Pokemon UK Official Pokémon Magazine

Craigyboy88

ポケモン大好き
Hey guys! I hope this is the right section for this! Did a quick search to see if there was any existing threads but didn't see any! Feel free to point me in the right direction, if so!

Just received my first issue of the mag and wondered what you thought of it? I was a bit disappointed to be honest. Didn't think it'd be so childish. Thought they would realise that Pokémon was liked by a wide age group (especially the TCG) so a bit more in-depth tactic talk was expected. Bit short at 35 pages for £3.99 ($6) too .

Nice bit of escapism for 10 mins with a cuppa though. Poster, badges and stickers sweetened the deal too, not that I'll ever use them! Anyway, it's only the first issue so I'll keep my fingers crossed that they find their stride soon.

Yeah, I was wondering how a monthly Pokezine would work without much news. Like, all you can say that will definitely happen in a month is anime episodes, which are cool, but won't appeal to everybody. Yeah, it'd be cool if they incorporated all fields of the fandom, with interviews, articles (eek, long-form strategy articles in an official work?), some kinda cool game tips, even a mailbag. Yeah, I look forward to seeing how this progresses.

Most of the Pokémon magazines I've come across have been very much marketed at children, so this doesn't surprise me as it should.

Could you make a video flipping through it, I want to compare it to the crappy Finnish version of the magazine that has existed for some 4 years or so now.

Do they sell packs thru mail order in the mag? I remember Beckett Pokemon did :)

Do little kids even read magazines? I'd be nice if they realized that there is a very large base of older fans that would appreciate this stuff too.

Teal said:
Could you make a video flipping through it, I want to compare it to the crappy Finnish version of the magazine that has existed for some 4 years or so now.

It's basically a smaller version of the annuals we get here every Christmas but I'll get a video up later today for you.

Elite Stride said:
Do little kids even read magazines? I'd be nice if they realized that there is a very large base of older fans that would appreciate this stuff too.

Exactly my thoughts. Not that I was expecting some in-depth, three-page article on EV training or interviews with some of the TCG illustrators, but a bit of SOMETHING that would appeal to the older, more dedicated fans. The poster, stickers and badges are a nice touch but I want UK-exclusive promo cards. At least I can dream...

Craigyboy88 said:
Hey guys! I hope this is the right section for this! Did a quick search to see if there was any existing threads but didn't see any! Feel free to point me in the right direction, if so!

Just received my first issue of the mag and wondered what you thought of it? I was a bit disappointed to be honest. Didn't think it'd be so childish. Thought they would realise that Pokémon was liked by a wide age group (especially the TCG) so a bit more in-depth tactic talk was expected. Bit short at 35 pages for £3.99 ($6) too .

Nice bit of escapism for 10 mins with a cuppa though. Poster, badges and stickers sweetened the deal too, not that I'll ever use them! Anyway, it's only the first issue so I'll keep my fingers crossed that they find their stride soon.

You need to consider things like this: Pokemon's target demographic is children. As such, a magazine needs to be kid-friendly on all fronts. That means that it cannot contain overzealous amounts of strategic and statistical data the kids won't understand like a teenager or an adult would. This is why people need to stop putting forth the notion that Pokemon needs to stop catering to younger fans when that is what made the franchise popular to begin with.

Sure, but the reality is that all the 'kids' from back in the day when the franchise first started are considered young adults now, and furthermore, MANY of that age group still play/watch/trade whatever it may be. If you look around at people's ages, even these forums are a testament to that. That's not to say it should no longer be for kids, but I definitely think there are things (even just little, little things) that TPC could do to broaden their appeal to those aging fans.

I apologize for veering slightly from discussion of the magazine itself, but I think it still pertains. And on another note, I also think that people who would buy these magazines (regardless of how young or old) would most likely be Pokemon enthusiasts who actually are into things like interviews, strategy, and stats.

Elite Stride said:
Sure, but the reality is that all the 'kids' from back in the day when the franchise first started are considered young adults now, and furthermore, MANY of that age group still play/watch/trade whatever it may be. If you look around at people's ages, even these forums are a testament to that. That's not to say it should no longer be for kids, but I definitely think there are things (even just little, little things) that TPC could do to broaden their appeal to those aging fans.

