Finished Werewolf XXX: Future in Stasis - GAME OVER! Town Wins! Now w/ Postgame analysis!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Postgame 1 - Game and Set-up

J50S0Xo.png

Welcome to the postgame! This is going to be long, so I divided it into two posts. The first one will be about the game and set-up, while the second post will deal with individual player analysis.

Links to QT:
Villains' Lair - scum team QT
Spacial Rift - dead QT/graveyard

Documents:
Roles
Mystery Dungeon

OVERALL

I think the game turned out well, and the issues were very few, whether game-related or not. I’m glad that the activity was maintained all throughout (I didn’t have to modkill anyone for having no posts at all!); IE and SilverSilent came to me when they realized they couldn’t keep up the activity and asked to be subbed out rather than letting their role be wasted on a modkill, which I’m glad for. Thanks to all the players!

Game-wise, I think the town won this one through cooperation and a little deduction, and basically going back to the previous days to use the information that had been revealed then. Also, town were careful in decisions, tried to gather as much information as possible, waited for role claims and results, and didn’t rush the lynches. Just look at day 6 – if you all had immediately lynched Empoleon_master, who ironically held the information to bring down the last two non-Town, you wouldn’t have found those out and it might have taken much longer to discover the remaining scum and indie.

The scum team worked together well, but was ultimately brought down by the fact that ¾ of the team grabbed everyone’s attention on Day 1 while the others had lesser activity. Also, the first two who died were the ones with blocking and town-disruptive Abilities, which meant that the latter two couldn’t stop the town’s Abilities from catching them (which eventually happened). I can’t deny there was some luck involved in their loss, especially regarding the last two Days. Props to mordacazir for trying till the end, despite being alone and being a new player to Pokebeach Werewolf.

I’ll say that I made the rules for this game quite lax; that was in order for me to get an idea of what works and what doesn’t, as this is my first Pokebeach Werewolf hosting. If I ever host again, I’ll definitely be changing up some of them.

Now I’m going to list down the areas of discussion for this one, and I hope that I can get some nice feedback about them from all of you as well.

1) Hosting

How did my game hosting pan out? What did you like? What do you think I could have done better? What do you think I should do better in the future?

I admit I made some mistakes on Ability results (I’ll explain them in detail in the individual player analysis) but that is an area I vow to improve on.

As for the vote counts, I went with the style that the previous two games used and I find it informative from a statistics point of view (looking at voting trends, patterns, alignments of those voted for etc.). Of course, analyzing them to reveal simsands’ double vote weight was obvious but the way Camo analyzed and used them to pressure bbninjas as a scum was the more advanced way of utilizing the vote count style, which was cool. I might keep on with it.

As had been noted back, I might have been too talkative and ‘helpful’ in some players’ questions, but I think that only became an issue because I allowed my replies to be quoted. I put that because I wanted to see the psychology behind players faking a host result or quote, but apparently it induces some form of alignment confirmation. I might have to reread and see if I’ll keep or discard this mechanic in the future.

2) Game Set-up and Flavor

Obviously, I tried to work in the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon aspect as much as I could in the flavor of the updates, as well as the roles. How was it? Was it a bit alienating for those who have no knowledge of the series? Were my explanations clear and understandable?

Initially, I had the scum team as Darkrai, Dusknoir, Sableye and Spiritomb while the indie was going to be a team rather than one player, composed of Team Skull. But when they didn’t fit the intro and flavor story which I devised later, I scrapped Team Skull and moved Darkrai to lone indie, while adding Porygon from the 5th Special Episode as the fourth scum member. This actually turned out even more fitting and logical from a game and flavor standpoint, because Dusknoir and co. never interacted with Darkrai in the canon.

And finally, the Mystery Dungeon mechanic. What did you think of it? I tried to make the Items and Traps neutral to player alignments as much as I could. Ultimately though, I think the influence of the Items and Traps on the game itself was not too major, and I know of some that I can cut off for randomization should I do this or something similar in the future ;)

3) Roles and Abilities

It’s probably obvious, but nearly all roles and Abilities were nerfed; this was intentional due to the Mystery Dungeon mechanic. Since the Mystery Dungeon basically provided one-time use of Abilities like tracker in the form of Items, I considered nerfing the Abilities as a necessity for balance.

You might have noticed that there were NO straight alignment-seers or even a doctor. The closest to a straight seer would be Torkoal’s, and that was heavily nerfed and conditional. That’s because I, as a host, like challenging my players, making them think, deduct, and seek out information from other players rather than having auto-pilot Abilities. Consequently, I think having no direct result Abilities encourages the player to post and leads to more positive discussion in the game. The information is scattered all over different players, and like a puzzle, it only makes sense when put together. How mordacazir got caught was an example; Chaos Jackal’s Passive Ability revealed possible scum (like a seer!) but it was useless since he couldn’t know who exactly was targeting him. So how would that be useful? If a tracker or watcher revealed their result. And that could only happen if people were active and posting, and the owner of the Ability himself was checking out for stuff like that, too.

Another mechanic/Ability I put in was protection from seers, via Spiritomb and Darkrai’s Abilities. That’s because I wanted to see to what extent Pokebeach WW trusts in seer results, and my theory was all but proven and I’m pretty sure a couple players came to that realization as well (wink). Also, I wanted players to try to figure out a person’s alignment through their posts and tone on the thread, instead of just from Abilities, which is not only possible but also more exciting and challenging, in my opinion.

As far as devising Special Abilities went, I tried to make it unique and connected to the character. Most of them I got from what they do in canon (like the shopkeepers) and merely translated it as a Werewolf Ability. (E.g. Wynaut’s Recycle Shop). Some I got from standard WW game roles and adding some tweaks. For example, Diglett’s Sentry Duty requires him to identify Pokemon species by footprints --- So I adapted it as a Werewolf Ability on the same principle: identifying Pokemon species, which in the context of this game was like a seer, but less direct.

Passive Abilities were slightly easier. There was no need to devise names or titles like with Special Abilities. The challenge, of course, was how I could change and adapt them to a Werewolf mechanic. This I did mostly by
1) Picturing the Ability being used - For example, Torkoal’s White Smoke. In-game, it prevents stats from being lowered. But imagined as a picture, a Pokemon releasing White Smoke couldn’t be seen… couldn’t be tracked --- which is what it ended up functioning like in this game.
2) Using the meaning of the words and trying to see which Werewolf ability or mechanic it matches up to – For example, Spiritomb’s Infiltrator. The in-game Ability deals with mechanics that don’t exist here (bypassing screens and Substitutes). But taking the word itself, Infiltrator means a mole or a spy, someone who is able to hide their true, evil intentions and blend in with the majority. So I wrote the Ability as exactly that, just with the context of Town and scum.

For how I made safe claims, let me just quote the great Athena, who has explained it well in just two paragraphs:

Depends on the GM and the role in question. Typically safeclaims match the scum's actual role power but with a changed name, as that makes it easier for the scum in question to claim properly and including action reports, etc, but that's not always the case. For example, if a scum member has a super scummy role (like a yakuza/converter), their safe claim will usually have a different power because there's no way a townie would have a role power like that. However, these roles are less "solid" and difficult to prove because the scum member in question doesn't actually have the power that their safeclaim lists.

For the sake of conversation, I can use both of our known claims as examples of this. TGK's role, if actually a safe claim, likely falls into the earlier category. Jailer is a power that could work for either townies or scum, so the only think that would need to be changed is the flavour and the win condition. Celever's claim, on the other hand, does not make sense as a scum power. If his copied role is actually a safe claim, it's likely that the power itself is a fake to cover-up a one-shot scum only role, as posited in the second option. In this instance, scum could fake Celever's role power activating by not sending in a NK, but the power itself can't be proven, so it makes for a decent safeclaim.

