What Do You Think About Vegetarianism / Veganism?

bacon

!!!!!
So I've been a herbivore for about 4 years now, still going strong. Occasionally I have dreams about demolishing buckets of KFC but I don't really think that counts.

My reasons used to be somewhat aloof, like justifying it for ethical and ecological reasons. But to be honest, I think it more boils down to "I can live without eating animals, so seems kinda dumb to kill 'em". I think a good chunk of veggies feel the same, deep down.

I'm in the process of trying to weedle milk out of my diet too. The substitutes for milk are definitely adequate to my tastes, and I don't really care for cheese unless it's on a pizza. And I think I can give up pizza. Eggs are probably the main hurdle between me and vegan super powers, I don't think I could function without eggs.

So hello there's a thread here! I guess we'll make this a place for discussing vegetarianism, if you are a veggie, if you can't comprehend a world without bacon, etc.

Frezgle

Winged Death
RE: Vegetarianism

I'm not a vegetarian because I like meat, and I imagine it'd be hard to gain weight without it. I have an overactive thyroid so my weight can drop to dangerous lows pretty quickly if I don't eat a lot of protein and whatnot.
I do feel bad about killing animals, because I love animals. I try to eat meat from humanely killed animals whenever possible, and really, some of the ways we kill them are far less brutal than how other animals would have killed them. I think a bullet-killed deer feels a little better than a deer ripped apart by wolves.
That only goes for meat though; I'm not against other animal products such as milk and eggs. Neither of these harm animals when you eat them. Milk actually needs to be taken from lactating cows/goats/etc, or else their udders get all... swollen and gross. And eggs are just that: eggs. Unfertilized, unconscious, ungodly delicious.

Also, OP, your name is 'bacon' of all things? d:

Guts

CyberPhunk

Frezgle said:
Also, OP, your name is 'bacon' of all things? d:

THAT'S THE UNGODLY IRONY OF IT

Well, put simply, I was raised on a farm, so I always though that eating animals was alright. It's not really so much "OMG I NEED STEAK AND FRIED CHICKEN ALL DAY EVERY DAY" aspect of it, rather that eating other animals is just a natural part of life. I do, however, completely respect vegetarians and vegans, they have more self-restraint and moderation than I can ever dream to have.

bacon

!!!!!

You have no idea how much I've tried to lobby a name change from "bacon" to avoid this very contradiction lol

Yeah, I imagine if those TSH levels in your blood stream are out of whack then you'll have a hard time without a strong source of protein. I know of vegetarian body builders who swear by whey protein, although the manufacturing process involves the use of rennet at some point so it's not strictly vegetarian I suppose.

Brave Vesperia

Forum Smod
Forum Super Mod
Forum Mod

I don't understand why people like being a vegetarian. I would never be able to live not eating meat, eggs, milk, etc.

To me, meat is essential for healthy growth. And I have an iron deficiency so I need to eat meat. (yes, I'm well aware a lot of veggies have iron as well, but I tend not to like most veggies)

I know killing animals is wrong, but unfortunately we need to eat them to survive. Also I kind of think killing animals as a way of controlling overpopulation.

J

Juliacoolo

I'm vegetarian, though not exactly by choice. My girlfriend, who admittedly does most of the grocery shopping, has forcefully pruned my eating habits to exclude all that is delicious 'unhealthy'. I still eat fish, and occasionally eat meat when she's not around, but for the most part eat a vegetarian diet. At first it was difficult, as I felt as though none of the food I was eating was satisfying my hunger. Now I feel much more energetic, much happier, and significantly healthier.

bacon

!!!!!

If you have an iron deficiency then yeah I'd say it's probably better to stick to the red meat. Only you can judge that for certain though. It's totally possible for most people to do without, though. In fact vegetarians tend to have a longer life span, although this statistic may be skewed by the fact that healthy people are more likely to try out vegetarian lifestyles than unhealthy people.

Overpopulation is a potential issue when meat is derived from wild animals, but of course most meat is sourced from domesticated livestock. :p

Haunted Water

DEFT Lunar

To be a vegetarian, imo, I'd have to have an entirely different metabolism. Since I burn calories like fire burns paper, I need the proteins from meat more than anything.
For some people, vegetarianism works. For others, it's nearly impossible.

Salamencetrainer34

I am out of smash codes.

