XY What types of new moves/move buffs/move nerfs are you hoping to see?

Bootortle

Can't wait to fill a Pokédex of more than 700
Since we're all hyped up for this with no news coming since 3 weeks ago, I want to know what everyone's hoping for new moves or buffs/nerfs of existing moves.
I would like to see a decent physical ghost move. Something with a base power somewhere around 90.
Another thing I would like is if Flatter boosted 2 stages instead of one, making it a true Swagger alternative.

What do you guys think?

We need a ton more variety of moves. Ever since the physical/special split, certain types have had way more of one than the other (usually the one they originally were to begin with). They need to make up for that big time. So make more physical Grass, Fire, Water, Psychic, and Ghost moves and more special Rock, Ground, Flying, and Fighting moves.

A bug-type equivalent to Giga Drain and Drain Punch.

More moves that clear entry hazards, but also more entry hazards.

The "permanent" weather from abilities like Sand Stream seems a little overboard while you otherwise need a whole moveslot to make just a few turns of weather. It should be the reverse, if anything; a weather move should be permanent until another is used (or a very slight chance of it clearing each turn), while a weather ability should give just a few turns of it for free.

I'd love to see a "resurrection" move that kills the user, but gives some of its remaining HP to one of your fainted pokemon. Bonus points if this were learned by any mushroom pokemon (1-up!)

A ghost move that can damage pokemon who aren't actually on the field yet (not too badly, just a little nick off a random enemy team member, perhaps as a secondary effect of another move)

Explosion deserves to be un-nerfed, I think.

Bogleech said:
A ghost move that can damage pokemon who aren't actually on the field yet (not too badly, just a little nick off a random enemy team member, perhaps as a secondary effect of another move)

Like a reverse Beat Up? That'd be awesome.

Mmmmm I like the ressurection idea. Makes itself faint and how much hp that pokemon had gets passed on to a fainted or damaged one? It would make for a crazy strategy.

I've always wanted more moves like foul play that punishes the opponent for raising there stats.

Moves that can cause status effects that are "opposite" to their types (similar to Scald + Ice Burn). One idea I had in mind:

Groundshock
15 PP
80 base power
30% chance to Paralyze the opponent

Also, a high-power Grass-type move with no drawback (e.g. Blizzard + Thunder) (except bad accuracy)
Something I have in mind:

Uproot
5 PP
120 base power
30% Flinch rate
100 acc. in Sun

Paddy185 said:
Also, a high-power Grass-type move with no drawback (e.g. Blizzard + Thunder) (except bad accuracy)
Something I have in mind:

Uproot
5 PP
120 base power
30% Flinch rate
100 acc. in Sun

Power Whip already fills that role.

Nerf Stealth Rock.

More water-type support/physical moves (I also want a new move replacing Surf, I'm tired of that old move.)

Aquapulse said:
Nerf Stealth Rock.

More water-type support/physical moves (I also want a new move replacing Surf, I'm tried of that old move.)

Stealth Rock has been around since 4th generation and has followed the same mechanic. While it is used on many competitive teams, it isn't overly powerful. It doesn't prevent a player from switching like Shadow Tag does.

Scald and Aqua Ring fill that role pretty well. The former even has a 30% burn rate while also having reasonable power. Aqua Ring heals the Pokemon who used it after each turn.

King Arceus said:
Aquapulse said:
Nerf Stealth Rock.

More water-type support/physical moves (I also want a new move replacing Surf, I'm tried of that old move.)

Stealth Rock has been around since 4th generation and has followed the same mechanic. While it is used on many competitive teams, it isn't overly powerful. It doesn't prevent a player from switching like Shadow Tag does.

Scald and Aqua Ring fill that role pretty well. The former even has a 30% burn rate while also having reasonable power. Aqua Ring heals the Pokemon who used it after each turn.

I don't like the way how players use Stealth Rock but there's nothing I can do about it except GF.

Don't get me wrong, I love Scald. It's an amazing move, same thing with Aqua Ring. I just want more support/physical moves to make my favorite type powerful and to enjoy the battles/animations.

King Arceus said:

Aquapulse does have a good point about Water needing more physical moves, though. There's only about 7 of them and half of them aren't really accessible to a lot of Water types (Crabhammer, Razor Shell, Clamp). The only real viable ones you have are Waterfall, Dive, Aqua Jet, and Aqua Tail.

Paddy185 said:
Moves that can cause status effects that are "opposite" to their types (similar to Scald + Ice Burn). One idea I had in mind:

Groundshock
15 PP
80 base power
30% chance to Paralyze the opponent
This would be perfect for Stunfisk (and a potential evolution?).

