Yveltal EX Variants

RE: Yveltal / Darkrai in the New Format

^

The best thing about that Hydreigon is it's synergy with the Dark Trance one. I could easily see running a 4-1-2:2 line of the two along with 1-2 Darkrai 2-4 Yveltal, maybe one X/Y Yveltal, and some other stuff (since you need rainbow energy to attack with either Hydreigon). The deck seems to build itself.

True, I actually posted before I saw the news and I had that exact same idea. Tanking with Yveltal Ex and accelerating energy from the discard with the new Hydreigon while moving it to your desired Pokémon with the old Hydreigon. (all this assuming we get support for stage2 decks, and that Seismitoad doesn't show up with Quaking Punch).

pokedan24 said:
^

The best thing about that Hydreigon is it's synergy with the Dark Trance one. I could easily see running a 4-1-2:2 line of the two along with 1-2 Darkrai 2-4 Yveltal, maybe one X/Y Yveltal, and some other stuff (since you need rainbow energy to attack with either Hydreigon). The deck seems to build itself.

Problem with this is that you're essentially relying on a Stage 2 Pokemon to do that Energy Acceleration for you. For me, that means more cards that would be dedicated to that line.

Another question would be Garbador. Sure, Startling Megaphone would take the tools but a smart opponent wouldn't be so willy-nilly about attaching a ton of tools without considering a Startling Megaphone.

But do you think Garbodor is a good choice for the next format? Emboar and Blastoise decks will most likely not show because of the level and heavy ball rotation, TDK will be there but Kyurem PLF can be taken out by simple techs like Forretress FLF, Pyroar can be taken out by Beartit from the most recent set. The only problem I can see is Virizion/Genesect's immunity to lasers (and I expect it to not show in very large numbers because of the Super Rod and Skyarrow Bridge rotating out, causing less energy in play, and no way to retrieve it to the deck), and Aromatisse decks since it's harder to 1HKO without the dark patch and it would be kinda anoying to play vs a damage manipulation deck like that.

What are your thoughts?

Warizon said:
But do you think Garbodor is a good choice for the next format?
Yes. I currently run Garbodor in 2 different decks now and from my play-testing, Garb is still quite effective. Consider that the following, arguably "top" decks are still viable in the current format:

• Empire
    FairyBox
    Kangaskhan
    Machamp-Landorus
    NinjaTank
    Plasma
    Pyroar
    Virgen
All of the above decks rely upon Abilities; so, Garbodor will still be very effective, IMO.

Secondly, at a local league challenge yesterday that was in the extended deck format, other different Ability-based decks were played like Darkrai, RayBoar and Blastoise. So, Garb, IMO, is not going away anytime soon...

From that point of view, I agree. But without Level ball at least Empire, Fairybox, Kanghaskan, Ninjatank and Pyroar are going to get hurt a bit. I have a tournament with the new format in a few days and the thing I'm finding is that the new meta is a huge mystery yet..

Another thing I remembered about using Garbodor in Yvetal Ex decks is that the deck lost speed, so we should keep the others slowed down so Yveltal Ex can keep their pace.

In my play-testing with Poke pals, I'm seeing more Call for Family Poke, Ultra Ball and/or Pokemon Fan Club use to facilitate "fast" bench setup; so, the overall deck setup speed may be (?) similar to before in the past season. I miss the energy attachment acceleration that Dark Patch provided the most... Bottom line for me is that I still plan to keep and play my Yveltal-DarkraiGarbodor deck - which, by the way, is a solid play for the extended play portion of a tournament, IMO.

Honestly I think Yveltal can still exist in the new format, but it's going to be a different deck. Using baby Yveltal to accelarate energy will be slower than Dark Patch, but still viable. Sableye is less of a loss at this point; most players were already down to one or even zero in their decks and only kept him around for an emergency Junk Hunt as opposed to setup. Darkrai however, will become nothing more than a bench sitter that will only be kept around for its ability. This is not only due to the slowness of powering it up, but also its weakness to Fighting, which can make it a liability and an easy Lysandre kill late game for Landorus. Yveltal-EX however, I feel will work thanks to its Fighting resistance, and its attack is still one of the strongest around. This make cause the deck to see reduced play, but I can't see it dying out any time soon.

Warizon said:
From that point of view, I agree. But without Level ball at least Empire, Fairybox, Kanghaskan, Ninjatank and Pyroar are going to get hurt a bit.
Just a "small" bit though, and not enough to warrant not playing the deck, IMO. I'm seeing some players compensating by running more Ultra Balls, Pokémon Fan Club(s), and/or Call for Family Poké.

Warizon said:
Another thing I remembered about using Garbodor in Yvetal Ex decks is that the deck lost speed, so we should keep the others slowed down so Yveltal Ex can keep their pace.
At last weekend's League Challenge (attracted players from 3 different states), 41 players competed (28 masters, I believe). Of interest, former 3x World Champion, 2 former T2 Regional tournament semi-finalists, former National champion, 3 former State champions, etc. competed and the victor (really good, former State champion) ran a Yveltal-Garbodor deck.

