This is the VGC thread!

What popular archetypes have you guys been seeing, and how do you prepare for them?

@ DNA: My bad, Skill Swap did not remove the Attack and Speed drops from Regigigas in the Japanese versions of Diamond and Pearl, but this was fixed in all subsequent releases.

People also need to catch onto how powerful Sleep is now... I've had 15 consecutive wins with Butterfree. :p

An archetype I've been seeing sometimes is Cresselia with Sunny Day accompanied by Latios with Protect, Solarbeam, Fire Blast and Draco Meteor and backed up by some Chlorophyll such as Shiftry. Really annoying if you ask me. Cresselia can't usually be OHKO by the Kingdra I'm using for my Drizzle strategy, and I find myself switching Politoed in and out all the time.
About Sleep tactics bacon spoke of, they definitely are dangerous, but they can easily be countered (I think). A somewhat-good defender with Spore such as Amoonguss might prove troublesome, but generally Pokemon that can cause sleep are not very hardy and are often countered by their move's accuracy (Hypnosis, Sleep Powder). Besides, the former biggest Sleep abuser, Dark Void Smeargle, is banned from VGC.

I think Choice Scarf Breloom might prove to be a useful Pokemon, for a fast Spore and powerful Bullet Seed (Technician) that also breaks Focus Sash. But yeah, I'd never rely upon Sleep Powder (aside from Compound Eyes Butterfree) or Hypnosis if I can help it. I feel the issue of slow Sleep inducers is met quite well by partnering them with a Fake Out user such as Infernape.

The loss of Dark Void is a hit and a miss for Sleep, because on one hand the best move in the game is now gone, but on the other hand less people are slapping Lum Berry onto their leads, letting Sleep moves have greater reliability.

Flamthrower vs Fire Blast vs Heat Wave on Hydreigon?

Heat Wave would be the obvious choice but all Hydreigons I see have Flamethrower or Fire Blast. Is the power drop that noticable?

The ones that use Flamethrower do it for the accuracy. They don't want to take the risk of missing. I think you might be seeing more Fire Blast than Heat Wave because of rains dominance in VGC. Heat Wave already takes a hit from the battle being doubles then takes an additional hit due to weather. Not enough Pokemon are weak to it to make it worthwhile to use. Too many actually resist it.

In this case yes. Hydreigon normally uses Fire Blast because it deals more damage to both Bronzong and Metagross, who might get a chance to set up Trick Room if you don't kill them immediately. Most of the Pokemon that elect to use Heat Wave either don't have another option (like Zapdos) or get STAB to boost the power of Heat Wave (like Heatran or Ninetales)

EDIT: Arceus stop ninjaing me D:<

Back