Watch Live: 'Pokemon Direct' Stream for 'Pokemon Sword' and 'Shield!'

Discussion in 'Pokémon Video Games' started by Water Pokémon Master, Jun 5, 2019.

1. Rcxd9999 Aspiring Trainer
    Rcxd9999

First off, it has already been stated that you can do Dynamax Raid Battles by yourself with three filler NPCs, so you don't have to worry about having to coordinate with other people.

Secondly, after reading some more, I've become confused as to the matter of Gigantamax Pokemon. I can't tell if it is that only the Pokemon caught in Dynamax Raid Battles that will be able to Gigantamax or that you can only catch Pokemon that can Gigantamax such as Alcremie, Corviknight and Drednaw through Max Raid Battles and not through normal wild Pokemon encounters? Until Pokemon clarifies, I'm now stumped as to which one it is...

Edit: Nope, nevermind, it's the former thats correct. On the Pokemon website it states "Regular Drednaw and Corviknight can Dynamax, but there are some special members of these species that can Gigantamax. You can catch Gigantamax Pokémon for your team by participating in Max Raid Battles, but it seems they’re very rare—finding one won’t be easy!" This means that, unless Hyper Training comes back, Gigantamax Pokemon may very well be competitively useless.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2019

2. The Rhyperior I am still Mr. Rhyperior
    The Rhyperior

Okay, I love the information that they dropped today which is very unexpected. Gigantamax is good just to compensate us from the NatDex cut. Yes, NatDex cut happened in RS before. Just only from this game, fellas.

One thing I wonder is what happened if the Dynamaxed/Gigamaxed Pokemon switched out by some means like Roar or Dragon Tail or being switched manually?

bbb888 likes this.
  3. Wechselbalg *****
    Wechselbalg

Not being able to have egg moves on gigantamax pokemon sounds bad at first, but we'll see how it turns out. It might actually add a bit of variety to battles, since you can have your dynamax/regular form of a pokemon with certain egg moves for one build, and then the gigantamax version of the same pokemon with their upgraded regular moves for a different build. Could potentially be interesting.

The three new pokemon designs look kind of bland though - Alcremie is a waifu version of Swirlix, Rolycoly is Roggenrola v2.0 and that dragon is just kind of...meh? I still like Yamper and Impidimp the most. That new ability on Rolycoly is nice though.

I'm fan a fan of the designs of the new characters, esp. Rose and Oleana. Not a fan of the double pack-exclusive items though - it's basically "pay more for cheat codes".

bbb888 likes this.
  4. Ramo0927 I am a
    Ramo0927

I love how you aren't gonna tell Dynamax Corviknight and Gigantamax Corviknight apart when battling, they have roughly the same design.

5. Grass-Type Farm Owner Aspiring Trainer
    Grass-Type Farm Owner

Rolycoly is my favorite Sword & Shield mon so far. I can see it evolving into a train.

Gigantamax makes me sad because they are basically making designs that will almost certainly be "left behind."

Coolpilot likes this.
  6. evilpacman Voltorb Collector
    evilpacman

Holy crap this is dumb

Yaginku and Coolpilot like this.
  7. crystal_pidgeot Bird Trainer *Vaporeon on PokeGym*
    crystal_pidgeot

So, Gigantamaxing is basically what Mega Evolution was, mixed with someones fetish for deviant art. I would much rather keep Mega Evolution since no one hated it. I have no idea what this whole thing about making Pokemon bigger is about. It feels really random.
    I would have also liked if they kept Gigantamaxing secret a bit longer or held it off until the games release. Huge birds are of interest but I would much rather have my Mega Pidgeot.

On the other hand, Gigantamax Mega Pidgeot could also be 46 feet tall. All you'd have to do is build a custom chassis for it and you can replace all your planes since Pidgey are extremely cheap to get.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
    Coolpilot likes this.
  8. Sharkrai Aspiring Trainer
    Sharkrai

There was also the dragon gym in gen 5 where you challenge Iris or Drayden! Typing wasnt different, but the gym leader and their pokemon were!

9. Sharkrai Aspiring Trainer
    Sharkrai

I kind of see it as a mix of mega evolution and z-moves, but I can see what you mean about deviant art haha.

10. Johnny2316 Aspiring Trainer
    Johnny2316

I'm very excited for Sword and Shield, but there's so many confusing things about it. Looks great though!!

11. Sharkrai Aspiring Trainer
    Sharkrai

I wouldn't be surprised if hyper training returns, because even the let's go games had it.