I like meat, and can't live without it. And honestly, if you are vegetarian, I don't care and won't think different. As long as when I'm eating some meat, you won't harass me. As I won't harass you for eating non-meat products.

Pineapple X

former local demigod

NO WORLD WITHOUT BACON. :3 See wat I did there bwahaha.

To me, eating meat is just fine. IMO the idea of animals just being raised to be killed is kind of... well, cruel, but yeah, it's just fine to me when I think they just mighta lived a nice life.

I have been thinking about becoming a vegetarian, but my liking scale of veggies is not that big, so I decided to stay with my beloved bacon. See wat I did thear again bwahaha.

r3skyline

UAV MECHANIC
RE: What do you think about Vegetarianism?

Man I dont know how you vegetarians do it. I need my protein

ChiefLittleFish

Given Up on Collecting the TCG

I would do almost anything for meat. I like my vegetables, but meat is how I like my diet. Seafood is also good, although my sisters have decided to boycott that because they 'love the ocean'.

PDC

The PDC Show comes to an abrupt end...

bacon = meat

bacon = vegetarian

You are the biggest hypocrite I have ever seen. Go back to scampy.

le Roi-Soleil

PokéBeach Staff Alumnus

The definition of a vegetarian, as read from a health and physical fitness textbook, is, quite simply, "not eating meat, or rarely eating meat." Veganism, on the other hand, is strictly adhering to the "eat nothing from animals" rule. We really need to remember these definitions.

I have been shifting around, and I rarely eat meat, but my family sort of forces it upon me; technically, I am a vegetarian. They won't cater to my wishful diet, so I do eat meat occasionally. When I am old enough to leave, however, I plan to pursue strict veganism because, well, I am a huge animal rights activist. Any meat that I do eat, I make sure that it was killed humanely and that it lived in rather nice conditions and that they were raised in a cruelty-free environment.

It's not that hard, really, if you have the will to do it. I tried it, and it was great, then my family came down on me. Sigh. If you're so concerned about protein, why don't you just try protein powder or pills?

LiepardTrainer

PokeMustelid fan too

I don't mind vegetarians, I respect their choice in food - as long as they don't try to convince me to be one.

I don't mind eating my vegetables and fruits, I'll eat them for the health benefits, but It must (at least for me) include a nice portion of meat along side, other wise I won't eat it.

Me, I'm a proud carnivore - I always have to have meat with every meal. My doctors keep trying to convince me to go vegan, but I cannot imagine myself being one.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder

I respect the fact that some people would want to do something like that, but I don't think anyone should be forced to be vegetarian.

Elite Stride

♫ I'm on the road to Viridian City ♫

My University is all vegetarian, and so when I lived there last year, I effectively became fully vegetarian (at least jsut for the school year). TBH I really love a lot of veggie foods, and although I'm not a vegetarian, I prefer some veggie foods over the real stuff. For example, beef hot dogs make me completely and utterly sick to my stomach, but I love the vegetarian hot dogs. When it comes to hamburgers, it's the total opposite.

Although I have to say that A LOT of vegetarian food is no better than real meat. It's loaded with sodium and lacking nutrients. Going further, I think the chore of trying to be vegan doesn't really value out in the end. I mean, I know people who's lives have been better after switching to veganism, but I just think that by the time your done with all the alternative cooking and stuff you're not much better off than simply eating a nice lean breast of chicken or something. This may just be a misconception, but the vegans I know literally spend all their spare time trying to eat properly. Personally I don't have the time to be thinking about how to eat all the time.

Brave Vesperia

Forum Smod
Forum Super Mod
Forum Mod

Dustin DeVine said:
Sigh. If you're so concerned about protein, why don't you just try protein powder or pills?

I do have iron protein pills, but I have trouble getting them down my throat because they're so big and my throat is so small.

Also, I apologize if my comments earlier sounded rude. They weren't supposed to be and I also respect vegetarians right to be a vegetarian.

bacon

!!!!!

LiepardTrainer said:
Me, I'm a proud carnivore - I always have to have meat with every meal. My doctors keep trying to convince me to go vegan, but I cannot imagine myself being one.

That's unusual. Are you sure they're not simply suggesting you cut back on the red meat?

LiepardTrainer

PokeMustelid fan too

bacon said:
LiepardTrainer said:

That's unusual. Are you sure they're not simply suggesting you cut back on the red meat?

Maybe that, unless I misunderstood the doctor, I know that its hard to cut back on red meat, its sort of impossible for me to do that.