XY X / Y Box Art Subtly Reveals Legendaries Typing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
RE: X/Y Box Art Subtly Reveals Legendaries Typing?

professorlight said:
yVzAirt.png

So... still any doubts about xerneas being grass?

Just cybercat.

Keeps saying "living in forest=/=grass, because examples", but doesn't understand that Xerneas isn't really just some pokemon. Its an important legendary, and any kind persistent symbolism can be crucial in that case.

I'm not saying 100% Grass anymore (but I was all the way up till Fairy was officially revealed), but its still pretty damn likely.

Mitja said:
professorlight said:
yVzAirt.png

Just cybercat.

Keeps saying "living in forest=/=grass, because examples", but doesn't understand that Xerneas isn't really just some pokemon. Its an important legendary, and any kind persistent symbolism can be crucial in that case.

I'm not saying 100% Grass anymore (but I was all the way up till Fairy was officially revealed), but its still pretty damn likely.

Exactly. I'm not really sure that he completely realises that Xern being in a forest now in 3 different things (3DS, trailer, boxart) means that Grass is now the only type that we can safely say Xerneas could easily be.
There are a couple more types I can see, but none quite as much as Grass. Electric, Psychic, Fairy are all things Xerneas could potentially be.
For the 'living in a forest =/= grass' argument (which isn't much of an argument really), that's mainly because the non-grass forest dwellers are based on animals which live in forests. Sloths live in forests, why would they have them sitting around in plains instead of where they would logically be?
If Xern has a strong connection to the forest, then Grass would probably be the no.1 type to represent that. Why would they have a Psychic/Steel type which rules over nature? Surely Psychic/Grass at the very least would represent that much better.

And to cybercat, just because a Pokemon doesn't look like a Grass type, that in no way rules out any possibility of it being Grass type. Just like how you think 'Xerneas' horns glow/it has LEDs = high possibility of it being Electric', even tho it doesn't look that electric-ey to me.
I'm actually thinking you're against it being grass just because you don't want it to be. Whether you want it to be grass or not, it's the one type at the mo that Xern could easily turn out to be.

Xerneas may be an ice type because in the trailer, Xerneas used Ice Beam. The Box Arts may not just hint the types, they may also just point out the habitats. But we will not know until more evidence is shown.

You guys, forrest doesn't guarantee only grass. Fairies are things that some times protect mother nature or are a part of it like nymphs. Celebi is a prime example of a pokemon who might be changed into fairy for this very reason. I think the only thing the forrest guarantees is fairy OR grass. It will DEFINITELY be one of those or both. But I highly doubt both seeing as celebi will probably be that.

While I get your point, I disagree with Celebi being anywhere close to a "prime example". I guarantee at least Celebi of all the cutesy event-legends is staying Psychic/Grass for good. It employed those two types well for 4 generations, I don't see it suddenly ditching either of its current types for some Fairy-element moves.

Mitja said:
While I get your point, I disagree with Celebi ebing anywhere close to a "prime example". I guarantee at least Celebi of all the cutesy event-legends is staying Psychic/Grass for good.

WHy do you say that?

HoOhLugia said:
Xerneas may be an ice type because in the trailer, Xerneas used Ice Beam. The Box Arts may not just hint the types, they may also just point out the habitats. But we will not know until more evidence is shown.

Ice Beam's been a TM in all current gens I believe, I don't think it using ice beam points to ice-type since so many legendary's can learn that move.

Can someone explain the electric and ice type speculations. Those just seem ridiculous.

Sky Pillar said:
HoOhLugia said:

Ice Beam's been a TM in all current gens I believe, I don't think it using ice beam points to ice-type since so many legendary's can learn that move.

Exactly. And while someone might want to point out how its mainly learnt by Ice/Water/Dragon pokes, the anomalies tend to be legendaries and strong pokemon.....and just so happens to include all those stereotypical Fairy re-type candidates of Clefairy, Jigglypuff, Chansey...which is the other type Xerneas could very well end up being.

So if Ludicolos and Abomasnows Grass type didn't prevent from learning Ice Beam, this wouldn't be so weird either.

Ohman177 said:
Can someone explain the electric and ice type speculations. Those just seem ridiculous.

Electric for the lights on it's antlers, and ice because it can use ice beam.

I don't agree with it being either of those types.

Sky Pillar said:
Ohman177 said:

Electric for the lights on it's antlers, and ice because it can use ice beam.

I don't agree with it being either of those types.

Yeah I feel the lights could be fairyish and the ice beam is just a move they had him do to show it off.

professorlight said:
yVzAirt.png

How does this not look like Medieval Northern European art?

Norse mythology?

Because Xerneas has light on its antlers doesn't mean it is Electric. Ampharos is a light house, the light from there comes from electricity. I don't see anyway explanation of why it could actually be Psychic. Psychic means psychic powers and nothing more (giving life isn't Psychic, Celebi's Psychic because it travels through time while the Grass part does the healing).