12. Yaginku Aspiring Trainer
    Yaginku

This is getting worse and worse with every announcement. Version exclusive gym leaders? Cutting out Megas, then essentially returning them like it's a new mechanic? Cutting out Z-Moves and doing exactly the same?

It almost feels like pandering to TCG (which I... like?). EX and GX Pokemon are selling packs, now they don't even have to rework the "GX move" mechanic.

13. Rcxd9999 Aspiring Trainer
    Rcxd9999

Here's hoping. Hyper Training was awesome as it meant that as long as the Pokemon had the correct nature and you had leveled it up to lv100, you could make any Pokemon that, because of the natural IVs, would have been considered unusable in competitive, have competitive value. This especially was usual for Legendary Pokemon, Event Pokemon and most importantly, in my opinion, Shiny Pokemon that had the right nature but lacked the necessary IVs.

If Gen 8 lacks Hyper Training, it would definitely be a major step back on Pokemon's part. And an unnecessary one at that.

Sharkrai likes this.
  14. The Ωmega One Aspiring Trainer
    The Ωmega One

So we cut megas and Z moves to give you a Mega Z move gimmick... I really think this the gimmick is a huge mistake. Megas for the most part worked because they gave a needed buff to a pokemon that couldn't evolve without becoming broken. If they made Mega Sableye as an actual evolution, then regular Sableye could abuse Evolite. The idea that they'd make a gimmick that would essentially add a mega to a new mon is ridiculous, they're new mons they are the powercreep why would they already need that mega as appose to just balancing them and pushing them in as actual evolutions. I feel like this gen is going to be worse than SM when it comes to incomplete feeling evolution lines as we seem to be favoring the GigaMaxing gimmick over the traditional evolution method.

Blob55 likes this.
  15. Blob55 Aspiring Trainer
    Blob55

Plus unless Charizard gets ANOTHER new form, it's just going to be a worthless addition to the Champion.

crystal_pidgeot likes this.
  16. bbb888 One Life. One Dream.
    bbb888

Would a gigantamax Wailord be like 300+ feet??

17. Card Slinger J #BringBackNationalDex
    Card Slinger J

So I stumbled across this recent revelation in regards to Nintendo / Game Freak's recent handling with Pokémon Sword & Shield as it explains everything that's wrong with the games thus far:

GAMEFREAK ADMITS POKÉMON ISN'T PRIORITY (Sword and Shield No National Dex Controversy Explanation)

Pokémon's Game Freak 'prioritizing' original game projects

18. Blob55 Aspiring Trainer
    Blob55

Yeah, I saw the video stating that. Simply deplorable.

19. Sharkrai Aspiring Trainer
    Sharkrai

Right, especially since Masuda has been emphasizing that the competitive scene is something they used to make their decisions on what pokemon make it into swsh and that megas and z-moves won't be included.

20. Perfect_Shot Standard sucks, so Ban Expanded
    Perfect_Shot

So, about that article on Game Freak wanting to put priority on other games....

To be honest if GF wants to sit out from making these games for a few years I would welcome it. Every once in a while we get these great features like Hyper Training, Battle Frontier, new types of Evolution. Then you have features some people love and others ignore, like the following Pokemon, Contests, Secret Bases and the like. All of these cool features with GFs current attitude are either gone or going, and in my opinion the last few games we've gotten have either been weak or straight up take advantage of the Pokemon fans strong feelings for this series to make a sale, the ones who will look at the latest games and feel they're making a bad purchase but they do it anyways because they love this series and they want to support a developer that they know is capable of doing much better. I don't want to support a company that treats it's fans like that, and for the last couple years I haven't.

I'd like to believe that with TPCi wanting to push a Pokemon game out the door every single year really messes GFs ability to think things over better. If you look around you can see exactly how stressful being a game dev is, doesn't seem like much fun from what I've read. If they think that leaving this series behind will benefit everyone and that they can come back to it (maybe within 5 or so years) and make impressive Pokemon games again (HG/SS, BW2, Emerald sort of thing) then I personally say go for it. I would rather they take the time to make games that we all can love rather than have them continue to spew out games which are mediocre at best and then have the fan uproar eventually reach (or perhaps surpass) the ridiculous levels it has with the upcoming games.

People will be angry with waiting but if they can actually put it off it'll be worth it. If they don't, then get angry.

Blob55 likes this.

Viewing Now: 0 Members + 1 Guests

There are no registered members viewing this forum. Why not register here and start a discussion?

Moderated By

Vracken, Yakkov