Pokemon Will Pokemon die out?

Serperior said:
The TCG will never die. The VGC may, when the people at Nintendo can't think of any new Pokemon ideas. How are they supposed to change the stats? The anime will just get annoying because there won't be any new lands to discover, or TPCi will just add onto original stuff and ruin everything.

The TCG will die before the VG, the VG has more players, while in decline, the TCG has lost players due to TPCi being total ones releasing Basic cards that are ridiculously broken. When the TCG is closed we can stop loving this...

shiwei87tan said:
i mean the original designer/artist died, and the pokemon design and plot of the show that was out after that seems to doesn't really attract younger kids to watch them especially in Singapore and Malaysia, where in the past i will see lots of kids playing with pokemon toys or games on the gameboys and nds.. but now the younger kids are no longer interested in pokemon as to them it's just a boring show while attracted to anime like one piece, hitman reborn and etc and don't find the games interesting at all or even know that the game existed since the gameboys era..
so do you guys think it will die out? maybe only the show and games will be gone except for the TCG and new pokemon will be out for the TCG without a show introduction like now.. =/
I really think pokemon will probably die out soon. I mean, not to people our ages and who like it a lot, but to the old folks and younglings. That is why we need to show and tell more younglings about pokemon, and help create a 6th generation of pokemon.

You know what really irks me about this topic? Most of it is just people whining about how bad Pokemon has gotten over the years when it really didn't get good until the second or third generation. Seriously, the first gen was probably the worst I ever played, and that wasn't until well after I was situated into Pokemon in general. A lot of the earliest stuff was crap in comparison to what came out later. Just because some of you think Pokemon's on its last legs, that doesn't mean it's true! Nintendo and other companies are good about keeping their real moneymakers alive (like it or not, that much is very true!). Zelda and Mario have been around since the 1980s and still have had new games coming out ever since. Pokemon will likely be around for at least several more years to come to and the main reason is that it has both a renewable and long-standing audience with young children who never had a real chance to play the original games and likely won't have the same negative attitude towards the newer games as someone who had played it from early, and then suddenly decided they didn't like Pokemon anymore for whatever reason. This is a cycle that most entertainment companies rely on, even if it means losing some fans along the way.

The TCG is stronger than ever tbh it is becoming increasively popular in europe especially Sweden. So will it die soon ? No not for another 8 years atleast There is problems with it but if you don't like it then why are you on this forum ?

Incinermyn said:
You know what really irks me about this topic? Most of it is just people whining about how bad Pokemon has gotten over the years when it really didn't get good until the second or third generation. Seriously, the first gen was probably the worst I ever played, and that wasn't until well after I was situated into Pokemon in general. A lot of the earliest stuff was crap in comparison to what came out later. Just because some of you think Pokemon's on its last legs, that doesn't mean it's true! Nintendo and other companies are good about keeping their real moneymakers alive (like it or not, that much is very true!). Zelda and Mario have been around since the 1980s and still have had new games coming out ever since. Pokemon will likely be around for at least several more years to come to and the main reason is that it has both a renewable and long-standing audience with young children who never had a real chance to play the original games and likely won't have the same negative attitude towards the newer games as someone who had played it from early, and then suddenly decided they didn't like Pokemon anymore for whatever reason. This is a cycle that most entertainment companies rely on, even if it means losing some fans along the way.

This.
I agree with this whole-heartedly.

What is so irking or "terrible" about new games? Especially Gen 5? If the argument is "They made a garbage bag, an ice cream cone, and a gear" then please, do not claim to know what you're talking about at all. I have seen so much hate for the newest generation, and a majority of these so called "Real fans" who are "loyal to when pokemon was good" really haven't a single bit of a clue as to what they're even talking about. Quite a few of them seem to be in this topic as well. Pokemon hasn't gotten bad, nor has it hindered your ability to use older Pokemon. Pokemon has been evolving over the years (no pun intended), It has improved, brought faster gameplay, interesting moves, and above all, much more creative designs than the previous generations before it. Sure Generation 1 is classic, but really, if Pokemon only focused on older generation pokemon and nothing new, just catering to the whining "Bawww it was better on gameboy" fans, I wouldn't enjoy Pokemon. I see nothing bad with Pokemon right now, it's much better than it was before, the only problem is clouded judgement and lack of merchandising (though Jakks has that little Monsuno scheme going on, they seem to be ignoring Pokemon's products and just going for their shamelss cash-in wannabe. ) .As for clouded judgement, I personally feel if you're claiming the newer generation pokemon designs are terrible, and you only focus on the mainstream "odd" pokemon as your argument, or you refuse to play B/W because you feel it's going to be bad, just do yourself a favour, suck it up, and give it a shot. Grasping onto a sad pride over a conceited opinion, will only make you look like a fool. Trust me, met someone who claimed to have beaten B/W twice at league, he claimed it was the worst Pokemon game. He had no clue what Servine, Hydreigon, Samurott, Haxorus, or Tepig were, and continued to lash out against those who liked B/W. Practically calling a boycott on anything B/W related. I'm serious, it was really sad.