The Guardian/King of nature hasn't been covered yet. Celebi represents life and time travel while Landorus/Thundurus/Tornadus bring fertility to the land with a variety of weather. Groundon/Kyogre/Rayquaza created the land, the sea and the sky. In the case of the Lord of Nature is the life that live in the respective place (Xerneas the land, Yveltal the sky and Zmon the water).

Life and Death have been done before with Celebi and Giratina. They aren't a duo but Giratina represents death and the underworld while Celebi represents Life and Time.

I don't want it to be Fairy because I don't like the idea of having a Fairy Legendary in their debut while the other being a simple Dark/Flying but I have to admit that it is more probable to be Grass/Fairy than any other type.

Mitja said:
professorlight said:
yVzAirt.png

Just cybercat.

Yep <3

I know that Xerneas lives in a forest, but it still does not look like a Grass type at all. I think it will have Fairy as one of its types, as Fairies often live in forests and can control the growth of plants (like in Ferngully), but it will not be a Fairy/Grass type, I still think it will be Fairy/Steel. However, it will not be pure Fairy, it seems like there is something unnatural in it...

That's why I think it may be Fairy/Steel and created or modified by the enemy team(s)

As for the new 3DS, I think that it is simply inspired by medieval woodcuts, which was common in medieval France and Europe as a whole.

Flys Gone 2071 said:
Because Xerneas has light on its antlers doesn't mean it is Electric. Ampharos is a light house, the light from there comes from electricity. I don't see anyway explanation of why it could actually be Psychic. Psychic means psychic powers and nothing more (giving life isn't Psychic, Celebi's Psychic because it travels through time while the Grass part does the healing).

The Guardian/King of nature hasn't been covered yet. Celebi represents life and time travel while Landorus/Thundurus/Tornadus bring fertility to the land with a variety of weather. Groundon/Kyogre/Rayquaza created the land, the sea and the sky. In the case of the Lord of Nature is the life that live in the respective place (Xerneas the land, Yveltal the sky and Zmon the water).

Life and Death have been done before with Celebi and Giratina. They aren't a duo but Giratina represents death and the underworld while Celebi represents Life and Time.

I don't want it to be Fairy because I don't like the idea of having a Fairy Legendary in their debut while the other being a simple Dark/Flying but I have to admit that it is more probable to be Grass/Fairy than any other type.

You make sense. I like you.

professorlight said:
yVzAirt.png

This is so great, if my old 3ds were to accidentally break under unknown circumstances I would not be mad....

Actually, Giratina does not represent death and that's a big misunderstanding. It represents antimatter, or the opposite of time and space. When antimatter comes into contact with 'real' matter it destroys it, thus Giratina's violent nature and its need to be sealed in the Distortion World. There are some 'deathly' themes in its typing and location, but that is definitely not what Giratina is centered around. Celebi also doesn't represent life so much as it represents time. It's said to guard forests, sure, but its death doesn't make all the forests die, even in the Pokemon movies. It just made Celebis from other times appear.

The basic growth vs withering theme, or life vs death to be really vague, is something that hasn't been covered yet and I do hope Xerneas and Yveltal will be the first ones to do it.

I'm starting to kind of doubt Hiro's rumors about the legendary typings so I am leaning towards Grass/Fairy for Xerneas. Maybe GF thought that Yveltal would be the ridiculously popular one if they didn't give Xerneas the fancy new type? And Yveltal seems like Dark/Flying or Poison/Flying so nothing new here.

After Noivern I've changed my mind about Yveltal too.

I believe its main type will be Flying now.
Its going to be its prominent type, not just the extra common sense addition like every Flying legendary before it.

Heck I can see it turn out ot be pure Flying right now.
Perhaps an extra Dark or Poison type...but gamefreak haven't really ever gone crazy with fancy combos for mascots except for making all of the group Dragon type..
I believe gamefreak would rather keep it simple if they can.

Makes me think of Kyogre and Groudon. Huge epic ancient single-typed legendaries, gives them some kind of... solidity (?). Important guys representing one element each.

Mitja said:

Its going to be its prominent type, not just the extra common sense addition like every Flying legendary before it.

Perhaps an extra Dark or Poison type...but gamefreak haven't really ever gone crazy with fancy combos for mascots except for making all of the group Dragon type..

Makes me think of Kyogre and Groudon. Huge epic ancient single-typed legendaries, gives them some kind of... solidity (?). Important guys representing one element each.

Are you saying Y would be pure flying and X pure grass or fairy?

Ohman177 said:
Mitja said:

Either. Just throwing the idea out there ;D

Mitja said:
Ohman177 said:

Either. Just throwing the idea out there ;D

I sort of like it. Especially comparing it to Groundon and Kyogre. GF could have easily made Groundon Ground/Fire and Kyogre Water/Ice or something. But they chose to go pure which they could easily do here. Y would be flying, X would be grass or fairy. They could have moves/characteristics of their possible second type, but not the actual type.

Does anyone know which 3ds comes with pokemon x and which one comes with y?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back