Yveltal EX Variants

I'm been doing well with the deck on playtcg. It helps that Yveltal XY is not limited to dark for acceleration (the only bad thing about dark patch).

Well if you're playing this deck and you're not accelerating to dark types... What are you accelerating to? Keldeo?

Lots of possibilities, Seismatoad EX, Mewtwo EX, Hydreigon (if you go that route). I even made a deck with Stoutland (a 3-1-3 line) using Yveltal as energy acceleration. I also threw in Yveltal EX and a Darkrai for easy retreat (and snipe). Having tried several other ways of getting Stoutland to work, using those three seemed to do the trick (though I think the hammers might have helped too).

Dark Espeon said:
You can also combine Yveltal with the new Manectric line to accelerate from the discard.

Hmm late game perhaps, but weakness to fighting hurts. No retreat cost is nice though.

RE: Yveltal / Darkrai in the New Format

I have been using a Yveltal EX deck and have tested against Pyroar so far, and it honestly seems to be fine. My build allows me to consistently get a T2 Evil Ball or Y Cyclone. However, I do use abilities in my deck, so I need room to tech against Garbodor, but I can't do that AND tech for Pyroar.... Still working out some kinks here and there, but other than that, it's very fluid and effective. Plus the fighting resistance is too good to pass at the moment.

You could tech in beartic for pyroar and lysandres/ startling megaphones for garbador if it hurts your deck that much.

I play an Yveltal/Garbodor deck and it really hadn't changed for a while until Furious Fists.

The biggest change is probably adding Seismitoad. I might even add a second of this guy. It's really good because you can stall in the beginning of the game to power up some benched Pokemon, or stop your opponent from finishing you at the last second towards the end of the game. I honestly think that Seismitoad should be at least a one-of in just about every deck.

Another thing is playing a Mountain Ring in addition to my 2 Virbank and 1 Shadow Circle, because wow, Landorus or any bench damage in general is annoying.

Adding a 3rd Trubbish because Lysandre isn't really considered a bad Catcher anymore. It's just Lysandre now. People want to play Lysandre, not a bad Catcher.

Sacred Ash, because in order to try to match the speed of other decks, you might end up being more reckless with Juniper/Ultra Ball, discarding needed Pokemon along the way.

Aaand Darkrai. Still a one-of. And probably going to stay like that until rotation.Really I don't mind it being prized but if there's a chance to bench it, great! Oh no, Garbodor lost the tool. It's ok, I have free retreat now.

I just noticed that the title just says Yveltal/Darkrai. No Garbodor. Not sure if it's still worth playing but I guess you could replace the Garbodor line with Beartic or Leafeon. I'd prefer Leafeon because nobody here plays Pyroar anymore but there's a lot of Plasma. Heck, might as well just play Drifblim if there's a lot of Plasma.

Mora said:
So my friend has been talking about Seismitoad /Yveltal as a deck. The idea is that Yveltal adds to the deck's potential damage output, something that is probably Seismitoad's biggest draw back. And of course it slows your opponent down with Item lock to the point that the deck almost doesn't really mind losing Dark Patch all that much. Certainly an interesting take on Yveltal in the new format.

I played in an LC tournament yesterday and was "rolling" with my Seismitoad-Garbodor deck undefeated into the 4th round. Then I encountered another undefeated player running a Yveltal-Darkrai deck and I thought "no worries..." after about his 4th tourn, he got his Seismitoad EX out and started Quaking Punch'ing my Toad. This bought him some valuable time to build up his benched Yveltal EXs. His Toad definitely made the difference in our match.

Like I said before, I tried the deck with Seismitoad Ex and did not enjoy it at all. I really don't like my DCE being on toad, or commiting to energies to it. I run a simple 3 Yveltal XY, 3 Yveltal EX, 1 Mewtwo EX, 1 Darkrai EX and 2-2 Garbodor. The deck has been performing better and better and I've finally achieved the build that suits me the most. It just took a bit of time to learn the new style of playing this incredibly powerfull deck.
The only changed i could think of making is taking out the 2-2 Garbodor line and adding 2-2 Pyroar and some Rainbow Energies (maybe one Silver Bangle), that would give you a free win vs Plasma (at least on my locals no one runs a Pyroar counter in Plasma, because people hardly play Pyroar due to Pyroar hate on other decks) and also it would wreck Virizion/Mewtwo, Virizion/Dragonite and Virizion/Genesect. With Darkrais Ability there wouldnt be any retreat cost on Pyroar, turning Beartic from a menacing counter to a little ball of white fur.

