XY What Do You Think of the Starters?

Water Pokémon Master

I like Pokemon more than you! :p
Webmaster
Elite Member
Advanced Member
Honestly this is the first time I have ever liked all three Starter Pokemon, and from what I'm seeing in our other threads, other people really like all three of them too. I remember with D/P, everyone hated Chimchar at first, calling it a Charmander ripoff. Then with B/W, everyone's initial reaction was absolute disgust of ALL THREE of them, especially Oshawott. (I remember saying "I can't believe what I'm seeing - they're all just so terrible.") But this time, I honestly feel all of them are well-designed. In Gen I and II, Ken Sugimori did all the Pokemon designs, and many of them were simple and basic. With Fennekin, I really feel that simplicity - she's just some sort of stylized fox and reminds me a bit of Vulpix. Froakie reminds me of a Pokemon belonging in Ruby and Sapphire for some reason, I think because of how much R/S was based on habitats and how much a frog reminds me of tropical rain forests. Whereas Bulbasaur is a frog, Froakie is a more realistic take on a frog, just like how R/S took many simple Pokemon designs from past generations and made them more complex (like with Butterfree to Beautifly). Chespin is definitely the unique one of the bunch but at least he's not ugly like Turtwig or a semi-ripoff like Snivy. He sort of seems thrown together though, kind of how I and many others felt about Oshawott's appearance at first. But at least he's smiling, which Oshawott wasn't. :)

So Froakie has a sack around its neck, Fennekin has bright fur coming out of its ears, and Chespin has some sort of grass hat (almost looks like a Slowking's Shellder attachment). Could these be the three aspects of these starters that "grow" as they evolve?

I think Chespin and Fennekin are cute and that Froakie is extremely amusing.

I'll probably pick Fennekin and Froakie when I get the games, unless I like Chespin's evolutions better.

I like Fennekin the most. It just has such a brilliant art really like a fox (and cute too). It reminds me of Vulpix a lot too.
I also like Froakie and Chespin. I will probably pick Fennekin.

Froakie is the only I will travel through France with. I just don't see the what people like about Fennekin. And to be honest Chespin is.... What? What is chespin suppose to be?!? It will be the one I will be content to ignore

I like the starter designs. Abit stun face when look at froakie. Normally I thought the frog type are like... those common types. like poliward, tympole

Am I the only one who thinks Chespin looks like Oshawott wearing a green hat?

My favorite one has to be Fennekin. It is so adorable. Hug it when sleeping...

I'm glad the majority of people like the starters.

i remember when everyone was freaking over gen 5 starters (myself included on their first evolutions).

the fox is my favorite; since its a fennec fox i'm guessing the ears are the main focus, and regulate heat like in real life.

the frog looks really odd and i really like it too. i'm interested to see how it changes.

the grass guy is pretty cute too i guess. he probably wont be used in my playthroughs but the design is decent.

Chespin reminds me too much of Oshawott...but I actually like it. Fennekin is my favorite. Please don't be Fire/Fighting. Oh dear God PLEASE.

Dat Pokémon Y Legendary. It's like a Sawsbuck Ho-Oh forme. But awesome. This might actually be really cool.

Looking at them again, (I didn't have an opinion the first time I watched it) Chespin is awesome and unless the other's evolutions are better, I'll most likely be picking it. Fennekin is decent but it doesn't necessarily look like a starter pokemon, it seems more like something you would find wild. Froakie doesn't have the same appeal to me as the other two, but at least it looks like a starter pokemon. At the least, it's a huge improvement over Gen. 5, I like them, but I do see Fennekin as clearly better than the others.

Supersei said:
Froakie is the only I will travel through France with. I just don't see the what people like about Fennekin. And to be honest Chespin is.... What? What is chespin suppose to be?!? It will be the one I will be content to ignore

You mean besides being a Porcupine/Chipmunk type Pokemon?

Knight Rider X said:
I like the starter designs. Abit stun face when look at froakie. Normally I thought the frog type are like... those common types. like poliward, tympole

Like how Squirtle being a turtle and how turtles "aren't" common?

There's only bee like 2 or 3 toad lines, so what's the problem?

Serperior said:
Chespin reminds me too much of Oshawott...but I actually like it. Fennekin is my favorite. Please don't be Fire/Fighting. Oh dear God PLEASE.

Dat Pokémon Y Legendary. It's like a Sawsbuck Ho-Oh forme. But awesome. This might actually be really cool.

You mean the X Legendary? Anyway, I like the Y Legendary, it's now my favourite Legendary. Sorry Lugia and Victini.

