What Do You Think About Vegetarianism / Veganism?

RE: What do you think about Vegetarianism?

There's nothing wrong with hunting anyways. It only becomes a problem when the animal population faces a serious concern such as extinction. Besides, it's not like you can go out there and shoot every animal that moves. Certain sanctions are usually in place in most locations where you can only hunt certain animals (usually abundant and of no concern if a few are hunted per area) at certain times of the year. For some animals, hunting them is actually a need. See the White-tailed deer, who has very few natural predators in some places and causes forest degradation and motor vehicle collisions. Hunting helps keep the species in check, thus somewhat alleviating the problems.

The entire sport of hunting isn't even about the need to "kill" (anyone who's in it for that deserves help). It's always about marksmanship, tracking, trophy hunting, food, etc, and when they do shoot the target, they usually find it and quickly put an end to any possible suffering. The animal is not wasted as all parts are used (head, fur, meat, even paws and tail). In no way am I saying it's okay to go shoot up some critters, but I'm also not agreeing with the logic that every wildlife animal needs to be treated like a household pet. Hunting is a sport (and even necessity in some parts of the world) that's been around forever. It didn't die out after the evolution of modern agriculture, and it certainly won't die out now.

You, sir, have a pretty good point. :D Though for some people, even the thought of the animal not being wasted is not enough. I'm not exactly a person with the strongest opinion on this subject, but I kinda do think the same way as this "some people" I mentioned earlier.

I do think that hunting animals is quite cruel. But,
unsheathed said:
It's always about marksmanship, tracking, trophy hunting, food, etc, and when they do shoot the target, they usually find it and quickly put an end to any possible suffering.
That is true almost true. I'm sure there are people who hunt for just enjoying the kill, but they're insane. I think that is wrong. But if you hunt for those things unsheathed mentioned earlier, I'm pretty cool with that.

Btw, did my message even have a proper point? xD

I don't know how you Vegans do it. It's kind of odd how humans have a choice, I mean like, Lions don't have a choice. They have to eat meat or they die. Same with cows if they don't eat greens they die. I guess I just don't understand because I'm not a strict vegetarian. I thought humans were made to be omnivores, not herbivores or carnivores. It's just weird to me. (I hope I didn't offend any vegans/vegetarians, it's just my opinion.)

Here is my opinion.
Meat has always been eaten. That's just how it is. Vegetarianism is alright with me, it's your own decision as to what you eat or don't eat. There is at the same time nothing wrong with being omnivorous. It's what humans have always done and it's what many land animals have always done as well.

And will also be deprived of certain proteins that are found exclusively in meat. Note: These proteins also help create amino acids, so it's difficult to cope.

One thing about life: Nothing is ever too good to be true.

Implying that meat production companies won't freeze the extra meat and stockpile it, or cut back on production and thus cut jobs. That's certainly a better option for them than shipping it out to "stop world hunger", which nets no money.

Also implying Americans actually care.

So yesterday, I accidently purchased a chicken pizza.

The pizza packaging had no indication that any meat was contained within (and I check these.things pretty thoroughly), and the chicken was as pale as the cheese so I didn't spot it. But sure enough, once I cooked it, there was definitely dead bird on my delicious pizza.

Now here's the thing. I ate the pizza, chicken and all, because otherwise it's a waste of food (nobody was around to share it with). And I figure if the chicken's already died, may as well make sure it didn't die for nothing.

I'm wondering if other vegetarians would do the same in my situation?

bacon said:

The pizza packaging had no indication that any meat was contained within (and I check these.things pretty thoroughly), and the chicken was as pale as the cheese so I didn't spot it. But sure enough, once I cooked it, there was definitely dead bird on my delicious pizza.

Now here's the thing. I ate the pizza, chicken and all, because otherwise it's a waste of food (nobody was around to share it with). And I figure if the chicken's already died, may as well make sure it didn't die for nothing.

Once again, friend, the technical definition of a vegetarian is an individual who does not eat meat or rarely eats meat. I would have done the same thing, for I hate to see precious things go to waste. The poor chicken died, and I would not want it to have died in vain. If you wouldn't have eaten it, it would have been killed uselessly.

I am curious; What do the vegetarians think about synthetic meat?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-23576143
http://www.theguardian.com/science/2013/aug/05/world-first-synthetic-hamburger-mouth-feel

Colress said:
Once again, friend, the technical definition of a vegetarian is an individual who does not eat meat or rarely eats meat.

''veg·e·tar·i·an
/ˌvejiˈte(ə)rēən/

Noun
A person who does not eat meat, and sometimes other animal products, esp. for moral, religious, or health reasons.''

Well, I am pescevegetarian if that count XD, ever since I have had a lot more energy and feel and fell a whole lot better (cant drink milk, hard to give up eggs) but in the long run I think vegetarianism is great :3

Pokequaza said:
I am curious; What do the vegetarians think about synthetic meat?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-23576143
http://www.theguardian.com/science/2013/aug/05/world-first-synthetic-hamburger-mouth-feel

Colress said:
Once again, friend, the technical definition of a vegetarian is an individual who does not eat meat or rarely eats meat.

