Discussion Standard Meta Tier List

It might be too early to tell at this point, but I think that Tapu Koko-GX is probably going to be tier 2. It hits M Ray for weakness and its GX attack is one of the best in the new set.

What do you think will happen to Mega Ray with Sudowoodo in the meta and lightning making a comeback?

Not only Lightning and Sudowoodo. Trashalanche Garbodor is death to that deck. While M Mewtwo was always good against M Ray, adding in Trashalanche makes that match up downright bad for M Ray in the games I have played. Granted, I am also rocking Wobbuffet in my M Mewtwo list, but that Garbodor brings M Mewtwo to a whole different level.

I think there are going to be a lot of decks like this coming out of this set. Honestly, I think Pokemon did a pretty great job of adding another set that shakes up the meta right after adding a set that shook up the meta. If SUM3 is anything like the first two, we can keep looking forward to new meta decks.

Regarding the meta list.

Quad Sylveon is going to be T1...T2 at the very worst. That deck is a very hard out.

Also curious to see where Quad Wobbuffet gets placed too. It seems like a T2 deck simply because I am not sure how well it will do against decks that don't fit the current meta's template (Quad Lapras and Quad Sylveon) are going to be hard for that deck to beat.

It might be too early to tell at this point, but I think that Tapu Koko-GX is probably going to be tier 2. It hits M Ray for weakness and its GX attack is one of the best in the new set.

What do you think will happen to Mega Ray with Sudowoodo in the meta and lightning making a comeback?
I have been playing alot with Tapu Koko since release and I think it can be a Tier 1 Deck, The only match-up that gave me a problem was Waterbox The rest of the Tier 1 Decks were easily a 70-30 match-up in favor of Tapu koko.

As for mega ray I don't think sudowoodo is the problem I think Trashalanch Garbodor is a problem for every deck even more so towards mega ray.

With the news about Necrozma-GX, Psychic will be a very important type to beat in the next set. Psychic toolbox, anyone?

Quad Sylveon is going to be T1...T2 at the very worst. That deck is a very hard out.

From what I understand, Sylveon-GX has amazing disruption ability with its GX attack and its first attack isn't anything to scoff at either. Is this all that makes Quad Sylveon good, or is there something I'm missing?

From what I understand, Sylveon-GX has amazing disruption ability with its GX attack and its first attack isn't anything to scoff at either. Is this all that makes Quad Sylveon good, or is there something I'm missing?

I honestly think this is a deck you really have to play against to understand how big of a pain it can be. If you don't 1 shot it, it can be very difficult to handle. The ones I have played against were all running Max Potion while looking to offload as my of your resources as possible. I honestly think the deck is harder to play against than Quad Lapras for a couple reasons. 1st it has more hit points making it harder to OHKO. 2nd it is far more precise in the cards it is drawing with the first attack.

It is a very strong deck with multiple win conditions.

I have been playing alot with Tapu Koko since release and I think it can be a Tier 1 Deck, The only match-up that gave me a problem was Waterbox The rest of the Tier 1 Decks were easily a 70-30 match-up in favor of Tapu koko.

As for mega ray I don't think sudowoodo is the problem I think Trashalanch Garbodor is a problem for every deck even more so towards mega ray.
What's your Koko build like?

How well does Jolteon at 3 and Mewtwo work out for you? And the Exp. Share?
Before Tapu Koko I was playing this list with Raikou, Mewtwo was the hardest matchup however Koko helps this match-up before Koko was a 20-80 Now vs Mewtwo its a 70-30 in favor of Koko, You want to start off with Jolteon so you can start loading up your bench so Koko can do the work. Jolteon at 3 doesn't sound so good but there isn't many Free retreat Lightning pokemon out there at the moment that provides pressure to the other meta decks aswell. As for the EXP Share I had it at 3 for a while now I recently dropped the number to 2 so I can more consistency it also helped me in the plume match-up since I cut 1 for a 2nd hex maniac.

I think that a Golisopd deck could make a tier 2 if not 1, because of a 'consistency' and power.

I'll post a decklist when I finish working on it. It's a little tricky but I think it's really powerful

These are deck list previously published from the top tier decks and I will be ranking them from what the community thinks and what I personally think in order.

All decks will have links leading to a list for said deck. If you would like to help please leave a post or message me a decklist for ones I have not yet posted I know I'm missing about 4-5 Decks but these are the ones I see played the most.

Update: April 22nd 2017
I'm back with some new decks and updating rankings, Sorry about a super late update been really busy and there hasn't been any league cups recently.

Change List:

Added Lycanroc GX to Tier 2
Added Quad Lapras to Tier 2
Added Turbo Lightning / Raikou to Tier 3
Added Decklist for Espeon GX
Added Decklist for Passimian

Side Note:
I have been working a lot on the current deck list for Lightning Turbo / Raikou and the reason I have it in tier 3 is for the performance it can give, I've have tested it against a lot of the Tier 1 decks and the only one that really gives me a problem is M Mewtwo. So far my performance for weekly local tournaments is 13/15 and online is 66 W / 34 L.