Dark Espeon said:
You can also combine Yveltal with the new Manectric line to accelerate from the discard.

Don't forget the new Hydreigon, which I believe is about to revive this metadeck, or at least partially, if only in Yveltal's, rather than Darkrai's, favor, as although you still need Shadow Circle for it to be effective, the combo of Hydreigon + Mega Manectric-EX addresses the acceleration problem that Yveltal had pre-Phantom Gate, a problem which I believe hurt this metadeck the most out of all the Tier 1 decks combined to the point where you had to put the tier for this deck in question, given that outside of Expanded format(where Dark Patch is legal, as Expanded covers all cards BW-On, rather than the BCR-On that the 2014-15 Standard format covers), its weaker power as a result of the fact that Dark Patch is now gone out of rotation hurt this deck with no way to accelerate energy as reliably as Dark Patch could... Well, when Phantom Gate is released in the US as Phantom Forces, I believe that problem will no longer be present, as a new Dark Patch will come into Standard format, in the form of the new Hydreigon's ability, which, although it won't revive the Garbodor variant, the Phantom Forces set's release will rectify the acceleration problem for Yveltal-EX variants that use Abilities, rather than locking them, and I also believe that this metadeck's use rate post-Phantom Forces will begin to crank up again, and when the Wednesday before Thanksgiving in the US rolls around, I believe this deck will begin to regain the spotlight in tournaments held on or after the final month of 2014 that was taken from Yveltal decks by other types of decks post-Dark Patch loss...

Btw, have you seen the top 32/8 decks (day 1/2) results (article posted in The Top Cut) from the Philly and Phoenix Regional tournaments? Yveltal deck variants (with Darkrai EX, Seismitoad EX, Garbodor, and/or etc.) were quite popular and "dominated" (i.e., in regards to sheer number of players running Yveltal decks) both days.

My current Yveltal variant is a very different compared to the current yveltal lists heres a basic rundown
3x Yveltal EX
1x Yveltal
1x Darkrai EX
1x Keldeo EX
2x Cubchoo
2x Beartic FUF
3x Deino
1x Zweilous
3x Hydreigon

4x Juniper
4x N
2x Colress
1x Lysandre
1x Shauna
2x Skyla

3x Ultra Ball
1x Pal Pad
1x Switch
1x SSU
1x Scramble Switch
1x Catcher
1x Laser
3x Rare Candy
3x Muscle Band
2x Megaphone

1x Shadow Circle

8x Dark Energy
4x DCE

The strategy of the deck is to end turn one with yveltal EX with an attachment and a deino on the bench, next turn you can try for turn 2 hydreigon and if you get it, it all goes great. if you dont then just try next turn while benching a few more things and attack with yveltal. on turn 3-6 ideally you want to have a darkrai EX and a beartic down. This allows you to switch between attackers and soften up everything. when you take 2-3 prizes try to set up a bench snipe with the darkrai to finish the game, this is the best way I have found to play this deck. Problems? reply and ill take suggestions

ThunderSloth said:
My current Yveltal variant is a very different compared to the current yveltal lists heres a basic rundown
3x Yveltal EX
1x Yveltal
1x Darkrai EX
1x Keldeo EX
2x Cubchoo
2x Beartic FUF
3x Deino
1x Zweilous
3x Hydreigon

4x Juniper
4x N
2x Colress
1x Lysandre
1x Shauna
2x Skyla

3x Ultra Ball
1x Pal Pad
1x Switch
1x SSU
1x Scramble Switch
1x Catcher
1x Laser
3x Rare Candy
3x Muscle Band
2x Megaphone

1x Shadow Circle

8x Dark Energy
4x DCE

The strategy of the deck is to end turn one with yveltal EX with an attachment and a deino on the bench, next turn you can try for turn 2 hydreigon and if you get it, it all goes great. if you dont then just try next turn while benching a few more things and attack with yveltal. on turn 3-6 ideally you want to have a darkrai EX and a beartic down. This allows you to switch between attackers and soften up everything. when you take 2-3 prizes try to set up a bench snipe with the darkrai to finish the game, this is the best way I have found to play this deck. Problems? reply and ill take suggestions

Which Hydreigon are you using? I'm assuming it's the Dark Advocacy one, since there's no reason to play Scramble Switch along with the Dark Trance one lol.

