VGC Allows Only Kalos Native Pokemon to Participate (Work in progress)

Shining Goodra

HeeHee - Michael Jackson
(This thread is under construction for the 14'-15' VGC season)

The link to everything you need to know.

The format and rules for the 2014 Pokémon video game season have been announced!

Start planning your teams for the 2014 Pokémon video game season! The rules and regulations that apply to all Play! Pokémon tournaments have been released, letting you know exactly which Pokémon are eligible, what items you can use, and how long each match will be. There are plenty more regulations to be aware of as you prepare for your next event, so be sure to read through them before competing. Also, remember to check Pokemon.com for information on upcoming Play! Pokémon events and updates to these rules and regulations.

The standard battle format style will be Flat Double Battles using Pokémon X and Y. Pokémon that are above Level 50 being auto-leveled down to 50 for the duration of battle. Players can only use Pokémon from the Central, Coastal or Mountain Kalos Pokédexes, except Xerneas, Yveltal, Zygarde and Mewtwo. Pokémon transferred from Generation V games by Pokémon Bank or Poké Transporter are banned but they can be used to breed new Pokémon in Pokémon X and Y. The moves Sky Drop and Dark Void are now permitted. Mega Evolution and Hidden Abilities are allowed.

RE: Pokémon Bank: Cloud Storage for Pokémon

PokeChimpo said:
Pokemon has announced that all Pokemon that aren't in the Kalos region or already in X/Y are banned from competitive play such as the VGC. No pokemon transferred from the PokéBank can be used, the only thing that the Pokémon can be used for is egg breeding.

Source?
I don't believe that. At all.
If it's true, that sucks.

PokeChimpo said:
Pokemon has announced that all Pokemon that aren't in the Kalos region or already in X/Y are banned from competitive play such as the VGC. No pokemon transferred from the PokéBank can be used, the only thing that the Pokémon can be used for is egg breeding.

Seems reasonable, then again I didn't really get interested in online play until this gen, so all my prior version pokemon are best suited to breeding stuff in anyways.

Magikarp said:
PokeChimpo said:

Seems reasonable, then again I didn't really get interested in online play until this gen, so all my prior version pokemon are best suited to breeding stuff in anyways.

It seems reasonable for everyone to start with a clean slate, but it sucks for competitive players who have to start all over. But that could be the fun of it though!

SCf3 said:
Magikarp said:

It seems reasonable for everyone to start with a clean slate, but it sucks for competitive players who have to start all over. But that could be the fun of it though!

True. I've been playing since R/B but just got into competitive, but I do feel for the people who've put tons of hours breeding and training into their prior teams. That said, a chance to start over can be great fun to try new things.

Magikarp said:
SCf3 said:

True. I've been playing since R/B but just got into competitive, but I do feel for the people who've put tons of hours breeding and training into their prior teams. That said, a chance to start over can be great fun to try new things.

At least if everyone starts with a clean slate, maybe we'll actually see variety in the competitive scene. I'm excited to see how the new XY Pokemon are used.

SCf3 said:
PokeChimpo said:

Source?

Pokemon.com? That's a very reliable source. :p

PokeChimpo said:
SCf3 said:
Source?

I meant a link. He just said, "Pokemon has announced"
I hadn't heard about it, so I was skeptical.

SCf3 said:
PokeChimpo said:

I meant a link. He just said, "Pokemon has announced"
I hadn't heard about it, so I was skeptical.

Understandable, I think this is perfect for the direction of the game going forward from X/Y.

For anyone who's curious, here is the official Pokémon.com new page with a link to a PDF of the rules. The rules do flat out say (pg. 7, at the bottom) that only Pokémon in the Kalos Region Pokédexes are allowed to be used in official tournaments. It also mentions (pg. 8, top) that all Pokémon must be "Kalos Native" meaning they must be caught in, hatched in, or distributed to Pokémon X or Y.

Hmm... Do Friend Safari Pokémon count? A lot of them aren't in the XY Dex's, but that shouldn't mean Ninetales should be banned for being Friend Safari only.