Tier 1:
M Mewtwo EX
Turbo Darkrai
M Rayquaza EX
Darkrai Dragons
Yveltal EX
Decidueye Plume

Tier 2:
Vespiquen
Waterbox / Lapras GX
M Gardevoir Despair Ray

Volcanion EX
Lurantis
Rainbow Road
M Scizor EX / M Scizor EX (SUM)
Tauros Giratina

Lycanroc GX
Quad Lapras

Tier 3:
Umbreon GX
Greninja Break

Gyarados

Passimian
Solgaleo/Lurantis
Espeon GX
Turbo Lightning / Raikou

Tier ?:
Pidgeot EX
Houndoom Mill (Can't Find Decklist)

Disclaimer!!!

Most of these decklist are Pre-evolutions set these are just skeleton list to help you build and see the core of the deck.

Tier guide list:
Tier 1 - Decks in the current meta performing well and winning / taking top 8 spots.

Tier 2 - Decks which place top 8 and have 40/60 match-ups against tier 1, Some have potential of being tier 1.

Tier 3 - Decks that are too slow for current format or have hard counters in most tier 1-2 decks.

Tier ? - Decks which need to be evaluated, Have not seen many results or it's a recently built deck.

Update this please. Thank you.

Update this please. Thank you.
The plan was to update on the 15th but during my local testing some top players brought decks which I have not thought of and actually performed well. I will update the list on the 22nd after I get a couple of decklist. (Guardians rising will also be legal Heads-up)

The plan was to update on the 15th but during my local testing some top players brought decks which I have not thought of and actually performed well. I will update the list on the 22nd after I get a couple of decklist. (Guardians rising will also be legal Heads-up)

Awesome, you rock! Thanks for all you do.

If I were making that list, this is what I would change:

Pidgeot-EX (up to Tier 3)
Passimian (removed)
Lunala-GX (new Tier 3)
Volcanion-EX (up to Tier 1)
Garbodor (GDR) (new Tier 2 for now)

Not only Lightning and Sudowoodo. Trashalanche Garbodor is death to that deck. While M Mewtwo was always good against M Ray, adding in Trashalanche makes that match up downright bad for M Ray in the games I have played. Granted, I am also rocking Wobbuffet in my M Mewtwo list, but that Garbodor brings M Mewtwo to a whole different level.

I think there are going to be a lot of decks like this coming out of this set. Honestly, I think Pokemon did a pretty great job of adding another set that shakes up the meta right after adding a set that shook up the meta. If SUM3 is anything like the first two, we can keep looking forward to new meta decks.

Regarding the meta list.

Also curious to see where Quad Wobbuffet gets placed too. It seems like a T2 deck simply because I am not sure how well it will do against decks that don't fit the current meta's template (Quad Lapras and Quad Sylveon) are going to be hard for that deck to beat.
. . .Quad Wobb?
and what abut garb alone? no Mega Mewtwo

I miss the meta deck thread where the sticky was the discussion if what is the top decks, and the threads were discussing on each decklist. #bringbackthemetagamedeckthread

Sorry about the late update I was trying to get some of the cards online and get the most deck list. Next update June 22nd or could be sooner lots of league cups coming up.

You know another possible threat?

The promo Lurantis w/ Sunny Day ability + Tapu Bulu...

Put forest of giant plants, evolve four fomantis into sunny day lurantis, occupy bench spot no. 5 w/ Lele-GX/Shaymin-EX for draw support, and w/ some elixir action, a choice band, and a kukui, you don't need to discard energy for KOs, as they have a max of 250 for stage 2 GXes, and here's some related math:

4 sunny days * 20 = 80(damage added by 4 sunny days) + 120(base for nature's judgement) = 200, not including damage provided by choice band and kukui!

^ Nice for Tier 1? Bulu's not tourney-legal until the 2nd of June, as it's a promo card from a tin, but I can already see it dominating the competition...

^ Now all we need is a list for that...

Last edited:
You know another possible threat?

The promo Lurantis w/ Sunny Day ability + Tapu Bulu...

Put forest of giant plants, evolve four fomantis into sunny day lurantis, occupy bench spot no. 5 w/ Lele-GX/Shaymin-EX for draw support, and w/ some elixir action, a choice band, and a kukui, you don't need to discard energy for KOs, as they have a max of 250 for stage 2 GXes, and here's some related math:

4 sunny days * 20 = 80(damage added by 4 sunny days) + 120(base for nature's judgement) = 200, not including damage provided by choice band and kukui!

^ Nice for Tier 1? Bulu's not tourney-legal until the 2nd of June, as it's a promo card from a tin, but I can already see it dominating the competition...

^ Now all we need is a list for that...
Couple things.

2 Grass and a Colourless, you'd have to play Max Elixer to power him up quickly.

You will never have four sunny day Lurantis on bench.

I do think Sunny Day has potiential, just not with Tapu-Bulu. Golisopod would be a better pairing. Maybe even Vespiqueen.

Back