XY What Cool New Pokémon / Evolution Do You Want to See in the 6th Generation?

RE: What cool new Pokemon do you want to see in the 6th generation?

^Shuckle is an invertebrate. How the hell would it turn into a Tortoise???

Also, most people may think Magmortar, Electivire and Rhyperior were unnecessary but the fact is that Magmar and Electabuzz's stats were becoming mediocre (they were never that great IMO) due to the power creep, and Magmortar/Electivire "gave" them the boost they needed...
Plus, I view all those evos from Gen 4 as a way to revisit the older pokémon (specially those from gen 1)...
I also happen to think they look cooler than their pre-evos. I mean, Magmortar may not be the most beautiful thing but its arms are Fire cannons! How can't that be cool? I've always wanted something like that in Pokémon...
And Rhyperior... Sure, it wasn't really that necessary but that Protector armor made Rhydon's coolness factor rise exponentially... Rhyperior doesn't look nearly as bland as Rhydon... It has to be one of the coolest things they ever did as a Pokémon... Of course, this is my opinion... I prefer more detailed designs over blander designs... Hence why I like Gen 4 with all its evos of previous pokémon and complex legendaries that people are constantly bashing...

Metalizard said:

Maybe just like a bunch of eggs turning into a palm tree, fish or a shell turning into sea serpents or an otter turning into a sea lion?
I think Shuckle is based on some kind of endolith, but also strongly resembles a tortoise. I could actually see an evo furthering this tortoise motif.

I always thought the most likely basis for Shuckle was a scale insect.

fig_wax_scale01.jpg

They're common pests of almost all plants, related to aphids, but the adult is just a squishy, nearly limbless thing inside a thick, tough, secreted shell, attached in place like a barnacle. Just as shuckle produces "potions" in its shell as it feeds, scale insects excrete waste in the form of sugary honeydew, with ants and other insects can become hooked on, developing a symbiosis with the scales.

Shuckle's Japanese name, however, also seems to be a play on "barnacle," which of course is a marine crustacean, and when brought over to pal park, shuckles would actually only appear in the seawater area.

Fennex said:
Metalizard said:

Maybe just like a bunch of eggs turning into a palm tree, fish or a shell turning into sea serpents or an otter turning into a sea lion?
I think Shuckle is based on some kind of endolith, but also strongly resembles a tortoise. I could actually see an evo furthering this tortoise motif.

Like, Exeggcute, despite the name and appearance, are actually more like plant seeds...
Magikarp into Gyarados is already a known story. Based on the legend that a karp that would leap through the dragon gate would become a dragon (or something like that). If you're also talking about Feebas, Milotic is actually based on a species of fish.
And there are indeed a lot of pokémon that are one animal species and then evolve into a different one, but it's usually related animals (Wingull -> Pelipper or Oshawott like you said)...
Going from a vertebrate to an invertebrate is a big of stretch though...

But I admit you have an excuse for thinking that. There's:
Remoraid -> Octillery
Clamperl -> Huntail/Gorebys

Though, it seems they always do those weird evos to fish pokémon...

Metalizard said:
Like, Exeggcute, despite the name and appearance, are actually more like plant seeds...
Magikarp into Gyarados is already a known story. Based on the legend that a karp that would leap through the dragon gate would become a dragon (or something like that). If you're also talking about Feebas, Milotic is actually based on a species of fish.
And there are indeed a lot of pokémon that are one animal species and then evolve into a different one, but it's usually related animals (Wingull -> Pelipper or Oshawott like you said)...

Remoraid -> Octillery

Remoraid is based on a firearm, Octillery a tank.
Clamperl is probably a combination of a pearl and roe, inside a clam though.

Metalizard said:
Fennex said:

Remoraid -> Octillery

Well, OK, I never heard of this myth of a karp leaping through a dragon gate to become a dragon itself. That might be an interesting explanation of the big differences between Magikarp and Gyarados. As for Exeggcute, I don't agree here, as it's actually the Egg Pokemon and even the Pokedex refers to the individuals as eggs and not seeds (even the yolk of the broken one is visible), though you might argue that they have the same function as plant seeds.

The RL species a Pokemon is based on can more or less differ from the base of its pre-evo. While in most cases both RL species are within the same Family or at least the same Order of species, there are some exceptions. As I can't say what species Shuckle is based on exactly (some aspects probably come from these scale insects Bogleech posted; but I see attributes of an endolithic species and the overall-appearance of a tortoise, too), a tortoise-like evo of Shuckle might differ too much or not.

