X/Y League Prize Support - What are you hoping for?

TokenDuelist

YGO TCG is Cheaper. Fight me.
With the BW 2 league season ending soon, what are your hopes and predictions for X/Y's prize support? Do you want GOOD promo cards? Code Cards (Ewwww.... ) ? or perhaps the return of POP Packs? (I'm hoping for this )

What are your thoughts on what they should do? After all I know many that quit because of the bad prize support that BW brought...

Wait, people actually quit the TCG because they were dissatisfied with the things they were getting for free?
Wow.

I was pretty happy with the code cards and the badge at the end of the season. Maybe a physical promo card would be cool too though, like instead of getting all the promo energies and things online just get them for real. It's not an online league, so why should the prizes be online?

Ryan Sinclair said:
Wait, people actually quit the TCG because they were dissatisfied with the things they were getting for free?
Wow.

I was pretty happy with the code cards and the badge at the end of the season. Maybe a physical promo card would be cool too though, like instead of getting all the promo energies and things online just get them for real. It's not an online league, so why should the prizes be online?

Well, I mean they quit League, I would occasionally still see them at events like Battle Roads.

Even I am dissatisfied though, the code cards are nice and all, but woulda been much better with physical copies of their cards too.... I have issues with the online game, it's not even fully built yet and they try to push it onto people so much... I don't mind advertising it but - do not force it onto us.

I stopped playing the TCG Online because from what I can tell - there is no actual reward or anything for playing. So why bother? We don't get Dream World Pokemon, we don't get organized play points - so what is the purpose? I liked that league participation got us Dream World Pokemon though. Unfortunately all male (would be nice to get a female one...here's hoping for an eevee soon at least )

I can understand why people would like the code cards, they do contain quite a few staple cards. But only online.

I would rather see them give us staples for X/Y or give us something fully evolved or unique and not in a main series booster. There are so many promos we're missing that weren't reprinted in Plasma Blast and I hope they have a good plan for those as league prizes. 3DS accesories too would be nice, like how we used to get DS Skins.

Even I am dissatisfied though, the code cards are nice and all, but woulda been much better with physical copies of their cards too.... I have issues with the online game, it's not even fully built yet and they try to push it onto people so much... I don't mind advertising it but - do not force it onto us.
...This. So much of this. I am still trying to get rid of all my code cards. I've traded at least 200 over the years and I still have 100 more to get rid of - and that's just from packs, never mind the league ones. Do you have any idea how hard it is to trade them away?

The promos have only gotten worse as time went on. After the loss of POP packs, we got playable promo cards at the end of the DP season (which, honestly, I prefer to POP packs, since POP8 and POP9 were pretty bad and I started at POP6). HGSS kept up the trend, though, which was pretty good. They were only 'worse' than the other promos because they were running out of choices for playable cards.

BW gave us foil energy and a random uncommon from some set. That's cute, but I already get foil Energy in the mail. BW2 didn't even give us that - code cards? Who uses those? It's giving us something for a game that's optional, requires you to pay to play, and doesn't even give you any lasting rewards. This is why I'm trying to push for PTCGO to be removed completely, as even now, years after its release, it is still incomplete and riddled with bugs. And we even lost the badge pins! How am I going to wear my badge swag on my judge shirt now!?

At this rate, we are going to lose league rewards altogether. They need to clean up their act and realize what the heck they're actually doing here. There is no incentive to play at league anymore. The so-called rewards have no substantial value. They need to either go back to POP packs like in early DP (which is honestly the best thing to do at this point) or reprint playable cards as promos like they did in later DP.

I'm not mad about the code card prizes, but I agree. They should have physical copies of them also. Imagine how cool a promo pokemon catcher would be?

I do hope for sleeves or something.

DNA said:
...This. So much of this. I am still trying to get rid of all my code cards. I've traded at least 200 over the years and I still have 100 more to get rid of - and that's just from packs, never mind the league ones. Do you have any idea how hard it is to trade them away?

The promos have only gotten worse as time went on. After the loss of POP packs, we got playable promo cards at the end of the DP season (which, honestly, I prefer to POP packs, since POP8 and POP9 were pretty bad and I started at POP6). HGSS kept up the trend, though, which was pretty good. They were only 'worse' than the other promos because they were running out of choices for playable cards.

BW gave us foil energy and a random uncommon from some set. That's cute, but I already get foil Energy in the mail. BW2 didn't even give us that - code cards? Who uses those? It's giving us something for a game that's optional, requires you to pay to play, and doesn't even give you any lasting rewards. This is why I'm trying to push for PTCGO to be removed completely, as even now, years after its release, it is still incomplete and riddled with bugs. And we even lost the badge pins! How am I going to wear my badge swag on my judge shirt now!?