TuxedoBlack said:
At last weekend's League Challenge (attracted players from 3 different states), 41 players competed (28 masters, I believe). Of interest, former 3x World Champion, 2 former T2 Regional tournament semi-finalists, former National champion, 3 former State champions, etc. competed and the victor (really good, former State champion) ran a Yveltal-Garbodor deck.

The rotation hadn't occurred yet so DEX was actually legal for that tournament. Today is the day that the rotation officially takes place.

I have a Darkrai/Yveltal deck myself and I've been fine on PTCGO practicing with it, granted it doesn't get me wins EVERY time, but it does pretty well.

The only cards I use for "Recovery" are Pal Pad and Sacred Ash, otherwise, my Pokemon Lineup is:

3 Yveltal EX
2 Darkrai EX
2 Baby Yveltal
1-1 Garbodor (only own 1 Garbodor in real life)
1 Keldeo EX (In case of any Special Condition Lock)
1 Emolga (don't own any Dedenne)
1 Mr. Mime (for any Landorus-EX/Darkrai Matches, though I may replace him with a Mountain Ring)

I had the first BCR-On tournament today, and Yveltal was just wonderful..
I did not make top cut, but I understood the weaknesses of my build and I can honestly say Yveltal/Garbodor (and without garbodor) is still a REALLY strong contender. I found that his main weaknesses are Yeti decks which I saw coming out of the deckboxes once again and I had a Seismitoad Ex tech which will come off the deck for sure because it is just not worth it. I will put a Sawk PLB because the trade with thundurus is just wonderful.

Warizon said:
I had the first BCR-On tournament today, and Yveltal was just wonderful..
I did not make top cut, but I understood the weaknesses of my build and I can honestly say Yveltal/Garbodor (and without garbodor) is still a REALLY strong contender. I found that his main weaknesses are Yeti decks which I saw coming out of the deckboxes once again and I had a Seismitoad Ex tech which will come off the deck for sure because it is just not worth it. I will put a Sawk PLB because the trade with thundurus is just wonderful.

The most insane thing I saw was the words "Yeti decks which I saw coming out of deck boxes". What was your overall wins and loses?

We're a small community in Portugal so it was only 4 rounds with a top 4. I played vs Landorus/Lucario/Garbodor and the deck had a nice matchup with the resistance, then lost to Yeti (the deck did not get one supporter on both games, so it was impossible to actually play ahah), then won vs Virizion/Dragonite (2 of the best players there were playing this deck, one of them went to top), then lost again 2-1 vs Yeti on a exciting game with time being called and we were both at 1 prize.

After testing a Stoutland deck using both Yveltal's and Darkrai as support Pokemon, I can safetly say, yes, it can still function. Yveltal (non EX) is especially good because it can accelerate to non Dark pokemon while Darkrai provides snipe and free retreat, making it still relevant even in a format where fighting pokemon reign supreme.

That's not even going into the other possible deck's (Zoroark, Hydreigon, and the upcoming Hydreigon that provides even more acceleration). Dark's still have some of the best attackers and support.

So my friend has been talking about Seismitoad /Yveltal as a deck. The idea is that Yveltal adds to the deck's potential damage output, something that is probably Seismitoad's biggest draw back. And of course it slows your opponent down with Item lock to the point that the deck almost doesn't really mind losing Dark Patch all that much. Certainly an interesting take on Yveltal in the new format.

Interesting concept... I've been playing a Seismitoad deck for a few weeks now and really like it. Have not considered incorporating Yveltal (and/or Yveltal EX) into my deck at all since damage output is not a concern for me. However, Yveltal EX would provide a very interesting option though and I do like options in my decks.

Btw, congrats on your new Moderator position.

I used Seismitoad in my Yveltal/Garbodor deck as tech.. I didn't really find it useful since the deck is still very agressive and I'm sure to take it out, but I guess that in a Seismitoad Ex deck Yveltal would provide some nice game finishing power.

I tried running Yveltal Ex in a Seismitoad Ex deck. It became an inconvenience when compared to running Mewtwo Ex.
It took longer to power up and it made it where I had to run dark energy instead of water.

I really like Yveltal Ex with Aromatisse. Really quick to power up and easier to keep safe vs Mewtwo and other Yveltals.

Tanner said:
I tried running Yveltal Ex in a Seismitoad Ex deck. It became an inconvenience when compared to running Mewtwo Ex.
It took longer to power up and it made it where I had to run dark energy instead of water.

I really like Yveltal Ex with Aromatisse. Really quick to power up and easier to keep safe vs Mewtwo and other Yveltals.
My first idea for the new format in the Yveltal context was also to run it with Fairies. Acceleration with Xerneas XY, 4 Rainbow Energies and energy manipulation through aromatisse. But I left that idea because of the fact that 4 rainbows would make the deck hardly consistent. We need to have at least 1 of those on the field at all times if we want to make use of Yveltal Ex.

Back