The safe claims were basically a role on their own, so in actuality, I devised a total of 26 roles. Check them all out in detail in the next post!

Hosting was excellent imo. No complains there. I do feel the town was a little OP but that can be regarded to our first day's luck and the huge help from simsands. (MVP).
I love your approach to the roles and safe claims in this game, as I also think it is much more fun and challenging to hunt scums without relying on abilities/roles too much. It does require a higher level of activity which is the reason sometimes I kinda felt lost and without any clues how to move on. Also, I must mention TGK's ability to hide his alignment after he got lynched. I really liked it and it made the game exciting, at least for me. :]

Postgame 2 - Individual Role and Player Analysis

CXwS7Mp.png

This is arranged in alphabetical order of player names.

@Athena

PrXluiU.png
Magnezone
Alignment: Town

You are Officer Magnezone, the head of the Police force. With your Magnemite squads in tow, you are responsible for keeping peace in the region. You also receive the cooperation of explorer teams by putting up bounties for the arrest of outlaws. Of course, you yourself will also assist in catching these Pokemon who are trying to destroy Treasure Town, but given that in Dungeons you’re level 16, you might not always be making the right arrests.

Special Ability: You’re Under Arrest!
Usage: Night Phase; every Night; cannot use on Night 1; Only once for the entire game
If there is someone you think is suspicious, you’ll arrest them! You may PM me the name of a player. You will publicly arrest that player at the start of the Day, revealing their true identity and having their full role PM posted in public. If that player is not aligned with Town, you will have them be permanently taken away from the game for public safety reasons. However, if that player turns out to be a Town member, you’ll feel guilty and jail yourself out of the game permanently in their stead.

Passive Ability: Magnet Pull
If you land on the same Dungeon Tile as another player, when that player attempts to use Ability or Item that choose target/s during the upcoming Night Phase, their choice will be redirected to you. If there is more than one player, it will be chosen at random.

Win Condition: Eliminate all non-Town aligned players

She had a pretty cool role despite being level 16. Her Special Ability notably bypasses the seer protection of Spiritomb and Darkrai, especially for the latter, as it would have revealed his entire role including the Dark Void/Nightmare mechanics and win condition. I think Magnet Pull is a double-edged sword of an Ability: on one hand, there is a risk of attracting dangerous scum Abilities. But that can also work the other way around; it means that town power roles that would have unintentionally been targeted to help/power-up an unknown scum like boosts or protection would instead go to a town member.

Unfortunately, she skipped D1 which I understand is the norm for her and was killed N2 on the basis of being a veteran. She did hammer thegrovylekid, which would have probably created a different D2 discussion if his role flipped. Other than that, she had some good and helpful posts (such as the quote above) for the short time she played.

@bbninjas

MY8Kjka.png
MY8Kjka.png
MY8Kjka.png
MY8Kjka.png
MY8Kjka.png
MY8Kjka.png

Sableye
Alignment: Villain

You are a group of six Sableye, minions with unfaltering loyalty to Dusknoir despite being cowardly and a bit inept. In the Dark Future, you are the jailers and carry out nasty executions to those who would try to defy Primal Dialga and Dusknoir. Whichever side Dusknoir takes, you all follow, whether it’s good or bad. Even if you have to fight a mad god of time to protect him, you would. But that’s yet to happen for now, so you’ll be assisting Dusknoir in wiping out Treasure Town.

Special Ability: The Jailers
Usage: Night Phase; every even-numbered Night (Night 2, Night 4 etc.)
You play the role of cowardly, incompetent minions to a T, but at least you can do your job as jailers without much trouble. You may PM me the name of a player not aligned with the Villains. That player will be trapped behind bars at the start of the Day Phase, preventing them from participating in the discussion, casting a vote and moving across the Dungeon (any Dungeon Tile effect on their current Tile will be applied to them if they’re still alive by the end of the Day). However, that player will still be able to use any Abilities and Items they might have. You cannot choose the same player on successive Nights.

Passive Ability: Prankster
If you land on the same Dungeon Tile as another player/s not aligned with the Villains, when that player attempts to use Ability or Item in the upcoming Night Phase that choose target/s, their choice will be randomized among non-Villain aligned players.

Win Condition: Eliminate all non-Villain aligned players
l6lc4nJ.png
Spoink

You are Spoink, a Treasure Town citizen. You were once helped by the heroes when you dropped your precious head pearl in a cliff and have since then bounced around the town offering verbal encouragement and opinion on the latest news. You hope the literal spring in your step can will the town to victory over the bad guys.

Special Ability: Bounce Around
As you go bouncing around the town, you quickly learn about gossip that’s spreading around but also vital information and you can share this to everyone even in death through your psychic powers and your precious pearl. You may PM me the name of a player. If you die during the Night Phase, that player’s full role PM will be revealed in public in the upcoming Day Phase.

Passive Ability: Thick Fat
Another player coming into contact with your blubbery body can make their targeting bounce around too. If you land on the same Dungeon Tile as another player/s, when that player attempts to use Ability or Item in the upcoming Night Phase that choose target/s, their choice will be randomized among other players. If there is more than one player, it will be chosen at random.

I’m sad that no one commented on me trying to be funny with the several icons up there in the role to represent that there were six Sableye :/

Anyway, bb was lynched before he could use the Special Ability which I ran out of creativity to name: N2 he was under Nightmare, and then he died before the second chance. Taking their in-game roles as jailers literally, this was a slightly nerfed jailer though I took some specific measures after what happened in the previous game: only non-Villains could be jailed, and the same player cannot be chosen in succession. Though, since it didn’t end up getting used, I couldn’t get any indication if these measures were effective.

Prankster works on the reverse principle of Magnet Pull above: it is meant to deter trackers or seers on the scum player. For the safe-claim, the Passive Ability just removed the alignment requirement (which probably wouldn’t be noticed) but the Special Ability was meant to work in conjunction with Porygon’s Passive Ability. After all, they are a scum team and they can share information. He thought it wasn’t safe enough however and so asked for a modification though I don’t think he posted it in the thread anyway.

He did relatively well on the aspect of scum teamwork for being a first-time scum on Pokebeach (according to him). He gave constant reminders and pointed out noteworthy things about players and posts. He did modify some of my safe claims, which had pros and cons on how the game turned out (on mordacazir, specifically). In the end though, I think what did him in was him putting himself in the spotlight in those arguments with Celever. When there is lack of information on the thread, showy stuff like that tends to stick to the mind, and eventually others put together enough info and suspicion to lynch him. Sometimes, there are arguments not worth pursuing and you yourself need to have the self-control to nip it in the bud. Long arguments also tend to be when players slip and potentially reveal information. Still, I think he played fine and I’m looking forward to how he adjusts his scum play in the future.

@Camoclone

uVwtbff.png
Spinda

You are Spinda, the owner of Spinda’s Café and the benefactor of Project P. Despite looking and acting a little loopy thanks to always droning on about hopes and dreams~, no one can deny you make Gummi Drinks that taste like heaven.

Special Ability: Spinda’s Juice Bar
Usage: Day Phase and Night Phase; Night 0; every Day and every Night
Your miraculously good drinks have the ability to make Pokemon happier and smarter. In this game, perhaps they could do something similar. You may PM me the name of a player, except yourself. Their Special Ability will be boosted on whichever upcoming Phase it is applicable. The boosting only works on select Special Abilities. Also, to make things fair and keep everyone from fighting over your drinks, you may NOT choose the same player successively (e.g. Night 3 then Day 4) or on the same Day and Night set.

Passive Ability: Tangled Feet
Why is it that when you move, you stumble around randomly like a drunk? Thanks to that, others can’t focus on you, so the effects of all non-lethal Abilities or Items directed at you will fail.

