.

Again, because of the stat power of the Stage 2's. Look at the power of all the S2's in recent years. Have any of them had 180+ HP and been able to OHKO any EX without some EXTREME set up? No, because S2's were not on the same stat level. Now they are, and you can see the success. You're putting S2's on a lower platform now, because they were on a lower platform before, without taking new factors into account like Abilities, Energy Accelaration, HP and DPS. Its the same reason why in the HGSS format, you never saw big basic decks, because they weren't on the same stat level as S2's. But once they reached that level, Zekrom, you didn't need to play S2's because of where the stat line was. It will be that way again next year when the Big Basic decks are rotated out. Yes there will be Big Basic attackers in the format, but not as a deck, because stat lines won't allow it. No one will play a Big Basic deck unless they release a card that can hit 200-250 Damage without EXTREME situations. Metagross GX and something like Ancient Origions Metagross are on two VERY different stat lines, so it makes no sense to compare basic S2's vs GX S2's.
DPS? We aren't an RTS game :p

Anyway, I am only telling you why I think other people are surprised.

Also, Greninja is once again tier 1.
Can you support this claim? It has no major finishes in PRC-GUR.

Passimian is a meme deck at this point. It has no results, why is it still Tier 3?

Can you support this claim? It has no major finishes in PRC-GUR.
Some people are claiming that it will be seeing more play because of Shadow Stitching shutting off abilities on cards like Metagross-GX and Decidueye-GX.

Some people are claiming that it will be seeing more play because of Shadow Stitching shutting off abilities on cards like Metagross-GX and Decidueye-GX.
I don't buy it until it put up results. D/V would wreck it anyway. Too much recovery needed under item lock when you get OHKOd every turn.

Passimian is a meme deck at this point. It has no results, why is it still Tier 3?

And it just placed top 8 in Mexico City.

I don't buy it until it put up results. D/V would wreck it anyway. Too much recovery needed under item lock when you get OHKOd every turn.
Greninja is Tier 2, close to Tier 1. Its biggest threat was Garbodor Garbotoxin, but now that that's not a focus point in decks like M-Mewtwo, and Mega decks are all but gone save M-Ray, Greninja has good match-ups against everything else. It has a good Garb/Espeon Match-up because it doesn't use a lot of items, can one-shot Garbodors, and has Field Blower to deal with Garbotoxin. The Drampa version is a bit harder for the deck, but still manageable if played right. And the Vileplume matchup is great for the deck because of Frogadier. You dont need Rare Candy, and you don't rely on too many items. I believe the guy who was 4th place in Mexico City beat a DeciPlume in Top 8 to make Top 4, before losing to Drampa/Garb

Not gonna lie, you shouldn't go based off what people say. Just learn what the strengths and weakness' are of each card, and when you see one card go down in effectiveness, you know another card is going up. M-Mewtwo was Tier 1 before Garbodor, now its Tier 2 MAYBE Tier 3. Because of that change, Espeon is now a better card. And because Field Blower is a card, you can get around Garbotoxin in Greninja, so that helps Greninja a ton, not to mention Choice Band being a great card. Look at the cards that are good now, see how consistent the deck is, then compare it to the strengths and weakness' of the other decks, then watch what cards come out, and its pretty easy to determine where the meta is gonna shift to. For example. Noivern GX could be a Tier 1-2 deck depending on where Gardevoir GX and Sylveon GX sit at, and the reprinting of Double Dragon Energy. But both of their deck's success depends on Metagross GX.

Edit: There are more factors into what will make or break a deck other than weakness, but you get the idea.

Last edited:
How is Yveltal EX still considered a Tier 1 deck considering it hasn't topped since Sun and Moon came out?

Back