Trying to get into Competitive Video Game Playing

iisnumber12

Team UN (White)
Hey guys, I'm iisnumber12. Sorry if this doesn't belong here (Move it if it doesn't). I'm a competitive TCG player and I'd like to make a semi-competitive VG team. I have a Pokemon White Game and I can buy different games if need be. I don't know much about VG, but I'd like to learn the tricks to making a good team and tricks to getting the pokemon I need. Please help!

The first thing you should do is download Pokemon Online (check PMJ's sig for the download link). Its a simulator that perfectly emulates Wifi play on the DS, but makes it very easier and less tedious to build your team.

Next thing you should do is pick a Pokemon you like, preferably one listed here (these are the best Pokemon available, think of them as Tier 1 decks). Read through the Pokemon's page to get an idea of what to go with it (think of it as teching your deck). Build your team, and then get on some Pokemon Online servers and test it. See what works and what doesn't work. If you have any questions, ask.

Welcome to the family iisnumber12. ^.^

Bippa said:
The first thing you should do is download Pokemon Online (check PMJ's sig for the download link). Its a simulator that perfectly emulates Wifi play on the DS, but makes it very easier and less tedious to build your team.

Next thing you should do is pick a Pokemon you like, preferably one listed here (these are the best Pokemon available, think of them as Tier 1 decks). Read through the Pokemon's page to get an idea of what to go with it (think of it as teching your deck). Build your team, and then get on some Pokemon Online servers and test it. See what works and what doesn't work. If you have any questions, ask.

Welcome to the family iisnumber12. ^.^

Thanks, so it's like PlayTCG, but PlayVG? XD

Hi, posting so you don't have to search for me. psh you already did, hi tho

To answer your question: basically, except you find your opponents in real time, and it's not browser based (there _is_ a Pokemon simulator, called Pokemon Showdown, that _is_ browser based. It's supposedly leagues better than Pokemon Online).

To make DNA happy I will tell you that it is possible to build teams via the actual cartridge and fight online using that, but, as Bippa pointed out, it is a lot more work. But if that's your thing, it's a very enjoyable experience, and someone should tell you all about it. (Maybe someone can direct DNA here.)

You've made your team in the teambuilder, correct?

Once you've done that, go back to the main menu of Pokemon Online and select "Go Online". You'll then be greeted by a list of servers. The higher up the server is on the list, the more people are on it. Smogon University and Pokemon Online are the servers that are usually the most active.

For more info, check this guide out.

What type of competitive battling are you looking for? Video Game Championships, or online battling with various communities?

Alright, I hope everything I told you today was helpful. Remember, stick to the website that Bippa gave you when you want to decide what EV's to use. Feel free to ask me any more questions you have.

Blah237 said:
Alright, I hope everything I told you today was helpful. Remember, stick to the website that Bippa gave you when you want to decide what EV's to use. Feel free to ask me any more questions.

Thanks a ton. Friending You.

Including all that was covered, we also have a few guides here. PM or profile comment me or another VG mod if you ever have any questions or just need advice, btw. We'll be sure to help you out! :)

Half of whatever the normal is, I don't remember if it srounded up or down though.. (So for example, if it gives 1 speed EV normally, which I think it does, Bagon would get 1 speed EV. If Patrat gives 2 Speed EVs, bagon gets 1 speed EV.) I'm unsure of whether bagon would get 1 or 2 EVs for a pokemon that normally gives out 3.

I would rather just start with bagon and switch out, because it would get the full amount of EVs that way. (All 1, 2, or 3.)

King Arceus said:
Unless I'm mistaken its only Exp that gets divided; EVs aren't.

Do you mean that Bagon gets no EVs, or full EVs? What is the easiest way to get EVs on bagon without attacking with him? Does anyone know a Black and White team that I can get easily so I can practice EV and IV training things?

Patrat gives attack EVs, not speed EVs. It gives 1 pt.