The boosting is certainly strong for an Ability and was even able to be used both Phases, but it only worked on half the roles including scum and indie, which I think balanced it enough. As for the flavor of the Passive I wonder why some people doubted it was Spinda; is there any other character on PMD Explorers that acts drunk aside from this guy? :p

Being the most often targeted player in the early stages of the game, how ironic is it that Camo got an Ability that basically nullifies everything except the nightkill? LOL He caused a lot of confusion (and failed Abilities/Items) thanks to Tangled Feet, and I scratched my head on why, after he revealed his Ability, some players still targeted him. Not believing that reveal, maybe? For the Special Ability though, he definitely made good use of it, using it almost every Day and Night, on people who seemed town at the point of time. He had a nice analysis on the vote counts as well, leading to bbninjas’ lynch. Scum killed him eventually, but he was able to do a lot for the town by then. I think his play was very solid.

@Celever

6pbLJkK.png
Bidoof

You are Bidoof, an apprentice at Wigglytuff’s Guild. You were the latest recruit before the young heroes joined. Your inexperience, slowness and clumsiness gets you yelled at a lot by Chatot and Loudred, but you make up for it with your eagerness to work hard, and your honesty.

Special Ability: Bidoof’s Wish
Usage: Night Phase; every Night; Only when two Town-aligned players were lynched in a row; Only once for the entire game
You have earned the privilege to make wishes upon stars – or Jirachi – and the wish-granting Pokemon has psychically allowed you to make one in this crisis, but only if the situation calls for it. You may PM me to use this ability. No Pokemon will be killed by the Villains in this Night Phase.

Passive Ability: Unaware
When you use Items that require you to pick target/s, your choice cannot be changed by other players.

Bidoof’s Wish is the title of the Special Episode on Explorers of Sky, and the Ability takes on some aspects of that episode. Why a lot of requirements? Firstly, I didn’t want it used immediately on N1, as that immediately puts the scum at a numbers disadvantage. Secondly, if the town already outnumbers the scum by a good fraction when this would be used, stopping the kill would only make it harder on them, so the two Town lynched in a row (which was initially at 3) requirement makes it more of an Ability that is a “chance for a comeback” for a struggling Town. Doctors/protections at their core are skewed towards town anyway. The Passive Ability ensures his choice is set even with several redirectors in the game, which has its pros and cons similar to what I’ve discussed in Magnet Pull and Prankster.

After the D1 roleplay debate, Celever remained on the lynch radar due to some rather confusing posts. Revealing his Ability as it is didn’t turn out well; bbninjas blocked him with an Item, allowing the kill on him on the same night through. I think he did okay, but he could still improve, especially on easing up on the tendency for non-game-related arguments that take around 10 paragraphs per post and span around 50 posts. ^_^”

@Chaos Jackal

BWABEvV.png
Electivire

You are Electivire, the big guy running a shop in Treasure Town. Your service is linking Pokemon moves, allowing them to be used one after another in a single turn, greatly increasing their potential and damage and making Explorers powerful yet efficient. Despite your intimidating and humongous appearance, you’re a really cool and mellow guy.

Special Ability: Electivire’s Link Shop
Just like how you link Pokemon moves, you will kick it up a notch here and attempt to link moves but from different Pokemon. You may PM me the name of two players, not including yourself. If those players attempt to use Abilities or Items for this Night Phase that require them to choose targets, they will be redirected from their original choices and only be able to target each other.

Passive Ability: Motor Drive
If you were targeted by a Town aligned player during the Night Phase, your vote weight will become 2 for the upcoming Day Phase. You will be informed when this ability activates but not the player who targeted you or the description of the action or Item they targeted you with.

The Special Ability was a copy of Vom’s Ability in the previous WW game. For Motor Drive, the +1 vote upon being targeted was a parallel to the in-game Ability having Speed boosted upon being hit. In some ways this could have been OP as bbninjas stipulated on the dead chat, but I figured that it would only really be outright useful if the scum who targeted managed to get tracked, which 1) isn’t always going to happen 2) will not always be managed to be revealed in the thread 3) cannot exclude the possibility of other targeters. Regardless, I think the Ability is interesting, but I might study some other ways to tweak or nerf it if needed.

Chaos Jackal posted an analysis on himself so I don’t have much to say about someone who already realized what he did right and wrong in his play for this game. To reiterate: Don’t be too trustworthy of seers, and be more vigilant of your Ability. But CJ, don’t be too down on yourself though, you still did fine, and you were the steady voice when the discussion was mostly chaotic, and joined simsands and scattered mind as the main driving force of logical lynches.

@Cypher333

w4yFQtH.png
Kecleon

You are Kecleon, and along with your purple-colored twin brother of the same name, sell goods for explorers and Treasure Town residents alike. You’re friendly enough, but you don’t take too kindly to those who don’t pay up for purchases in dungeons…

Special Ability: Kecleon’s Shop
Usage: Day Phase; every Day
As a shop owner, you have an abundance of items. You may PM me the name of a player, except yourself. If you obtain an Item by the end of the Day Phase, that player will also receive the same Item.

Passive Ability: Color Change
If you land on the same Dungeon Tile as another player/s, the following scenarios will occur:
1) If it’s an Item Tile and you obtain the Item, nothing will happen
2) If it’s an Item Tile and you did not obtain the Item, you will learn that player’s Pokemon type. If there is more than one, it will be chosen at random.
3) If it’s a Trap Tile and you evade the Trap, nothing will happen.
4) If it’s a Trap Tile and you were chosen to get affected by the Trap, you will learn that player’s Pokemon type (unless that Trap nullified this Passive Ability). If there is more than one, it will be chosen at random.
5) If it’s a Blank Tile, nothing will happen.
If there is more than one player, it will be chosen at random.

His Special Ability is one of many that were dependent on the Dungeon results. The Passive Ability is basically compensation for bad luck in the Dungeon results (didn’t get an Item or got hit by a Trap). Initially, the first and third stipulations weren’t there, but I figured it would be unfair if he got lucky with the Item or Trap AND got the Pokemon type-seering on top of that so that’s how the Ability ended with a list.

Cypher didn’t post much, which isn’t good considering his Abilities were reliant on the Dungeon, meaning that joining in the discussion was all the more relevant for the player. The most noteworthy and the majority of posts he had was raging over Camo’s play, which is a given and is not related to the game, so more activity would have been better. He also kind of disappeared in the latter days. He did give Items to those who appeared very likely to be town, so he did well on that end. Oh and also, with the way the Ability worked, I’m not sure whether to call him lucky or unlucky that his Passive never activated. :p

@double o squirtle

NuUODk2.png
Shedinja

You are Shedinja, one of the Secret Bazaar shop owners. For a price, you offer a way to escape dungeons, in a manner of speaking that’s as shady and creepy as you look. But the service you offer is a very helpful one, so you’re not that bad.

Special Ability: Shedinja’s Escape Shop
Usage: Night Phase; Every Night; Only once for the entire game
You may PM me the name of a player, except yourself. You will tell that player a secret way to escape, so they will survive the first attempt on their life, be it the night kill or lynch.

Passive Ability: Wonder Guard
Your ghostly powers allow you to escape alive if you would be lynched.

Since I wasn’t going to put a nightly doctor in the game, I consented to a one-time doctor and Shedinja provided the perfect flavor for it. Wonder Guard was originally going to be completely deathproof before I realized that was too much, so I broke that up into nightkill-proof which went to Darkrai, and lynchproof onto this guy.

dos was a low-key, regular-posting town, which is a type of player good enough for the town numbers needed to push lynches. He was smart in the use of his Special Ability --- I lessened the requirements to allow the player to decide when they want to use it rather than restricting them to the ideal that I thought which was waiting for a good target, but he did that anyway. He chose Squirtle Squad and planted the protection N2. Eventually, it triggered when SS was targeted to be killed N5. I smiled when I saw his post speculating tgk as Spiritomb; he has definitely improved on deduction and in-game discussion. He played well.

