XY X / Y Box Art Subtly Reveals Legendaries Typing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
RE: X/Y Box Art Subtly Reveals Legendaries Typing?

CyberCat5555 said:
Mitja said:
Just cybercat.

Keeps saying "living in forest=/=grass, because examples", but doesn't understand that Xerneas isn't really just some pokemon. Its an important legendary, and any kind persistent symbolism can be crucial in that case.

I'm not saying 100% Grass anymore (but I was all the way up till Fairy was officially revealed), but its still pretty damn likely.

Yep <3

I know that Xerneas lives in a forest, but it still does not look like a Grass type at all. I think it will have Fairy as one of its types, as Fairies often live in forests and can control the growth of plants (like in Ferngully), but it will not be a Fairy/Grass type, I still think it will be Fairy/Steel. However, it will not be pure Fairy, it seems like there is something unnatural in it...

Legendaries don't often make their typing clear at first glance.
Take the creation trio:
Palkia hasn't got any features that would immediately make one think it could be Water type. Same with Dialga, I wouldn't think of it as steel at first glance.
I can't remember that well, but I'm not sure how many people thought Zekrom would be electric before Shokotan posted on her blog

which brings me on to my next point: if xerneas were to be electric then shokotan would've leaked it by now

But seriously, I'd love for them to be Grass or Fairy / Dark or Flying, because those are types we haven't really seen in main legendaries (excluding flying being slapped on for design reasons)
I'd also like the legendaries to not have huge beef with each other, more for them to coexist (think Ho-Oh/Lugia rather than Groudon/Kyogre)

^The legendary mascot beef was exclusive to Groundon/ Kyogre I think.
Dialga and palkia only opposed in the movie, I don't recall any beef between Zekrom and Reshiram if they did beef let me know.

I really hope that they decide to stop making Dragon-type legendary Pokémon each generation. I really love the design of the legendary Pokémon, especially Yveltal's design. Xerneas looks a bit like a Steel-type to me, maybe Steel/Fairy? Yveltal could definitely be Flying/Dark. I don't know what else it could be to be honest, although I am still having doubts about the Dark-type. Maybe another pure Flying type? Or maybe Flying/Fire.. I really want to know, since I'm going to play Y first!

Sky Pillar said:
^The legendary mascot beef was exclusive to Groundon/ Kyogre I think.
Dialga and palkia only opposed in the movie, I don't recall any beef between Zekrom and Reshiram if they did beef let me know.

Zekrom/Reshiram definitely beefed! The reason they're split apart into two Pokemon was because of their original owners' quarreling. They're beefing is kind of just a proxy for that beefing, but it's still beefing.
Now I'm hungry.

I seem to be one of the only people who's hoping Yveltal isn't going to be Dark/Flying or Flying/Dark. I guess I just don't exactly see what's so dark about it aside from the markings. Mawile and Luxray look like Dark types, but they aren't... Bah.

I see Yvetal as Flying/ dark because of it's malevolent appearance and the pronunciation pun of it's name (Eviltal). I don't see many other type combos in it's design.

Some say fire/ flying but it's red coloration doesn't lean towards fire anymore than groundon does or zekrom does to dark. Others say Poison/ Flying... which I can see if Yvetal follows a "corruption" theme but that's speculative thinking.

Ohman177 said:
Mitja said:
Either. Just throwing the idea out there ;D

I sort of like it. Especially comparing it to Groundon and Kyogre. GF could have easily made Groundon Ground/Fire and Kyogre Water/Ice or something. But they chose to go pure which they could easily do here. Y would be flying, X would be grass or fairy. They could have moves/characteristics of their possible second type, but not the actual type.

Exactly!

I can totally see them do this:

Groudon - Ground (learns plenty of Fire moves)
Kyogre - Water (learns plenty of Ice moves)

Xerneas - Fairy (learns plenty of Grass moves)
Yveltal - Flying (learns plenty of Dark moves)

I actually think Mitja has a good idea there. Though I hope that Xerneas would be Grass/Fairy and Yveltal would be Dark/Flying.

Or could Yveltal be Fire/Dark-type? For some reason I think it might be. :D

Pineapple X said:
I actually think Mitja has a good idea there. Though I hope that Xerneas would be Grass/Fairy and Yveltal would be Dark/Flying.

Since it appears to have a large connection to the sky, I can't see it not having Flying (whether pure, primary or secondary) any time soon.

It's also unlikely it will get Levitate: every mascot legendary has either had the same ability or a counterpart ability as the others in the trio/duo. (Pressure, Drizzle/Drought, Turboblaze/Teravolt)
Since Xerneas is clearly not a Levitator, and there is no counterpart for Levitate (lol perma gravity), then it's unlikely to be a Levitator.
On the subject of abilities, I'm thinking they'll either get Pressure (meh but always used for legendaries so not impossible), or new counterpart exclusive abilities, probably having an X and Y in the abilities somewhere
or something like (this is with Mitja's speculation that Xern will be Fairy but learn a lot of Grass moves, and Yvel will be Flying but learn a lot of Dark moves)
Y Wing - Gives STAB to Dark moves
X Antler - Gives STAB to Grass moves
this way they're given a connection to Grass/Dark respectively, but aren't true Grass/Dark types.

P.DelSlayer said:
Pineapple X said:

Since it appears to have a large connection to the sky, I can't see it not having Flying (whether pure, primary or secondary) any time soon.