At this rate, we are going to lose league rewards altogether. They need to clean up their act and realize what the heck they're actually doing here. There is no incentive to play at league anymore. The so-called rewards have no substantial value. They need to either go back to POP packs like in early DP (which is honestly the best thing to do at this point) or reprint playable cards as promos like they did in later DP.

No one at league here gets the code cards, we are contemplating making a separate VG based league to attract the older players, and give away code card sets to children who participate.

I like the badge cases, but it would be nice to get the badges in actual shape, that'd be nice.
I really hope they either take down the Pokemon TCGO or plop in some good reason to use it.

Their crew is lacking, they're unreliable and full of themselves.

I think that the badge system sounded really sweet, so let's do the best of both worlds it and take the badges from BW, the POP-packs from R/S/E and playable promos from DP and put them into some sort of reward system for the Leagues. I know this sounds like too much, but you can always hope :rolleyes:. Besides, Pokemon have to really learn from their competitiors about playable promos (namely MtG).

I would say just put the unreleased reprint promos, maybe even shiny collection and EX Battle Boost ( a bit too much to ask, but it would greatly increase the number of players) into POP packs. I know people are going to say "They wouldn't put such rare things in POP packs" but that is not the case as we've seen Shiny Pokemon and chase cards such as Gallade in the past. PS. Also Boost Energy was a really good card.

I wish that leagues were more like Nationals. Not like both opponents should get packs, but the winner choses between 2 piles of the BW promos/deck boxes/a pack/or uncommonly EXs. It would give people a chance for a better reward for completing a row and winning their matches.

Moved to Play! Pokemon because league is part of Play! Pokemon.

I'm hoping for good promo cards. I could care less what they do for online support considering I don't play the online game. I have way too much to do to have time playing on that.

The league cycle where it was poor cards like Lillipup I don't want to see return again. It'd be really cool if it was a great cycle like the one that had Claydol GE and Uxie LA. Yes it does lower the value, but it makes the game more competitive by giving more players access to good cards. It will help to grow the game.

I wish they would start giving away Pop Packs like they did in the old ex era. They were very fun to open and they had playable cards sometimes. The artwork was also very pleasant to the eye ;)

MountainDrew said:
I wish they would start giving away Pop Packs like they did in the old ex era. They were very fun to open and they had playable cards sometimes. The artwork was also very pleasant to the eye ;)

The only problem with PoP Packs is most of the cards in them were bad. There would only be a couple good cards in them, which were generally rare. Back when there was Pokemon Star, they had a couple of those in PoP packs, but as a Star, it made them very difficult to acquire. It also really forced the price of them up. It wouldn't matter how playable the Pokemon Star is because collectors would need it.

Yes it does lower the value, but it makes the game more competitive by giving more players access to good cards. It will help to grow the game.
I'm pretty sure most of us at this point care about access to cards more than value being hit, and have remained in this mindset for a while. Catcher has been a $15 card for years and has remained so up until now. And for someone like me, and others like me, who have had to trade for all 4 of their Catchers at that higher price, I think a lot of other players, who would be actually forces to be reckoned with if they had Catcher or whatever, might actually crop up in the tournament base now.

Slightly unrelated note, I'm going to encourage my friends who are still trying to deckbuild to get Plasma Blast, just because of that alone.

Even if they're not "good" I'd like to see the cards be exclusive promo cards just for the league, make it actually rewarding for going somewhere once a week (besides having tons of fun).
And no more code cards to advertise TCGO.

ryter78 said:
Even if they're not "good" I'd like to see the cards be exclusive promo cards just for the league, make it actually rewarding for going somewhere once a week (besides having tons of fun).
And no more code cards to advertise TCGO.

Yeessss, exactly.

I cannot express my hatred for TCGO, I am not meaning to turn this into a rant thread, but whoever is in charge of the programming, the mods, etc. - are an ignorant and lazy bunch.
They update the most useless things and don't even put forth any effort to making it better.

The Pokemon Company should fire that crew and hire a new one.

I really like the badge case and the badges, as well at the badge pins they gave out for BW. I don't like the code cards at all. I would much rather prefer getting a terrible card with the league logo on it like they did in BW than the codes.

Although, for XY I would like to see an XY badge case and either POP packs or special promos.

The only thing I'm hoping for is staples such as Juniper and Catcher to get new players into the competitive scene. It just sucks when new players show up to league and their decks get slaughtered by decks like Plasma and Gothitelle. They want to be able to play competitive decks, but they sometimes just don't have the funds or the parental support to acquire the competitive cards.

Playable cards. That's all I want.

Seriously, the code card idea was a load of crap. The badges were cool though but still, playable cards are the best things you can give to a starter in Pokemon which most people going to leagues would be.

Fraxureking said:
Gais all they need to do is give us playable cards, how hard can that be?

Very Difficult, apparently.

I was kind of frustrated when I found out that the player rewards for playing so much was a bunch of blend energies.

Why couldn't that be our league prize support instead?

Back