@Empoleon_master / @Ice Espeon / @SilverSilent

Dayhurj.png
Chatot

You are Chatot, the right-hand bird and partner of Guildmaster Wigglytuff. Due to being more reliable and work-minded than him, you handle the day-to-day details of running the Guild. As the head of intelligence, you are knowledgeable about lore and Pokemon. Although, you do also have a tendency to hastily jump to wrong conclusions and can be duped by obviously evil Pokemon. But when the life of those you care for is on the line, you would give everything you have to protect them, even your own life.

Special Ability: Wigglytuff’s Partner
You know Wigglytuff the best and are assured of his strength and innocence. His identity will be sent to you in a separate PM. However, Wigglytuff will not be informed of your identity in return, and the two of you CANNOT communicate outside the thread.

Special Ability: Heroic Sacrifice
You have shown that you would defend Wigglytuff with your life. If Wigglytuff would be killed during the Night (after Items and Ability effects have been processed), you will take the hit and be killed in his place. The re-direction from the Wigglytuff player to you will be revealed in the update.

Passive Ability: Keen Eye
If you land on the same Dungeon Tile as another player/s, starting from the upcoming Night Phase, you will be told which players target that player, if there are any, at the end of each Phase that follows. It will not be specified if the target is from Ability or Item. However, you can only keep an eye at one player at a time; this means that if you land on the same Dungeon Tile as another different player at any later Day Phases, you will stop keeping an eye on the first player and start receiving similar information about the new player. If there is more than one player, it will be chosen at random

Chatot’s Special Abilities were centered on Wigglytuff. Since I had no intentions of making masons, I kept the identity knowledge one-sided on his part so that he doesn’t accidentally lynch Wigglytuff, while also thinking that it could be a challenge on role claims in the thread. The Passive Ability, similar to Wynaut’s Shadow Tag (which I devised first), was a different spin I tried out on the straightforward tracker/watcher Abilities. Having the track/watch fixed on a player over several Days and Nights and also having no direct control over the player they were tracking/watching had its pros and cons while also making it different enough from the usual.

As you all saw, this role caught Darkrai as early as N2. Unfortunately, it was held by inactive players so the info didn’t come to light. I had lost hope that it would, actually… but Empoleon_master surprisingly managed to convey it on the thread and that brought a swift end to Darkrai. He definitely has uh, a strange way of playing, but he is piling up experience by playing in more WW games so there’s that. I’m just glad this role didn’t get modkilled. It’s normally saddening as a host, but having this role in particular be modkilled would have unintentionally and indirectly confirmed Wigglytuff’s claim and innocence.

@GM DracLord

O77myg8.png
Diglett

You are Diglett, an apprentice at Wigglytuff Guild. You are tasked with sentry duty by identifying guild visitors through their footprints. Personality-wise, you are polite, gentle and responsible, which contrasts with your loud partner Loudred and your eccentric father Dugtrio.

Special Ability: Sentry Duty
As one of the guild’s Gatekeepers, you are skilled at recognizing the footprints of any Pokemon that comes to visit. At the end of each Phase, you will be informed of Pokemon name/s that targeted you, if there are any, during that Phase. However, you will not be told which player has that Pokemon name.

Passive Ability: Sand Veil
With the sand and earth as your shield (and because most of your body is underground), other players will fail if they attempt to look into any information about you or any information that you obtain from Ability or Item.

This role is a seer, but less direct and more reactional, since it can only catch those who would target with Ability or Item. If he got targeted by Spiritomb or Darkrai, he would have gotten their true names, since he isn’t directly choosing the player. The Passive Ability is obviously protection from Porygon’s information spying Ability and its Item equivalent, so you can play some mind games regarding your results.

Drac did his usual, staying in the background. In a reverse twist to Camo’s, it was Drac, who rarely attracts Abilities and tends to be overlooked by targeting players, who got a role that works better by being targeted a lot LOL. And so, he didn’t get much use out of his Abilities, but he was active enough, so his play was okay, I suppose.

@Jabberwock

6our9iw.png
Duskull

You are Duskull, the ghostly banker of Treasure Town. You assure customers that their money will be at peace in your care, even if forever… which is kind of creepy. But perhaps there may be some truth to that, and who knows, it just might be revealed and be of use in the current crisis.

Special Ability: Duskull the Eternal Ghost
When you die in any manner, you can still post in the thread and vote (you will be part of the total player count to determine the majority). However, you may no longer move across the Dungeon and use Items. You will no longer be affected by any Ability or Item from the remaining living players. However, you will still count as a dead Town-aligned player for any other necessary game purposes.

Passive Ability: Levitate
Since you are not in contact with the ground or the Tiles, you will not get affected by Traps.

I admit I wanted to test how effective an Ability of this kind would be. I thought the player would get bored just posting in the thread so I threw in the capability to still vote. CJ called OP on that, but my reasoning was in line with what Celever countered with: the dead player is simply confirmed town, they definitely didn’t gain any new knowledge, and even with the vote, would still be prone to mislynches like any other player. The Passive Ability is simple but dependent on the Dungeon, and it would have been easy to confirm if it activated, though it isn’t exactly indicative of alignment.

While Jabber was still alive, I realized that I probably made the role too boring because he didn’t have anything to do, and he wasn’t receiving PM results. I’m glad he kept playing after he died, since it’s not easy to see the role’s worth after death: specifically, the fact that he couldn’t be targeted anymore. So his vote weight wouldn’t get affected, he wouldn’t have to worry about being blocked or jailed etc. I’m not sure if he intended to play suspiciously and die, but if a Town was going to get lynched, then the guy who could keep playing after death is probably the “best” choice, right? He posted on some discussion and voted in the end, so I think he deserves a special recognition.

@Keeper of Night

8mZSYGx.png
Darkrai
Alignment: Self

You are Darkrai, the Pokemon behind the destruction of Temporal Tower and consequently the creation of the Dark Future. Ruthless and manipulative, you are not above hurting innocent children and playing dirty to achieve your goal to envelop the entire world in darkness where you would rule. You were defeated by the heroes, losing your memory and becoming an ordinary wandering Pokemon in the process. An evil parallel-time version of you has arrived here, deciding to directly use your abilities in order to give everyone nightmares --- literally.

Special Ability: Dark Void
You may PM me the name of a player. You will place that player under a Nightmare for the upcoming Night Phase, which has two effects:
1) That player will be unable to use any Special Ability or Items that Night. Their Passive Ability will still be in effect.
2) They will be marked with a Nightmare Status, which contributes to your Win Condition.
The player will be informed of the blocking effect due to being placed under a Nightmare but not the marking of the Nightmare Status.

Passive Ability: Always has a Backup Escape Plan
And also because you are the bigger bad guy, you will escape all attempts by the team of Villains to kill you.

Passive Ability: Bad Dreams
If you land on the same Dungeon Tile as another player/s who already has a Nightmare status, you absorb information from the bad dreams drifting in their mind. You will be informed of that player’s role name. If there is more than one player, it will be chosen at random.

Passive Ability: Perfect Cresselia Illusion
You’ve managed to fool everyone when you disguised yourself as Cresselia in their dreams. Any Ability or Item targeted at you that attempts to directly see through your true identity will instead show corresponding results from your safe claim.