However, I think the whole Shuckle evo went a bit off course. It was meant as an example for a Pokemon I'd like to see obtaining an evo in 6th Gen, because it's IMO one of those Pokemon that easily pass out of mind and extremely rarely made it into a player's party. The same goes for Qwilfish, Dunsparce, Spinda, Chatot and others.
An evolution might dust them off, so it becomes worth training them.

BTW, Qwilfish might indeed be a candidate for "those weird fish pokémon evos" ;)

Pokequaza said:

That is conceptually. Biologically, it doesn't make sense for a fish to evolve into an octopus.

Also, in the case of Clamperl, the fish I was refering to, were Huntail and Gorebyss, not Clamperl. I know very well that Clamperl is not a fish...

Metalizard said:
Pokequaza said:

That is conceptually. Biologically, it doesn't make sense for a fish to evolve into an octopus.

Also, in the case of Clamperl, the fish I was refering to, were Huntail and Gorebyss, not Clamperl. I know very well that Clamperl is not a fish...

I never said that either. The head itself might be based on roe, explaining why it evolves into a fish.

As for Remoraid and Octillery, they are indeed not biologically related, the concept behind them relates them, however I did not know that the you were referring to those who do relate to each other solely in a biological way.

Not only is Clamperl a clam that evolves into one of two aquatic vertebrates, but they aren't even vaguely related vertebrates; huntail is a gulper eel, a bony fish in its own family, and gorebyss is a chimaera, a cartilaginous animal related to sharks. That's a bigger biological difference than a reptile and a mammal.

The land equivalent would be a snail with a branching evolution into either a snake or a bat.

Bogleech said:
Not only is Clamperl a clam that evolves into one of two aquatic vertebrates, but they aren't even vaguely related vertebrates; huntail is a gulper eel, a bony fish in its own family, and gorebyss is a chimaera, a cartilaginous animal related to sharks. That's a bigger biological difference than a reptile and a mammal.

The land equivalent would be a snail with a branching evolution into either a snake or a bat.

Gorebyss looks more like a pipefish, as it has no visible pectoral fin, and even its dorsal and pelvic fin are questionable. Also, they both have a tiny and long mouth, and an eel-like body, and that is all there is.

medium.jpg

chimaera.jpg

How does Gorebyss look more like a pipefish than this?

The entire reason Gorebyss and Huntail are counterparts is because both gulper eels and chimaera are associated with the deep-sea abyss. They even evolve with the "deep sea scale" and "deep sea tooth." :)

I would like to see an electric-type based off old vector graphics.

That would actually be really cool. Why should Porygon be the only "virtual" pokemon? A two dimensional pixelated pokemon would be really fun too.

Bogleech said:
That would actually be really cool. Why should Porygon be the only "virtual" pokemon? A two dimensional pixelated pokemon would be really fun too.
well, since gen 6 is going to be all about showing off the 3DS, I'd expect something more along the lines of a cluster of floating cubes that periodically re-arranges itself into various simple 3D structures (possibly based off animals)

beaulier said:
wolfman967 said:
Whats a curupira? Just curious. Ive never heard of it.

A spirit of the forest that protects the animals. Its feet are backwards. It could be a ghost/grass type :)

Well isn't Celibi basically a spirit of the forest (I know its not a ghost type but still...)

Robot said:
I always liked the idea of a Water/Ghost Pokemon. It would be, well, a ghost-ship. Like a wrecked, transparent, green-glowing, pirate ship. A Bug/Electric firefly/lightning bug would be cool too. Maybe we could also get a little cloud that evolves into a big storm cloud and then a giant hurricane? It seems very Pokemon-like. I think a leafy sea dragon Pokemon would also be very cool.

Water/Ghost = Jellicent

Well, that is somewhat true.
Speaking of ghosts have backwards facing feet, vote one for a pokemon related to the Pret! Ghost/Fighting ftw.

Steel and Ghost would be awesome, but Steel and Poison too would be aesome in my opinion.

I think we will be more likely to get a Ground type Eeveelution if Sylveon is, in fact, Flying type.
I wonder if that is what is behind the question mark in the image we received today?

^I wouldn't mind a Ground Eeveelution; it rounds out the environments/elements that Eevee uses to evolve.
Plus, if Sylveon is a Flying type, there will most likely be another.

Another thing, I really want a Poison/Psychic Pokemon. I don't care what it's design is, or what BST it has, I just want that typing.

Back