Exactly. I won't vouge that any of the newer games are flawless, but they do show that Pokemon is far from dead. I've never had a problem with some character ideas getting recycled because a lot of game series carry things over from title-to-title while adding new stuff along the way. Furthermore, some games are hit-and-miss anyways. That doesn't mean the series is going to die just because a few games don't live up to expectations. It's just a small setback.

I was just thinking this today. I think it will last for a very long time.
Personally, I think it will die out if/when Ken Sugimori retires. His art is so iconic in the Pokemon franchise. Any other art style and it just wouldn't be Pokemon.

Bika said:
Personally, I think it will die out if/when Ken Sugimori retires. His art is so iconic in the Pokemon franchise. Any other art style and it just wouldn't be Pokemon.
I agree.

P.S. PM me if you could help me get an EPIC signature.

It's gotta be those Gen 1 purists. Gen 5 isn't even close to as terrible as they say. I think they're all just scared of change.

Honestly I bought black and white when they came out I didnt enjoy them as the older generations they are good games but I do prefer older generations. It really does depend on the person. Could you guys tell me your age im doing an experiment

Yeah I agree. It had a great storyline, and I loved the Pokemon designs, but I just prefer D/P and under.

Dragon Master Ryuuji said:
If the argument is "They made a garbage bag, an ice cream cone, and a gear" then please, do not claim to know what you're talking about at all. I have seen so much hate for the newest generation, and a majority of these so called "Real fans" who are "loyal to when pokemon was good" really haven't a single bit of a clue as to what they're even talking about.
Exactly. If people do not like where nintendo is going with pokemon, they should just stop playing. I mean, if you think you can make a better fakemon than the real pokemon let me see.

Bika said:

Thats when they hire Xous :>

AnimeUSA said:
It's gotta be those Gen 1 purists. Gen 5 isn't even close to as terrible as they say. I think they're all just scared of change.

Honestly, the Pokemon this gen weren't that bad at all. I think its that the game itself was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too easy and that the developers really tried to hold your hand through the game. You shouldn't be able to very easily beat an entire game without a Game Over, and the Pokemon franchise is sort of infamous for that. However, this was just taking it too far. Also, the evil team really wasn't that... evil. 'Free the Pokemon'? It was more contradictory than anything else. The storyline was just rather weak as well, and the ingame artwork is extremely subpar to most of the modern gaming industry. I don't see it as a bad thing, however, lots of people do. Overall, Pokemon needs to step up their game. They're running mainly off of previous fame and glory, and they need to improve on just about everything.

There is such a thing as overkill when games are designed to "step things up." That's actually warp the mistake with Gen IV commited by trying to make up for the so-called "flaws" of Gen III. To me, Gen V was an excellent break from the overzealousness of Gen IV.

saurs said:
Exactly. If people do not like where nintendo is going with pokemon, they should just stop playing. I mean, if you think you can make a better fakemon than the real pokemon let me see.

Why should this mean we stop playing ? We just believe that newer isn't always better. Like with most things originals are the best nintendo just fell overboard.

I personally did not start playing the VG until 3rd Gen and when I got around to playing the first Gen, I was like "These sprites are crap!" To me, the first gen purists are correct when saying the first gen was classic, but in terms of gameplay and graphics, how could you possibly say 3rd gen on was a fail? One "semi-important" thing didn't come along until third gen. You know what that was? Abilities, oh and berries. Vent over.

XxJKGxX said:
I personally did not start playing the VG until 3rd Gen and when I got around to playing the first Gen, I was like "These sprites are crap!" To me, the first gen purists are correct when saying the first gen was classic, but in terms of gameplay and graphics, how could you possibly say 3rd gen on was a fail? One "semi-important" thing didn't come along until third gen. You know what that was? Abilities, oh and berries. Vent over.

Aside from abilities, the third gen also brought multi-battles into play and set the standard for anything that came out afterwards. Granted, all of the games have had some drawbacks somewhere along the way, but most of the worst ones only existed early on.

I considered the second gen more or less a patched version of the first (or an expansion). The third generation games was where the Pokémon battle system had more versatility and complexity to make it a fun game. Also, this is just me, but I liked the contests they had.

Back