Win Condition: At the start of the Day, all other living players are under Nightmare Status
le4WeAD.png
Cresselia

You are Cresselia, the Lunar Pokemon. As a counterpart meant to keep Darkrai in line, you track him down to stop his plans of plunging the world into darkness but he’s always slipped away, and even pretended to be you at some point to trick the others. With everyone’s help, especially the heroes and Palkia, he was finally stopped and that’s why you’re eternally grateful to them. Now that Darkrai is apparently back, as his nemesis, you have sworn to find and expose him once more.

Special Ability: Darkrai’s Nemesis
Having pursued him for so long, you can sense his presence and even tell when Darkrai is under a disguise. You may PM me the name of a player. You will be told if that player is Darkrai or not.

Passive Ability: Lunar Veil
Your legendary-exclusive item affords you protection from the first attempt on your life, be it the night kill or lynch.

Fittingly for a post-game boss and the main villain, Darkrai gets several Abilities. The Nightmare/Dark Void was a cult-like Ability in that it didn’t kill the players, only put ‘markers’ on them. I added the block effect, to prevent it from being a pure cult, give it some utility, and there were no other definite role-blockers. For the win condition, I thought of having a set number of Nightmare-d players but I thought that would be too easy since the Nightmare status couldn’t be removed, and the scum kill would only help it reach the numbers faster especially if they end up killing the non-Nightmared players first, so I chose parity instead. Bad Dreams tied into the Nightmare since in-game it depended on the opponent being asleep, and I decided on it being a nerfed seer since he didn’t have teammates for that. Nightkill-proof was no problem, since it’s a common lone indie skill, and it would be anticlimactic if he lost in that manner. Also, he’s canonically way too slippery for that. And finally, in order to increase the chance for me to put my theory to test, I added another seer-protection role while secretly snickering to myself how brilliant it is to have Cresselia be Darkrai’s safe-claim because it’s canon, only not really because it was pointed out on the thread really quickly. I underestimated everyone’s PMD Explorers knowledge, clearly.

Oh, KoN. I swear I laughed out loud when I randomized roles and he got Darkrai, because #EvilPlan. He seemed excited upon getting it too.

Unfortunately for him, luck was not on his side in this game. There were two roles immune to Nightmares and one that could target and protect like a doctor, and somehow he got them on N1 and N3 (Camo and Luis). That was a 2 out of 20 chance, statistically speaking. He started the game on the wrong foot and it only got worse when people were beginning to suspect him due to his passive play which can indicate indie. He got caught on N2, and though it took long, this fact was eventually revealed and he got lynched quickly. At least he went down like a gentleman, unlike the devious Pokemon his role was.

Personally though, while luck was a definite factor, I think his initial choices for Nightmare could have been better, if taking into account the requirements and win condition. He could either win quickly by hoping that the scum would kill the players he didn’t Nightmare, or play to survive till the end where it will be easier to count who he should target with Nightmare. Either way, this only means that the players he chooses to Nightmare would need to be not immediately killed because his Nightmare count would drop back to 0. The win condition doesn’t state it in the wording but it basically requires that –at least one- player is Nightmare-d along with him. It doesn’t matter if there’s only one other player left or more than half of the other players are still alive, as long as those players have been targeted with Nightmare, he’ll win.

… Which brings me to his first two targets: Camoclone and bbninjas. They’re players who tend to be killed or lynched in the first few days of the thread, who don’t exactly qualify for what I said above. By D5, he was still at just 1 Nightmare-d player, and he was nowhere close to winning. I think that the ideal players to Nightmare would be the ones who lurk in the background, rarely get targeted (and also protected), and tend to survive into the late game. Players like GM Draclord or Vom, perhaps. Then you’d just have to be sneaky like Darkrai and not get lynched. But well, this is a new and unique role, so I’m not holding this against KoN or anything. He played and used his Ability as much as he could and that’s all to ask for a lone indie, really.

@Luispipe8

UrSV4AM.png
Vigoroth

You are Vigoroth, the town barker. With an abundance of energy and a loud voice (though not as loud as Loudred), you are always out and about at Treasure Town, advertising new shops and commenting on town news and gossip.

Special Ability: The Town Barker
Usage: Night Phase; Night 0; Every Night
When you have an announcement, everyone will hear of it. You may PM me a message containing 15 words or less. Your message will be anonymously tacked on to the upcoming update. You many not include profanity or insults, I will ask for a different message if this occurs.

Passive Ability: Vital Spirit
You cannot fall asleep; therefore, you can’t have Nightmares. In fact, you are so alert that you will also be notified when you have been targeted by a Special Ability during any Phase, and you will be informed of its description and effects, though you will not be told of the source. If you were targeted by more than one Special Ability in a single Phase, you will be informed of only one, which will be chosen at random.

This is a role that was conceived in reverse. I came up with the Passive Ability first, then when I was thinking of what Special Ability to give him, I decided to just go with his in-game role of announcing new shops in town. I find announcer roles to be normally low impact on the game and could have done without it in this game, but I figured it could be used in conjunction with the info he could get from his Passive, which he did (though he got blocked when he attempted to do just that so LOL). Learning Ability names is another indirect and nerfed form of seering, though this one was more limited in that he didn’t get to choose the player he wanted to learn the Ability of, and required to be targeted.

Okay, I admit I snickered a lot when I saw you randomly got the announcer after being one in the previous game, sorry :p. Then I laughed again when you posted in the thread your reaction upon getting it. I’m glad you used it anyway, because after the disaster you ended up in with it in WWXXIX, I thought you’d be reluctant to use it.

As a low-key player though, he didn’t get much use out of the Passive Ability, in fact only KoN targeted him for the entire game, though that single targeting brought out some major information (mainly confirming that Nightmare was activated during the Day Phase). He posted just enough for the Day and shared a little information so I think he played good enough.

@mordacazir

yv3onMC.png
Porygon

You are Porygon, from the Dark Future. You are intimidated to do Dusknoir’s bidding, and although you were mainly called upon for teleporting others over chasms, it has extended to working for him even in a different era. As an advanced technological Pokemon, you have abilities that none in the present time would expect.

Special Ability: Download
If there is technology, hacking is not too far behind. You may PM me the name of a player. You will also learn any information that player acquires in that Night Phase.

Passive Ability: Trace
If you land on the same Dungeon Tile as another player/s, you will learn of their Passive Ability. If there is more than one player, it will be chosen at random.

60EZpDn.png
Kirlia

You are Kirlia, the guide to the Secret Bazaar, a variety of shops accessed through hidden stairs in Dungeons. You, along with the four shopkeepers of the bazaar, have come to Treasure Town to obtain supplies, but it looks like you’ve been dragged along into the crisis that’s got the world in danger once more. But that should be no problem, you’ll help out here, just like how you aid weary dungeon explorers.

Special Ability: Psychic Senses
Your Psychic abilities allow you to see things others would normally not. You may PM me the name of a player. You will also learn any information that player acquires in that Night Phase.

Passive Ability: Trace
Physical contact activates a different aspect of your Psychic power. If you land on the same Dungeon Tile as another player/s, you will learn of their Passive Ability. If there is more than one player, it will be chosen at random.

I presume no one expected Porygon to be the last scum member. You only come across this character in the Sky Special Episode 5. This role was meant to be the scum team’s main information gatherer, both Special and Passive Abilities were self-explanatory. The safe claim was the easiest to make (Passive is exactly the same, Special fit the flavor), and is actually the reason why I added the Secret Bazaar group to the role pool.

Morda was one of the newbies and suddenly being scum must be tough but his team was helpful and patient so he was fine. They urged him to play up the newbie card, which he did to a certain degree of success because he came up as town in several players’ eyes (it probably helped that he claimed alignment seer :)). I’d probably call him the luckiest player because his Passive basically triggered every Day and his Special every Night, so the scum team was constantly getting information on the town. Too bad they all died too quickly to use all that info. I was a little worried when morda ended up the last living scum, but he played admirably, following the last instructions left by his teammates. It’s just some bad luck that both of his kills were blocked before he himself got lynched.

