Discussion Standard Meta Tier List

Trixss

Aspiring Trainer
These are deck list previously published from the top tier decks and I will be ranking them from what the community thinks and what I personally think in order.

If you do not see a decklist that you think should be up here post the decklist or pm me and I will take a look at the deck I usually forget some decks so just let me know.

Update: August 13th 2017
BKT - BUS IS FINALLY HERE!!

Sorry about not updating this I have been extremely busy.
DECKS IN RED = I HAVE NO CURRENT DECK LIST SORRY ABOUT THIS.

Tier 3:

Tier guide list:

Tier 1 - Decks in the current meta performing well and winning / taking top 8 spots.

Tier 2 - Decks which place top 8 and have 40/60 match-ups against tier 1, Some have potential of being tier 1.

Tier 3 - Decks that are too slow for current format or have hard counters in most tier 1-2 decks.

Last edited:
You're doing the Lord's work, thank you! I think the Vileplume deck you're referring to is the Lurantis-Vileplume lock and a discussion can be found here.

<3 for this thread.

Could it be stickied? It would be a small step towards keeping all the lost threads accessible.

How accurate are these decks? I would argue Volcanion is a tier 1 deck. Some things in tier 2 should be in tier 1.5 like Vespiquen/Techs.

Dark-Tina just won a regionals. M-ray M-gardevoir and M-mewtwo are starting to see a little less play, but I still agree with this tier list.

(Note volcanion and passimian could be included on this list.)

How accurate are these decks? I would argue Volcanion is a tier 1 deck. Some things in tier 2 should be in tier 1.5 like Vespiquen/Techs.
Haven't been able to update list but the reason Volcanion is tier 2 and not Tier 1 is when I evaluate a deck I check for these 3.

A: How are the match-ups vs other decks in tier 1.
B: How consistent does said deck place. (In this case it has taken 5 top 8 spots)
C: How much progression has the deck had since its release.

Dark-Tina just won a regionals. M-ray M-gardevoir and M-mewtwo are starting to see a little less play, but I still agree with this tier list.

(Note volcanion and passimian could be included on this list.)

I wasn't sure if I should put Darkrai varients or the one with the most success.

Haven't been able to update list but the reason Volcanion is tier 2 and not Tier 1 is when I evaluate a deck I check for these 3.

A: How are the match-ups vs other decks in tier 1.
B: How consistent does said deck place. (In this case it has taken 5 top 8 spots)
C: How much progression has the deck had since its release.

I wasn't sure if I should put Darkrai varients or the one with the most success.

I think you should split the Darkrai variants into their own spots. Turbo Dark has been way more successful than Dark Dragons recently and I also happen to think the two decks don't play the same at all either. TBH, I think Dark Dragons should be T2.

Also, I think this will help you a ton with your rankings :)

Finally, I think Passimian is overrated as a T3 deck. It works currently because Darkrai / Mewtwo variants see a lot of play in tournaments. When I play against it though, if it isn't hitting me for weakness, I haven't had a lot of trouble beating it. Contrast that with the other two decks you have in that tier and it is simply outclassed. Maybe a T4? :)

Edit: Guessing you don't want to link to other sites, but here is a Gyarados deck list.

Edit 2: You probably want to rank the latest Decidueye GX + Vileplume deck. I have played against that a few times now using a few different decks. That thing is nasty.

Last edited:
Dark-tina and turbo dark are completely separate things so I would recommend putting both on the list possibly in different slots.

I think you should split the Darkrai variants into their own spots. Turbo Dark has been way more successful than Dark Dragons recently and I also happen to think the two decks don't play the same at all either. TBH, I think Dark Dragons should be T2.

Finally, I think Passimian is overrated as a T3 deck. It works currently because Darkrai / Mewtwo variants see a lot of play in tournaments. When I play against it though, if it isn't hitting me for weakness, I haven't had a lot of trouble beating it. Contrast that with the other two decks you have in that tier and it is simply outclassed. Maybe a T4? :)

Two things here.

1. How can you put Darkrai-Dragons in tier 2 when it won a regional?

2. Passimian is very much like Landorus/Terrakion from the BW-Plasma format, it's an anti-meta deck. It's there because of it's match-ups against the top tier decks. I think tier 3 is a good place for it. The deck also has good match-ups against a lot of new decks. Tauros/Decidueye, Umbreon GX, Espeon GX, even Lapras Loop. The Match-ups that are un-favorable are Volcanion, Scizor EX, Gardevoir, Greninja, and Mega-Ray. Anything that's not those four you have an even to favorable match-up against depending on your build. It's a deck that will start slow, but will gain speed as time goes on.

