What Do You Think About Vegetarianism / Veganism?

RE: What do you think about Vegetarianism?

bacon said:
I'm in the process of trying to weedle milk out of my diet too. The substitutes for milk are definitely adequate to my tastes, and I don't really care for cheese unless it's on a pizza. And I think I can give up pizza. Eggs are probably the main hurdle between me and vegan super powers, I don't think I could function without eggs.

Can you explain why you can't drink milk, isn't that why it is there? Is it just because it comes from an animal?

I like veggie meat, but I have to salute those pure vegetarians because even if I like these veggie meats, I can't live without the real red meat like steak. XD

Trainerhan1 said:
bacon said:
I'm in the process of trying to weedle milk out of my diet too. The substitutes for milk are definitely adequate to my tastes, and I don't really care for cheese unless it's on a pizza. And I think I can give up pizza. Eggs are probably the main hurdle between me and vegan super powers, I don't think I could function without eggs.

Can you explain why you can't drink milk, isn't that why it is there? Is it just because it comes from an animal?

Vegans (as opposed to vegetarians) don't eat *anything* that comes from an animal: no milk, no honey, no dairy, no eggs.

I was vegetarian for a numbers of years when I lived with my then-fiancé, since he was too and it was easier for cooking. I did have to take iron supplement pills, though. I swapped back to eating meat when we broke up and I moved back home, again for convenience more or less.

I do like a lot of vegetarian foods (especially these soy chicken strips that I used to get in the US...), but meat is fine and just works so much better for my body.

I love meat too much to let go. ;n;
I also have a "psuedo" vegetarian girlfriend, she means that if she could eat tacos without meat, she'd be vegetarian.

However, I can't really see how someone can live without meat, but I fully respect vegetarians and vegans. However, vegans and vegetarians that mean I should turn myself to vegetarianism pisses me off. Meat-lovers that tries to make vegetarians and vegans to meat-lovers also piss me off, though.

Trainerhan1 said:

It's "there" because a demand for it exists from the general public. But this does not entail that I must drink it. :p

I can substitute regular milk for soy milk with no real consqeuence to my lifestyle. Soy milk is largely considered to be less resource intensive, so it's logical for me to make the switch.

The internet is littered with articles on this, but most seem to reference the following study:

http://www.organicvalley.coop/fileadmin/pdf/ENERGY_SSR.pdf

bacon said:
Trainerhan1 said:

It's "there" because a demand for it exists from the general public. But this does not entail that I must drink it. :p

I can substitute regular milk for soy milk with no real consqeuence to my lifestyle. Soy milk is largely considered to be less resource intensive, so it's logical for me to make the switch.

The internet is littered with articles on this, but most seem to reference the following study:

http://www.organicvalley.coop/fileadmin/pdf/ENERGY_SSR.pdf

iirc, too much soymilk becomes detrimental to your reproductive system. So yeah, there is that.

Although, I do see what you mean. Soymilk tastes waaaaaaay much better than real milk.

@ bacon, Of coarse no one is forced to drink anything, but by "there" I meant existing which it does naturally without hurting any animals.

Dustin DeVine said:
Sigh. If you're so concerned about protein, why don't you just try protein powder or pills?

Because with any type of protein replacement. It acts very quickly and very shortly. Real food/meat burns over time and gives the body the nutrients it needs a lot slower and better.

As always, real food > any replacement.

Brave Vesperia said:
Dustin DeVine said:
Sigh. If you're so concerned about protein, why don't you just try protein powder or pills?

I do have iron protein pills, but I have trouble getting them down my throat because they're so big and my throat is so small.

Also, I apologize if my comments earlier sounded rude. They weren't supposed to be and I also respect vegetarians right to be a vegetarian.

Drink more water.

Dustin DeVine said:
The definition of a vegetarian, as read from a health and physical fitness textbook, is, quite simply, "not eating meat, or rarely eating meat." Veganism, on the other hand, is strictly adhering to the "eat nothing from animals" rule. We really need to remember these definitions.

I have been shifting around, and I rarely eat meat, but my family sort of forces it upon me; technically, I am a vegetarian. They won't cater to my wishful diet, so I do eat meat occasionally. When I am old enough to leave, however, I plan to pursue strict veganism because, well, I am a huge animal rights activist. Any meat that I do eat, I make sure that it was killed humanely and that it lived in rather nice conditions and that they were raised in a cruelty-free environment.

It's not that hard, really, if you have the will to do it. I tried it, and it was great, then my family came down on me. Sigh. If you're so concerned about protein, why don't you just try protein powder or pills?

The problem with pill or protein powder is that they are not coupled with other organic material that aids in proper and efficient absorption of those vitamins. Synthesized pills dont work as well to provide adequate vitamins and minerals as real, organic food. That isnt to say that its a poor substitution, though. I think its fine to be a vegetarian as long as you are able to keep a healthy diet to replace what is lost from the lack of meat. Now, I should also note that just because someone eats meat doesnt mean they are healthy about their diet.

However, I do find the fake meat to be a bit offputting. Too many substitutions just brings to mind all the chemicals and such that were probably used to create the products. I admittedly think Veganism is a bit odd, though. I'm not judging anyone, but I think the idea of it is weird since humans are omnivores.

Also, whoever mentioned killing animals to be wrong before didnt click with me. The conditions in which they were raised prior to and including the methods of killing may be wrong, but killing animals for food isnt inherently wrong. I'll never understand the thrill of hunting though. I think its kind of sick to get pleasure out of killing another animal for the sake of killing it. I know many people eat their kills, but I cant say those same people are exited to kill for the sake of eating it. They are exited to kill, well, just to kill something.

