Pokemon Will Pokemon die out?

Zyflair said:
Also, this is just me, but I liked the contests they had.

Finally! Someone who agrees! I love contests. I was sad when they took them away. :( But it seems like majority of Pokemon fans didn't exactly seem to enjoy them....

I'll keep this open since it's still a relevant topic. I love contests until they changed in generation four. The musicals in Gen V just didn't hold up, but the Pokeathelon was fun. But I still don't see the franchise dying off anytime soon.

I think the franchise will die when the fanbase dies, which won't be happening for a few centuries.

Wizard said:
I think the franchise will die when the fanbase dies, which won't be happening for a few centuries.

Well, at least another decade. But then, I say that knowing that fandoms like the ones for Star Trek and Star Wars are still as strong and alive as ever.

Yeah but since the films have stopped being made I can honestly say the fanbase has shrunk not saying they aren't popular. I mean I used to love star wars I still play the games now and then but it has kind of died, yes they have a cartoon but it isn't the same. Bearing in mind Star wars was alive since the 70's. Also Pokemon is very different to Star wars and Star trek. If the card game was to stop being produced then there would be less interested. It depends if we are talking about Pokemon as a whole or Seperate parts of the Franchise.

I was just making a loose comparison. Star Trek/Wars fandoms are still pretty strong from what I recall. I still watch reruns of the 1990s Star Trek shows regularly, even though they're long since over. Likewise, I don't see Pokemon's general fanbase dying out completely. Personally, I think the TCG will fade long before the video games will, and that won't be immediately either.

ThatPokemonCollector said:
If the card game was to stop being produced then there would be less interested. It depends if we are talking about Pokemon as a whole or Seperate parts of the Franchise.

Well yes, there would be less, but not too many. I'd venture to say that 20,000 people actually compete in tournaments, while 80,000 more simply collect the cards. If the cards die off, you'll completely lose the first 20,000 (if they don't play the games at all), and maybe some of the 80,000. But that's no where near the 12,000,000 that play the games.

I haven't payed attention to Pokemon since... early of two years ago. Though last year I did attend Comic Con and entered the Pokemon room, and the fan base did get smaller than all the other years I've attended. I've got so much into Track and Field, I forgot what Pokemon was.

AnimeUSA said:
Yeah I agree. It had a great storyline, and I loved the Pokemon designs, but I just prefer D/P and under.

I see where you're getting at, unfortunately (to you at least) I migrated most of my Gen 4 Pokemon over to Gen 5 cause most of my friends are playing Gen 5 over Gen 4 but I might give Gen 4 a chance again and start building OU Teams and a Double Battle Team for Gen 4. It would give me another reason to play PBR again even though Gen 5 won't get it's own version of it anytime soon. Seriously Pokemon Conquest instead of PBR for Gen 5? What gives? Oh that's right a Pokemon Stadium-esque game wouldn't work on the Wii U?

Thing is that the game engine for Black/White is so much faster than Diamond/Pearl or HeartGold/SoulSilver which is why I enjoy Wi-Fi Battles in Gen 5 more than Gen 4. Wi-Fi speed is much faster, trades are much faster, and commands don't really take that long. Plus Dream World Abilities and New TM's are a nice bonus especially new Move Tutors in Black/White 2. Hopefully Gen 6 will have better Pokemon designs or at least give already existing Pokemon new Evolutions like in Gen 4 and keep the games backwards compatible like they've been doing since Gen 3.

I think it wont die out but it is definently getting less popular cause at pokemon leagues there are only like 10 people that bring yugioh and magic and dont alyways play pokemon

PokemonMaster123 said:
I think it wont die out but it is definently getting less popular cause at pokemon leagues there are only like 10 people that bring yugioh and magic and don't alyways play pokemon

I wouldn't judge too much via the TCG

Everyone's just so elitist lately with it and the metagame has gone down the drain to the point of no possible return anytime soon. People just have more sense to actually build a deck of what they like, and play with friends, as opposed to league.

Take a guess it's in Will Pokemon Die Out, as I said before the TCG is different but I will say Playing wise the TCG will die before though I don't play I just collect. Then we have to factor in other countries for instance Pokemon cards in South Korea are just getting popular again.

I dunno, I don't see the Pokemon TCG dying out anytime soon. If there's one TCG that's dying faster than a dead carcass it's Yu-Gi-Oh!. Their OP has gotten so bad over the last few years that alot of their playerbase are jumping ship over to better TCG's like Pokemon, World of Warcraft, Magic: The Gathering, and Cardfight!! Vanguard.

The Pokemon TCG will get better once Stage 2's become competitive again with hopefully some Stage 1 and 2 EX's instead of just Basics that are Legendary Pokemon. Do I see a return of balance the Pokemon TCG had with DP-On and MD-On? Hopefully but it seems like all that TPCi cares about is profit instead of the interests of the people that play their TCG.

Yu-Gi-Oh! is more elitist than Pokemon, that I garauntee...

I also miss contests. On musicals you just dress up and watch them "dance".

I'd been playing since Gen 3 and I love Gen 4. I got BW and want BW2.

My brother liked pokemon more than me during the gameboy advance saga and now is always saying that the only good ones are the Gen 1 pokemon.

I personally feel like it won't any time soon, but I wouldn't be too upset if Gen V was the last one. They've had a spectacular run as a series--games, shows, books, etc. The issue is that the series also prints money, so you can't just let it go. Fortunately after Gen I, some form of "quality control" was established and we now have an excellent track record, which set the standard for the TCG, and the anime, and the manga, and everything else. This strategy pulled together a lot of different individuals with a lot of different tastes that--fortunately--ended up overlapping, which I would imagine is why most of us here are discussing this now.
So, long story short, I think it will die, but not for a LONG time. XD

I don't think that ending the Pokemon franchise at Gen V would be beneficial in keeping the franchise going for a long time. >.< To be honest, I thouroughly enjoyed Black & White and hope they continue with that success. As has been said before me, Pokemon is one of the greatest video game based franchises in the world (second highest in terms of units sold I believe). I'd bet my money on Pokemon continuing its wonderful run for a long time!

Back