Actually, one thing I've always wanted; a move that can badly poison steel types, as if you're drilling through the steel armor to inject venom right into their innards.

And a poison-type weather effect, of course. Something like sandstorm, buffing the defense of poison types while damaging non-poisons.

Also, ultra specific, but I always want more "parasitic" themed pokemon to come out (we pretty much only have Parasect, Joltik and Eelektross so far) and always imagined a move where the pokemon disappears and "attaches" to the enemy, lowering their health every turn while one of your other pokemon comes out.

Bogleech said:
Actually, one thing I've always wanted; a move that can badly poison steel types, as if you're drilling through the steel armor to inject venom right into their innards.

And a poison-type weather effect, of course. Something like sandstorm, buffing the defense of poison types while damaging non-poisons.

Also, ultra specific, but I always want more "parasitic" themed pokemon to come out (we pretty much only have Parasect, Joltik and Eelektross so far) and always imagined a move where the pokemon disappears and "attaches" to the enemy, lowering their health every turn while one of your other pokemon comes out.

Acid rain, for example. I like that, and it should affect the steel types. They may have high defenses, but they can't defend their own interior body from getting poisoned.

Edit: Oooh, I though of another; Poison Mist. That sounds really interesting.

Bogleech said:

Yeah, they need more moves and abilities that can counter immunities. We've already got ways to counter Ghost's immunities (Foresight, Odor Sleuth, Scrappy), Flying (Gravity, Smack Down), Dark (Miracle Eye), and anything ability based (Gastro Acid, Mold Breaker, TurboBlaze, TeraVolt), next we need counters to Normal, Ground, and Steel.

Bogleech said:

Acid rain could serve that purpose.

Aquapulse said:
Acid rain, for example. I like that, and it should affect the steel types. They may have high defenses, but they can't defend their own interior body from getting poisoned.

If acid rain can affect Steel types, then other Poison moves should be retconned to do that as well, like Acid.

Fun fact: Acid and poison are polar opposites. While both are dangerous to living beings, acid is a liquid substance, while poison (actual poison, not the slang use for poison) is generally a gas. Gas cannot corrode/get through metal because laws of chemistry make it nigh impossible to get through metal. Acid can.
But moves/abilities that relate to acid should be super effective against steel. As long as poison < steel, I'm fine.

Steam Power
Ground
Special
Pwr: 70
Acc: 100
PP: 15
"A rift opens up in the ground causing trapped steam to escape. It may also leave a burn."

Aqua Slam
Water
Physical
Pwr: 100
Acc: 80
PP: 5
"User grabs hold onto the opponents and smacks them down into water."
(Think of when you jump into water from very high it can feel like hitting a wall)

Piston Punch
Normal
Physical
Pwr: 60
"A pressurized punch is delivered to the opponent. May also cause Paralysis"

Siphon
Water
Special
Pwr: 60
PP: 10
"User siphons out the opponent's energy by sucking out water from the body." - Water version of Giga Drain/Drain Punch

Tempered
Steel
Other
Raises DEF, SP.DEF, and ATK by 1 stage.

Meteor Strike
Fire
Physical
Pwr: 90
Acc: 90
PP: 10
"User summons a hail of fire. It may also burn the foe."

Bramble
Grass
Physical
Pwr: 80
"User attacks using brambles to inflict damage. It may also lower speed."

Haunted Water said:
Fun fact: Acid and poison are polar opposites. While both are dangerous to living beings, acid is a liquid substance, while poison (actual poison, not the slang use for poison) is generally a gas. Gas cannot corrode/get through metal because laws of chemistry make it nigh impossible to get through metal. Acid can.
But moves/abilities that relate to acid should be super effective against steel. As long as poison < steel, I'm fine.

Well, if you want to get that detailed, "poison" type lumps together hundreds of unrelated substances and phenomena, and being "poisoned" literally just means to have too much of any one substance for your body to handle, everything just poisons us at very different levels.

If you drank a big bottle of pure vitamin C, you would die as surely as a tablespoon of cyanide.

Poison type pretty much exists because Rule of Cool, like most things in Pokemon.

It would be neat if certain poison attacks just had a bonus "corrosive" property to get through steel, though.

I know the whole POINT of steel is to be the most defensive type, but I feel like they went a little overboard. Steel types can be a disproportionate nightmare to deal with and very centralizing.

I've always found that packing a powerful fire type is usually a must for water pokemon users. Steel isn't that strong. When it's by itself, then it's difficult. But it is usually paired with some other type.

I coul imagine and attack called "corrode" or " corrosive acid" and it's always super effective on steel types. Make it a poison type move so it works on grass too, or make it normal.

Back