Kill, kill, kill. I said kill about a million times in that last sentence!

Now now. Don't dring morality of hunters into this. This is about vegetarianism, not about complaining about obvious stereotypes.

Haunted Water said:
Now now. Don't dring morality of hunters into this. This is about vegetarianism, not about complaining about obvious stereotypes.

Most of my post was not about hunting.

Well, you still basically said hunters go out to kill just to kill. I'm a sociopath when I'm plotting, not hunting. Please, get it right.
For the record, I support the DNRE, and also support vegetarianism, as it is a very brave thing to undertake, imo. Branding hunters as meat-crazed, carnivorous monsters who kill for fun is a generalization.
And I'm out.

Haunted Water said:

This is to be expected in a discussion regarding vegetarianism. I live in the south... The deeeeeep south... and MANY people kill animals for enjoyment; just the sheer pleasure of killing something is good enough for them. One of these monstrous beings murdered one of my babies (dogs), after he got out, and my father and stepmother watched it happen, as he was helplessly run over by a psychopath. This man killed this poor animal knowingly, and it was not an accident. He was in a huge ass truck, and when my dog was running back inside, this hideous man sped up, and murdered my dog.

Of course, this has nothing to do with eating animals, but killing them just to kill them, certainly needs to be discussed.

Dustin DeVine said:
I live in the south... The deeeeeep south... and MANY people kill animals for enjoyment; just the sheer pleasure of killing something is good enough for them. One of these monstrous beings murdered one of my babies (dogs), after he got out, and my father and stepmother watched it happen, as he was helplessly run over by a psychopath. This man killed this poor animal knowingly, and it was not an accident. He was in a huge ass truck, and when my dog was running back inside, this hideous man sped up, and murdered my dog.

Of course, this has nothing to do with eating animals, but killing them just to kill them, certainly needs to be discussed.

That... it's just... ew. Poor little animal. :(

It's things like that, just killing animals for fun, that make me think about actually becoming a vegetarian. Poor animals could have a long, happy life, but them being slaughtered in a cruel way... Even thinking about it makes me quite sad. That's why while eating meat, I try to think that the animals lived a good life. I mean, I know people usually don't eat, for example, dogs, but really, an animal being raised to be killed is a horrible thing and it happens too much in the modern world.

Btw, what do you think about my new avatar? I know that's kinda off topic though. xD

I've always been a vegan, so I guess it's built into my system. I don't detest people eating meat, but some food industries go to the far ends of being inhumane to "produce" food. There are several documentaries regarding this topic.

I'm a vegetarian because I can do fine without meat (meat includes fish for me, some people for some reason think otherwise), and I don't want to pointlessly hurt other animals.

I think it's strange if people try to convince other people to adapt their moral/ethical/other points of view, and not only regarding vegetarianism, but also religion, abortion, endless list. We all make our own choices and live by what we choose to. We'll have to accept that in this world, although it might be "unfair". You wouldn't throw yourself in front of a lion (or animals which can live on both meat and plants) and tell them to try a salad instead. If you accept that animals have the right to make their own decisions, why would you not feel the same about humans? If you're for equal rights for humans and animals, it would make more sense to bother all carnivores with whatever you're trying to do.. although I think that would be strange as well..

I think the culture where I live is very different from in the USA. People don't often put effort into trying to convince others of their own point of view and we don't have organizations like PETA (if there are they get VERY little attention) or organizations that promote moral views. Our views are our own and people generally (of course there are exceptions) let each other be and accept each other. Our moral/ethical views don't affect how people threat each other much. I'm not sure about how it is in the USA, but from what I hear from the people there is that they are much more actively trying to get involved with how other people live their lives.

I'm not trying to bash on the USA or the Netherlands, I am simply noting that it is very different and that these topics don't get much public attention here.

DineshThePoet said:
I've always been a vegan, so I guess it's built into my system. I don't detest people eating meat, but some food industries go to the far ends of being inhumane to "produce" food. There are several documentaries regarding this topic.

That's interesting, how far back does "always" go if you don't mind me asking?

Imagine a predator like a lion wolf showing remorse, they would be the first ones to die in the pack. This is what I think about it. It just doesn't feel natural for me, but I still respect other peoples decisions. Cutting meat from the diet does remove a lot of iron from your diet though.

Also you don't get to enjoy delicious bacon! Animal loving suckers!

The Fire Wyrm said:
Imagine a predator like a lion wolf showing remorse, they would be the first ones to die in the pack. This is what I think about it. It just doesn't feel natural for me, but I still respect other peoples decisions. Cutting meat from the diet does remove a lot of iron from your diet though.

Also you don't get to enjoy delicious bacon! Animal loving suckers!

...but we, in a civilized society, will not be the "first to die in the pack" for showing remorse and compassion. We are not a lion, and we are not a wolf. We are in absolutely no competition with animals, really, that is, unless you live in the middle of Africa or if you are located in a remote region. This example is highly illogical by today's standards, and quite frankly, I just do not see the correlation. This would apply to humans three thousand years ago, maybe, but absolutely none of this even remotely relates to our modern day society.

Well, many things are built into human nature, forged from millions of years of evolution. The instictive lust for meat is just one of these, and a comparitively small one. These ancient urges are no longer as suited for the radically different environments we have crafted in the last few millenia, but old habits die hard.

It's not logical, but humans don't function only on logic. We're built on emotion, instinct and reflex. You have to understand that about people before convincing them that letting go of the habits of eons is a good idea lol

Back