Speaking of lynched, he was done in by being caught by a watcher. Normally that would be easy to waive off, but because of the safe claim that bbninjas told him to post was modified such that he could only have targeted thrice and he claimed to have used all of them earlier, this result from Chatot indicated that he lied back then, and well… lynch all liars. Being a newbie and alone, morda understandably couldn’t slip out of it quickly and convincingly. There was also semi-confirmation from Electivire as well, so his chance of winning in the end was low. Still, huge props go to him for not giving up and playing till the end. I hope he sticks around to play and learn more of the game.

@PMJ

Tu4kTyN.png
Torkoal

You are Torkoal, the oldest Pokemon in Treasure Town. Due to this, you are a valuable source of knowledge and wisdom… and also forgetful, oops. But you remember the important things when it matters the most. Or more precisely, after you’ve had some time to remember them while contemplating the waters of the Hot Spring that you are known to love.

Special Ability: The Town Elder
Usage: Night Phase; Only when a non-Town player was lynched during the Day
They say surprises can shock you into remembering things, and in this case, discovering bad guys just might do the trick for you. You may PM me the name of a player. You will learn that player’s role name. However, too much shock can be bad for your old heart too. If three Town-aligned players are lynched in a row, you will die at the end of the Day Phase.

Passive Ability: White Smoke
The constant white smoke emitting from your shell provides you with a cloud of obscurity, thus preventing your use of Abilities or Items from being tracked or watched. They would be told that you aren’t doing anything.

This is the probably most direct seer in the game. He could be fooled by Spiritomb and Darkrai though; he would have received their safe claim names since it was a direct targeting. As you can see, the condition for use isn’t easy but it served a double purpose: 1) it’s a nerf and made sure the role wasn’t going to be auto-pilot to use, and 2) it gave the player incentive to hunt for scum on the thread through discussion rather than just hanging back and wait to target players during the Night to learn their alignments, which is I think a tendency for seer roles. Well, I could be wrong on that and just haven’t observed enough. Anyway… The Passive Ability is pretty standard, and allows some mind games.

Normally, a seer dying N1 would be a cause for concern, but that didn’t have much of an impact here, most likely because there were several lesser seers. As I told PMJ on the dead chat, he was killed N1 thanks to the “package” talk between him and Camo. The scum incorrectly but understandably assumed the package was literal and PMJ got some special item and so killed him before he could use that. Actually, the “package” was just Camo’s boost, allowing PMJ to PM 2 names if a scum was lynched. Funnily enough, since a scum was indeed lynched D1, PMJ would have been able to use the Ability on N1 with the boost, but it just so happened to be thegrovylekid, who had the seer-protection and auto-censor ability upon death. tgk’s alignment officially flipped ??? rather than scum, so PMJ was sadly not valid to use the Ability, even though he was correct in assuming and suspecting tgk was scum then. Thinking about what would have happened if PMJ succeeded is a what-if scenario we can only imagine now.

@scattered mind

CfwoMhn.png
Wynaut

You are Wynaut, one of two owners of the Recycle Shop in Spinda’s Café. You are the more sensible and talkative one, so you’re easier to understand. You seem like you always have your hands full minding both your business and your strange partner Wobbuffet, but you seem to manage well, which is why your shop is successful, is it not?

Special Ability: Recycle Shop
Usage: Night Phase; every Night
Recycling Items brings many cool benefits not only to explorers but to you as the shopkeeper as well. You may PM me the name of a player, except yourself. If that player has used an Item in any of the previous Phases, you will obtain a similar Item. If there is more than one Item used, one will be chosen at random. However, you will not be able to use the Item on the same Night you obtain it.

Passive Ability: Shadow Tag
If you land on the same Dungeon Tile as another player/s, starting from the upcoming Night Phase, you will be informed of who they target, if there are any, at the end of each Phase that follows. It will not be specified if the target is from Ability or Item. However, you can only keep tag at one player at a time; this means that if you land on the same Dungeon Tile as another different player at any later Day Phases, you will stop tagging the first player and start receiving similar information about the new player. If there is more than one player, it will be chosen at random.

As a role focused on Items, this Ability was basically useless at the first few Days. But it would eventually shine when players began getting Items and using them. Aside from the obvious benefit of using the Item, this would also enable the role to know what Item the player possibly got from the Dungeon (remember that the name of the Item obtained wasn’t announced on the thread) and thus could possibly catch players who’d lie about Items and results. As for Shadow Tag, I wanted to make the tracker role a little more complex. So I combined it with the “stalking” roles of old games, so yes, Wynaut’s a stalker :p

I’m definitely pleased with the way he used his role. His choices for Recycle Shop showed that he was keeping an eye on the thread and the Dungeon results, going after those players that obtained Items. He didn’t get much mileage out of Shadow Tag, but that was because he was almost constantly switching targets (when his target changes at the end of the Day due to the Dungeon, the PM result only states the change of targets and no tracker result). He almost would have caught Keeper of Night when he became the target for end of D3, but ended up switching to Squirtle Squad at the end of D4, and so didn’t get a track on KoN. Other than that, he was quite active on the thread and had a lot of logical posts with the exception being some misunderstanding on D1 and around D2, but he, along with simsands, became the main driving force for town on the last couple of days, so very good play for him. And congratulations on your first time surviving to the end of a WW game!

@simsands

Tdv8efn.png
Sunflora

You are Sunflora, one of the more experienced members of the Wigglytuff Guild. You tend to say “Eek!” and “Oh my gosh!” a lot. You are always excited and optimistic, and get along well with everyone. Except maybe Loudred, but you have your moments of agreement with him, regardless. It’s not like you like each other or anything, though.

Special Ability: Solar Power
Usage: Day Phase; every odd-numbered Day (Day 1, Day 3 etc.)
More than just a sunny personality, you can bring in the sun to shed light on the crisis, literally! You may PM me the name of a player, including yourself. The chosen player’s targets and the players who target your chosen player, if any, during the upcoming Night Phase and Day Phase, will be publicly revealed in the following update. The type of action or effects will not be revealed, however. The activation of this ability will be hinted at the end of the Day Phase that you use it, but you will not be revealed as the source.

Passive Ability: Chlorophyll
In the Day, the sun energizes you and gives you a vote weight of 2.

Okay, I lied – this role is actually the game’s doctor, although it’s less direct and is nerfed like almost all the other Abilities. Why, you ask? When the spotlight’s mechanics were discovered (a publicized track/watch), it would basically discourage any targeting roles, especially scum and indie, from the player under the spotlight, so it is a protection from Abilities in a manner of speaking. The track/watch is what stands out, though, so doctor probably isn’t the first thing to come to mind to describe the Ability. Interestingly, it can also be used to restrict or trap a suspected scum, because then their targets would be laid out for everyone, and thus their movements will be severely limited. As for Chlorophyll, I think you can tell I ran out of ideas for that one. Well, since it was about doubling speed under the sunlight, I just switched speed with vote weight.

I think we all are in agreement that simsands is the game’s MVP for stellar play on both the role/Ability usage and in the discussion aspect of the game. From a role and Ability usage standpoint, I suspect he picked up the secret doctor aspect of Solar Power, using it on the players that seemed like town at the time (Squirtle Squad and mordacazir) and even on himself, when it seemed like he was emerging as a smart, dangerous town and was a prime night kill target.