''veg·e·tar·i·an
/ˌvejiˈte(ə)rēən/

Noun
A person who does not eat meat, and sometimes other animal products, esp. for moral, religious, or health reasons.''
My definition was from my health and physical fitness textbook, which is one of the most modern textbooks regarding the respective subject.

Synthetic meat is absolutely horrendous, in my honest opinion. It tastes horrid.

Colress said:
Synthetic meat is absolutely horrendous, in my honest opinion. It tastes horrid.

You've tasted the world's first lab-grown meat? ;p

I guess you probably meant stuff like soy meat and fake bacon (fakeon!), but they're actually working on making meat now that is functionally and physically the same as real meat, but it's grown outside of an animal using adult stem cells and other junk that can be taken from animals without killing them. I think it's a great endeavor, even if currently it's still expensive and tastes a little funky.

Colress said:
According to Yale,
Yale said:
Vegetarianism has the power to solve the world hunger crisis. If Americans were to reduce their meat consumption by only 10%, every one of the 60 million human beings that starve to death on this planet would be adequately fed.
Source: http://www.yale.edu/ycvs/10reasons.html

Every one of the 60 million human beings that starve to death on this planet could be adequately fed. There's absolutely no chance that all of them, or even a large portion of them would.

bacon said:

I would kill a chicken and roast it myself if I could get away with it

I might have done the same. I wouldn't have had a problem with eating it, but might have just picked it off anyway.

I can always feed the chicken to the ducks in my pond anyway.

I was vegan for a little over a year, and I've had moments where I forgot to check a label or two and just went with it. I dont really see a problem with it. I was never a vegan nazi and shunned anyone who didnt share my ideals. I do miss being vegan though, it got expensive and I got unhealthy fast. I know you can do it without spending tons of money and I know plenty of people who led a healthy life doing it, but at the time, I was lifting weights heavily and had to choice between a vegan diet and a muscle building diet. Eventually, being vegan led to me not getting enough nutrients and protein I needed for good muscle growth, so I had to give it up.

Frezgle said:
Colress said:

You've tasted the world's first lab-grown meat? ;p

I guess you probably meant stuff like soy meat and fake bacon (fakeon!), but they're actually working on making meat now that is functionally and physically the same as real meat, but it's grown outside of an animal using adult stem cells and other junk that can be taken from animals without killing them. I think it's a great endeavor, even if currently it's still expensive and tastes a little funky.

Oh, we're talking about that; I thought we were referring to the above items you listed.

I see no problem with it. It's not killing an animal, so why not?

sloR3X said:
I was vegan for a little over a year, and I've had moments where I forgot to check a label or two and just went with it. I dont really see a problem with it. I was never a vegan nazi and shunned anyone who didnt share my ideals. I do miss being vegan though, it got expensive and I got unhealthy fast. I know you can do it without spending tons of money and I know plenty of people who led a healthy life doing it, but at the time, I was lifting weights heavily and had to choice between a vegan diet and a muscle building diet. Eventually, being vegan led to me not getting enough nutrients and protein I needed for good muscle growth, so I had to give it up.

Yeah. The funny thing about vegetarians/vegans is that a lot of people see it as a sort of... binary lifestyle? Like you're either a vegetarian, or a fully fledged meat eater. Really, what should be important is minimizing your meat consumption to as low as you need it to be in order to function. That number doesn't have to approach zero, and it shouldn't mean that it's the end of the world if animal products accidentally slip into your stomach (gelatin has caught me out so many times).

Trying to muscle build and becoming a vegan at the same time though? Damn son!

Re: RE: What do you think about Vegetarianism?

bacon said:
Yeah. The funny thing about vegetarians/vegans is that a lot of people see it as a sort of... binary lifestyle? Like you're either a vegetarian, or a fully fledged meat eater. Really, what should be important is minimizing your meat consumption to as low as you need it to be in order to function. That number doesn't have to approach zero, and it shouldn't mean that it's the end of the world if animal products accidentally slip into your stomach (gelatin has caught me out so many times).

Trying to muscle build and becoming a vegan at the same time though? Damn son!

Yeah, it was tough, and I did it for awhile. But in the end wasn't getting what I needed. So that diet had to change. I should get back into it now that my diet has changed once again and is more n the strict side.

There is a vegan cafe down the street from work that I went to a few times this week for lunch. The food is great, surprisingly, but it's extremely expensive which really sucks! Not as good as say, a real burger or something, but I certainly feel better about myself after eating that instead, lol. I think I'll be a regular at this place for lunch more often. They also have delicious fruit smoothies.

Re: RE: What do you think about Vegetarianism?

Elite Stride said:
There is a vegan cafe down the street from work that I went to a few times this week for lunch. The food is great, surprisingly, but it's extremely expensive which really sucks! Not as good as say, a real burger or something, but I certainly feel better about myself after eating that instead, lol. I think I'll be a regular at this place for lunch more often. They also have delicious fruit smoothies.

I love vegan cuisine, but like you said, it's expensive. I guess now I could probably enjoy it much more as I'm not longer trying to bulk up.

Back