It's also unlikely it will get Levitate: every mascot legendary has either had the same ability or a counterpart ability as the others in the trio/duo. (Pressure, Drizzle/Drought, Turboblaze/Teravolt)
Since Xerneas is clearly not a Levitator, and there is no counterpart for Levitate (lol perma gravity), then it's unlikely to be a Levitator.
On the subject of abilities, I'm thinking they'll either get Pressure (meh but always used for legendaries so not impossible), or new counterpart exclusive abilities, probably having an X and Y in the abilities somewhere
or something like (this is with Mitja's speculation that Xern will be Fairy but learn a lot of Grass moves, and Yvel will be Flying but learn a lot of Dark moves)
this way they're given a connection to Grass/Dark respectively, but aren't true Grass/Dark types.

I'm sort of growing on the pure type idea but what about X's legs. I CAN'T GET PAST THAT THEY'RE SWORDLIKE. Also, for some reason I don't have the option of liking anyones posts anymore. Anyone know why?

P.DelSlayer said:
Pineapple X said:

I would say that it would be pure Grass before pure Fairy. Yveltal represents more the Sky and its counterpart would be Grass while the Dark part opposite would be Fairy (assuming that it represents good). In your case, the Antler is more proper for a Grass than for a Fairy.

I could see them doing the Dialga/Palkia/Giratina that they had the orbs done only for them. So instead of having Y Wing and X Antler being abilities, they could be exclusive items with the effects you mentioned.

Flys Gone 2071 said:
P.DelSlayer said:

I would say that it would be pure Grass before pure Fairy. Yveltal represents more the Sky and its counterpart would be Grass while the Dark part opposite would be Fairy (assuming that it represents good). In your case, the Antler is more proper for a Grass than for a Fairy.

I could see them doing the Dialga/Palkia/Giratina that they had the orbs done only for them. So instead of having Y Wing and X Antler being abilities, they could be exclusive items with the effects you mentioned.

Flying/Dark and Grass/Fairy would be the best types because flying is strong against grass but fairy is strong against dark reportedly (and obviously) so no one is overpowered.

P.DelSlayer said:
Pineapple X said:

Kinda off-topic, but this could be done in RS sequels for Kyogre and Groudon to add a twist (in a potential return to Hoenn for nostalgia purposes).
Kyogres Ice-STAB item being found deep in Shoal cave and Groudons Fire-STAB item deeper in Mt.Chimney.

Ohman177 said:
Flys Gone 2071 said:

Flying/Dark and Grass/Fairy would be the best types because flying is strong against grass but fairy is strong against dark reportedly (and obviously) so no one is overpowered.

Its not a battle. And if it were, Kyogre>Groudon.

All types have advantages and weaknesses. Whether the mascots end up being weak to each other in one way or another isn't as relevant as all the other factors like concepts and backstories. Which was clearly the case with the Hoenn example and no one had a problem with it. Groudon and Kyogre were made to fight each other, but what they represented was more important than that when the types were chosen.

Mitja said:
Ohman177 said:

All types have advantages and weaknesses. Whether the mascots end up being weak to each other in one way or another isn't as relevant as all the other factors like concepts and backstories. Which was clearly the case with the Hoenn example and no one had a problem with it. Groudon and Kyogre were made to fight each other, but what they represented was more important than that when the types were chosen.

I was going for the whole "life and death balance each other out." With each death, there is a birth. So no one is ahead of the other. That could relate to them being equals.

Ohman177 said:
Mitja said:

I was going for the whole "life and death balance each other out." With each death, there is a birth. So no one is ahead of the other. That could relate to them being equals.

That doesn't explain why it would follow that their type match-up has to be balanced.

Mitja said:
Ohman177 said:

That doesn't explain why it would follow that their type match-up has to be balanced.

because if they are balanced and neither has the upper hand over the other, they are equals. Just like how life and death are equals.

Ohman177 said:
Mitja said:

because if they are balanced and neither has the upper hand over the other, they are equals. Just like how life and death are equals.

And space and time are relative but still Dialga OHKO's Palkia and but Palkia doesn't.

Flys Gone 2071 said:
Ohman177 said:

And space and time are relative but still Dialga OHKO's Palkia and but Palkia doesn't.

But space and time are not balanced. Space is a literal form existing since the dawn of everything. Time is subjective and only identified by those who choose to acknowledge its existence.

Sky Pillar said:
HoOhLugia said:
Xerneas may be an ice type because in the trailer, Xerneas used Ice Beam. The Box Arts may not just hint the types, they may also just point out the habitats. But we will not know until more evidence is shown.

Ice Beam's been a TM in all current gens I believe, I don't think it using ice beam points to ice-type since so many legendaries can learn that move.

Perhaps the colouration could affect its type - though I'm not saying that Xerneas is 100% ice. We have had some dark coloured Ice type Pokemon: Sneasel and Weavile...

And maybe the lights on its antlers could indicate a little frost to its type.

As far as the plants/clouds go, I think that it might just represent where the legendaries are located, as shown in the trailer. As far as the white/black side-coloring goes, that might either be a nod to the previous four games in the series, or what you originally said. If what you say is correct, though, I'd get Y.

I think Yveltal is clearly part Flying-type. I also think it is clearly dual-typed. My preference would be Fighting/Flying, unless of course we get a non-legendary Fighting/Flying family. Then I won't care. Dark/Flying still seems most likely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back