Two things here.

1. How can you put Darkrai-Dragons in tier 2 when it won a regional?

2. Passimian is very much like Landorus/Terrakion from the BW-Plasma format, it's an anti-meta deck. It's there because of it's match-ups against the top tier decks. I think tier 3 is a good place for it. The deck also has good match-ups against a lot of new decks. Tauros/Decidueye, Umbreon GX, Espeon GX, even Lapras Loop. The Match-ups that are un-favorable are Volcanion, Scizor EX, Gardevoir, Greninja, and Mega-Ray. Anything that's not those four you have an even to favorable match-up against depending on your build. It's a deck that will start slow, but will gain speed as time goes on.

Passimian having a potentially favorable match up against multiple decks doesn't make the deck tournament viable. It means the deck should win against a sub set of the meta. It doesn't mean it will be consistent enough to get top placements. Gyrardos finished 9th in Anaheim. Greninja, Volcanion, Rainbow Road, and Vespiquen all have top 8 finishes. I will happily eat crow about this post if Passimian proves tournament viable, but until it does, it doesn't deserve to be in the same tier as two decks that have successfully navigated tournaments. I mean shoot, Zygarde Carbink even managed a good placement and no one even talks about that deck as a top anti meta deck.

As for Dark Dragons not being tier 1, just winning a major tournament doesn't make a deck tier 1 automatically. Audino won the whole thing last year and that deck definitely isn't tier 1. That said, I went back through the results for this season and you make a good point about the deck. In addition to winning the last standard tournament, it has also placed top 8 several times. That's a tier 1 pedigree and I definitely undersold it.

Super awesome of you to find these skeleton lists. Here's my tier list, if its of any assistance :)

Tier 1:
Vileplume Varients / Decidueye
Turbo Darkrai
Vespiquen (Verge of being tier 1)
Yveltal EX
Darkrai Dragons

Tier 2:
Volcanion EX
M Mewtwo EX
M Gardevoir

Tier 3:
M Rayquaza EX
Waterbox/ Lapras GX
Greninja Break
Gyarados
Rainbow Road
M Scizor EX

I kind of think there should be a tier for "up and coming" decks and Lurantis / Solgaleo & Passimian should be in there. I think both have potential, but I don't think either deserves to be in Tier 3 because those decks are all proven.

Decidueye-GX/Vileplume should probably be tier 1 considering how hyped it is being after it won at Sheffield.

I guess I'll make one too:

Tier 1:
Turbo Darkrai (Just a super consistent deck in terms of speed. EXP Share lets it keep damage on board)
Darkrai Dragons (It's another Turbo Dark deck but with Dragons. E Hammer isn't being used as much so each DDE turns into 40 more damage, which can steal KO's. I debated it at Tier 1.5 but it is really good.)
M Rayquaza EX ( Do I even need to say anything?)

Tier 1.5
Vespiquen Varients / Techs (It just hits everything hard but relies hard on Prize trades. Becomes less favorable for the bee player if they have to take 6 Prize cards. Techs like Zebstrika/Eeveelutions allows them to do better in other matchups like Mega Ray, Volcanion, Fire weak mons)
M Gardevoir-EX (Despair Ray) (Mega Ray 2.0 but it does consistent damage. Things like Rattata (EVO) and Hawlucha put it over the top.)
Vileplume Varients / Decidueye (Vileplume decks always do a thing. Debated tier 2 since it can lose hard)

Tier 2:
Volcanion-EX (A deck that can OHKO things if they get the right cards but M Rayquaza-EX does it better)
M Gardevoir-EX (B. Arrow) (Damage scaling decks are always scary and this one does x30 with lots of energy acceleration. It requires more setup than Turbo Dark)
Yveltal-EX (Turbo Dark scales better and has a better matchup against M Mewtwo-EX. Better as a Bench sitter with EXP Share than its own deck)
Lurantis-GX / Solgaleo-GX (This deck does well against everything. Has 2 GREAT GX attacks and can OHKO most of the meta)

Tier 2.5
Waterbox / Lapras-GX (This deck is fast and can KO 170 HP Basic Pokemon easily. Struggles against Mega Evolved Pokemon since it can't OHKO them)
Rainbow Road ( Always a crap shoot. Can do very well if setup.)
Passimian / Mew (Don't know about this. It beats Dark and Mewtwo but struggles against everything else)
Pidgeot-EX (It did get a top cut and trades well against deck that 2HKO. Does well against a lot of the meta)
M Scizor-EX (Lots of special energy and Stadium cards are used. Disruption got better with Sun and Moon. Not sure why people aren't playing this.)