To speed up the process, make sure you get the Macho Brace (I forget where its found :/), which double your EV gain. If you're willing to trade online, check out the Master Wifi thread to see if anyone has and is willing to give away a Pokemon with PokeRus. If you don't know about PokeRus, its a contagious disease (meaning that if the Pokemon with PokeRus is on your party, the other Pokemon will get it eventually) that doubles your EV gain. This means that Patrat's measly 1 pt becomes 4. So instead of battling 252 Patrats, you'll only have to battle 63 Patrats.

Another thing to use are the Vitamins (Protein, Carbos, etc). They give 10 EVs a pop, making it easily the fastest route. They do cost a fortune though. You can use 10 EVs per stat, and you can use 10 of each of the vitamins. This means that after 10 proteins, Bagon will have gained 100 EVs.

Finally, there are the Power items. Obtained in the Battle Subway, these are indefinitely more useful than the Macho Brace, although the Power items are difficult to get. What they do is increase your EV gain of a specific stat by 4. Here are there effects: Power Weight - +4 HP, Power Bracer - +4 Attack, Power Belt - +4 Defense, Power Lens - +4 Sp. Attack, Power Band - +4 Sp. Defense, Power Anklet - +4 Speed). So if you battled a Patrat and Bagon was holding the Power Bracer, it would gain 5 EVs in Attack. If it was holding the Power Anklet, it would gain 1 Attack EV and 4 Speed EVs. This is currently the only way to increase two stat's EVs simultaneously.

Do note that a Pokemon cannot receive EVs from any of these methods once it is at Lv.100. The only way a Lv.100 Pokemon can gain EVs is through using Wings, which you can find on bridges. These are really tedious to collect, so I advise against going this route.

For more info, check out the EV Training Guide by [member]ISB[/member].

Bippa said:
Patrat gives attack EVs, not speed EVs. It gives 1 pt.

To speed up the process, make sure you get the Macho Brace (I forget where its found :/), which double your EV gain. If you're willing to trade online, check out the Master Wifi thread to see if anyone has and is willing to give away a Pokemon with PokeRus. If you don't know about PokeRus, its a contagious disease (meaning that if the Pokemon with PokeRus is on your party, the other Pokemon will get it eventually) that doubles your EV gain. This means that Patrat's measly 1 pt becomes 4. So instead of battling 252 Patrats, you'll only have to battle 63 Patrats.

Another thing to use are the Vitamins (Protein, Carbos, etc). They give 10 EVs a pop, making it easily the fastest route. They do cost a fortune though. You can use 10 EVs per stat, and you can use 10 of each of the vitamins. This means that after 10 proteins, Bagon will have gained 100 EVs.

Finally, there are the Power items. Obtained in the Battle Subway, these are indefinitely more useful than the Macho Brace, although the Power items are difficult to get. What they do is increase your EV gain of a specific stat by 4. Here are there effects: Power Weight - +4 HP, Power Bracer - +4 Attack, Power Belt - +4 Defense, Power Lens - +4 Sp. Attack, Power Band - +4 Sp. Defense, Power Anklet - +4 Speed). So if you battled a Patrat and Bagon was holding the Power Bracer, it would gain 5 EVs in Attack. If it was holding the Power Anklet, it would gain 1 Attack EV and 4 Speed EVs. This is currently the only way to increase two stat's EVs simultaneously.

Do note that a Pokemon cannot receive EVs from any of these methods once it is at Lv.100. The only way a Lv.100 Pokemon can gain EVs is through using Wings, which you can find on bridges. These are really tedious to collect, so I advise against going this route.

For more info, check out the EV Training Guide by [member]ISB[/member].

So what I do is:
Battle pokemon that gives the correct EVs
Send out pokemon I want to get EVs (With Macho Brace)
Switch to a different attacker
KO the Pokemon
Pokemon with Macho Brace gains 2 EVs.

Am I correct?

Bippa said:
Yup. In addition, the different attacker that you also switched in will gain the same EVs.

So, what would be the easiest way to get Pokerus, and does it go away? Is it important to keep track of my EVs?

Back