Blob55 said:
Hmm... Do Friend Safari Pokémon count? A lot of them aren't in the XY Dex's, but that shouldn't mean Ninetales should be banned for being Friend Safari only.

They have the Kalos Native mark, also you can't breed post bank Pokémon and use them for VGC, they might have the mark but they're not Kalos Native or in X/Y.

Pokebeach and smogon has everything legal though besides there specific bans.

PokeChimpo said:
Blob55 said:

They have the Kalos Native mark, also you can't breed post bank Pokémon and use them for VGC, they might have the mark but they're not Kalos Native or in X/Y.

Pokebeach and smogon has everything legal though besides there specific bans.

Actually, you CAN use pokemon you have bred from Pokebank Pokemon. Here's the quote from the rules:

Pokémon used in the Standard Format must be native to the Kalos region in Pokémon X or Pokémon Y. A native Pokémon is a Pokémon that is hatched, distributed to, or caught in Pokémon X or Pokémon Y. Pokémon that have been transferred to Pokémon X or Pokémon Y via Pokémon Bank or Poké Transporter are not native.

So for example, you can transfer your Swampert from B2W2, breed a new Mudkip, and then use that Mudkip in the VGC.

Kalos Native does not mean Pokemon species catchable in Kalos, it means individual Pokemon that were born in Kalos (or are assumed to be because they were found in the wild).

Kalos Native isn't the only restriction, though:

The Standard format is the standard tournament format for Play! Pokémon video game events. This
format will be used at all premier events unless specified otherwise. The Standard format for the 2014
season will use the following restrictions:

- Only Pokémon X and Pokémon Y Game Cards or downloadable versions are permitted for use.
- Players may only use Pokémon from the Central Kalos Pokédex from #001 to #150, Coastal Kalos
Pokédex from #001 to #153, or Mountain Kalos Pokédex from #001 to #147.

Which makes me think Safari-only Pokémon may not be allowed, but that may require official clarification.

RE: VGC Allows Only Kalos Native Pokémon to Participate

Huh? This got it's own thread? Lol. I'm sure it'll come down to the details given at the event, I'm sure there is plenty of confused people. So if you are going to a VGC and don't know exactly make sure to ask before sign ups.

The rules are:

~Only Pokemon that are in the main Kalos Dexes are allowed, with the exception of Xerneas, Yveltal, Zygarde, and Mewtwo. (That means the Kanto birds are legal, as they are in the main Dex.)
~Pokemon only obtainable via Friend Safari can't be used if they aren't in the main Kalos Dex. Hidden Abilities are allowed, but only on the main Kalos Pokemon.
~Mega Evolution is permitted as usual - once per battle.
~The Pokemon has to originate from a Gen 6 game - either caught, hatched, or received via event. PokeBank stuff can, so far, only be used to transfer moves along.
~And, of course, your standard use-Battle-Box bring-6-use-4 level-50-flat-double-battle item-clause VGC usual ruleset.

One thing I noticed is that means stuff like Dark Void Smeargle and Chlorophyll Venusaur are legal. (Transfer up a Darkrai/HA Venusaur, sketch/breed it along, and voilà.) Sadly, the only legal Drought inducer is Mega Charizard Y, whereas all the others have their usual representative legal.

r we allowed to use the kanto starters that we got from sycamore?

meepster123 said:
r we allowed to use the kanto starters that we got from sycamore?

Yes, beacuse they can be found in the Kalos Central Pokédex.
(When looking at a Pokémon's summary, if it has a blue pentagon, it's Kalos native, which is allowed for vgc play.)
Click here for image.
See the blue pentagon under the Helioptile.

Prince Dedenne said:
(When looking at a Pokémon's summary, if it has a blue pentagon, it's Kalos native, which is allowed for vgc play.)
Please note that the pentagon alone is not enough! It must also be in the Kalos dex!

I moved this thread to the VG Competitive Play Forum, since it's mainly for competitive players.

Back