On the game thread, not only was he active, but his posts were helpful to both the newbies and the more advanced discussion of the experienced players. He deduced and led the lynch on almost the entire non-Town, and on those that he didn’t, he played a significant part. On D1, the lynch was down to a tie between Celever and tgk, and it was him along with Athena that turned it towards tgk --- imagine how different the game would have been if Celever had been lynched instead then. Camo may have started the wagon on bbninjas, but simsands was there to support it and made it happen instead of a tie or instead a lynch of GM Draclord. Just when I had wistfully thought that Yeowie’s critical result from way back D2 would be forgotten, he dug it back up with analysis and presented it in a way that just about confirmed Vom as scum. And finally, Empoleon_master gets some brownie points for presenting his results, but it was simsands who analyzed it to help reveal the remaining two non-Town in one Day. Then, he used the spotlight on himself, dissuading morda from killing him, and then using his Dodge Scarf the next night to live and remain with the town till the victory at the end. Just… wow.

All I can say is congratulations on MVP, and keep the good play up!

@Squirtle Squad

0kObkce.png
Drowzee

You are Drowzee, an outlaw Pokemon, once. However, after you were stopped by the heroes and arrested, you have atoned for your actions and even became vital in saving the nightmare-trapped Azurill and foiling Darkrai’s plans. Now that he’s suspected of coming back to wreak havoc again, you are determined to help stop him with the unique powers you have.

Special Ability: Dream Patroller
Usage: Day Phase; Every Day
You can either send yourself or others into the mystical world of dreams and your presence can drive troublemakers away. You may PM me the name of a player, including yourself. That player cannot be placed under a Nightmare.

Passive Ability: Forewarn
At the end of every Phase, you will be notified when you were targeted by someone non-Town aligned during that Phase, but you will not be informed of the source or the descriptions of the Abilities or Items targeted on you.

So, this role was basically the doctor for the indie. The Passive Ability catches targeting scum but isn’t the most reliable, and as you saw, it got fooled easily: when he got targeted by mordacazir, the Ability activated, but because he was convinced that morda was town seer, he incorrectly assumed that the targeter was someone else, and so left the matter alone instead of potentially capturing a scum member.

I think he did fine; he protected town and himself, and he was able to escape the dangers of his early role claim. Plus, he got boosted by Camo twice and protected by dos presumably due to that, so his early role claim didn’t turn out badly for him. He was active and contributed to the discussion as much as he could.

@TheFlyingPidove

RX9DHMX.png
Wigglytuff

You are Wigglytuff, the Guildmaster of the Wigglytuff Guild. Due to your status, you have ‘special’ privileges. You are always jolly and super friendly, although a little child-like and eccentric. Still, everyone respects you as an amazing Explorer and you can be perceptive and relied on in times of crisis.

Special Ability: The Guildmaster
Because of everyone’s ingrained respect for you, it won’t be easy to vote for your demise. In order for you to be lynched, the vote count must reach the majority set for that Day. If not, the Day will simply end with no lynch.

Special Ability: The Power of Friendship
Your sense for friendship can’t be fooled by illusions. Every odd-numbered night (Night 1, Night 3 etc.), you will learn the name of a player. You know that the player is NOT a member of Wigglytuff Guild, though you can’t determine their exact alignment or role.

Passive Ability: Cute Charm
If you land on the same Dungeon Tile as another player/s, the following scenarios will occur:
1) If it’s an Item Tile, you will automatically get the Item.
2) If it’s a Trap Tile, it will automatically take effect on the other player/s.

Before you scream OP on how this role required majority to lynch on top of having another role sacrifice for it with a confirmation if it were to be nightkilled (Chatot), making this role extremely hard to kill, this was slightly intentional, mostly because Guildmaster Wigglytuff’s OP-ness is canon :p. The second Special Ability is a seer, though it’s definitely among the weaker ones. Since there was no confirmation that Guild members are automatically town and there are no safe claims that feature Guild members, this was meant more to help alter the probability of a player’s likeliness to be scum. The idea is that a player confirmed to be not from the Guild would have a most likely 75% chance to be scum rather than a 50% chance, which might not be big, but can be a deciding factor, if, say, you were choosing between two players to lynch. Meanwhile, the Passive Ability isn’t leaving the Dungeon luck up to chance, and makes sure of only the best scenarios.

TFP is another newbie, and despite the expected stumbling over the game mechanics and discussion, did well. Slightly active, but I could see that she tried to contribute and understand the discussion so kudos to the effort. I hope she sticks and plays more WW to learn and improve and most of all, to have fun.

@thegrovylekid

8flnXOX.png
Spiritomb

You are Spiritomb, a Pokemon from the Dark Future. You are normally timid, but living in the dreary future has made you more aggressive and short-tempered. Dusknoir has called upon your assistance for his schemes several times, and you follow his orders, even if only out of fear. Now, you are in the present time, but the fact that you’re here to do Dusknoir’s bidding hasn’t changed.

Special Ability: Spirit Immobilization
Usage: Night Phase; Every odd-numbered Night (Night 1, Night 3 etc.)
Your dark, ghostly powers can keep someone captive. You may PM me the name of a player. That player cannot be targeted or affected by any other Ability or Item for this Night Phase, including the night kill. However, that player also cannot and will fail to use their Special Ability or Items they might have. But their Passive Ability will still be in effect. You cannot choose the same player in successive Nights.

Passive Ability: Infiltrator
Any Ability or Item targeted at you that attempts to directly see through your true identity will instead show corresponding results from your safe claim. Furthermore, when you die, no information about your identity will be posted in the update and your role flip will be withheld. If you are the last Villain-aligned player to die, this Ability will not take effect.

5HMQEod.png
Chansey

You are Chansey, a Treasure Town shopkeeper. Kind and with a musical lilt to your voice, you bring a warm, happy atmosphere to the town. Your business is to babysit Eggs until they hatch into Pokemon who join the team of your Explorer clients. With your caring nature, you won’t just limit yourself to sheltering baby Pokemon in this crisis.

Special Ability: Chansey Day Care
Usage: Night Phase; Every odd-numbered Night (Night 1, Night 3 etc.)
You may PM me the name of a player. You will place that player under your care so that they won’t be targeted or affected by any other Ability or Item effect for this Night Phase. However, while inside your house with you, they can’t affect or influence others in turn so that player also cannot and will fail to use their Special Ability or Items they might have. But their Passive Ability will still be in effect. You cannot choose the same player in successive Nights.

Passive Ability: Serene Grace
This ability of yours is all about increased luck to good things! If you land on the same Dungeon Tile as another player/s, the Tile’s chance rules will be altered depending on that player’s alignment (you will not be informed of that player’s alignment). If there is more than one player, it will be chosen at random.
If the other player is Town aligned:
1) If it’s an Item Tile, the chance that you will obtain the Item remains at 50%.
2) If it’s a Trap Tile, there will be a 25% chance that it will NOT affect any player.
If the other player is non-Town aligned:
1) If it’s an Item Tile, the chance that you will obtain the Item is increased to 75% and the other player drops to 25%.
2) If it’s a Trap Tile, the chance that you will be the one to be affected is decreased to 25% and the other player’s chance increases to 75%.

The immobilization flavor takes cues from Spiritomb restraining Grovyle and Celebi in the game. This is both the scum blocker and doctor rolled into one Ability, and the safe claim Ability played up the doctor aspect more to appear town-y. Though it’s not likely, I think it would have been possible to use it to protect fellow scum, the protected being unable to use his Ability can be circumvented if he didn’t have an Ability or Item to use anyway (e.g. bbninjas on odd-numbered Nights). The Passive Ability is the seer-protection that I was experimenting on, and I added the self-censor since I couldn’t get a Janitor role into the game. The safe claim Passive was all about messing with probabilities which was hard to detect if it was activating and couldn’t be checked so it was easy to fake, especially if the seer-protection revealed and corroborated with it.

