Watch Live: 'Pokemon Direct' Stream for 'Pokemon Sword' and 'Shield!'

Scattered mind

Competitive VG Forums Mod
Forum Mod
I feel like the legendaries would have looked less awkward if they had all white eyes with no pupils.

StarlightSearcher

The Blonde Brainiac
Forum Mod
Advanced Member
Hmm, I do like the Ability of having "version exclusive" Gyms. It's sort of like Black and White and the Gym featuring Cilan, Chili and Cress. While not a version exclusive in the way here, who you face can differ from each playthrough, depending on your choice of starter.

Scoop

Literally a sheep
I would have preferred if pokemon who got gigantamax forms got normal evolutions instead. That or just keeping megas. It just feels like really good designs being wasted. (Especially the adorable cake alcremie). We all know by the next game or two theyll just ditch the mechanic like everything else.

I've given up on this game, but at least there's some cool new designs. I really like Duraludon.

StarlightSearcher

The Blonde Brainiac
Forum Mod
Advanced Member
Hmm, I do like the Ability of having "version exclusive" Gyms. It's sort of like Black and White and the Gym featuring Cilan, Chili and Cress. While not a version exclusive in the way here, who you face can differ from each playthrough, depending on your choice of starter.

Actually, I was wrong. It was Drayden and Iris who were version exclusives in Black and White.

Alcremie feels like Pokémon's take on Madolche.

As someone who loves the Madolche archetype, I can see the similarities. But to me, this looks like a fusion of Mincinno and Swirlix.

KK-Swizzle

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
Looks like vanilluxe has competition in the fiercely competitive “derpiest dessert Pokémon of all time”, lololol, I love it XD

RisingRaichuu

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
So yeah, leak called it.
Gigantamaxes basically seem like megas but Pokemon had to rebrand them for the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
I would be interested to know how the 2 mechanics coexist in the games, as Gens 6 and 7 both had storylines heavily themed around the 1 phenomenon.

Volkner123

Better Pokemon trainer than Ash will ever be
I really think Duraludon looks really cool. Also could it evolve? I’m thinking probably not but it would be cool
Alcreme probably will evolve even though they showed the Gigantimax cause the leak showed that Pikachu could Gigantimax
I really love Rolycoly it has a very cool design reminds me of a mix of Geodude and Rogganrola (I forget how it’s spelled)
And we already know about Yamper

Rcxd9999

Aspiring Trainer
Since we might not get the existing mega evolutions in this game, do you think we'll get the existing mega evolutions just rebranded as Gigantamaxed Pokemon? I hope so, otherwise this will be the first time Pokemon forms (outside of Shadow Lugia and Spiky-Eared Pichu) will relegated to the dustbin of history, which will be sad. (That or maybe mega evolutions could be turned into aesthetic forms of the normal Pokemon, but stay around outside of battle (that would be quite awesome and I'd be very happy with that))

But I'm also sort of with AshCo on some of these Gigantamax forms, in that I'd prefer them as standard evolutions, mostly because the whole oversized look ruins their appearance imo and especially because I don't want to see them disappear like Mega Evolutions might when the Dynamax and Gigantamax mechanics inevitably die off and get replaced.

Edit: Not to mention that you can only Gigantamax Pokemon that you caught in raid battles so if you want to Gigantamax a Drednaw or Alcremie, you can't breed for it, you have to catch it in a raid battle, which means that we best hope that bottle caps and Hyper Training return in Gen 8 (which they should), otherwise this fact essentially renders the Gigantamax Pokemon competitively unusable until someone releases software (or something like an action replay) for us to edit our Pokemon stats like we currently have for the 3DS (this is, of course, if the Pokemon is usable even with its best stats) (also, if Pokemon caught in Dynamax Raid Battles are guaranteed 3 Max IVs like Legendary Pokemon, this might actually mostly offset the problem).

Edit 2: After reading some more, is it that only the Pokemon caught in Dynamax Raid Battles will be able to Gigantamax or that you can only catch Pokemon that can Gigantamax such as Alcremie, Corviknight and Drednaw through Max Raid Battles and not through normal wild Pokemon encounters? This is honestly confusing...

Edit 3: Nope, nevermind, it's the former thats correct. On the Pokemon website it states "Regular Drednaw and Corviknight can Dynamax, but there are some special members of these species that can Gigantamax. You can catch Gigantamax Pokémon for your team by participating in Max Raid Battles, but it seems they’re very rare—finding one won’t be easy!" This means that, unless Hyper Training comes back, Gigantamax Pokemon may very well be competitively useless (unless this "special thing" that makes a Pokemon able to Gigantamax is transferable through breeding, but I highly doubt it, and even if Hyper Training does come back, it still means that Gigantmax Pokemon won't have access to Egg Moves or Hidden Abilities, which may mean the difference between usable and useless).

Last edited:

Blob55

Aspiring Trainer
I would have preferred if pokemon who got gigantamax forms got normal evolutions instead. That or just keeping megas. It just feels like really good designs being wasted. (Especially the adorable cake alcremie). We all know by the next game or two theyll just ditch the mechanic like everything else.

I've given up on this game, but at least there's some cool new designs. I really like Duraludon.
Yeah, Megas only worked because all but 1 Pokémon were from past Generations and it felt less like "they should just be normal evolutions" and more like an optional buff. With Gigantamaxing, it feels like most new Pokémon to get them are just weak otherwise. So basically, GF made a bunch of Pokémon weak on purpose to advertise their lame gimmick that won't last past 1 Generation.

Blob55

Aspiring Trainer
Since we might not get the existing mega evolutions in this game, do you think we'll get the existing mega evolutions just rebranded as Gigantamaxed Pokemon? I hope so, otherwise this will be the first time Pokemon forms (outside of Shadow Lugia and Spiky-Eared Pichu) will relegated to the dustbin of history, which will be sad. (That or maybe mega evolutions could be turned into aesthetic forms of the normal Pokemon, but stay around outside of battle (that would be quite awesome and I'd be very happy with that))

But I'm also sort of with AshCo on some of these Gigantamax forms, in that I'd prefer them as standard evolutions, mostly because the whole oversized look ruins their appearance imo and especially because I don't want to see them disappear like Mega Evolutions might when the Dynamax and Gigantamax mechanics inevitably die off and get replaced.

Edit: Not to mention that you can only Gigantamax Pokemon that you caught in raid battles so if you want to Gigantamax a Drednaw or Alcremie, you can't breed for it, you have to catch it in a raid battle, which means that we best hope that bottle caps and Hyper Training return in Gen 8 (which they should), otherwise this fact essentially renders the Gigantamax Pokemon competitively unusable until someone releases software (or something like an action replay) for us to edit our Pokemon stats like we currently have for the 3DS (this is, of course, if the Pokemon is usable even with its best stats) (also, if Pokemon caught in Dynamax Raid Battles are guaranteed 3 Max IVs like Legendary Pokemon, this might actually mostly offset the problem).
We HAVE to get them in a raid? That's so stupid! Raids are pretty much designed to screw people over, because only 1 Pokémon can Dynamax at a time and the Raid Pokémon can't be caught more than once. Not like the Switch has speakers either, so you can't communicate with anyone outside of a phone or a computer and even THEN you need their contact details.
The reason why GO works is because you literally travel to locations with other people IRL and one raid Pokémon can be caught more than once.