This is the VGC thread!

bacon

!!!!!
Whoop whoop

So for those of us who have neither the time nor patience to legitimately compete in Nintendo's VGC events, PokemonShowdown! has been upgraded to support the "Doubles VGC 2013" format!

This thread, which you should all be posting in, because you should all be playing doubles, because doubles is awesome, because I said so, {F}{F}{F}, is obviously a hub for you to share your wonderful VGC experiences, ideas, and advice with your fellow comrades.

As it stands, I have been mostly laddering with quirky Pokemon like Butterfree and Swanna, but it's been a refreshing experience to play doubles after over two years or so. Definite team archetypes are emerging, typically Drizzle and Haymaker teams with a splash of Trick Room, but I hope that the diversity of 2v2 will allow other archetypes to rise up and steal the spotlight as well.

As WPM would say,

club-discus.jpg

!!!

I'm so happy to see another person is huge into VGC style teams. It all started for me hen I watched the Finals of '12, and I am ever so determined to see myself or someone else, playing my team.

Bacon, you and me man, lets do this, I want a match soon.

I approve of this thread.

Now I need to go get my Timid Beat Up Whimsicott, and build hilarious and confusing teams.

DNA. I have a trolling team. Lead with Spinda and Regigigas. Skill swap from Spinda to Regigigas with the special ability. Use superpower with Regigigas. Win in 3 turns. It's ultimate

As it stands, I have been mostly laddering with quirky Pokemon like Butterfree and Swanna,

bacon I love you so much sometimes lol

Now that PS finally supports VGC, I think I can finally start some testing so I know what i need to get. There are some interesting anti-meta options I need to try out (see: Uxie) so I'll definitely post later with some results.

Hydro Cannon said:
DNA. I have a trolling team. Lead with Spinda and Regigigas. Skill swap from Spinda to Regigigas with the special ability. Use superpower with Regigigas. Win in 3 turns. It's ultimate

Give me your Spinda.
Or at least tell me the moveset so I can make my own.

here's what you need: The Spinda with the + speed nature, maxed out speed in EV's (all of them). Give Spinda skill swap. With choice scarf. Make sure Spinda has the ability that unversed stat drops. Give Regigigas: Leftovers
- ThunderPunch (or whatever punch)
- SuperPower
- Substitute
- Protect

Superpower will give +1 defense and attack. In a few turns, you'll be unstoppable. Use protect to stall for time and health. Substitute to make it harder on opponent. Find teammates to increase gigas's defense and speed. Screens and tailwind. Your set.

Regigigas definitely does not learn protect. I looked it up. I think the only moves that "every" Pokémon can learn are Return and Frustration. and by "every" Pokémon, I mean excluding the obvious ones, like Magikarp and Caterpie.

Oh ok. Man that stinks. But makes sense. :/ bummer. Welp, better have an Amoongus for your team. Pull rage powder on fighting moves coming in

Frustration // Drain Punch (or Superpower) // Substitute // Elemental Punch is the moveset I have planned for Regigigas.
Since Regigigas does not get Protect (or Rest), it must rely on Substitute.

So, Spinda with 252 HP 252 Speed and a +Speed nature, with Skill Swap? What about the other 3 moves?

TPO3 said:
Regigigas definitely does not learn protect. I looked it up. I think the only moves that "every" Pokémon can learn are Return and Frustration. and by "every" Pokémon, I mean excluding the obvious ones, like Magikarp and Caterpie.

Don't forget Toxic.

Won't matter what other moves he gets, unles he learns a priority move like fake out... Which it does. Fake out will allow a sub, then run a skill swap and such. The other ones don't matter. Whatever you want. Copycat, assist, anything.

Use that spinda with latios holding soul dew, use skill swap, and draco meteor making latios' draco meteors get more and more powerful...

I could be wrong, but if I remember correctly then Slow Start isn't negated by Skill Swap. Slow Start is more of a thing that activates and starts counting down upon being switched in, so getting rid of the ability after the timer has been initiated does not actually remove the Attack and Speed drops of Slow Start. Maybe I'm thinking of something else though.

One of the most potent archetypes that I played around with in gens 3 and 4 were Psych Up teams. Now that we have access to excellent boosting moves such as Shift Gear, Quiver Dance and Shell Smash, I wonder how well these will perform. I'm especially excited to try out Klinklang, as Gear Grind is also a good tool for dispatching Focus Sash users.

I could be wrong, but if I remember correctly then Slow Start isn't negated by Skill Swap.
It is.
I know this because I tested it myself when I played in Autumn VGC Regionals last year...where I played a different Regigigas team.

I should know what my favorite Pokemon can and can't do, right? :p

bacon said:
...PokemonShowdown! has been upgraded to support the "Doubles VGC 2013" format!...

This is such freaking terrific news that my eyeballs might explode. I am so eager to start double battling you guys on Showdown. I am amazed that Smogon did not drag its feet on this; I am grateful. This addition of doubles to their official simulator really shows how far Smogon has come in its coverage of other metagames. It also goes to show the growing popularity (let alone support) that other metagames have now. What a wonderfully fantastic step in the right direction for them. The fact that I found out about this from you, bacon, is pretty awesomely symbolic.

Gotta start building teams.

Back