Speaking of, I would definitely play both Hydreigon in that deck. Both abilities are really fantastic, and combo really well with each other. One ramps out Energy, and one preserves them. I'd probably do a 2-2 split, but I could see playing an extra Dark Advocacy one.

As for your list, along with the addition of the other Hydreigon, I'd obviously add Max Potion, and probably some Rainbow Energy, too. Both Hydreigons have pretty good attacks (they can also kill Safeguarders and Pyroar very easily), and they allow you to add other techs to the deck, like Virizion (instead of Keldeo) and Terrakion (for Manectric EX).

Beartic seems unnecessary for the deck. Hydreigon would do just fine at KOing Pyroar, and Yveltal is decent enough against Landorus EX. A Stage 1 line makes the deck unnecessarily clunky. 4 DCE also seems like a bit too much. Maybe 2-3, but not 4. I'd also take out some of the more random cards like Super Scoop Up, Catcher, and Laser for more consistency with your deck. Those cards don't really help you accomplish your goal much faster than more consistency would. Stuff like another Darkrai, another baby Yveltal, another Ultra Ball, another Rare Candy, another Skyla, just stuff like that.

Hope my advice was helpful. If you're looking for even more advice on it, you can post your list in the Deck Garage, since this thread shouldn't really be used when asking for a lot of advice.

[split] Yveltal Variants: Raichu vs. Garbodor vs. Fairies

Ok then, I think we've come to the resolution that Yveltal EX/Garbodor is the best current option. I understand the basic list for it and understand how it is very powerful, but it seems like I can't tell what the best techs are available to put in in terms of trainers. Float Stone, Dowsing Machine, N, Juniper, Lysandre, Colress, Energy Switch, and a single copy of Professor's Letter seem necessary, but does anyone have any suggestions of what to try out?

Thanks for the feedback,
LoneWolf2113

LoneWolf2113 said:
Ok then, I think we've come to the resolution that Yveltal EX/Garbodor is the best current option. I understand the basic list for it and understand how it is very powerful, but it seems like I can't tell what the best techs are available to put in in terms of trainers. Float Stone, Dowsing Machine, N, Juniper, Lysandre, Colress, Energy Switch, and a single copy of Professor's Letter seem necessary, but does anyone have any suggestions of what to try out?

Thanks for the feedback,
LoneWolf2113

Besides Muscle Band and Switch, you've got pretty much all the staples. You're probably gonna need some more supporters. Your choices are Shauna, Bicycle (I'm not a fan of it in this deck, but some people are), and from PF you have VS Seeker. Energy Switch also isn't necessary, but if you have the space, it's decent.

How would Malamar EX fare? I can imagine it as a good Item Lock and/or Trevenant blocker.

bbninjas said:
How would Malamar EX fare? I can imagine it as a good Item Lock and/or Trevenant blocker.

In some kind of Hydreigon variant, the card is a no-brainer. Just attach to it, and move the Energy onto another attacker. In a straight Yveltal or Yveltal/Seismitoad variant, the attack seems too weak. Loading Energy onto Yveltal will usually let you do more damage than Malamar. Just look at some of the math: 2 Energy on Yveltal and the Defending Pokemon, 100 damage. 2 Energy on Malamar, 60 on average. 3 on Yveltal and 2 on the Defending, 120. 3 On Malamar, 60 or 120 on average. These are the type of numbers you'll see most often, if not that, even more Energy on the Defending Pokemon. It's just not as powerful as Yveltal.

Battle Compresser could be a great play in this deck, and doubly so in Expanded. Pullimg energy straight from the deck into the discard ensure that Baby Yveltal always has something to accelerate on, and in Expanded it's pretty crazy with Dark Patch. Yvektal's a deck that isn't terribly tight on space, so squeezing in a Compressor or two shouldn't be hard.

I'm also wondering how big a threat Manectric-EX and its Mega form will be to this deck. Yveltal has been a favorite of both new and veteran players due to its simple strategy and being budget friendly. I can't think of anything off the top of my head that Yveltal could run to counter Manectric. If there's a consistent, hard counter to it, we could see a decline in its popularity. Time will tell, I suppose.

Back