Tier 3:
Greninja Break (It's just too slow now but it can still work.)
Gyarados (Really seems like flavor of the month. Vespiquen does it better for far less setup)

I kind of think there should be a tier for "up and coming" decks and Lurantis / Solgaleo & Passimian should be in there. I think both have potential, but I don't think either deserves to be in Tier 3 because those decks are all proven.
The reason Solgaleo/Lurantis isn't on the list is because its hard to find a spot for it. Yes it did get a top 32 slot but the problem with the deck is it has a couple bad match-ups and besides it hasn't seen much play elsewhere. The deck is solid although a bit gimmicky I was considering it to be a tier 2 deck since it doesn't seem right to put it in tier 3. I appreciate your suggestion and will be doing a Tier ? for decks who need to prove themselves or are currently in a hard place in the meta for me to decide where to put them.

I guess I'll make one too:

Tier 1:
Turbo Darkrai (Just a super consistent deck in terms of speed. EXP Share lets it keep damage on board)
Darkrai Dragons (It's another Turbo Dark deck but with Dragons. E Hammer isn't being used as much so each DDE turns into 40 more damage, which can steal KO's. I debated it at Tier 1.5 but it is really good.)
M Rayquaza EX ( Do I even need to say anything?)

Tier 1.5
Vespiquen Varients / Techs (It just hits everything hard but relies hard on Prize trades. Becomes less favorable for the bee player if they have to take 6 Prize cards. Techs like Zebstrika/Eeveelutions allows them to do better in other matchups like Mega Ray, Volcanion, Fire weak mons)
M Gardevoir-EX (Despair Ray) (Mega Ray 2.0 but it does consistent damage. Things like Rattata (EVO) and Hawlucha put it over the top.)
Vileplume Varients / Decidueye (Vileplume decks always do a thing. Debated tier 2 since it can lose hard)

Tier 2:
Volcanion-EX (A deck that can OHKO things if they get the right cards but M Rayquaza-EX does it better)
M Gardevoir-EX (B. Arrow) (Damage scaling decks are always scary and this one does x30 with lots of energy acceleration. It requires more setup than Turbo Dark)
Yveltal-EX (Turbo Dark scales better and has a better matchup against M Mewtwo-EX. Better as a Bench sitter with EXP Share than its own deck)
Lurantis-GX / Solgaleo-GX (This deck does well against everything. Has 2 GREAT GX attacks and can OHKO most of the meta)

Tier 2.5
Waterbox / Lapras-GX (This deck is fast and can KO 170 HP Basic Pokemon easily. Struggles against Mega Evolved Pokemon since it can't OHKO them)
Rainbow Road ( Always a crap shoot. Can do very well if setup.)
Passimian / Mew (Don't know about this. It beats Dark and Mewtwo but struggles against everything else)
Pidgeot-EX (It did get a top cut and trades well against deck that 2HKO. Does well against a lot of the meta)
M Scizor-EX (Lots of special energy and Stadium cards are used. Disruption got better with Sun and Moon. Not sure why people aren't playing this.)

Tier 3:
Greninja Break (It's just too slow now but it can still work.)
Gyarados (Really seems like flavor of the month. Vespiquen does it better for far less setup)
I really don't think MRay is tier 1 anymore. It can be realistically placed around tier 2 in my opinion. The reason is that too many decks are running Parallel City nowadays, and after that one bench restriction it's very hard to pick up steam. Not to mention Garbodor running around can shut off any hopes of recovering such as Dragonite EX, Hoopa EX, or Shaymin EX. I also find it confusing how you put Despair Ray Gardevoir underneath MRay even though you described her as Rayquaza 2.0 being more consistent and with things like Rattata and Hawlucha putting her over the top.

The reason Solgaleo/Lurantis isn't on the list is because its hard to find a spot for it. Yes it did get a top 32 slot but the problem with the deck is it has a couple bad match-ups and besides it hasn't seen much play elsewhere. The deck is solid although a bit gimmicky I was considering it to be a tier 2 deck since it doesn't seem right to put it in tier 3. I appreciate your suggestion and will be doing a Tier ? for decks who need to prove themselves or are currently in a hard place in the meta for me to decide where to put them.

I think Tier ? is perfect actually. I think that provides a good spot for decks that are showing up while not actually being true meta defining decks (yet).

Also, as others have stated, thanks for this list. I think it is a great addition and would also love to see it stickied.

Back