I apologize for veering slightly from discussion of the magazine itself, but I think it still pertains. And on another note, I also think that people who would buy these magazines (regardless of how young or old) would most likely be Pokemon enthusiasts who actually are into things like interviews, strategy, and stats.

But the thing is that TPC cannot broaden their appeal without alienating a lot of kids that are only now finding out what Pokemon is. One of my art teachers in high school told me that children are a renewable audience for media, which is why a lot of children's authors and cartoonists can go on to be very successful for years on end. This is why Dr. Seuss's books are still popular today.

Couldn't POM just have sections for kids and adults?
Maybe the kids section tells you about what Pokémon is, new games coming out ect... While the adult section tells you about strategies and has interviews. That way, when the kids get older, they can re-read those adult sections.

I bought it today. Being released by the same companies as Official Nintendo Magazine, I thought that at the very least it'd be pitched at the same demographic as ONM, i.e. puerile adults. As it happens, it's just a kids' mag. It's also very, very (deceptively, with the packaging being padded out by the door hangers) thin for £4.

I can't seem to find it and the only Pokémon Magazine I can find is Pokémon World.

I finally got a copy and I think it could of done without things like "Part Of The Whole!" and "Pansage Pairs". Don't the Annuals have stuff like that in them anyway? The people who made the magazine may as well replace the pages with puzzles, with something older Pokémon fans may enjoy.
I can, however understand the Magazine having the episode summery and explaining what the PMD series is in a nutshell; as not everyone watches the Animé (or got to that part of it) or has played the PMD series.

ThatPokemonCollector said:
I picked this up on the official retail release date.

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwLnHu50UFg[/video]

Part 2 refers to the second episode involving the Genies; not the second part of the episode.
What's a Kairem? It's pronounced Kyou-rem.

Like I said before, I wish they didn't have all those kiddie puzzles and that they would write it like the first Official Pokémon Magazine. I still don't know why it didn't sell well.

Well everyone prounounces names differently, I hope it continues.. I believe they tried launching an Official Pokemon Magazine a few years back but it didn't sell well so they stopped it. I didn't know as I don't watch the anime, yeah it's got a lot of stuff that is very childish I wish they had aimed it at atleast 14 year olds. I am 17 and I found the magazine rather bad. i'd hope they may learn from the sales of the first issue. Is there figures online showing how much it has sold, i'd be interested in finding out ?

I got Issue 2 today and here's what it comes with:
Plasma Storm sampling pack
Amazing Launch Offer
Sylveon poster
BW Pokémon poster (Takes up the middle pages of the Magazine)
For some reason I got two Launch Offers and Sylveon Posters.

The sampling pack has picture of (from left to right) Chimchar, Scraggy and Turtiwg. Mine contained:
Riolu
Zubat
Combee
Plasma Storm card list

The interior of the magazine contains:
Preview of PMD GtI (Pages 4+5)
Preview of Sylveon (Page 6) I find it interesting how there's info on Sylveon with pictures from X and Y, yet no info on X and Y.
Info on Plasma Storm (Pages 8+9)
Info on Pokémon TV App (Lower right corner of page 9) I don't know why this was shoved into the TCG section of the Magazine, especially since they say "And for more information about the Pokémon TCG, please visit..." The Animé is the TCG now?
Official Pokédex entries of Karrablast and Crustle (Pages 10+11)
Synopsis of Evolution Exchange Excitement! (Pages 12-16, 22-26)
Test Yourself! Test yourself on what happens in the episode (Page 17)
BW Pokémon Poster (Pages 18+19) It has pictures of Klinklang, Karrablast and Shelmet.
Various kiddy puzzles (Pages 20+21)
Competition to win B2 or W2 (Page 27)
Ash's Journey: The Orange Islands (Pages 28+29) Doesn't really contain much info on the OI, as it starts from Princess versus Princess and talks more about the Indigo League.
Pokémon Artwork (Pages 32+33)
Next Month (Page 34) Confirms Plazma Freeze sampling pack.

This month it seems the magazine is more about the Animé and TCG than the Video Games.

I am picking up Issue two, in a few days. I was going to get one but, I bought Nintendo Magazine instead and some Comic Books.

Back