Anyway, Chespin stole my heart, Froakie took what was left and I don't really care for Fennekin.

to be honest i had a tough time deciding which starter to go for. since i usually only get one of the games, i'm stuck with one starter. for black and white i chose snivy, and i though for the next series if there was going to be any i wouldn't take a grass type, but chespin definitely looks intriguing to me. Fennekin looks quite feminine to me, but still looks like it has a lot of potential. Froakie amazed me to tell the truth. I actually think in the history of pokemon there hasnt been an ACTUAL frog pokemon thats been represented as well as froakie does. politoad was close but still off. Though i like all the starters, i'll still wait for the final evolutions before i take my pick! :)
Water Pokémon Master said:
Honestly this is the first time I have ever liked all three Starter Pokemon, and from what I'm seeing in our other threads, other people really like all three of them too. I remember with D/P, everyone hated Chimchar at first, calling it a Charmander ripoff. Then with B/W, everyone's initial reaction was absolute disgust of ALL THREE of them, especially Oshawott. (I remember saying "I can't believe what I'm seeing - they're all just so terrible.") But this time, I honestly feel all of them are well-designed. In Gen I and II, Ken Sugimori did all the Pokemon designs, and many of them were simple and basic. With Fennekin, I really feel that simplicity - she's just some sort of stylized fox and reminds me a bit of Vulpix. Froakie reminds me of a Pokemon belonging in Ruby and Sapphire for some reason, I think because of how much R/S was based on habitats and how much a frog reminds me of tropical rain forests. Whereas Bulbasaur is a frog, Froakie is a more realistic take on a frog, just like how R/S took many simple Pokemon designs from past generations and made them more complex (like with Butterfree to Beautifly). Chespin is definitely the unique one of the bunch but at least he's not ugly like Turtwig or a semi-ripoff like Snivy. He sort of seems thrown together though, kind of how I and many others felt about Oshawott's appearance at first. But at least he's smiling, which Oshawott wasn't. :)

So Froakie has a sack around its neck, Fennekin has bright fur coming out of its ears, and Chespin has some sort of grass hat (almost looks like a Slowking's Shellder attachment). Could these be the three aspects of these starters that "grow" as they evolve?

I tend to simply choose the water starter when a new game comes out because of, well...original habit I guess. I can remember picking the water starter on my first playthroughs dating back to Gold. This may have also been due to the fact that my brother would always pick the fire type. Either I was just trying to be similar to him or just never wanted to pick the same as him...lol.

But anyway, on the topic of the new starter Pokemon. I may be going with the water type starter once again because of the habit I've formed over the years that I just mentioned, but I also want to add that I do quite enjoy frogs and Froakie looks pretty neat so that adds a nice little bonus, hah. I do have to put in a quick mention for Fennekin though. That thing is quite honestly adorable and it'll also be a very tempting choice as a starter for me. Might even be worth ending my little habit of always choosing the water starter just to use it.

In terms of Chespin though, nothing much comes to mind. I have nothing against the design whatsoever but I think I just prefer the other two over this little guy. Seeing this news gets me kind of excited for this new generation even though my excitement for previous games has been quite low in the past. Hopefully the excitement stays and only grows from here on out. Can't wait to hear more news on these games and I'm especially eager to see what these new starters' evolution lines will be like.

Fennekin makes me happy. I always pick the Fire starter, and I love foxes, and THE FIRE STARTER IS A FOX!!11!

Chespin is meh at the moment, but it looks it will evolve into something neat. We'll see.

I'm kind of meh about Froakie to, but my mom will be happy that we finally have a cute frog Pokemon.

I actually think this might be my first Fire starter. I absolutely love all three although I wouldn't go with the froggie :p

Surprisingly, I really like them all. However, I'm a water-type lover at heart, so I definitely will pick Froakie! Froakie is such a cute name, I wonder what his type would be? Water/Fighting, Water/Grass (He's a frog after all), Water/Poison..hmm..

I usually pick the water -type starter for almost every Pokemon game, and i really like Froakie, however i think i could try using Fennekin as it's my favorite pokemon from the three starters. I'm still a bit confused about Chespin, but he looks neat.

Fennekin is really adorable. I agree with some people who said it looks like as Zorua or Vulpix, but is it really a big problem? I think it's a good think, as I also really loved both Vulpix and Growlithe from the original generation, and Pokémon like Zorua also was a member of my team, if it was possible. For me, the success of Pokémon was that most of the designs looked like as animals, so you could take care of them and you could imagine yourself as a trainer who really takes care of these "animals", trains them, befriend them, and they become an unstoppable team. So it's an obvious choice for me, even thought I also really like the design of Froakie. If it is Water/Ice type combination, I'll choose it. If not, then I'll use Fennekin.

Chespin just looks like as a guy who likes to smoke weed...even though it fits well with the grass theme. Maybe it's because of that hat, maybe it's a bit more anthropomorphic compared to the others, but it's not my cup of tea, even thought I agree that it's still superior compared to some other starters. It's still can be really awesome if it has some nice evolutions.

King Arceus said:
Am I the only one who thinks Chespin looks like Oshawott wearing a green hat?

My favorite one has to be Fennekin. It is so adorable. Hug it when sleeping...

You're not the only one. My first thought was it's a Patrat with Oshawott eyes and a green hat.

It actually looks idiotic to me (and the name is horrible), especially when you see the other two clearly superior starters.

Froakie. Great name. He's actually a great looking water type starter too (one in a long time). I just hope they don't screw up the evolutions and hopefully go in a different direction than Politoed and Seismatoad.

Fennekin is soooooo cute it's not even funny. I didn't think of Vulpix at all when I saw it. Once again, the Fire type is clearly the best. I know who I'm starting out with.

dmaster out.

All 3 look great, especially the Fire starter who looks like an awesome Fire-type Zorua! The Grass one reminds me a lot of Oshawott, who was my favorite 5th Gen starter anyway, so that's cool.

In before Fire/Fighting!

Back