Tgk has already been made aware in both the scum and dead chat about what he did wrong which got him lynched D1, so he’ll just have to improve on that. He didn’t get a chance to use his Special Ability which was unfortunate for the scum team since it was their main weapon to mess with the town. His Passive though, did make things interesting. The lack of information slowed down the discussion for the start of D2 until Yeowie came forward with his result, though several players privately thought he was scum anyway due to his posts. I had to reveal his role in the end since I couldn’t exactly declare the town fulfilled their win condition to eliminate all non-Town since his alignment was still officially ??? by then.

@Vom

GpCGYLF.png
Dusknoir

You are Dusknoir, introduced as a famous, skilled, wise yet humble explorer. In actuality, you were an agent sent from the Dark Future by Primal Dialga to stop anyone attempting to change history. In the end though, you were defeated by the heroes, and even had a change of heart. But due to the time distortion, you have yet to know and learn that, and so right now, you are the cold, deceptive Dusknoir who will get rid of all these meddlers trying to destroy the Dark Future.

Special Ability: Eliminate the Heroes
Usage: Night Phase; every Night
You are not afraid to use extreme violence to get rid of those who’d change history. You may PM me the name of a player not aligned with the Villains. That player will be killed. If you die, this ability will be passed on to a random subordinate as per your order.

Special Ability: Secret Investigation
Usage: Night Phase; Night 0; every even-numbered Night (Night 2, Night 4 etc.)
With your advanced skills, you will gather information your way to make meticulous plans. You may PM me the name of a player. You will learn that player’s Pokemon type. If there is more than one, it will be chosen at random.

Passive Ability: Pressure
A player that targets you during the Night Phase will have a vote weight of 0 for the upcoming Day Phase unless they vote for the same player as you. If there is more than one, it will be chosen at random.

w2StTP4.png
Xatu

You are Xatu, one of the shopkeepers of Treasure Town. You run Xatu’s Appraisal, a business where you open strange treasure chests found by Explorers in dungeons for a fee. As a Pokemon of few words but a grandiose manner of speaking, you are as odd as those boxes that somehow only you can open.

Special Ability: Xatu’s Appraisal
Usage: Night Phase; Night 0; every Night
Usually, you reserve the use of your psychic ability to see into treasure chests, but since there are no such boxes in this strange Mystery Dungeon, you’ll just have to apply your power in a different manner. You may PM me the name of a player. You will learn that player’s Pokemon type. If there is more than one, it will be chosen at random. However, due to requiring more of your energy for this, there is a 50% chance this Ability will fail on any Night that you use it.

Passive Ability: Synchronize
A player that targets you during the Night Phase will have a vote weight of 0 for the upcoming Day Phase. If there is more than one, it will be chosen at random. But if they are in sync with the player you suspect in your mind, their vote weight will turn back to normal.

I added a different kind of nerfed seer for the scum team, which fit in with Dusknoir’s flavor and personality. Depending on the character though, the role might be recognized immediately or not. As an example, a result of Grass could only point to Sunflora, who’s the only one among the characters with that type. Meanwhile, a result of Normal brings up several possibilities (Wigglytuff, Chatot, Loudred, Bidoof, Kangaskhan, Vigoroth etc.) so the role is not exactly direct, just like I intended.

The Passive Ability has some interesting applications. The lessened vote weight for a town member is welcome for the scum team if the number ratio is critical. The fact that it returns to 1 if the same player is voted is there for balance, but you can use this to your advantage as some form of ‘control’ on a vote and would make it easier to lynch the player you want. Furthermore, it’s also like a track/watch in that you could use it to find out a possible player who targeted you during the Night when you check the vote count next day and discover whose vote weight changed. And if that targeting came with flavor or an effect, then you could essentially ‘seer’ that player with a little bit of deduction. Plus, the usual cause of a different vote weight is someone directly targeting with the intention to change the vote weight so the player whose vote weight changed would not immediately suspect you were the reactionary cause.

I admit that I made one of my major hosting mistakes here: Vom used Secret Investigation on Camoclone N0. Tangled Feet should have made it fail, but I mistakenly gave him the ‘correct result’, that Camoclone’s Pokemon type was Normal. I had sent the PM already before I realized my mistake. I had a dilemma about that because I couldn’t take it back. If I told him that it should have failed, I thought that would be unfair because, on top of the knowledge he already had about Camoclone’s Pokemon type, he would learn that Camoclone could make his Ability fail. In the end, I just decided to keep quiet about it. If it didn’t come up on the thread, that’s okay. But if it had, I thought I’ll just decide when/if the time came. Since Vom was lynched quickly, it didn’t come up much so I guess I got away with it. But it could easily have become a major issue too. Well, I know now that I ought to be more careful and check Ability results and PMs before sending them next time.

The safe claim Special Ability covered for the fact that Vom was essentially targeting every Night. The Passive Ability is exactly the same as his actual Ability, only worded in a more friendly way.

Vom was caught by Yeowie’s Ability, though there’s no helping that, his defense attempt didn’t convince the town much. Nothing much to comment on regarding that. However, he was initially suspected because of a meta reason: in previous games where he was as inactive as he was here, he flipped scum. I definitely recommend that he put a stop to that developing trend as it’s not fair or fun at all to him and everyone else to lynch over a supposedly non-game aspect. Otherwise, he could have played more, and better, though at least he was making contributions in the scum chat. He did okay, but has admitted that he needs to improve, and that’s great.

@Yeowie

trdItAj.png
Ursaring

You are Ursaring, a citizen of Treasure Town, always hanging out in town with your friend Teddiursa… who chose to evolve after the restoration of Luminous Spring and made it hard to tell the two of you apart. Wait… are you the original Ursaring or the Ursaring-evolved-from-Teddiursa? Well, whoever you actually are, the two of you fill the same niche of being Treasure Town citizens who readily have a comment about the latest news or rumors.

Special Ability: Town Gossip
Usage: Day Phase or Night Phase; Night 0; Only thrice of each Phase for the entire game
You may PM me to use this ability. You will be informed at the end of the Phase which players used their Special Ability in the Phase that you use this ability. However, you will not be told the description or targets (if there are any) of those Special Abilities.

Passive Ability: Pickup
It seems you are often lucky finding extra Items to use. At the end of the Day Phase, you have a 50% chance of obtaining a duplicate of an Item obtained from the Mystery Dungeon by a player aside from you. You will not be told which player you got the same Item from. This Ability will take effect even if you already obtained an Item from moving into an Item Tile during the Day.

The Special Ability is really powerful in catching power roles from both town and scum, as you all saw in this game. Even one use of it was enough to catch scum, so the thrice a game nerfing wasn’t enough. I’d probably drop it to twice if I were to use the Ability again. The Passive Ability is more of a bonus if the player is lucky, just like the in-game Pickup.

Yeowie’s role was good and he used N1, which is when nearly all players most likely would have been able to use Abilities. Unfortunately, he didn’t really present his role and results well, because it made him look suspicious instead, resulting in him getting lynched. When he died, I was confused and disappointed that no one went back to discuss his results, and I suspected that it may have been forgotten so I was really surprised when simsands brought it up later on, and in a well-done manner at that. Yeowie’s quite active and he used his role on an optimal role, so good job on that and I think he’ll just have to work more on the discussion part of the game.

And that's a wrap! If you've got questions, comments or any stuff about the postgame you want me to elaborate, feel free to PM me.

It's been an honor, and it was definitely fun hosting Werewolf for you, Pokebeach! I hope I get more chances in the future to host, and I'll keep on being a player here as well. Thank you very much, everyone!

Last edited:
Question, if darkrai and scum were the only players left would the win automatically go to darkrai?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back